September 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq It seems legit. It was through an agency. Googled and looked through the website. Number they gave matches. It's always a little scary giving out personal info. LOL

That’s interesting.
    Did you sign up with your phone number age and full name?
    I wasn’t given the option on any of that. Just join.
    I would do like some one suggested reply via the MFP site only. If it’s legitimate it will get to the right people and you’ll still get your prize.
    Congratulations again on the winning!

No. I just entered on the app. The email was to my screen name here.

Its not through MFP. It's through an agency. There's no contact except the agency. If you look at the official rules in the app they give the agency name and contact info.

Oh, I'll make sure I'm close but don't win then. Not to keen on my information be given out. Thanks for speaking up about it.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    5 trail miles at the lake, hot but otherwise lovely. Going for my stretch goal of 50 miles.

So, this is odd... I got the link today to the finish line video for my 5k. Looked at myself, usually I look like a shambling zombie by the end of a race but this time I looked almost perky, that was nice. What's odd is that I looked up my AG winners out of curiosity and my AG was won by a tall, athletic young man visibly wearing the bib number of the AG winner for the female 50-54 winner.

Also, the female masters winner is slowly walking a dog, and clearly her 23 minute time is her walking the mile walk, not running the 5k. And the second place finisher in the AG is also a walker with not a hair out of place. It's theoretically possible that both of these women ran like hell for the first 2.8 miles and then slowed to a casual walk when they turned the corner in view of the finish camera, but it seems damned unlikely. The course was set up so the mile walk started 15 minutes after the 5k and has the same start and finish, with the middle cut out.

I reported the man. The woman whose bib it was has run a couple of other local races and ordinarily runs 13 minute miles. It seems weird that anyone would deliberately cheat on a charity 5k, so maybe she gave her bib to her son or something without realizing he would win the AG. If he just ran with her bib that would be one thing, but he actually took the award away from the next person...

Wow. Cheating is sooooo frowned upon... I'm glad you caught it and reported it. I dont see how when they handed the AG award for a womans AG, they didn't notice the man wasn't a woman...

You can always post that on FB or uh, another runners site, I cant remember, letsrun maybe, if you dont get satisfaction.
    Letsrun would probably make fun of it being that it's a local 5k and they can be snotty about what they call "hobby joggers". It's definitely NOT a supportive group like this. Glad you reported what you noticed to the race directors, though. I wonder, did the lady the number belonged to accept the award - maybe the race has a facebook page with pictures?
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 I wonder why she missed the corner; can you do that by accident pretty easily on a trail race? Or was it just that she regretted it once she realized she was taking a prize?

It is VERY VERY easy at some races, even some road races I have been in. I would assume she missed by mistake unless heard otherwise. *I* have done it by mistake, so I know it is doable. :)

Sometimes trails are poorly marked. Sometimes volunteers direcr people the wrong way. I've seen volunteers mix up directions.

At my last (trail 10k) race they messed up the course markings and it came out way short (9.4k or even less). I didn't keep running to get 10 because I probably shouldn't've even started and finished with my leg hurting pretty badly, but was really worried that I had gone the wrong way and cut the course. Figured out later I ran the same as everyone else - they even had a water station in a place that wasn't supposed to be on the course.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 I wonder why she missed the corner; can you do that by accident pretty easily on a trail race? Or was it just that she regretted it once she realized she was taking a prize?

Trail races on single track are super easy to miss a turn even when they're well-flagged and have lots of marshals. It's just easy to zone out in the trees I find! I missed a turn twice (different races) but I did extra distance rather than shorting the courses.
  • sarahthes
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Morning all! These stories of getting lost on races worry me. The one I'm doing Sunday is supposed to be 9k but they have a disclaimer that it's actually 9.2 due to a dogleg to cross a a road safely.

I'm getting really excited about this run!

I did 6.5k this morning and felt good! Could have gone longer but want to do a long run Friday so thought best to save my legs.

Oh, do not worry. Unless you are super fast, you will have people in front of you to follow :D

That was my problem at my first 10K. I was super slow so only the stragglers were still running the same way as me (out and back). A bunch of us overshot the turnaround together as it was poorly marked!

@RunRachelleRun I will be there! I'm going to probably register tonight once I'm home from work. Ha, my parents will be thrilled - they're already trying to convince me to visit for a whole week and not just the weekend!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    5 trail miles at the lake, hot but otherwise lovely. Going for my stretch goal of 50 miles.

So, this is odd... I got the link today to the finish line video for my 5k. Looked at myself, usually I look like a shambling zombie by the end of a race but this time I looked almost perky, that was nice. What's odd is that I looked up my AG winners out of curiosity and my AG was won by a tall, athletic young man visibly wearing the bib number of the AG winner for the female 50-54 winner.

Also, the female masters winner is slowly walking a dog, and clearly her 23 minute time is her walking the mile walk, not running the 5k. And the second place finisher in the AG is also a walker with not a hair out of place. It's theoretically possible that both of these women ran like hell for the first 2.8 miles and then slowed to a casual walk when they turned the corner in view of the finish camera, but it seems damned unlikely. The course was set up so the mile walk started 15 minutes after the 5k and has the same start and finish, with the middle cut out.

I reported the man. The woman whose bib it was has run a couple of other local races and ordinarily runs 13 minute miles. It seems weird that anyone would deliberately cheat on a charity 5k, so maybe she gave her bib to her son or something without realizing he would win the AG. If he just ran with her bib that would be one thing, but he actually took the award away from the next person...

Wow. Cheating is sooooo frowned upon... I'm glad you caught it and reported it. I dont see how when they handed the AG award for a womans AG, they didn't notice the man wasn't a woman...

You can always post that on FB or uh, another runners site, I cant remember, letsrun maybe, if you dont get satisfaction.
    Letsrun would probably make fun of it being that it's a local 5k and they can be snotty about what they call "hobby joggers". It's definitely NOT a supportive group like this. Glad you reported what you noticed to the race directors, though. I wonder, did the lady the number belonged to accept the award - maybe the race has a facebook page with pictures?

No that just makes me depressed, "hobby joggers"? I dont find dead bodies for a hobbie. Although, I wouldn't be opposed to such a thing. But then, I think, I'd be a canine.

Yeah, this thread is a gem on the net. Been part of it probably a year now, not sure, and it always has been supportive.

WELL, THERE WAS THAT WHOLE INSULTING MY HOTDOGS INCIDENT but, eh, nothing is perfect I guess. :lol:

Oh fill me in, I missed that one!
  • sarahthes
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

No that just makes me depressed, "hobby joggers"? I dont find dead bodies for a hobbie. Although, I wouldn't be opposed to such a thing. But then, I think, I'd be a canine.

Yeah, this thread is a gem on the net. Been part of it probably a year now, not sure, and it always has been supportive.

WELL, THERE WAS THAT WHOLE INSULTING MY HOTDOGS INCIDENT but, eh, nothing is perfect I guess. :lol:

Oh fill me in, I missed that one!

Wasn't there something about ketchup too? It was when I was still lurking, before I started posting.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    Hey, welcome back @LaDispute57! Was wondering where you've been.
    And welcome @KWKirkbride.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @RunsOnEspresso - Congrats on winning!
    @rheddmobile - I'll never understand those that cheat; for some great reading and head-shaking, try Marathon Investigation.
    @Safati - Welcome!
    @charpenelopee - Another welcome!
    @KWKirkbride - And yet more welcome!

Can't wait to make a post where I don't mention the word 'humid'. Ran with the group this morning after the usual solo stint, and the woman I was pacing on Saturday felt bad that she couldn't run the race properly, so tried giving me money to pay for my entry fee. I couldn't take it; she can donate it to charity if it'll help ease her conscience. :smile:

Also, not sure if anyone here uses Achievement or not, and apologies if it's been brought up before, but if you want to get paid for your running, and you're a US resident, then create an account and link your Garmin/Fitbit/Strava/MFP account to it to get points. Sneaky referral link :smirk: . Every 10,000 points can be redeemed for $10...not going to retire on it any time soon (takes me about two months to earn that many points), but it's free money to my PayPal account for doing something that I would have been doing anyways, and it'll pay for a race entry per year. :smile:

And there is another one called Running heroes - also get rewards for connecting your Strava etc. and its international (nah nah nah lol). here is my sneaky referral line... [url=" https://nz.runningheroes.com/?r=1&code=rJQh8uBS7"] https://nz.runningheroes.com/?r=1&code=rJQh8uBS7[/url]

ok I dont know how you do those fancy links...

ETA they do challenges where you can win prizes by completing runs, and you get coins to use toward vouchers - easy to build up.