The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,177 Member
    Options
    @donimfp I have had very good administrators over the last 25 years. I'm sure your BIL is one of the good ones! This particular few that are planning the Covid hybrid model is not like you're BIL.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    @no44s4me Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate every contribution made on this forum. It truly takes a village.
    @Mackman99 Welcome to our little non judgmental and supportive family.
    Im on day 11 of the alcohol experiment again. Truly a terrifying PSA was on there today.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/video/2017/apr/20/graphic-anti-drinking-ad-shows-how-alcohol-causes-cancer-video
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    Mackman99 wrote: »
    Looking for new friends to help motivate and support each other. I have been sober for 28 days. Looking to change my life and my habits. Thank you.

Welcome!!!!

WTG on 28 down!!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @jent304 I like this article! Very motivating. It doesn't help at all, one bit, to drink.. the first 30 min. is good.

But the repercussions are so not worth it. Thanks for sharing!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    Good morning. This comment was on The Alcohol Experiment website today. Does this resonate with anyone else?

In today's Q&A I wrote this and wanted to share: "Alcohol had me in a death grip. Alcohol lied to me. Alcohol made me sick and tired and depressed. Alcohol made me afraid. Alcohol CAUSED my fear. Alcohol made my face puffy and my eyes red. Alcohol made me weak and fearful. Alcohol made me belligerent and unkind. Alcohol made me "needy" and insecure. Alcohol gave me headaches and nausea. Alcohol made me shaky and scared and tired and lonely. Alcohol isolated me. Alcohol wanted to ruin my relationships. Alcohol wanted me to doubt myself and feel small." Alcohol never GAVE me anything, it only stole from me and lied to me. NOT ANYMORE. I now take a stand. I will be 50 years old this October and enough is enough.

Wow! Yes yes yes!
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @FeelinFooFoo, glad the idea appeals to you. Obviously there’s no “one size fits all” approach but I thought I’d share what I think my own best strategy would be.

@whitpauly, the combination we’ve been dealt in 2020 really is almost overwhelming. You’re so right that drinking would only make things worse but temporary numbness can be tempting. Sorry about the job stress on top of it all. Hopefully this means something better is bubbling and getting ready for you. Hang in there! You’re an inspiration. I frequently say to myself, “As whitpauly says, Another 24!”
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @RubyRed427, your concerns are totally legit. It seems immoral if not illegal for your admin. not to keep you informed. I know HIPPA means not revealing identities but at my school we’ve been told it’s mandatory that any positives be reported to us, the county, and the state. Also, we’ve all been issued masks and face shields, and our students don’t even leave the facility since they’re locked up. I hope you have a good union. That’s one thing we do not have in Texas.
    Hoping for health and safety for you.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    @RubyRed427, your concerns are totally legit. It seems immoral if not illegal for your admin. not to keep you informed. I know HIPPA means not revealing identities but at my school we’ve been told it’s mandatory that any positives be reported to us, the county, and the state. Also, we’ve all been issued masks and face shields, and our students don’t even leave the facility since they’re locked up. I hope you have a good union. That’s one thing we do not have in Texas.
    Hoping for health and safety for you.

We usually have a decent union representation, but the superintendent has cancelled meetings with the union president a few times. I do know they reported our teacher's positive test to the country board of health BUT the board didn't have any of us quarantine or even stay home for a day. The same week at a different elementary in my district, one teacher tested positive and the next day all staff were told to stay home so they can clean the building. It is a mess really- this whole thing. One other thing was the teacher took her temp in the morning before coming to school and by 1:00 pm she had a sudden onset of fever of 101 degrees.

I just bought the face shields on amazon, so I will be ok I think. I'm happy you are doing well teaching your students. I wish you good health too!
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone. I'm back from 3 days of visiting my sister in upstate NY. Upon arrival she immediately offered me a glass of sangria which is my favorite. I just said no thanks, I'll have a seltzer. After she kept asking me if I wanted wine etc. I told her I was doing a 30 day challenge and she dropped it. A couple times I felt tempted but I just pushed through it and reminded myself how crappy I feel about everything (myself, my sleep, my skin) associated with alcohol when I imbibe. I think it has finally sunk in that there is no such thing as moderation for me. Like FFF said a few comments back, I drink to feel drunk, or something to that effect. Anyway it's kind of a relief to realize this and it's helping me stay the course. We had nice and memorable (meaning I can actually remember it all) visit. Have a healthy happy week, my Friends. <3