The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it does. the thoughts are you are making a hole in your life when you cut out alcohol and think about all it encompassed. so you have to fill the hole with something. (that sounded dirtier than intended). some people do church, exercise, hobbies, higher power, 12 step stuff, self help.
    but if cutting it out works for you. work it ;)
  • Drummer913
    Drummer913 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    @salleewins - Thanks for sharing. Yes, a familiar fall. I'm sorry about your Son. I'm happy to hear you got past that drinking chapter and you are doing well. I hope I can enjoy the same sober success as you and many others!.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    @joha5603 That is great if you do not "need" the books, videos etc. I am finding I need them less and less though when I am feeling weak (less often now thank God) I might get a boost from a Craig Beck video or a chapter of "Alcohol Explained." Everyone is different of course and I am happy for you that you were simply able to walk away from booze and not look back. That is awesome! Some people go to AA for 20 years, read the books, have other resources etc. Whatever works is what works!
  • SunnyDays930
    Options
    @joha5603 Oh no I definitely was not thinking you were critical! I am happy for whatever works for everyone! Truly! Some of us need the boost of other resources and others don't. I am just grateful for this thread where we can all share what works for each of us and where we can share our support.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    Happy Friday! I'll be hosting Thanksgiving this year. I am thankful for this group. This will be my first wine-free Thanksgiving in years. I am looking forward to it. I am looking forward to making memories, not waking next Friday morning wondering who I offended, what I said, feeling like crap etc.

I am thankful for you! Thanks for this thread. It is a Godsend to read your posts and the others. Yes, you can get up Friday morning rested, fresh faced, no headache, and hit the malls!
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Welcome @Drummer913 and others I've missed welcoming!! <3 Some really FANTASTIC comments being shared here. Hoping y'all have a safe, happy, sober, relaxing, and hopefully FUN weekend!!

My 11 yr old grandson & I are having a night together at my dogsitting digs. I think from here on in I will try to limit my dogsitting to lapdogs because the rather large Lab I'm caring for has WAY too much energy for me...I'm a lazy dogsitter & really don't want to play 24/7 especially when I get back from working all day...SO my grandson will come in handy as a playmate for a day. LOL. I had committed to this gig before I discovered that Kona is dog aggressive so my dog is staying with my daughter while I'm here and I'm really missing him, but what bothers me more is that I think HE misses me more than I miss him. <3 Cause I know the time limit & he doesn't. Anyway, I visit him & walk him as much as I'm able...we had part of the afternoon together yesterday & I took him to our home with me for a bath & cuddle...my bath & our cuddle. Today is half way through my time here. Time flies & I'm not having that much fun LOL I'm also caring for a cat of the couple who are vacationing for the first week with Kona's humans, & that ends on Saturday when they arrive back...YAY!! Just one less place to run to twice daily!!

Blah, blah, blah...I'm done now. PHEW!!!! ;)
  • SunnyDays930
    Options
    I do not do Black Friday shopping anywhere but from my sofa online but YES, I will feel fresh and rested instead of sick and disgusting. Have fun scrapbooking with your friends! That sounds wonderful.
  • ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    I hate to scare all of us. But a good, sad article is in USA Today about alcoholism kills more people in a year than opioids . Quote:

"It is poison, and we’re treating it like it's something other than that because there‘s big corporate money behind it," she says. "A lot of people are getting really rich on something that is toxic to us."

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Alcohol is killing more people, and younger. The biggest increases are among women

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2018/11/16/alcohol-deaths-emergency-room-increase-middle-aged-women-addiction-opioids/1593347002/

Something to think about when I mourn the loss of my friend “alcohol”. It really is awful for the body and mind.

Thanku for that artical. :'(