What was the last meal you cooked?

Options

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,611 Member
    Options
    Nicoise made with seared tuna, using the the leftover bagna cauda from the weekend.
    8b6vz9z3lti1.jpeg

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Tonight's dinner (Thursday, 06/06): another entree entry in the "summer grill-and-salads" set: simple grilled chicken breast with quinoa, tomato-cucumber salad and apple-beet-carrot-citrus salad. Have to do the MFP numbers on this, but they should be pretty moderate.

Pics:
    1. Service.
    2. Fresh-made apple-beet-carrrot-citrus salad about to go into the fridge for a while this afternoon to let the colors develop before the meal.

3ifhduegbbk9.jpg

f1ezqsce4wtt.jpg
  • Aevity
    Aevity Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    6pew259rc7dc.jpg

56 grams of whole grain spaghetti pasta
    1/2 cup of low sodium prego spaghetti sauce
    100 grams of sliced white mushrooms
  • acpgee
    Options
    Made the ugliest pasta sauce to use up leftover bagna cauda which is purplish brown from the mashed anchovies. Added dry packed sun dried tomatoes which were almost black. Toasted pumpkin seeds are dark green. All blitzed together in the food processor it tasted like a puttanesca inspired pesto but looked pretty awful. I disguised it with some grated parmesan, some halved raw cherry tomatoes, and some chopped chive.
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Made the ugliest pasta sauce to use up leftover bagna cauda which is purplish brown from the mashed anchovies. Added dry packed sun dried tomatoes which were almost black. Toasted pumpkin seeds are dark green. All blitzed together in the food processor it tasted like a puttanesca inspired pesto but looked pretty awful. I disguised it with some grated parmesan, some halved raw cherry tomatoes, and some chopped chive.

LOL. I had to learn to cook for myself 40yrs ago when I embarked on about a decade of being vegan. I found I could turn out good-looking things that tasted awful or not at all, and some really gloppy and ugly things that tasted of ambrosia. Took a long time to get appearance and taste to synch up, and now that I'm doing the family cooking in my retirement, I still have occasional issues. Sounds like yours was awful-looking, but how did it taste?
  • acpgee
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    acpgee wrote: »

LOL. I had to learn to cook for myself 40yrs ago when I embarked on about a decade of being vegan. I found I could turn out good-looking things that tasted awful or not at all, and some really gloppy and ugly things that tasted of ambrosia. Took a long time to get appearance and taste to synch up, and now that I'm doing the family cooking in my retirement, I still have occasional issues. Sounds like yours was awful-looking, but how did it taste?

It was pretty tasty. I mean what can go wrong in terms of flavour with bagna cauda (anchovies, garlic, olive oil, butter), sun dried tomatoes, toasted pumpkin seeds. Did look pretty yuck. I did try to disguise it.

jxyt7iuu2nyd.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    An ex colleague came over for lunch. I made beef lok lak and pot ang (Cambodian roast corn) as a side.
    ci11zp19wypo.jpeg
    3wxpiqmvlsui.jpeg

• mjbnj0001
    Options
    After taking advantage of the locally-beautiful day to cycle around, made a fairly simple dinner in the continuing "grill-and-summer salads" theme.

Pics:
    1. Choice of turkey or beef burgers, brown rice, cucumber-onion salad, tomato salad.
    2. Bike on one of our local bridges (we live on a peninsula in the northern NJ shore area).

ifetihr2tcnd.jpg

b53abuw1nwf9.jpg

• crispuppy
    crispuppy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Had leftover mixed beans so made a quick stew: onion, garlic, brocolli, a little bit of potato, beans, chicken stock. Also added some coconut milk towards the end, and some pepper and paprika. Easy and good!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I made a take off of the lentil and chickpea salad that's posted on Smitten Kitchen, which itself is a variation of a recipe found in April Bloomfield’s A Girl and Her Pig. I cooked the chickpeas in the instant pot, made my own tahini (because I really am not a fan of it in most contexts so why buy a container), and used preserved lemon that I made last year (which is amazing right now). No feta because I'm not a fan of most cheeses, feta included (though I can tolerate the taste of it).

I also made pita which was so-so. Not as good as last week but not bad. It was a bit of an experiment.
  • MidwestAndHappy
    MidwestAndHappy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Steak with garlic/salt/pepper/onion, broccoli (blanched) and rice. I rarely eat steak and it was good!
  • sweetbe44
    sweetbe44 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Shrimp linguini in a lemon garlic sauce
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Peking duck, jasmine rice, bok choy with spicy abalone sauce.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Last night I made Ina Garten's Chinese chicken salad, which is basically shredded chicken chunks, asparagus, and red pepper mixed in a soy peanut butter dressing. It was good!
  • mallyb1990
    mallyb1990 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Last night I made filet mignon with roasted brussel sprouts and cauliflower! It was so delicious!

qm4rwlzvtfpq.jpg
  • acpgee
    Options
    Sometimes I miss Paris where salade aux gesiers would be on the menu of any cafe. I had to make my own. Chicken gizzards instead of duck because I don't know where to source duck gizzards in London.
    pd15tezsw1id.jpeg

• AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Chickpea and vegetable tagine for dinner last night. Delicious!
    https://nutritionfacts.org/recipe/chickpea-vegetable-tagine/
  • acpgee
    Options
    Porcini risotto and sauteed spinach.
    0grz6yr9gn2k.jpg

• QoLmatters
    QoLmatters Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Last night, I made grilled barramundi, asparagus, sugar peas, snowpeas with a dressing of a little ginger oil, a low sodium soy sauce and spring onion. It was yummy. The recipe is in a book not online so can't provide a link sorry.