Bad advice?

Options

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    “If you were obese as a child, you will always be overweight. Your body won’t allow you to lose weight if you were overweight when you were young. It means you were born with the gentics to be overweight.”

or the look at your parents,if they are thin you will be thin if fat you will be fat.

I love this one - my mom was obese most of her adult life and my father has always been built like a twig... where does that leave me?!?!?
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I went to a meeting recently where the speaker was speaking as an expert about "digestive health".

It was a hearty broth of pure nonsense, but here's just one highlight: Everyone will benefit from giving up dairy, gluten and (especially) sugar. Sugar is poison, because it spikes your insulin. But honey is a superfood, especially local honey. Fruit is good for you, because fiber. Agave syrup is OK, because it's natural, but not a superfood, partly because no fiber. Stevia is bad like sugar, just like other things that taste sweet (even if they have no nutrients/calories) because your body has been programmed to . . . I dunno, do something bad . . . just because it has a sweet taste like sugar.

I'm sitting there thinking " . . . but . . . but . . . it's all just sucrose, glucose and fructose!" (except the Stevia of course)

I am not lying, exaggerating, or misrepresenting. (My career made me very good at taking accurate notes on things I violently disagree with, because it was an essential skill.)

His incoherent steaming pile of pseudoscientific crapitude was being delivered to a group of cancer survivors . . . and the whole talk was implicitly hawking a multi-visit (or online) multi-step remediation program.

"If you have questions, be sure to fill out the question sheet with your contact info, and leave it on the table, so we can get back to you." (In response to an question requesting actual actionable specifics.)

He was coy about cost, but said his office would give you the paperwork to submit to your insurance company for insurance coverage. (Odds most US insurance with cover, I think: Near zero.)

that is horrific. :neutral:
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I went to a meeting recently where the speaker was speaking as an expert about "digestive health".
    This word always makes me cringe. "expert" ugh. Always question why a person is labeled or called an expert. News, especially local news will call out an "expert" to cover some current trend. :rollseyes: What the @!#$ makes them an expert?

• DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I was searching for a term more neutral than "chiropractor"
    Okay, I see the word 'expert' far too often and it is usually meaningless.

I see a few chiropractors pushing diet books as well. My pain management nurse practitioner is into holistic approach... he recommended a 'deflame diet', I researched the author... he was a chiropractor.