September 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Ooh, I love lefse. My Danish grandmother would make it all the time, but we would eat it with bacon and butter. Yummm. I wish I knew how to make it. It is tricky.

@RunRachelleRun It's official we have 2 things in common.
    Running and lefse. According to my mom Red Potatoes are better and they must be naturally cooled to room temp before you try to work with them. Of course mom always cooks it on a wood stove ( I mean directly on the stove body, no cast iron pan ) to give it that smoky taste. A bit of shredded cheese and a few secs in the microwave.
    Not good for the calorie count but a great pre-race carbo load

I had to look up lefse, sounds yummy! Not a thing I can eat much of as a diabetic, but I can usually eat quite a few potatoes after a long run, so maybe someday I can try them!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    SO!!

I figured out what race I signed up for this weekend:

https://runsignup.com/Race/PA/MoonTownship/PITFlyBy5K

It is on an airport runway! That should be like perfectly flat, even here in Pittsburg, right?

That would make it stellar for a PR attempt, but I have not done speed work in months and weather could be anything this time of year. So not sure yet. :)

I did a run the runway once. The runway is not as flat as one would think. Lol
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    nikkit321 wrote: »
    Hi, I'd like to jump into your thread even though I've missed more than half the month.

I've been a runner for the last 10 years or so, have gone through breaking bones in my left foot twice in late 2015, followed by breast cancer/radiation in 2016, lost my father 2 days before completing radiation, only to go through a broken leg Memorial Day this year. Seems like all I do is restart running and then stop again. So now that I'm cleared to run again, I'm using Couch to 10k to get back into it slowly, seems like it's a slower increase than C25k.

9/19 - C210K W4/D2

PS Wow, I really do sound rather pitiful the last few years.

Welcome! You don’t sound pitiful in a negative way - that is an awful run of unfortunate events! Here’s hoping the C210k program can keep you off the injury train.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    What is so wrong with ketchup on a hot dog? That is how I eat them, unless it is a chili cheese dog!

There is nothing wrong with eating a hot dog with ketchup on it. It is the proper way actually.

In Chicago you would be beaten for putting ketchup on a hot dog. MUSTARD ONLY.

@PastorVincent - I need to get a "real" rack for my medals. Currently mine are hanging from a tie rack. It works. It was cheap. But I'd like something a little more inspiring! I saw Detroit Metal Works listed as a vendor at the Wineglass Half so I'll check them out. I LOVE the verse!

@Safati - I "hated" running all my life - thought it was stupid and horrible. Then all 3 of my daughters ran cross country in H.S. and I was inspired to give it a try. I was 49 when I started. I remember very well the day I ran 1 mile without having to stop. In two weeks I will be running half marathon's #21 and #22. Do I always "love" it? Not by a long shot. But I'm addicted and I LOVE LOVE LOVE how it makes me feel - emotionally and physically. I have two nephews that run now because of me and that makes me proud. My daughters are unbelievably proud of me. I ran the Chicago marathon in 2012 and I sobbed crossing the finish line out of pure joy and disbelief that I had just run 26.2 miles. My grandkids wear my medals when they come to play. I use it as an excuse to travel places. There's nothing about it I don't love. So give it an honest shot because you just never know.

@garygse & @Avidkeo - WHAT???? I can earn points for running? Why have I not known this before. I don't care if it takes me a year! $10 is $10! Thanks for mentioning it.

Ran just 2 miles this morning - but I'm feeling good for my upcoming races. One more long run this weekend.

June goal - 44/44
    July goal - 52/52
    August goal - 55/57 miles
    Sept goal - 49/60 miles

Sept. 30 - Wineglass Half Marathon; Corning, NY
    October 7 - Viking Dash Half Marathon; Toledo, OH

exercise.png

That is freaking awesome! A big motivation for me getting healthier was seeing how much my mom’s health has declined and wanting to do whatever I can to avoid that. I’m hoping to have kids soon and I worry they won’t have much time with their grandma if she doesn’t start taking care of herself. I can’t live her life, though, so I just try to be a good example.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Re: the ketchup dog debate - I have always loved ketchup on hot dogs, but my husband grew up in Chicago where yes, they will beat you for putting a tomato based product anywhere near a hot dog. So I tried "Chicago style" with sport peppers, mustard, alien green relish, and onions. The relish is disgusting, it's still in my fridge I think but I need to toss it. Sport peppers are impossible to get in Memphis and a little too hot for me. But the onions are good.

So now I offend against the hot dog arbiters by putting salsa on mine.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Welcome @nikkit321. You don't sound pitiful at all. Actually sound a lot like me (and probably many other here) with regard to constantly restarting due to injury. You'll fit right in!
    And also welcome @RandJ6280. We feel your pain too.
    Welcome to any newbies I missed. Seems like there were a lot of you in the past few days.

@rheddmobile it's great that your speaking up allowed so many to qualify for awards!
    @hesn92 I hope your arms and legs aren't too badly scraped up! I had my son's pit bull for the summer, and at first I could barely hold her on her leash. She would almost pull my down whenever she saw another dog, squirrel, rabbit, person, mosquito... But that only happened one time. As soon as I saw she wasn't leash trained, I got a front-attached harness. From the minute I put it on her, she was like a totally different dog. She tried to pull a few times at first, but the harness immediately forces her to turn back, and from then on she knew she couldn't pull. I highly recommend them!

haltis are also good, or martingale collars appropriately placed.
    old girl was really leash aggressive when i got her so i used a head harness. much better behaved dog.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,373 Member
    @hesn92 - I am so sorry you got so scraped up! Hobbes the Vizsla loves everyone and would love to visit with every person and/or dog on the trail. I run with him on my left against traffic (2 lane paved trail) so that a) he is out of the way go the cyclists who come zooming up behind us and b) I don't have to focus on what he is doing constantly. I use a waist leash and don't usually even have the leash in my hand. Even though he is very well trained many of the other dogs are not friendly and not everyone likes dogs as much as he likes them. When he was younger he did trip me similar to yours when he went one way to see some kids and then caught sight of a rabbit and reversed across in front of me. He was very upset though when I fell, trying to lick my face, arms and legs. I agree with @scott6255 on the harness. I use one occasionally still depending on the situation. We did have an unfortunate event last week though where one of our neighbor's tied their smallish dog up on a long lead to a tree in their front yard and another neighbor was walking her pit bull (Blue - a favorite friend of Hobbes) and Blue pulled away from the owner going after the small dog and unfortunately killed it. A terrible situation for both families and now everyone is up in arms in our area against anyone who has a pittie :(

@MegaMooseEsq - your mom needs to want to improve things however if she mentions something that makes you think she is interested in getting in better shape make some 'gentle' suggestions for walks or joining a fitness group at the Y or a gym. When I was so frustrated about not losing weight my daughter made a suggestion that led to where I am now... (similar journey as @biketheworld, I just started a few years later in my mid 50's). You would be surprised at how much impact a little encouragement from our children can have on us! Maybe even talking to her about how you would love for her to get stronger so she can play with the grandkids soon :)

@pastorvincent - I have a really neat 3-Section rack (each section about the size of yours) for my medals that the family got me for Christmas a few years ago. Unfortunately it has never made it up onto a wall. The sections are too short to make it across to studs and my DH is concerned that the weight of the medals will pull it right off the wall. Now we are getting ready to get the inside of the house painted, I have hope that we will get a board to mount the rack on and that it can then go on the wall!

Rest day for me today. I was going to run since I won't be able to run tomorrow but Hobbes wanted to snuggle this morning so how could I say no to that? It helped that I have DOMs from lifting yesterday and feel pretty stiff. Also realized I hadn't posted my run yesterday.

Date........Miles.......Total
    09/01......0.00.......0.00
    09/02......8.23.......8.23
    09/03......3.82.....12.05 - + Agility
    09/04......0.00.....12.05 - To Oregon
    09/05......0.00.....12.05
    09/06......3.88.....15.93 - Cool Hillsboro
    09/07......2.57.....18.50
    09/08......0.00.....18.50 - Santa Ynez
    09/09......1.60.....20.10 - Run to the dog park
    09/10......4.30.....24.40 - Treadmill intervals, Home + Agility
    09/11......5.25.....29.65 - + Strength Training
    09/12......6.41.....36.06
    09/13......0.00.....36.06 - + Strength Training
    09/14......0.00.....36.06 - Extra rest day
    09/15....10.07.....46.13
    09/16......2.00.....48.13
    09/17......4.80.....52.93 - + Agility
    09/18......5.21.....58.14 - + Strength Training
    09/19......0.00.....58.14

exercise.png

My completed and upcoming races. Let me know if you will be running them too.
    02/04/18 - Surf City Half Marathon
    05/05/18 - Cinco de Miles 5k
    07/22/18 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon

10/14/18 - Surf City 10k
    10/27/18 - SoCal Halloween Wigged Out 5k
    12/16/18 - SoCal Santa Claus for a Cause 10k
    12/30/18 - Run In The New Year's 10k
    02/03/19 - Surf City Half Marathon
    05/11/19 - Santa Barbara Wine Country Half Marathon
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    @hesn92 - I am so sorry you got so scraped up! Hobbes the Vizsla loves everyone and would love to visit with every person and/or dog on the trail. I run with him on my left against traffic (2 lane paved trail) so that a) he is out of the way go the cyclists who come zooming up behind us and b) I don't have to focus on what he is doing constantly. I use a waist leash and don't usually even have the leash in my hand. Even though he is very well trained many of the other dogs are not friendly and not everyone likes dogs as much as he likes them. When he was younger he did trip me similar to yours when he went one way to see some kids and then caught sight of a rabbit and reversed across in front of me. He was very upset though when I fell, trying to lick my face, arms and legs. I agree with @scott6255 on the harness. I use one occasionally still depending on the situation. We did have an unfortunate event last week though where one of our neighbor's tied their smallish dog up on a long lead to a tree in their front yard and another neighbor was walking her pit bull (Blue - a favorite friend of Hobbes) and Blue pulled away from the owner going after the small dog and unfortunately killed it. A terrible situation for both families and now everyone is up in arms in our area against anyone who has a pittie :(

That's terrible :( I know how a lot of people feel about pit bulls and that's why I try to be really responsible with her and don't let her go up to people unless they specifically ask if they can pet her. I think it's common courtesy anyway, not everyone likes dogs. Even if a dog is super well behaved and has never shown any form of aggression, they are still a dog and you just never know.

I've never ever had an issue controlling her on a walk, but when I was already down on the ground from being tripped, there wasn't really anything I could do. I was really afraid everyone there was judging me for not having good control over her, and I'm scared to walk her again. She's an oldie, she's like 12 and is starting to have issues getting around, so it's not like I'm dealing with an over-active puppy, but still. I may look into getting a harness for her. She really is so well behaved but I guess sometimes she just gets so excited and can't control herself.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    shanaber wrote: »

@pastorvincent - I have a really neat 3-Section rack (each section about the size of yours) for my medals that the family got me for Christmas a few years ago. Unfortunately it has never made it up onto a wall. The sections are too short to make it across to studs and my DH is concerned that the weight of the medals will pull it right off the wall. Now we are getting ready to get the inside of the house painted, I have hope that we will get a board to mount the rack on and that it can then go on the wall!

Mine is actually longer than the stud distance, so the holes do not line up. What I did was put a single screw into a stud and then use a stiff wire (you can get them in craft stores) to use to hang the medal rack form the one screw.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    @hesn92 Congrats on week 5 day 3! Sorry about the pup incident.

@sarahthes I am in Maple Ridge. It will be about a 40-minute drive for us in the morning. We have stayed downtown on occasion the night before, but the night after is usually more fun, when we can indulge and celebrate. Keep me posted. We have an uncomfortable sofa bed if you interested.

@rheddmobile That’s pretty shocking but good that it got sorted out. Hopefully they will take some measures to avoid those issues in the future. Congrats on moving into 7th!

@nikkit321 Sorry about everything. You have been dealt a lot. Glad you are feeling healthy now and able to pursue running again. Welcome!