What was the last meal you cooked?

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,600 Member
    Dutch almond macaroons (bitterkoekjes) is a great thing to do at dinner party. Extremely easy and a lovely show off thing to bake something from scratch when there are lot of people over for dinne rif you are serving something that creates egg white lefovers. I serve these with shot glassees of amaretto for dipping the cookies into.

My first experience of this kind of cooking theatre was at a girlfriend's house when she had 8 people over for dinner. After dinner she plonked down at the table with a big bag of apples and started peeling. When asked what she was doing, she replied "I am making tarte tatin, do you want to volunteer to peel and slice some apples?". She proceeded to remove the plastic handle from her largest sautee pan with a screw driver, then fry the apple slices with butter and sugar. She covered the cooked apples with ready made puff pastry, poking holes with a knife to allow steam to escape. After about 25-30 minutes, or whatever the instructions were for the freezer puff pastry we had a tarte tatin.

We made dutch bitterkoekjes tonight (almond macaroons) as a way of using up the egg whites left over from carbonara. The whole process takes about 15 minutes. In a food processor put 2 egg whites, 150 g almonds, 150 g sugar, 1 teaspoon of almond extract. Blitz to a paste. Fill a a ziplock bag with the dough and cut off a corner. Pipe large nipples onto a silicon lined cookie sheet. Bake 10 minutes at 190C.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    @acpgee ... Much appreciation for having shared the Cambodian pumpkin custard, my sister 777Gemma888 shared with me yesterday. Looked it up ... The written and the vids. Fascinating spiel to how I'm acclimated to seeing vanilla custard, only in this case, coconut milk custard in a pumpkin or squash.

Really am loving all the updates and the descriptions, and the photo logs ... Thank you everyone!
  • acpgee
    k8eekins wrote: »
    @acpgee ... Much appreciation for having shared the Cambodian pumpkin custard, my sister 777Gemma888 shared with me yesterday. Looked it up ... The written and the vids. Fascinating spiel to how I'm acclimated to seeing vanilla custard, only in this case, coconut milk custard in a pumpkin or squash.

Really am loving all the updates and the descriptions, and the photo logs ... Thank you everyone!

The pumpkin custard looks really impressive. I actually cook this in a microwave instead of in the steamer as recommended by most recipes. If you stick to a fairly low setting in gradients until the centre is barely set it should be okay. It is a few years ago since I last made it (after returning from vacation from Cambodia) so I don't remember exact temperatures or cooking times.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,573 Member
    I made a big salad: massaged kale, chopped romaine lettuce, chopped roma tomato, diced green cabbage, chopped red pepper, homemade pickled carrots, diced raw white onion, and diced Kanzi apple. I topped it with a dressing made of almond butter, cashew milk, vinegar, nutritional yeast and spices. Dessert was a compote of blueberries and peaches. Yum!
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Pho.

Now I want Pho.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    Pho.

Now I want Pho.

Yeah.. same here..
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 333 Member
    https://whatmollymade.com/the-best-healthy-chicken-soup-recipe/

Instead of brown rice though, I cooked a pot of elbow macaroni on the side. I put a little in my soup, and my kids and husband added lots!
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    Western omelette (ham, onion, green peppers, 4 cheese topped with fresh salsa)
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Last night was grilled chicken apple sausage dogs with wheat buns and cucumber salad.
  • KKsGirl
    KKsGirl Posts: 12 Member
    Last night I had cauliflower crust pepperoni pizza. It was a raining day on our Royals home opener day. Had to celebrate the win but stay on track!
  • christinefensky
    christinefensky Posts: 5 Member
    I'm a foodie and love to cook, mostly comfort foods, however, since starting this, I am trying to find healthier ways to cook my favorite foods. Last weekend I made eggplant. Normally, I fry it, then adds gobs of cheese and serve it with garlic cheese bread. I toned it down by baking it and only adding a small amount of grated parmesan cheese, opted for a lower sodium marinara sauce and skipped the bread entirely. I love to bake and have been craving chocolate chip cookies. I want to stear clear of that for a while, so I found a flourless one. I also love that frozen cauliflower rice. I make my own taco seasoning, then add a veggie style meat product, (yes, I am a vegetarian), and some other veggies. Weekends are the worst for me, but, little steps in the right direction is better than always going in the wrong direction.
  • acpgee
    Hope you are not bored by my ongoing saga of squash and coconut. Had leftover coconut milk from making this last weekend in the air fryer.
    https://tarasmulticulturaltable.com/pot-ang-cambodian-grilled-corn/

Hade leftover coconut milk and asked hubby to buy a small squash to make another Cambodian recipe
    https://cambokitchen.wordpress.com/2014/09/19/cambodian-pumpkin-coconut-custard-sangkhia/
    Hubby came home with a large hunk of pumpkin instead if a small squash, which was unusable for the custard recipe.

Tried to make pumpkin gnocchi which was a total fail because I cooked it in the microwave which meant the pumpkin puree was very wet. When you need to incorporate a lot of flour into gnocchi they get tough and rubbery which was the case. If I try this again, will definitely roast the pumpkin.

Have now bought an butter squash to make the cambodian custard in the seed cavity. After cleaning out the seeded area with a teaspoon, it only holds a half cup of water. I used the Joy of Cooking ratio of 1 egg to 100 g of milk as a guideline, and add sugar to taste.

I've made the Cambodian custard previously in larger squashes without any hassle. In the tiny seed cavity of butternut squash you need to monitor the temperature more carefully. Keep the custard around 70C by using low wattage and microwaving at increments of 1-3 minutes. Doing this recipe in a tiny acorn squash cavity does require a meat thermometer, I think.

If this is successful will post pictures tomorrow after the whole thing is chilled and sliced.
  • acpgee
    Cambodian corn reads like an unlikely recipe but is actually delish. Coconut milk, fish sauce, sugar and green onions coat the corn prior to barbecuing or roasting. These were done in an air fryer.d7n8s7bptz7u.jpeg
  • strebor337
    strebor337 Posts: 168 Member
    Whole butterflied grilled sea bream smothered in chermoula with fattoush salad.

Now you're just making up words.
  • acpgee
    Cambodian pumpkin and coconut custard made in the tiny seed cavity of a butternut squash got a little overheated in the microwave and curdled.
    exvve8pvw4r1.jpeg
  • Monkeyfreck
    Monkeyfreck Posts: 65 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Cambodian pumpkin and coconut custard made in the tiny seed cavity of a butternut squash got a little overheated in the microwave and curdled.
    exvve8pvw4r1.jpeg

Yum! Looks great!
  • acpgee
    Last night's dinner party. Bagna cauda, linguine carbonara stretched with spiralized courgette, dutch bitterkoekjes for dipping in amretto.
    nh6ezpnjj0e9.jpeg
    4d1vvf6yrcus.jpeg
    7lyybe3r4mfc.jpeg

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Halibut steamed in bamboo leaf with lemongrass, lime leaves, scallions, etc. and served with sticky rice. It was good but the mixture that I steamed the fish with needed more fish sauce.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Pad-Thai-inspired Veggie Disaster:

Spiralized kohlrabi, Chayote and zucchini (raw) with roasted marinated pulled king-oyster mushroom, ground peanuts, mint and cilantro.

Dressing/sauce of coconut aminos, lime, ginger, chile, peanut powder, tamarind paste, fish sauce.

Avocado on top. Because it was ripe and because Avocado.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    edited March 2019
    Smoked turkey and split pea soup, endurance crackers, orange chicken and cauli-rice. So the kids are eating left over chicken wings from last night, left over hash browns from breakfast and cookies. Why do I bother 😑. I might add that my kids are 25, 25 (twins) and 20 and they could cook for themselves.