The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the article, Ruby. I do believe at some point, people will come to think about alcohol the way they now think about tobacco products. Unfortunately, it is going to take a very long time.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    @salleewins EEEEK!! Very scary! What a poor example for that child!! Really glad you are ok!

@RubyRed427 Thank you for that article. Another sad reminder of what we are all realizing, thank goodness!

@JenT304 You are SO positive, but I'm not so much...it would be great if that happened...at the same time, it's interesting to me how many people still smoke and begin to smoke in spite of the reams of evidence of it's obviously harmful side effects. Like the alcohol article pointed out, lots of money is being made at the expense of others' health. I'm a skeptic that things will change LOL!!

BUT, all of us are changing <3
  • lorrainequiche59
    Options
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    I’m so happy with the choice I made.

So am I. YAY! <3

• salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    I am glad for you Ruby!!
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    The above was in my inbox this morning as I subscribe to Annie Grace emails. Sobering food for thought. (pun intended).
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    There are no guarantees of course. It's all about trying to lower the odds of an early death. There is lots of anecdata about chain smoking obese drunks living independently 90+ years but those just stick out in peoples' minds because they are rare. The benefits of alcohol get a lot of press because they are popular stories. Not long ago a huge study did receive some press and while it did confirm the results of light drinking being associated with a slightly lower risk than never drinking, it turns out that light means 3 drinks a week or less. Anything beyond that raises the risk pretty quickly. If you are participating in this thread, it's a pretty safe bet that limiting yourself to 3 drinks or less a week is very unlikely.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/19/health/cancer-risk-alcohol-mortality-study/index.html
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    Quote from an article about who funds many alcohol related studies:

Rigorous as this research may seem, though, there are experts who are worried about the alcohol industry's role in it. The New York Times notes that two-thirds of the study's funding thus far has come from money given to a foundation set up for the NIH by five of the largest alcohol companies in the world, including Heineken and Anheuser-Busch InBev; companies that have a vested interest in promoting the idea that alcohol is healthy. Some of the researchers involved also have previous financial ties to the industry.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I agree with all of your posts above about the dangers or alcohol to the body and I assume the mind. Also, @CarvedTones you made me laugh when you said “if you are participating in this thread...” limiting yourself is highly unlikely. So true in my case!

P.s. An aside, I remember reading and seeing the heart healthy seal of approval from the American Heart Association on a box of Lucky Charms cereal. I imagine there are a lot of behind the scenes funding going on from major companies.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    I agree with all of your posts above about the dangers or alcohol to the body and I assume the mind. Also, @CarvedTones you made me laugh when you said “if you are participating in this thread...” limiting yourself is highly unlikely. So true in my case!

P.s. An aside, I remember reading and seeing the heart healthy seal of approval from the American Heart Association on a box of Lucky Charms cereal. I imagine there are a lot of behind the scenes funding going on from major companies.
    Most cereals switched to whole grain as a high enough % and sugar as a low enough % to fall within guidelines that AHA approves of. Biggest dangers of cereal IMO is how easy it is to have multiple servings. If you weigh it out according to the labelled serving (I do), it's not all that much. I eat Lucky Charms sometimes; they are magically delicious. :smiley:
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    HAPPY sober beginning to our week!!

5 more sleeps till I'm back in my own digs!! I'm looking forward to having my normal routine back & am REALLY missing my canine companion. I'll be taking him for a bit of a walk this aft & having a cuddle, but I DO NOT look forward to leaving cause every time I show up he gets SO excited and I know that he's thinking I'm coming to take him back home. Interestingly, my daughter says he's been howling in the middle of the night. He is a Lhasa & I have never heard him howl...so I googled it and apparently one of the reasons dogs will howl is to beckon their owners back home....AWWW!! He's howling for me! I won't do this again though. I had already committed so had to follow through...plus I think lap dogs are my thing...no more big monstrous dogs for me...She is a cutie & very lovable with humans, just not other dogs... :'(

This reminds me of one time I was drinking and over at my daughter's house all night and my poor dog was howling,,he never howls either! He did it again in the morning and I told him to quiet down! I honestly think our animals can sense drinking is bad for us,I've seen him look at the can,at me,then back at the can accusatory like haha,happy AF week all
  • lorrainequiche59
    Options
    Techno-tard strikes again...this is Kona, but we're not quite right!! Story of my life LOL! Do any tech-saavy people know how to turn the pic right-side up?? I just kinda figured how to post a pic, but obviously it needs some tweaking!! BTW, I did this by myself with no help from my tech-saavy daughter, can you tell??? ;)
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    @lorrainequiche59 You are adorable and so is Kona :) I'm with you on the little dog thing. We had to put our Rainie (yorkie/shih-tzu) down on January 2nd and I miss her terribly. I have no idea how to help with your pic, but it looks cool sideways ;-)

Speaking of tech issues, has anybody had problems with MFP the last couple days? I am having loading issues, message issues, comment issues....you name it....it's mfPeeving me off.

@salleewins I'm thinking of you as these holidays roll in. Do be kind to yourself, it is unimaginable what you have gone through. ((hugs)) I don't eat a lot of sweets but I am in love with the Ghirardelli Intense Dark Sea Salt Soiree. Like you, I won't overdose on that kind of treat.

Happy Monday, peeps. Kinda dragging over here the last few days, but I'm hanging in there.