WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2018

Options

Replies

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Just checking in before I go to sleep.
    Beth-Oh, I am so excited for you and the possibility of cochlear implants. My daughter had a 60% hearing loss as a child and after many surgeries we were finally able to get her hearing corrected. She still remembers her hearing going from something akin to being underwater and hearing muffled tones of people talking to actually hearing words, water running, whispers...Seeing videos with people benefiting from cochlear implants, just brings a lump of happiness to my throat!

lol It is raining here and DH just opened the door to see how much (if any) it had cooled off. He shut the door and said "It smells like fish outside!" I laughed and said "You mean it smells like dirt and worms?" He says, "Whatever, it's disgusting! I don't want to smell that!" Personally, dirt and worms are one of my favorite smells.

Evelyn - First of all, I agree with the others; you look fantastic in that blue dress! Secondly, I just think when you are mother of the bride or groom, weddings are a trial. My own daughter's wedding week/day were a pain in my a**. I was so busy (and it was all stuff that I agreed to do). But, all of the mother daughter things that we were going to do that week before (hair and nails and lunch) all got cancelled by DD in the time crunch to fit in things with her bridesmaids (who were all staying at my home, along with three of the groomsmen and the groom). When the wedding and reception were over, I mentioned that I was SO glad they were over and DD took offense. To this day, I don't think she realizes what it was like for me or what it meant to be pushed to the side and not acknowledged. Oh, to top it off, my mother and father in law sat BETWEEN me and my husband during the ceremony! I wanted to clobber all of them! lol...On the upside; my DYS told me that he plans to just have a simple ceremony and pizza for the reception. (Good luck getting a bride to agree to that!) I really don't think kids appreciate anything their parents go through, UNTIL they are going through it themselves!

Terry- truly astounding when heart issues are "routine"! Zapping nerves to regulate a heartbeat. Amazing!
    Rita - Lovely view!

Time to shut down the screen and stretch myself out a bit. ttfn xoxoxo KJ
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,716 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.34min, 128mhr, 12.6amph. 1.5mi= 69c
    apple watch- 61c
    TRX- 43.10min, 5sets of 10ea, 7 diff exer., 120mhr= 191c
    apple watch- 205c
    Floor exercises- 3.55min, 112mhr, box pushups, 2sets of 10ea= 24c
    apple watch- 27c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 4.30min, 145mhr, 19.8amph, 1.4mi= 55c think that's a new speed record, max speed was 40.7mph!!
    apple watch- 46c
    bike ride puy 2 sumn sta- 13.10min, 13.8amph, 128ahr, 155mhr, 3mi= 152c
    apple watch- 126c
    jog sta 2 wk- 5.14min, 148mhr, 134ahr, 9.59min mi, .5mi= 54c
    apple watch- 51c
    jog wk 2 sumn sta- 3.49min, 115ahr, 152mhr, 8.27min mi, .4mi= 61c
    apple watch- 54c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 15.37min, 10amph, 149mhr, 134ahr, 2.6mi= 166c
    apple watch- 150c

total cal 772
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    B) still too hot to walk!

RV Rita in Caballo Lake State Park New Mexico
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    B)
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Cherie, thinking happy thoughts for you on the move to your new house.

:)Lisa, if this house is the one for you, I hope all will work out. If not, there must be something better out there.

:)Katla, good luck on finding the RV you want.

:) Our adventure today was to go back to Olympic National Park and walk the easy trails at Hurricane Ridge. Unfortunately the trails are still mostly under snow so we walked a bit, enjoyed the view, and got home in time for lunch.

<3 Barbie

xlw8rwc9gzfu.jpg

Beautiful! I have such fond memories of Hurricane Ridge. I am glad you had such a nice day.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Heather: The bride and groom look wonderful. I wish them happiness. :flowerforyou:

Thanks for the good wishes on the RV. DH really wanted this so he can travel and feel in control of his medicines, food and sleep needs. We bought it, & it is now in our parking lot. It is an older model but in good condition. :wink:

Evelyn: I'm so sorry that you had a tough time at your son's wedding. I hope you'll be able to step past this and will eventually form a fond relationship with your new DIL. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: Good luck with the house. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. :heart:

Sue in WA: I hope that your family reunion in August is a great success. Where will it be held? :star:

Cheri: Congratulations on your new home. I hope the move goes smoothly and you are able to avoid as much heat as possible. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: I love the photo of snow in the Olympic National Park. Beautiful! I was able to enjoy the view & snow, too, thanks to your great photo. :smile:

Becca: I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. I loved seeing the little owl and it is good to know he was finally able to fly. :star:

We are hoping to take our new (to us) RV someplace for the fourth of July week. The fireworks and fire-crackers that go off here really upset our dog. We expect at least 7 days & nights full of bangs, booms & explosions. Last year the noise caused our poor little dog health issues for months. The bangs and booms of the fireworks caused severe anxiety & he had to take medications for months to get over it. We're hoping to find a quiet place to spend the week in the RV.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for your comments regarding the treatment we received at our son's wedding. Haven't talked to him yet about any of it, thinking of sending an email, I'm not good in person, I tend to get emotional and cry. That makes it difficult to remember what I want to say. Don't think I'll be doing that tonight tho, I'm pooped! I've slept better the last few nights than I have for a long time, but always wake up by about 8, which is too early when it's well after midnight when I fall asleep. Tonight should be earlier, on the right track for sure! Stopped the grazing in it's tracks tonite, brushed my teeth shortly after dinner, so no midnight munching for this kid! Gotta keep doing that! Had a good workout at the gym this morning too! Had an orientation last week which has certainly upped my interest in using the weight machines. Unfortunately, the time that I'm usually at the gym, the machines can be quite busy. Managed to do most things, had to do triceps on a different machine, but at least they got done! lol
    Barbie, eeeek! All that snow! No thank you!
    Janetr, tentative congrats going out to you! Have to tell a short story tho. A good friend was getting ready to get married, they hadn't really set a date yet, but one day just decided to go ahead and do it. Just invited family and a few friends so his family all thought she was pregnant. She wasn't, they didn't have their daughter til about three years had passed, they just decided to forgo all the hoopla, do a quick, quiet ceremony and reception! It's almost 36 years now for them, so I guess it worked out! lol
    Enough for me for now. Shower and bed are calling!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    Took the deep water class Wednesday. Did a body pump DVD Thurs. The plan for Fri is to do a Sweet Step DVD.

Wednesday: Exercised, stopped at the Salvation Army (found one shirt I liked) then to Big Lots, then finished putting the mulch out. Actually, we had so much left over that we just put it at the back of our property. Vince being Vince for some reason kept saying that we shouldn’t have it real deep, that I should push it to the back of the weeds. Who cares? It’s just going to disintegrate anyway. Besides, it’s at the back of the property, it’s not like anyone is going to see it. Well, he pushed it and hurt his back again, so he didn’t go to ceramics (again). I went, took the dragonfly that I broke and then replaced to repaint it, I think Monday I’ll probably finish the snail and I also took the other seahorse.

Lisa – fingers crossed for you to get the house.

Katla – good luck with the RV

Rye – what gorgeous pictures. You have a great talent

Heather – the couple look adorable

Carol – about sending a cake, you really can’t do any special decorations. I was going to put a border around the bottom, but the cake boards I had were 10”. I thought that would be big enough for a border, but it wasn’t. I just sprinkled colored sugar on top. I WAS going to make these marshmallow flowers, but they would never have made the trip. Vince usually packs it well. But we all know that the post office will probably do its thing (upside down, etc)

Been having a lot of rain. Went to mahjongg Tuesday because with all the rain, we haven’t been able to do much at all.

Vince mowed the grass under the power lines. Personally, I wouldn’t worry so much about those weeds. But he doesn’t want them to get out of control. I honestly don’t think they would

I planted some seeds today, watered them, now to let God take care of them. These tiny red ants moved to another location so I poured gasoline on them. Wish I could find another way to get rid of them.

Terry – for the life of me, I can’t understand someone preferring something store bought. Newcomers prefer something from a store rather than homemade. Part of that may be that you know what you’re getting, whereas something homemade may have items in it that you don’t care for. But I honestly don’t know why she prefers a cake from a store. Last year for her birthday I made her a “litter box” cake. It’s served in a litter box with a cat litter scoop as a serving utensil, you soften tootsie rolls and mold them to make “turds”. Since she worked at a middle school I told her she should bring it to school. Middle schoolers would find eating “turds” to be hysterical. Instead she wanted to buy a cookie cake from WalMart. I sent a lot of cake, I don’t know what she did with it all. Yes, that procedure where they “zap” the heart is very, very common. Vince had it and now has no problems at all.

Evelyn – lovely pics. I really like the tea length dresses. To me, gowns are too formal. I tried to get Denise to have us wear a tea length dress but she wanted gowns (boo, if you ask me). At least your son came over to see you, neither Denise nor Pete came to see us. And only one person from Pete’s side of the family talked to me at all during the reception. Weddings should be a time of joy, so sorry it wasn’t joyful for you. But it’s over and done with now. You’re like me, I do much better in an email.

Heather – Denise’s wedding had almost nothing to do with the bride’s parents at all. We could have been invisible for as much as we were acknowledged.

Beth – good thoughts that everything goes well with all you appointments

Will go to ACMoore Thurs. evening. I got the loom to make a scarf. I’m thinking that I’ll make one for Pete since I made the hat for him. Gotta measure how wide the scarf for Denise is (I made her a hooded scarf – which she probably won’t wear since it’s not store bought)

Janetr – what great news! Another wedding – for whatever reason it’s still a joy

Becca – hoping you feel better fast. Vertigo is a horrible feeling

Michele in NC
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    JanetR, another quick story on the quick wedding line... my brother married his wife the day after they both graduated from high school, so of course, everyone thought she was pregnant, as well. She had their son four years later--and everyone in the family calls it the longest pregnancy in the history of the world. :smiley:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,807 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    Crazy Alfie decided to ump up on me at 3:30 this morning, lil bonehead..
    Katla ~ how exciting about the RV I would love to do something like that.. maybe when I retire
    I am going to drop the boys off at groomers and then get my Tal on the bus, then go get my hair done , get a check cashed Sean has some friends coming over to get all the junk out of the basement.. so my friend gave me a check so cashing it will help pay the people hauling stuff out...
    then pick the boys up at groomers then come home and do laundry
    well speaking of weddings.. my daughters is on the 16th of june.. with us doing most of the work..there will be about 100 people there, but in a park setting.so there will be games and things for people to do.. butat the end we will be breaking everything down, so I am bringing a change of clothes..
    I know my daughter appreciates me,both her dad and I help with Tal through the week, and have done alot for them..
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Weddings: I got married two weeks after turning 21. My DH was stationed at Ft Knox KY and we got married 6 wks after becoming engaged (I was not pregnant). I only had 2 quarters left of college but was determined to join him at Ft. Knox. Luckily, he did not get shipped to Vietnam and finished his tour there. My mom arranged the entire thing and I had nothing to do with it which suited me just fine. It was lovely but if I had to do it over again, I would have eloped. My father was kind enough to help me finish those two terms about 4 yrs later.

Today I am going to the dermatologist to have broken facial veins zapped. I hope it works out OK.

Beth ~ I so do hope you will be able to get the implants to have your hearing restored.

Katla ~ Enjoy your new motor home.

To all who exercise, I tried doing some simple movements the other day and could barely walk the next. That shows how much I need to start exercising. LOL

Carol in GA

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    It's Thursday!

Lisa - what a beautiful setting and very nice house for the $$. The bluebirds might be an omen!

Rebecca
    - bet your little owl is perched somewhere nearby watching you. Even at that age they have substantial talons so had a kitty or something else decided to make a meal of him, I'm betting he would have come out on top.

Evie - lovely dress! Great color for you! The best part about the wedding is that it is OVER. Am I right? I am inclined to believe that for big functions like this, no one is in their right mind, lol. Hopefully as time goes on, the memories of hurt feelings will fade and good memories will resurface.

When in my early 20's, I was asked by my best high school friend to help with her wedding - I wasn't an attendant but had some important function. Well, she decided to have it on Thanksgiving evening so her old high school friends could attend since they'd be back home anyhow! The wedding was at a church in another little town. Turned out to be one of the worst blizzards in Northern Indiana history that day and people risked life and limb getting to and from that evening wedding. I decided then and there when and if I got married it would be teensy with only family present. And that's exactly how it turned out.

Cherie
    - I don't envy you moving in the heat. Good ideas on keeping cool. I can see us doing it all at night when it is cooler and keeping all the neighbors up with doors slamming, lights on, yelling, etc. >:) Welcome to the neighborhood.

Took the dogs to the groomer yesterday. They are too FAT! Especially Rosie, she's a butterball despite being on low-cal food. I knew she wasn't all fluffy hair. So the chow is going to be cut back a bit and she'll get a bit of shredded cabbage and carrots (which she loves) on top of her kibble instead of a bit of rotisserie chicken and yogurt.

Barbie
    - going to explore the park is terrific, thank you for the photos. And your comments about how light it's getting.... we have black out curtains but it seems that the light starts seeping in around them at 3:30 or earlier. The bedroom is on the NW corner of the house so they really help at night.

Rita - hope it starts cooling off! How long are you planning to stay in NM?

Katla - enjoy your new motorhome, hope you can find a quiet place to park it during fireworks week. Any more news on your nightmare neighbor moving?

Michele - you are so sweet to send Denise a birthday cake. When I was working in Seattle, my grandmother in Indiana decided to send me a birthday cake to my work address to make sure I'd get it. She and my sis had it packed well, and my sis kept calling to see if I'd received it yet. I didn't. Sis put a tracer on it, turns out the mailman delivered it to the office next door to us in the same building. I found it there and asked the DUFUS office girl why no one had let me know or directed the mailman to the next door when he delivered it. She just shrugged. No one had the internet/facebook or cellphones yet so she had no excuse, lol. The cake was nearly 2 weeks old and a shriveled stale hockey puck by then.

Time to get crackin. Dentist early this morning for tooth cleaning, the hygienist is named Joy and she is a blast. Good name for her.

By the way, where's Barbara AHMOD? And DJ?? I've been skipping around so maybe missed them.

Have a lovely day! <3

Lanette
    Cool and dry SW WA State