WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2018

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    Barbie ~ I am wondering if perhaps you did not have your privacy settings activated on Facebook. I seldom get any of the type of posts that you mentioned.

Carol, I was thinking the same thing. I have the settings adjusted so I don't see posts I don't want to see. I have so many friends and relatives scattered across the country I would miss not seeing their photos, hearing about their new babies and their graduates, etc. It would be different if the only reason I had Facebook was to see an occasional photo from one friend. It wouldn't be worth it.

Karen in Virginia
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Commenting on the Facebook thing... Any time my Facebook "friends" number gets over 100, I start deleting people. Not sure why that's a thing for me, but I think it's the impossibility of having that many actual friends, in the more classic sense. At the moment, I have 112, and that's exceeding my comfort limit.

Of those hundred folks, there are at least 75 that I "Unfollow." In other words, they can still see my posts, which I use for communicating my blogs, mostly, but I don't see them in my news feed ever, unless they specifically tag me, which few people do. There are another dozen or so that I have paused for 30 days. I just checked, and there are only two out of that entire number that I am actually "following," which means I see everything they post.

When you look at any post on FB, you have the ability to select the dots at the top right of the post and either unfollow that person completely (but still keep them as a friend) or stop seeing their posts for 30 days at a time. You can also do this with most advertising and other posts that you just don't want to see.

The ones that I continue to see are mostly family and a few friends from here.

So, in other words, you can shape your Facebook feed to avoid those you just don't want to know that much about, while still seeing those you do.

Lisa in Arkansas
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    Kkk
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    Barbie I don't go to Facebook often. If all you want to do is see your friends pictures. You just go to your friend and her timeline to see them. I agree about the privacy settings. I also do not post any additional info about me. You had to give your birthday to join I did learn how to take that off by looking up directions on line.

It is a reminder that anything you post on a public sight anyone can see it.

:heart: Margaret

Yes ... including this site here! :)

But also yes ... you can choose to leave a lot of information blank on FB. You do have some control over how you use it or what you do with it.

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,428 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    AH, Facebook, lol. Love/hate relationship. I "follow" very few people, as I found the endless "lost dogs" and political nattering to be too much. The people I did follow often had angry "trolls" who were ready to proclaim the end of the world due to current politics in response to "we had a nice day at the lake", lol. :#

I found the solution is to use the "Block" feature. I am now up to nearly 50 persons who are blocked. :) So if they post their disruptive comments on a friend's page, it simply does not appear. Yet, responses to their comments does appear so makes for some entertaining one sided exchanges, lol.

And I have unfriended some, for the sake of my blood pressure. I can think of two of my classmates who are very talented artists and cabinet makers, they go on wonderful trips, have neat grandchildren, etc. Fun stuff to know about and I used to enjoy reading about it. Lately, when I check out their page, it's endless, mindless, blatantly inaccurate political memes - I am sorry their lives appear to have degenerated into the hate stage for all their friends to see. And these are folks on BOTH sides of the political spectrum who were in the top ten in my class! I don't want to see it. Buh -bye.

Good things about Facebook are the weather reports - I follow weather nation which gives videos of weather events across the country. Love seeing this without ads. We don't watch local or national news (isn't available through our Roku internet TV) so keep up on the news this way and our local newspaper has an online edition. My DH fills in the gap on national events with Bloomberg news which seems pretty fair and balanced. They mostly just give the facts and leave opinions aside, at least during the times he has it on.

If something interests me I can investigate it further online.

Lanette
    Cool, cloudy SW WA State
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    💟💗💖💟💗💖💟💗💖⚓
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Yesterday missed all goals except walking Tumble and AF. Trying not to let perfect derail the good. Joe reported Tumble ate 1/3 of his cheeseburger, but refused dinner again so I'll watch her closely today and if she seems droopy will rush her off to the vet.

My friend who has suffered long and hard may now be a ventilator. Does anyone ever survive being ventilated? Getting facts long distance from him and his friend, both struggling with mental issues, is problematic. Left my number with the charge nurse, but thanks to HIPA she/they can't tell me anything. Florida is such a long way from Oregon.

CJ (((hugs))). Sharing our burdens helps. Glad you're back.
    Heather tiny bites and baby steps. yeah!
    KJ ditto, if we had the $$ would way rather pay someone to clean than grocery shop. No brainer. Double ditto horrified at thought of Joe doing the weekly grocery shopping, no produce and lots of canned corned beef hash and Donettes ;)
    NYKaren lovely daughter, wow 20? Thought she might be a high school exchange student :) What will she be studying abroad?
    Rebecca (snort) thank you for the key to math word problems :)
    Donna from Oak Park, better a week late than never!
    Kylia well done for passing the baton, and for raising next generation willing to step up.
    Lenora we'll miss you. Please return after taking all the time you need.
    Kim, lovely cake, great steel wool vs squirrel tip!
    Wendy and Tracey love the compassion over math. Alas afraid you got my compassion and I got your math, kinda. Geometry yes, makes sense to me. Algebra I have to relearn every time I need to use it. Pfaugh.
    Barbie hoping Jake's follow up appt shows the odd blood test results are nothing serious. "MFP is so much more interesting and meaningful" thanks to YOU and the gals in this thread. Grateful to you all.
    Carol and Karen in Va ditto about the FB privacy settings.
    Lisa thanks so much for the details about unfollowing but keeping friends. I've always just ignored my newsfeed, using email alerts to check in on those I really wanted to. But I've been missing so much! Just enjoyed a few minutes newsfeed and now its time to stand UP, get DOWN on the floor and START my day.

Welcome AliceNov, let us know what you'd like to be called and generally where you are to help us keep you straight.

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 7/8, meditate 5/8, walk one more step 4/8, knee exercises 5/8, walk Tumble 5/8 times, SWSY 0/2, hang up or purge art 0/1
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I never had any desire to join Facebook. Neither did my husband. So we never did.

What surprised and still surprises me is the level of irritation and hostility our decision engenders. As if it is a personal affront to the person that we don’t Facebook. I’ve mostly managed to explain to family that security concerns and social and corporate dislike keep us away.

The most offended and hostile group, however are John’s friends. And they accept that John won’t Facebook as one of his eccentricities. It is me they blame (and it is blame) for the antisocial affront of not following their lives and sharing John’s life with them on Facebook. And oddly, John is also a bit irritated that I don’t do that too.

Me, I talk to my few friends, I stay in touch with the families (John’s and mine) and when John decides to drive to visit his lifelong friends (none of whom live in this city) I generally accompanied him. I certainly play host to his friends on several occasions throughout the year as some always seem to be driving through town.

But to these people I am John’s wife who they generally don’t even see or talk with. That is fine, truly except for John we don’t have much in common. But I don’t understand everyone’s expectation that I should share their lives and mine with them on Facebook just because they are friends with my husband. Not my job.

Sorry for the rant. I don’t ‘get’ Facebook. Many of those that enjoy it don’t ‘get’ me. Lol, just another day in the life... :)

Rye
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    KJ & Barbara I would rather have help cleaning than shopping if everything were equal and I had the funds. But I don’t drive, so shopping can be a bigger deal to arrange when John is busy at work or out of town. And he hates grocery shopping, so it is becoming a big deal anyway.

I’ve seen the grocery pick-up services, but again, I’m not sure I’d want to allow someone else to pick my produce. So our latest arrangement is he drops me at the store, then he drives to a fast food place and picks up food and eats it in the car in the grocery store parking lot Then if I’m still in the store he’ll come in.

Unlike Machka’s mother, I’m not very organized with good lists etc., but we generally do this only once a week since John abhors it. So if I forget something, I generally just do without.

Big items, bulk staples like oatmeal, John’s coffeemate, paper towels, cokes and meat for instance are picked up in our Costco run. Every time John runs out of Coke Zero or coffee sweetener it’s time to go back to Costco lol.
  • DebCountsAll
    DebCountsAll Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    I never had any desire to join Facebook. Neither did my husband. So we never did.

What surprised and still surprises me is the level of irritation and hostility our decision engenders. As if it is a personal affront to the person that we don’t Facebook. I’ve mostly managed to explain to family that security concerns and social and corporate dislike keep us away.

The most offended and hostile group, however are John’s friends. And they accept that John won’t Facebook as one of his eccentricities. It is me they blame (and it is blame) for the antisocial affront of not following their lives and sharing John’s life with them on Facebook. And oddly, John is also a bit irritated that I don’t do that too.

Me, I talk to my few friends, I stay in touch with the families (John’s and mine) and when John decides to drive to visit his lifelong friends (none of whom live in this city) I generally accompanied him. I certainly play host to his friends on several occasions throughout the year as some always seem to be driving through town.

But to these people I am John’s wife who they generally don’t even see or talk with. That is fine, truly except for John we don’t have much in common. But I don’t understand everyone’s expectation that I should share their lives and mine with them on Facebook just because they are friends with my husband. Not my job.

Sorry for the rant. I don’t ‘get’ Facebook. Many of those that enjoy it don’t ‘get’ me. Lol, just another day in the life... :)

Rye

Wow. This right here is the emotional labor that women are expected to take on as their "role." Usually when you make it clear (in a friendly, warm way) that His Friends are His to maintain, the offended party suddenly sees the light.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,428 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Happy Monday ladies!

I read (heavily skimmed, lol) Michael Mosley's 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet book yesterday. Some takeaways as far as blood sugar (and true to some extent for weight loss in general):
    • Losing weight rapidly is good for the blood sugar - and his research indicates a person who loses rapidly is more apt to keep it off. Quite different than what I'd been taught.
    • Move as much as possible. A person who stands while at the computer, for example, burns a lot more glucose. He said to aim for an hour or more. Don't sit still for over 30 minutes.
    • His ideas for a Mediterranean diet just about match the way I like to eat, and I took the online test which indicated I'd do well with a 5:2 eating plan. 5 days of lower carb Mediterranean -note, not LOW carb - just cutting out "white" starches (potatoes, rice, white flour) and simple sugars and eating more eggs, whole dairy, green veggies, organic meats, beans, lentils, nuts and seeds, low glycemic fruits such as berries. Then 2 days (any 2 days I wish) of 800 low-carb calories.
    With that, I've been experimenting. Last evening after supper, I did three 30 second "jog in place" sessions with dancing for a minute or two between. Remember the Jerk? The Swim? the Hullaballoo? LOL. Just enough to get the heart rate up a bit. Happily, FBS was 99 this morning. He's a big fan of the High Intensity type training, so this is my effort without jogging down the road or getting on a bike. Neither of which I can do well anymore.

Again, this appeals to me and my circumstances and might not be applicable in everyone's situation. Our bodies and metabolisms and methods are different - and if what you are doing works, you have my applause and support!!

I'm anxious to run this by my doc tomorrow.

Oh, I forgot to mention - a Facebook feature I use all the time is messaging. Many of my friends no longer use regular email, so even on days I don't check out my favorite groups (mostly fitness and gardening) I connect with folks in this way. It's kind of a pain so the messages are kept short, lol. B)

Have a great day!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Heather my heart goes out to you. My BFF held my hand during blood transfusions, she later often recalled my presence made a huge difference to her, especially during a really rough one. Sadly I didn't remember, guess I was just consumed with worry at the time.
    Rye sounds to me like John's friends are channeling their frustration with his quirk on to you as a handy target. John's irritation is particularly frustrating. He should pull up his big boy pants and either do his own FB or tell his friends HE won't and won't ask you to do something he won't. Glad you know it's not your job.

Just had to pop in with this. Guess the few ounces of protein she DOES eat are enough for now.
    https://youtu.be/Ds7htFPTo4s

and this is Tumble at 4 months.
    https://www.facebook.com/barbarajeankennedy.williams/videos/902421363152270/

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 7/8, meditate 5/8, walk one more step 4/8, knee exercises 5/8, walk Tumble 5/8 times, SWSY 0/2, hang up or purge art 0/1
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Facebook: The only people I really follow are my family members and one long time friend plus a few people from MFP. I love being able to see pics that family has posted and I post pics of my grand kids. I do not live close to most of my relatives so it is really nice to see what is going on in their lives. I never post rants or political opinions. I figure none of that is anyone else's business.

Rye: I am sorry you have folks who make you feel bad for not joining Facebook. My husband is not on it but enjoys seeing the funny blurbs my sister posts (the ones of pets being cute) and the pics of the family.

YouTube: I have just recently discovered it. Didn't realize you could get so much information about exercise and health there as well as How To's about almost everything that is not working. Love the 60's music too.

Carol in GA