The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Hi @whitpauly <3 Thinking of you these days.

@donimfp <3 You are here for me NOW!! Your timing is perfect & @JenT304 <3 Thank you

There is NO shame in starting over, in fact it is a sign of humility & strength...one definition of humility is "teachable" and that is a strong quality that will help us to learn the lessons along the way...this is ALL a big huge learning curve and none of us has it perfected, but we DO truly care about each other as @JenT304 said above and we are helping each other as we learn that it is perfectly ok NOT to be perfect...in fact it's impossible because we are all imperfect, and so we struggle together!!!
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    hows ya'll doing tho
  • dlbohl1991
    dlbohl1991 Posts: 786 Member
    Hey all
  • lorrainequiche59
    Thank you for starting this thread. I am on day 2,733 lol. I quit drinking and smoking, and any mind-altering substances over 7 years ago. My life has improved immensely. Food is still a struggle and source of temporary comfort for me. I'm heavier than ever and wish desperately to get myself under control. I try to combat my food issues the same way I combated my drinking but it hasn't worked for me. But I'm stubborn and refuse to give up. People change their lives for the better everyday...I can too.

WELCOME to the best thread EVER!!! LOL Food is my last hold out and I still use it for comfort and need to get back to finding other ways again. I'm thinking that food was likely your first love as it was mine and a deeply entrenched source of comfort, not a healthy way to comfort ourselves but familiar huh?? I'm also thinking that our reasons for turning to substances for comfort/numbing/stuffing our feelings are also likely similar. Hugs to you for having the strength and courage to change. The food thing will change to if we don't give up trying to change it. ;)
  • lorrainequiche59
    NormInv wrote: »
    hows ya'll doing tho

Really glad to see you still here <3
  • lorrainequiche59
    dlbohl1991 wrote: »
    Hey all

Hey you <3
  • lorrainequiche59
    AS a dear friend who I don't see often would say when he was about to reveal something "Buckle UP!!" So my revelation today is that I AM going to the town far, far away (sounds like a fairy tale doesn't it?) Actually only 33 mins from my house once I googled it...to my first AA meeting in decades. I vaguely remember going to my very first decades ago with my Xhubby...NEVER ever thought I would again. As I was thinking about going, and different times that others have shared that they go, I wondered WHY is it SO hard to go through the doors at an AA meeting and the word shame popped into my brain...BUT since then I disagree that it is shame because there is NOTHING SHAMEFUL about saying "I need help" and then taking the steps to get the help...THAT is COURAGE...

So if it isn't shame then what is it? After listening to Kitten Van Kitten (LOL Thx Doni for the AKA for D VanD aka DICK Van *kitten*) I think it is the STIGMA that people attach to AA...and to alcoholism aka alcohol use disorder or whatever other label someone may attach to a drinking problem. The stigma is that somehow we are defective, not mature, weak etc. But there is a physical/genetic component of alcoholism...our bodies process alcohol differently, but as Dick VanD brought out in his interview there are many people who are not alcoholics but they may still be heavy drinkers or irresponsible drinkers (drive over the limit) The consequences are still the same...an alcoholic may be more extreme and may die younger or tragically, but maybe not. I know alcoholics who are still kicking whose non-alcoholic spouses died way long ago. BUT it is our "quality of life" right now that matters. It doesn't really matter as much what specific day we are going to die but how we live our life up to that point.

SO, y'all KNOW that later today I'm going to fill you in on my first EVER AA meeting in decades, so I will tell you in advance to "Buckle UP!!!" One of my friends who has been one of my rocks this past week asked me why I felt the need to go to this particular meeting...I dodged the bullet and why not wait till next Tuesday eve for the local woman's meeting? Because, this IS what I need to do for ME right now today...will I be ok till next Tuesday? Maybe/Maybe not, but it is a resource that I am going to reach out to TODAY, and it will ease me into going to the other meeting on Tuesday PLUS it IS a beautiful day in the hood and I love to drive...it relaxes me B) So I'm going on an abbreviated road trip...no dogs either!!!!!! Just Moi!!! B)

May everyone PLEASE take care of yourself this day <3 and IF there is anyone you've been thinking about lately or pops into your brain today please call/text them to let them know how much you love them. :)
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    @lorrainequiche59 awesome! I think you will
    Find such nice people and the stories are so relevant to what we’ve been through. I like how you’re following your instincts. It surely can’t hurt to go; you may find some good nuggets of wisdom too.
    🌺
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Morning all,well it's taken me about a week off the booze to start feeling human again 😣 I dunno if it's cuz I had been off for so long or cuz I just drank TOO much but it hit me like a freight train! The madness has to remain stopped,I scared my husband,my daughter called him to come home cuz she caught me throwing up in the kitchen sink! How's that for sinking low?!?! I'm still very ashamed of myself and tbh a bit stunned by my behavior I was just so out of control yet couldn't stop,I'm glad I finally got some sense back but omg that's it! Wishes for a happy and healthy AF day 💗
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Lorraine, I just wanted to say I'm sooooo happy that the wine stayed sealed and you didn't give in! Alcohol is a liar and a thief,it's not a friend it's out to kill me!
  • aroze0928
    aroze0928 Posts: 254 Member
    Im glad things are working out for you @lorrainquiche59. Credit to all of you that can go to those. Id be terrified.
    I have a kids slash adult bday party Saturday. Theres plenty of drinking and drinking games once the kids part of it is wrapped up. Im coming up on 5 months and it would be 7 if I didnt find that beer receipt. So thats it. Im just going to drop my daughter to play and have cake and pick her back up. I am positive that I would drink if I stay. Id come up with a thousand reasons why I deserve a drink at this point and they would help me find one more.
    Coming up on the weekend I hope you all sail through with ease.