lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    aroze0928 wrote: »
    @whitpauly dont beat yourself up.
    Its a guarantee we've all been there..
    Keep going today and dont look back and feel shamed. You got this

Ditto <3
    whitpauly wrote: »
    Lorraine, I just wanted to say I'm sooooo happy that the wine stayed sealed and you didn't give in! Alcohol is a liar and a thief,it's not a friend it's out to kill me!

YES IT IS...the lying, robbing, enemy alcohol and it is also a murderer not just of literal lives but of good intentions, hopes and dreams!!!
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Wishing everyone a happy and healthy AF day 💗
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,162 Member
    Options
    Good morning friends! Wishing you a happy AF day just like @whitpauly says.

@lorrainequiche59 Sounds like a therapeutic experience for you when you went to AA. I cried too at the beginning when I first started going last year; it's very emotional and raw but it gets quite easy to go after awhile.

@donimfp Time to renew and reset your goals. Even for a small amount of time like a weekend... Happy you touched base with us. I think of you and many others often and wonder how you are. Sending hugs!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Thank you for starting this thread. I am on day 2,733 lol. I quit drinking and smoking, and any mind-altering substances over 7 years ago. My life has improved immensely. Food is still a struggle and source of temporary comfort for me. I'm heavier than ever and wish desperately to get myself under control. I try to combat my food issues the same way I combated my drinking but it hasn't worked for me. But I'm stubborn and refuse to give up. People change their lives for the better everyday...I can too.

Awesome!! Happy to hear your life is so much better!! You'll tackle the food issues slowly but surely.
    @aroze0928 Sometimes, it's a good idea to skip an event which might not fit your goals. Smart thinking.
  • RubyRed427
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @whitpauly I recently read a blog about the sober curious movement but the blogger was saying that being curious isn't what she's all about. She is quitting drinking before it kills her! So for those who are just sober curious and don't have a drinking problem, that's one side of the story.
    For many others including me, I am trying to save my life, my organs, my brain from this addiction.

I guess for me I want to quit before I hit rock bottom or something devastating happens. My sober friend had a term for it , but I can't remember what it is. I think he called it "high bottom".
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @lorrainequiche59, such raw emotion in that post. You know that you have support and love here. Hold on to that.
  • whitpauly
    Options
    Morning friends @no44s4me yep sounds familiar but I would just start drinking the warm ones by the end,either that or throwing a few ice cubes in it😣 that's just no way to live for me anymore, wishing everyone a happy AF day,do something nice for yourself today💗
  • aroze0928
    aroze0928 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    @no44s4me I had a grandfather in law who I loved. He was the sweetest man. He was a Canadian and he only drank his bud warm. 😫 he drank lots of it. Never knew when he was drunk or not. He was always the same maybe a smidge happier.
    But hed put em in the fridge for me if he knew I was coming. Mine were never cold enough. Haha. Good luck I hope the dreams pass.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Here is the link to the article that @no44s4me mentions. It is very powerful.

https://www.aarp.org/home-family/friends-family/info-2018/donovan-webster-crash-prison.html

My husband and I are having lunch today with a friend whose partner died of a heart attack recently but we KNOW this was influenced by his heavy and drinking and smoking.

Have a safe and sober Sunday my friends. <3
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Good morning, friends! What a calm morning here in the midwest. This morning, coffee (hangover free) with my daughter and I'm going to the theater to see a musical (by myself) but I'm happy with that.

@FeelinFooFoo Hi There! Keep in mind around day 3 or 4, you will get that twitch to drink. Have some substitutes handy, have good distractions around and you will be just fine. Wishing you a good calm AF week! You can do it!!

@JenT304 I look forward to reading the article.

@lorrainequiche59 I watched the Dick V. *kitten* video ; he said a lot of things that were quite powerful. Thanks for sharing it.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Popped in to the grocery this week and the guy in front of me had one of the 6 pack wine cellar boxes which allows you to get a discount when you purchase 6 bottles of wine. He also had a liquor bottle. He had a couple of food items, his total was $160. The guy behind me put his things on the belt after my food and he also had a 6 pack wine box. I remember doing the same so many times and I started thinking about how much I have been saving lately by not drinking. Also don't have to lug out a big heavy box of alcohol and feel judged by the cashier. Although by the looks of it, it's quite common for people to purchase a lot of alcohol. The total of my bill? $20 and some change. My self-respect and lack of hangovers? Priceless.

Love the last sentence!! So true!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    I went to my third AA meeting of the week; I look forward to feeling as calm and peaceful as many of the participants express. I'm still in the white knuckle mode. Left a party yesterday early (I came on purpose right when it started). The hosts were still setting up. The Bar was so full of bottles of liquor ; I got a headache looking at it. The DJ arrived and the only ones there at 4:00 were me and some cute grey haired older guests. Again, I came early on purpose; I left before all my drinking buddies came. My ex said that he snuck out at 11:00 p.m and the party was on full force ....
    Little decisions we make for the sake of our own health are so important sometimes.
  • aroze0928
    aroze0928 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You bet @RubyRed427 ! I avoided a party yesterday. I did have cravings in the back of my mind because of it I think. Crazy. I came home and relaxed and went back for my daughter. She was actually happy I didnt stay. She has no problem telling me like it is. 8 years old and sharp as a tac.
    Enjoy the musical and happy af day to all.
    @FeelinFooFoo. Im rooting for you for a successful week!
  • whitpauly
    Options
    Morning friends,@FeelingFooFoo you got this! I hope your cat is ok? My dog likes to run out whenever he gets the opportunity so I get sooooo scared he'll get ran over! I treat him like a king so I get really offended when he runs out😆 I avoided a party last night too,it was my g-sons cousin who turned 8 but in their world a child's birthday party is just another excuse to drink,I feel bad cuz I wanted to see her but don't feel bad cuz it was at the girl's other grammas house and I don't know them anyways and it woulda felt awkward,I did send a gift with my daughter from me though, wishes for a great AF day for us all!!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @JenT304 I just read the article you posted and the gang talked about. I am crying too. The author, oh my God I have pity for him. To take another life because of a bad decision is almost too much to bear. Thanks for the sober reminder. Of course, I have deep empathy and sadness for the White family as well.

Excerpt that hit home:
    I never saw my drinking as out of control. But slowly, like a cresting wave, it was getting less and less manageable. Though I ran between five and seven miles a day, my body wasn’t as good at alcohol anymore — a phenomenon doctors say isn’t unusual when we enter our 50s. And the volume was increasing, without my really noticing or caring. A few beers after dinner. Maybe a handful of scotches or bourbons after my middle-school-teacher wife retired to bed at about 9:30. I didn’t intend for it to become a habit. It just … did.