September 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq It seems legit. It was through an agency. Googled and looked through the website. Number they gave matches. It's always a little scary giving out personal info. LOL
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq It seems legit. It was through an agency. Googled and looked through the website. Number they gave matches. It's always a little scary giving out personal info. LOL

cool!!! what challenge did you win? (if I can be nosy?)
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso Congrats on your win!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,094 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile Oh my! That is horrible if the cheating was intentional. I can be competitive and once got upset that people were running part of a walk I was doing. If it's a walk, with prizes, running should not be allowed. Anyway, that's just me. LOL At least you brought the problem to light. If they don't do anything this year, maybe they will at least be more vigilant next time.
  • baggles36
    baggles36 Posts: 4 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    @KKHKISHZKH, there's still plenty of time left in the month! :) And if not, well 9 miles >> 0 miles.

Not sure if I'll run today... we have a picnic for my work group and I got invited to a drink-thing afterward to meet one of our European colleagues. Thoughts on running a couple of hours after having a drink (likely beer... though I could just get a sparkling water or something?)?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    baggles36 wrote: »
    @KKHKISHZKH, there's still plenty of time left in the month! :) And if not, well 9 miles >> 0 miles.

Not sure if I'll run today... we have a picnic for my work group and I got invited to a drink-thing afterward to meet one of our European colleagues. Thoughts on running a couple of hours after having a drink (likely beer... though I could just get a sparkling water or something?)?

That is entirely going to depend on you and how you feel a couple of hours after having a drink. If you don't know, I'd say give it a try and find out! Just don't try and run a distance PR, hydrate as usual, and you'll be fine.
    shanaber wrote: »
    Has anyone ever won one of the challenges through myfitnesspal? I have an email saying I won and the attached rules match the ones for the challenge except for some date/prize changes. The addresses and phone numbers all match. I am just nervous about sending my name, address, phone and DOB.
    @RunsOnEspresso - what challenges with prizes? On MFP?? I didn't even know they existed... What have I been missing out on?

@rheddmobile - I can't imagine people cheating at a charity 5k race or any race actually. I mean does it really have any meaning then? You take home a plaque or a prize of some kind (typically not money) what are you going to do - put it up on a wall and admire what you didn't earn?? I just don't get it.

If you're a regular logger the challenges tend to be pretty easy - log x meals or workouts in 30 days, that kind of thing. Of course now I can't find a link on the web browser, but in the app you can find it under the "... more" menu. I've hit it on accident a few times when I'm checking this forum on my phone, which I try and avoid doing because it's terrible.

I guess the reward for cheaters is getting away with it? I don't get it either.

It's totally worth it to be careful! Just remember that if you can google something, so can a scammer, so the fact that an email looks legit and has correct information doesn't mean that the link or email they want you to click/reply to is safe. That's not to say I think this is a scam, just to keep your eyes out especially if something asks for financial information.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    We have finally put our medal rack up, that we bought a couple years ago, and, umm, might be out of space already.

:lol:

Nice! I like that rack - what does it say?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    baggles36 wrote: »

LOTS of people combing beer and running. LIke there are even events where the whole purpose is to run drunk or something equally insane. Dunno, not my thing, but you probably be fine. Everyone's body is different, but among regular beer drinkers, there does not seem to be any issue with having a beer before a run.

Try it and see. If things go poorly, do not do it again. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Hey @PastorVincent, nice rack! :D;)
    Way to go @Runsonespresso for winning your challenge!

I was just thinking, "Jeeze I posted that picture hours ago and no guy has jumped in yet with the "nice rack" comment" :lol: Glad to see nothing really ever changes! :lol:
  • PastorVincent
    Options

You already heard that just rounding up is fine (and what I probably would do in your situtation). But another option for you is to just move the decimal over one. So instead of 3.2km, just run 32km. That way it is nice and round.

LOL ok yeah I get the message, will attempt to cease being silly and just go for a flippin run :-D

Nothing wrong with being silly AND going for a "flippin run" :smile:
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    5 trail miles at the lake, hot but otherwise lovely. Going for my stretch goal of 50 miles.

So, this is odd... I got the link today to the finish line video for my 5k. Looked at myself, usually I look like a shambling zombie by the end of a race but this time I looked almost perky, that was nice. What's odd is that I looked up my AG winners out of curiosity and my AG was won by a tall, athletic young man visibly wearing the bib number of the AG winner for the female 50-54 winner.

Also, the female masters winner is slowly walking a dog, and clearly her 23 minute time is her walking the mile walk, not running the 5k. And the second place finisher in the AG is also a walker with not a hair out of place. It's theoretically possible that both of these women ran like hell for the first 2.8 miles and then slowed to a casual walk when they turned the corner in view of the finish camera, but it seems damned unlikely. The course was set up so the mile walk started 15 minutes after the 5k and has the same start and finish, with the middle cut out.

I reported the man. The woman whose bib it was has run a couple of other local races and ordinarily runs 13 minute miles. It seems weird that anyone would deliberately cheat on a charity 5k, so maybe she gave her bib to her son or something without realizing he would win the AG. If he just ran with her bib that would be one thing, but he actually took the award away from the next person...

Ack. I hate this kind of thing. I'd have reported him too. Even if it was an accident, (I was once beaten by a guy in my age-group because he and his wife got their bibs mixed up), it still needed to be cleared up so the true winner could receive her award.