The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    @seltzermint555 Welcome to our group of wonderfully supportive people. Sounds to me like this is the place for you to be if you & your hubby have committed to an AF 2019. It doesn't sound like either of you have a drinking issue though so wondering what prompted you to go AF. I think it's a great decision, just curious. :)
  • lorrainequiche59
    Options
    @lagoscarrie Interesting how the nightly (or mostly nightly) drinking habit can kinda sneak up & grab you enough to make it hard to shake so good on you for gaining control. Welcome to our group! :)
  • lorrainequiche59
    Options
    Good job on your sobriety OP!
    I don't really count days but it's been about 2 weeks since I had a drink. I am really starting to notice if I give in once, even if it's a few drinks on special occasion, I end up "needing" it to cope with stress.... which then makes my life more stressful cause I will act stupid when I'm drunk. I had an occasional drink on new years with my husband and I started wanting it everyday.
    I'm tired of drugs and alcohol effecting my relationships. My whole family suffers from addiction.

YEP!!

Welcome :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    @seltzermint555 Welcome to our group of wonderfully supportive people. Sounds to me like this is the place for you to be if you & your hubby have committed to an AF 2019. It doesn't sound like either of you have a drinking issue though so wondering what prompted you to go AF. I think it's a great decision, just curious. :)

Thank you for the warm welcome, all!

Honestly one of our favorite YouTubers (husband and wife from Finland) did a dry year in 2018 just for health and to see if it would be difficult for them. So we were inspired by them and thought we would try the same for 2019.

Yes, I do think it's partly FOMO that has me a little disturbed at times! And it's very true that the wineries & breweries will always be there. They have never been my top destination so I'm hoping the dry year (or more) will just reinforce that.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options

Thank you for the warm welcome, all!

Honestly one of our favorite YouTubers (husband and wife from Finland) did a dry year in 2018 just for health and to see if it would be difficult for them. So we were inspired by them and thought we would try the same for 2019.

Yes, I do think it's partly FOMO that has me a little disturbed at times! And it's very true that the wineries & breweries will always be there. They have never been my top destination so I'm hoping the dry year (or more) will just reinforce that.

Welcome!

Do you miss the drinking or the social aspect? If it is the social aspect of wineries and breweries and you have self-control, you should still keep going. If you dont wanna attract attention, you can even order a beer or a wine and not drink it. Nobody will care. Obviously, it will require a lot of discipline.

So many of social events revolve around alcohol. But that is changing gradually, thanks to this thread. A day will come you will have to go out to the balcony to drink.
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Ed_Zilla wrote: »
    @laurenq1991 - I had to "urban dictionary" FOMO - I assume it is - Fear of Missing Out. Correct?
    NormInv wrote: »
    Also, the heck's a FOMO? I know MOFO but never seen FOMO

Yes it means fear of missing out. I thought it was more common terminology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_of_missing_out