• beastier
    beastier Posts: 1,908 Member
    if0zwklcpp2j.jpeg
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    edited June 2020
    Tue 6/9

MORNING
    40 Chin ups, 105 Push ups (both in sets to failure with minimal rest between sets)
    20 miles on mountain bike trails. Vigorous with many inclines.

Same old same old, but it works for me!
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 966 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Bari_Tone wrote: »
    We (4 to 6 of us) do push-ups at the office every M-W-F, about once per hour, just to break up the day and to quit staring at the computer screen for a minute. We track our push-up count on a spreadsheet.

Yesterday we surpassed 2,000 total push-ups in the past 6 weeks.

What a fun place to work!

I have done similar for years. It's amazing how much just 3 to 4 minutes, once an hour 3X a week adds up. I also find if I do it that way, it doesn't seem like a lifting workout as much and I don't dread it as bad. It takes me around 3 minutes to do 25 pushups, 25 weighted squats/KB swings or KB deadlifts and 15 single arm pressups (each arm). On top of my rowing, that keeps me in pretty decent shape.

I do miss the heavy lifting from the gym once a week or so, but this is a lot better than nothing and most would underestimate how much strength that 200 pushups a day, 3X a week will give you. Plus, it's proven to help with mental clarity throughout the day.

I get bored whilst working at home, and focus better if I break my work sessions up. So, if possible, once an hour I:
    • Walk around the garden 6 times, or
    • Run up and down stairs 6 times, and
    • Do something upper body which is not max effort - like 20 push ups, some easy hangboarding or 6 pull ups

This means I get 15,000 steps or so in even when I don't leave the house. I don't get it every hour, as meetings etc. get in the way.

Anyway, yesterday I did an hour's yoga before breakfast and then hangboarded in the evening, followed by a max effort pull up session. I'm trying to improve my pinch strength - my pinch block training seems to have 10 kgs maximum for 10 second hold, which is apparently in line with my climbing grade. I'm hoping to get up to 12.5 kgs after a month or so.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,306 Member
    @ Matt (drmwc) - that's a lot of steps, stairs and upper body work! Maybe it's me, but I don't have the patience (or the time) to set aside 60 to 80 minutes for a weight lifting workout any longer, especially with all the cardio I do.

Went outside this AM and the smoke was minimal. Temps were nice too. Mid to high 60s, which for this time of year in Tucson is a quite cool, so took advantage of it and did an hour Steady State rowing session. Getting better and better at keeping the HR down. Got to 140 once but nearly all of it was under 137/138, so 71% or 72% of max or less, and it only got that high toward the end with drift. Average of 69% max for the hour. I shoot for the high end of the 65% to 70% Max HR as a rule on these easy cardio sessions. Just over 12K meters (2:29 pace/20 SPM).

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Today was a run day on my schedule, so I joined a few friends on a five mile trail run through the woods. It was warm and fairly humid, but the scenery was great and the bugs weren't bad.
  • drmwc
    edited June 2020
    @Mike - it's odd, I generally look forward to weight-type stuff more than cardio-type stuff. I love walking, hiking and swimming, but I never really look forward to using the erg, say. The type of climbing I do (bouldering) is also more emphasis on short, powerful stuff than endurance. That said, I believe increases to endurance benefit bouldering, in that it can increase the amount of work done by the fast twitch muscle fibres.

Yesterday, I did an evening walk. It was raining quite hard, and my climbing holds were very slippy as a result. So I abandoned my plan of climbing. I did 3 sets of 5 goblet squats with a 32kgs kettlebell; and then 100 swings with a 28 kgs bell.

I then did a high intensity core thing. It was a new workout for me, utlising a pulley I'd just bought. Here is the programme:
    https://youtu.be/M31mFyC6tMY

• cmentis182
    cmentis182 Posts: 36 Member
    Tue 6/9

MORNING
    40 Chin ups, 105 Push ups (both in sets to failure with minimal rest between sets)
    20 miles on mountain bike trails. Vigorous with many inclines.

Same old same old, but it works for me!

Damn, Saitama!
  • MikePfirrman
    @ Matt - that looks awesome! I've been trying to figure out how to make a DIY Endless Rope Machine. The only machine I miss at the gym! It's actually a climber oriented machine but I find it a lot of fun in a painful sort of way. Great cardio, core, shoulder, tricep and leg workout all at the same time. Lats too.

Unfortunately, the Bighorn Fire in Tucson has gotten worse. Homes in the Catalina Foothills, one of my favorite areas of the city, just on the other side of the mountains, is threatened right now. We have this "ready, set, go" alert system and they are on "Set" right now, being advised to prepare to evacuate at any time. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that for those folks. We're talking around 1000 homes.

So, decided, probably not wisely, to row outside this AM. 75 to 77 degrees this AM, but also more smoke than I thought in the air. Did a great job of keeping the HR under 137 nearly the entire row (71% of max HR), but the pace fell off badly in the second half likely because of the smoke.

2:31 pace/20 SPM, 11.8K meters.

• Djproulx
    edited June 2020
    After two key sessions this week, I started today with an easy 35 min recovery ride on the trainer. My afternoon session was 20 minutes of stretch cord work for swimming, then a 35 minute shakeout run. I'll be back on the trainer tomorrow morning.
  • GetHeroFit
    GetHeroFit Posts: 27 Member
    New watch. Working through a 5k program.
  • drmwc
    edited June 2020
    I did an hour of yoga in the morning. I climbed a bit in the evening, for around an hour. It was fun.

My mats were a bit too close to the base. I fell from the top (attempting a dyno to a tiny crimp). They didn't fully catch my fall - I mainly landed on the garden. I am fine, but it is something to think about next time on the wall.
  • beastier
    beastier Posts: 1,908 Member
    Leg day....

Im not too fussed about building up muscle mass in my legs, but leg day helps add a bit of power to the running and also of course they’re a big calorie burner - therefore trained with intensity rather than targeting amount of weight..this session hit quite hard on the cardio to:

• Quad circuit (target 4/5 rounds, 10 reps per set):
    ○ Pistol squats
    ○ Barbell squats
    ○ TRX dumbell-weighted side lunges
    ○ Dumbell lying glute raises
    ○ Resistance band seated leg extensions
    • Supaset:
    ○ Barbell stiff legged deadlift
    Belt-weighted box calf raises
  • Djproulx
    Trainer ride this morning was a Sweet Spot Step Down routine. It is focused on sweet spot intervals while also working on pedaling dynamics.

72 minute session included 25 minutes of warm up cadences/power, and single leg drills. The main set was 4 x 8min blocks ( 4min @205watts, 3min @200w 95-100rpm, 1 min@190w 105-115rpm) w/4 min recovery & 5 min cooldown. I struggled to hold power steady during the high cadence periods. Feels like I'm carrying some fatigue.

Will run tomorrow. :)
  • MikePfirrman
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Trainer ride this morning was a Sweet Spot Step Down routine. It is focused on sweet spot intervals while also working on pedaling dynamics.

72 minute session included 25 minutes of warm up cadences/power, and single leg drills. The main set was 4 x 8min blocks ( 4min @205watts, 3min @200w 95-100rpm, 1 min@190w 105-115rpm) w/4 min recovery & 5 min cooldown. I struggled to hold power steady during the high cadence periods. Feels like I'm carrying some fatigue.

Will run tomorrow. :)

I did similar to your "main set", but that was it for me today. Tried to do a 4 X 2K/4 minute rest on the rower in the garage. Not a good idea. I did that because the smoke in the air is bad right now with the wildfire (now the largest in the US and around 300 firefighters fighting it) being 8 miles from my house. The garage was like 90 degrees and my little fan did next to nothing. I couldn't open the garage door because that would let all the outside smoke in, so I did 2K on the rower and then finished up the other 3 intervals on the AD Pro (Assault Bike).

Proud of myself getting in four intervals and grateful to have an alternative to the rower. I could put the rower in our workout room, I suppose, but it would literally be wall to wall equipment and dog crates in that room.

x1t6z6k1zbp1.png
    bjydv9wlt3tt.png
  • Djproulx

I did similar to your "main set", but that was it for me today. Tried to do a 4 X 2K/4 minute rest on the rower in the garage. Not a good idea. I did that because the smoke in the air is bad right now with the wildfire (now the largest in the US and around 300 firefighters fighting it) being 8 miles from my house. The garage was like 90 degrees and my little fan did next to nothing. I couldn't open the garage door because that would let all the outside smoke in, so I did 2K on the rower and then finished up the other 3 intervals on the AD Pro (Assault Bike).

Proud of myself getting in four intervals and grateful to have an alternative to the rower. I could put the rower in our workout room, I suppose, but it would literally be wall to wall equipment and dog crates in that room.

I can't imagine doing that workout in a 90 degree garage with no air flow.
    My cycling work is done in my basement with a fan, and I still go through the contents of two 20oz bottles of fluid/electrolytes during a typical 75-90 minute session.

• MikePfirrman
    @Djproulx - I just did the first one and said, "this is NOT a good idea". And did the rest upstairs in our little workout room in the A/C on the Assault Bike, with a fan! My garage was like an oven.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,304 Member
    Yikes! I apparently did 1:20 of stretching and black rolling. I noticed that some leg muscles were 'stuck' and got out my blackroll and did alternating stretching and rolling legs, hips and bum. I have no idea how much time I spent with my legs on the roll and my hands supporting my weight, but my arms are certainly very tired now. Interspersed with a bit of dancing, shimmies and similar things.

This was followed by about 30 minutes of dancing and jumping around. Interspersed with a bit more stretching.
  • hawkeye45_
    hawkeye45_ Posts: 812 Member
    5 minute walk followed by ten rounds of 12-second jogging and 2 minutes walking, then 5 minute cool down walk.
  • Djproulx
    JimDew wrote: »
    And since I can’t seem to edit again... the boys and I are doing some trap shooting tonight. Not sure about exercise, but boom! Boom!

"PULL!"