WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2018

Options

Replies

• coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Getting into a strange series called "Dietland". I don't know if I am entertained or repulsed by it yet! Its very quirky!
    Rebecca
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    m3j3nbrr8z5o.jpg
    😁😀😬
    Rebecca
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    And sometimes the only thing!
    Haahaa
    Rebecca
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    everyoneThank you all for welcoming me back.
    Heather please accept my sincerest condolences to DH and yourself.

Has anyone used The Good Gut Diet by Dr. Mullin at Johns Hopkins? A friend recommend s it. She said it was hard to follow but she lost weight and feels so much better.

Again, thank you all so much.

CJ
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,812 Member
    Options
    Haahaa
    Rebecca

I think we need a laughing button just for your posts! We can call it Rebecca’s button.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    dfrazier07 wrote: »
    I will be 50 this month and hoping I can participate in this message board. Needing some motivation! Thank you, Denise

:)Hi Denise, I hope you will become a regular participant. These ladies keep me focused and teach me a lot. It has helped me to have a support group that I can go to every day at any time of the day.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    Haahaa
    Rebecca

I think we need a laughing button just for your posts! We can call it Rebecca’s button.
    Yep, sounds good to me! When I was a nudist in California, I would feel naked if I didn't have earrings on! It seems like a world away now. I mentally am a nudist under me clothes though. I am officially what we used to call a pale butted person....a cotton-tail!
    Rebecca
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Machka – I agree with you - Traveling, longer stays and really being in country, not at some everything included resort, is a really good way to understand the world, appreciate what you have, and have a broader perspective… I did not have the opportunity until I was in my 35+ years and then only a few times, but both going to first and third world countries was a great experience for me, and I believe made me both more thankful and more compassionate.

Facebook – I use it a lot as a business tool, I have a business page (separate from my personal page) my personal page is as limited as I can make it with security tools, and at 63 friends (3 of those blocked) it is something I mostly ignore, I do on occasion learn something interesting about the god kids/niece/nephew…

Barbara – s.coast --- OMG I was playing your video and my dog is going NUTS looking for the squeak toy. It was fun to hear your voice!

Heather – so true! So sorry to hear, please pass on my condolences to DH - Loss is so hard especially when it is sudden.

Smiles

Kim from N. California
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Did hula hoop for 5 minutes, held my plank for 3 minutes, then took the extremepump class. The plan for tomorrow is to do Tony Horton’s 10 Minute Trainer DVD.

Kim – I’m sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant what was your recipe for the icing?

Wendy – your husband wanting to map out where you plant you plants sounds like something that OCD Vince would do….lol Love your answer to him! I tell the kids that Vince may be book smart (he is) but I’m the person who is more people smart (that’s true)

M – I would say that I’m pretty meticulous like your mom. Usually on Tues or Wed I plan the following weeks’ meals and write down in a calendar that I have what we’ll be eating. Sometimes I have to print out a recipe for something. But in this way I can make up a shopping list of what I need (meats, etc). Then I usually go food shopping (when it works into the schedule) on Thurs or Fri. I try to do most if not all of the cooking on Saturday (this includes any desserts that I need to make). I also on Tues or Wed map out what exercise I will do the following week and write it in this calendar. I check if there’s a reason why I need to do a workout for less than an hour. The time I used the pick up service at the store I had to decide what items I could wait a few weeks for and which ones I needed right then. That was the hardest part. I, also, like looking at the other options at the store. That’s one reason why I like a big store, versus Vince who likes a small store where there’s only 2 options. When we’re close to running out of something (like cereal), that’s when I write it on a grocery list which I keep on my phone in my pocketbook (handbag…lol) so it’s always available to me if I run into a store.

I haven’t deactivated my facebook account, either. Honestly, I play “Words with Friends” more than anything else. I also like keeping in touch with the kids

Yesterday used some of the stain-free in the spa. It looks much bluer now. The problem with this stuff is that it dissolves so quickly. I can see where it had already dissolved so it didn’t clean one wall far down. What I did was I had a sock, and I put the sock on and then some of the stain free on the sock. Next time I think we’ll drain the spa some and then I can probably reach the bottom walls of the spa. I most likely won’t be able to reach the bottom, tho, without having to put my head under the water. Vince and I went out and looked at the lights he has. They do look nice, I must say.

Gamelia – welcome!

Remember I was talking about the bubba mug that I got that had the taste of coffee in it so I was going to soak it with peppermint and hopefully the coffee flavor would be masked at least by the peppermint. Well, it WORKED!!

Okie – the latest recipe I got for icing calls for you to add some meringue powder and then whip it real good. I’ve found that makes it somewhat light and fluffy.

I think I’ve only unfriended someone a few times…and that’s because they died

Rye – Vince gets so upset when a company says something like “visit our Facebook page”. He won’t have anything to do with facebook. And he’d absolutely kill me if I ever posted something about where I was at that moment (assuming I’m not at home), or something like “on the way to Florida”. When I broke the bone in my foot and Vince had to take me food shopping, what he would do is drop me off in front of the store then go, park, and read a book or his email or something. Then, when I was finished I’d have to call him and he’d pick me up.

Exercised, stopped at the Salvation Army then went to Aldi. Then home, got dinner ready, post office, bowling, CVS, home for dinner, Publix then ceramics then mahjongg. Now home for the night

Katie – good luck to you tomorrow

Looks like we got a new neighbor across the street. I’ll give them time to settle in and probably take over a banana bread. I have so many bananas in the freezer since they were so cheap

Carol – whenever Vince needs to do something, he ALWAYS goes to uTube. That’s where he learned how to repair the mower deck and just recently got tips on putting the grout on the tiles. He said that there was one thing that he did that if he hadn’t seen that video, he wouldn’t have known to do it and it would have been a real big problem. I used it to find things about using the loom for making a scarf, hat and now blanket. I also use it to look at exercise DVD's to see if it would be something that I'd be interested in.

Heather – so sorry for your hubby

Rebecca – I’ve started watching “Dietland”, too. I can’t make up my mind about it. Let me know what you think

Michele in NC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Michele - here is the Betty Crocker Buttercream frosting recipe

Ingredients
    3 cups powdered sugar
    1/3 cup butter softened
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
    1 to 2 tablespoons milk

Steps
    1 In medium bowl, mix powdered sugar and butter with spoon or electric mixer on low speed. Stir in vanilla and 1 tablespoon of the milk.
    2 Gradually beat in just enough remaining milk to make frosting smooth and spreadable. If frosting is too thick, beat in more milk, a few drops at a time. If frosting becomes too thin, beat in a small amount of powdered sugar. Frosts 13x9-inch cake generously, or fills and frosts an 8- or 9-inch two-layer cake.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    When someone asks me what my partner thinks or wants, etc., I pause and look thoughtful for a moment and then sincerely say, "I give up!" LOL!!!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    NYKaren: Congratulations on your improved health and your plans to travel with your DH. I hope your daughter has a wonderful experience in South Africa. :heart:

Machka: Thanks for sharing the good news that 8 boys are out of the cave! Good news, especially for their families. :flowerforyou:

Lanette: I haven't formally quit facebook but spend very little time there. It used to be a place to contact friends, but not so much any more. Too much advertizing and I wonder about spy ware. Maybe I'm being a trifle wary, but my trust is definitely guarded. :grumble:

Heather: I am sorry for the loss of your DH's longtime friend. People we knew from our early days are always important in our lives. :flowerforyou:

Wendy: WTG with your project! Your roundpen looks very sturdy. Congratulations on your hard work and success. It looks like you may need quite a bit of shellrock to get the drainage that you desire and the surface you want for your horses. :star:

dfrasier: Denise, welcome! :flowerforyou:

We took the RV to the repair place to fix a few things we noticed on our camping trip, and returned some items to the store because they simply didn't work. After dinner we took the dog for a walk to the end of the road and chatted with some of the people who live down there. We got home before the rain began. The sky is dark because night is falling, but I don't think it is raining right now.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    wqexjtqzdgw7.jpg

My favorite T-shirts. In university, my worst course was Medieval English. I will take Newton or Einstein any day over semiotics.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    My friend who has suffered long and hard may now be a ventilator. Does anyone ever survive being ventilated?

My husband was on a ventilator for about 6-7 weeks before he could finally breathe on his own. He was intubated for the first 2.5 weeks or so, and then they performed a tracheotomy.

And the husband of a good friend of mine has been on a ventilator for a long time ... I'm guessing at least a couple years. His ventilation is through a tracheotomy.

But I would imagine survival depends on a number of other factors.

Sorry about your friend. :(

Machka in Oz

• evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    On Facebook, I like it for the simple fact that I can keep in touch with family that I wouldn't otherwise be keeping in touch with, several cousins for example. I also have friends that I don't see often, not all of them post stuff all the time, but someone seems to post something interesting every day (not the same people all the time). I've never had the urge to post all of my meals, although I did post a photo of an amazing dessert I made after the people who were coming over for dinner bailed. More so that they could see what they missed than for any other reason! I also use it to scoop photos of our grandson off of DIL's page, she is aware and fine with it so it's all good. I have unfollowed a few children of one of my cousins. They were posting rants about people who "done them wrong", and the language was more than I needed to "hear" (and I worked in a pub for many years! Heard all kinds of language!). I don't imagine I'll ever delete it from my life, but I certainly do not add everyone that I meet to my friends list! We went out of town last year, met up with some friends and two other people that a few of these friends had gone to school with. We had a nice time. Get home and the woman has invited hubby and I to be her friend. We both accepted, but then ended up either blocking her or unfriending her within a month. Too much junk on her newsfeed, and of course it all showed up for us to see. Ugh. Don't need it!
    Still only halfway through the posts, had a busy day today and almost didn't log in in time! Would have blown 300 days! Had a good eating day today, maybe tomorrow will be good also!
    Welcome to the newbies, hugs for those who need them, congrats to those celebrating!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Heather, sincerest condolences to you and your hubby on the loss of his long time friend. I lost a dear, dear friend at the tender age of 45 (she was only 46!), I still miss her 14 years later. There are some things that only a school friend can relate too! It is so very true that life is precious and we really do need to wring each moment out really well before letting it go!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Had a luncheon with my string teacher colleagues, I did have a slice of blueberry pie-it’s summer and I did account for it o:)

Our most wonderful handyman swung by late yesterday and investigated our attic crawl space. It was hotter than hot up there but that man is unstoppable! He removed the nest, no squirrels were present In the space. He rewired the fan, then place a metal screen over the vent opening, voila! We have a working fan and critters can’t get in!

Today- a nice long walk with bff before it gets too too hot then back to puttering with little projects around the house, my favorite past time.

NYKAREN
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    HeatherUK- So sorry for your husband's loss. Prayers and hugs.

Evelyn- My best friend of many years was killed 8 years ago on 4th of July. I too still miss her horribly. You are right, Life is unpredictable and precious!

Facebook- I scan occasionally. Use to be on all the time since grands were further away. I too am tired of all the Cr@p on it most days. As for the rants, etc.....I have blocked people before. I heard it said that people will say things on line that they wouldn't say in person, and I believe that. My DH also gets freaky if I post anything before we get back home. I don't know that I will give it up anytime soon as my friends and family are all over the country, but my time on it is limited.

Going painting with friend tonight. We are painting wine glasses. Should be fun. In the meantime, I need to get some stuffs done this morning.

Have a blessed and productive day!
    <3
    Kylia in Ohio where the paperwork never ends......
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies -

Heather - Condolences to you and your hub.

Rebecca - My mom always says I shouldn't leave the house without eyebrows (hers are very light, mine are almost non existent), perfume and my toenails painted. My earrings stay in all the time, I'm lazy :smile:

Michelle - Glad you got your favorite mug "fixed".

Grocery delivery - I live out in the sticks where we can't get grocery delivery. I have used the pick up service a few times when we return from trips. I have gotten produce and not had any problems, they even followed my request for 4 ripe bananas and 4 green ones. I also got dairy (yogurt) with no problems with expiration dates. It was a great plan, and I'll do it again. I place the order for what I will need and have it ready for pickup for the time we should go by the store on our way home. The one time we were late, I called the store and they kept it ready for the next day when we got home (and that was Thanksgiving week).

I have my pest control guys coming today to put down stuff to kill the grubs so the dang armadillos will go dig in someone else's yard and then tomorrow the landscape guy is supposed to show up to start cleaning up my flower beds! Yeah to both. We have finally had rain here so I will probably have to mow the whole lot on Thursday instead of just the pygmy yard. It will give me more time to listen to my book!

Welcome to the new ladies! Log in often and let us know where you live (specific or general and what we should call you). If you will sign your posts each time, it helps us keep people straight.

Okie in the TX Hill Country -- who needs to get off her butt and get her miles in so she can log in to work on time after 10 days off!