The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I listened to the Dick Van *kitten* interview with Dick Cavett. Thanks for the recommendation, @lorrainequiche59. One thing he said was that an out-of-control alcoholic "can't" yell abuse at himself so he strikes out at the non-drinking spouse. I'm sure that is true in lots of situations. Yesterday I saw the film "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood." I'm not a Tarantino fan in general. He's just not my cup of tea, including this film. However, there is a very powerful scene in which Leonardo diCaprio's character turns his rage toward himself for his drinking. I think anyone who has struggled with alcohol the way many of us have will be affected by that scene. It really captured that "Why can't I just stop???" frustration very well, I thought.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    That Dick van *kitten" thing is cracking me up 😆 so @donimfp it wasn't a good movie? I keep seeing the previews and was wondering,yeah I've been there many times wondering why I just can't stop?!? Or in my case staying stopped,it's very frustrating
  • donimfp
    Options
    @whitpauly, no, please don’t go by my “review.” Obviously the film won the Palme d’ Or at Cannes and many people loved it. Somehow I just don’t love Tarantino. But I enjoyed many specific scenes in this one and the acting is amazing. I just felt that one scene was so accurate as to how it feels when we get down on ourselves about drinking too much. Brad Pitt isn’t bad on the eyes, either.
  • tifano
    tifano Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    @lorrainequiche59 I'm so sorry about your brother. I'm just getting caught up. Just got home from vacation and missed more than 70 messages. I'm really trying to stay more connected here. I just feel drawn to this thread more and more.

As far as a "high bottom" that was me. No consequences from my drinking other than I wanted to die but I still had my family in tact, job, etc. The high bottom has almost got me too on several occasions in the last almost 7 years.

@lorrainequiche59 I'm so happy to hear you went to your first meeting in more than a decade and I'm so happy to hear that your experience was good. Women's meetings are great!

@RubyRed427 I'm so happy to read you went to 3 meetings this week.

For those who want to seek AA and just don't know for certain if they are truly an alcoholic I would encourage you to read the chapter "More About Alcoholism" in the Big Book and see if you identify with anything.

Not that I'm an AA expert or anything but if anyone has questions feel free to reach out to me. I love AA, I'm coming up on 7 years and this program has saved my life, I have an amazing relationship with my husband, family, friends, etc because of this program. It's given me a design for living that has not done me wrong EVER. In the last year I've added one Alanon meeting a week as well and I'm now going through the steps in Alanon as well. That's is giving me a whole new design for living too.

Anyway...sorry I don't come on here to sell AA because I know there's many ways to recover but this way of living has saved my life time and time and time again.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options

no44s4me wrote: »
    Wow, so many posts, so little time. I pop in when I can for encouragement from my fellow sobriety seeking warriors, you really do lift me up..... Peace be with you all and thanks for being here.

You encourage us too...thank you <3

• donimfp
    Options
    Good post from Kate at the Sober School today:

https://thesoberschool.com/dont-drink/
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    OK I'm ticked at the MFP censor...not that I use foul language as a rule but "kitten" just doesn't cut it when it was supposed to be "Witch....with a B..." OR B.....itch!" Let's see if I can override the system...here goes I'm about to post reply....and see if my sneaky ways work....
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    Good post from Kate at the Sober School today:

https://thesoberschool.com/dont-drink/

Great post! I enjoyed the article! xo