What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,306 Member
    edited June 2020
    Did my wife's LateralX to try it out. 700 calories in 9 minutes!! Wow! :DB)

Someone needs to tell Bowflex they are full of it on their calorie burn estimates! I did have it up all the way and widest foot settings (it feels like power skating). Nice muscle burn but really didn't break a sweat.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member

Someone needs to tell Bowflex they are full of it on their calorie burn estimates! I did have it up all the way and widest foot settings (it feels like power skating). Nice muscle burn but really didn't break a sweat.

Note to Self: Ditch your stoopid bike and get a Bowflex!!! :)
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Yoga and weight training - upped the poundage.
  • carriestrine
    carriestrine Posts: 214 Member
    45 mins on peloton bike, personal best output. I finally can stay out of the saddle when the instructor tells me to, and after 2 months I could finally finish the arm workout. Getting stronger, unnoticeable baby steps of progress that add up to milestones!
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 966 Member
    I had a rest day yesterday. I did a bit of a walk, and was listening to good music, so I ended up running for a little bit. I got just under 19,000 steps.

Question for runners: How important are the shoes? I was in my sandals, and it occurred to me afterwards that this may be sub-optimal. They are good sandals - I've done a few walks at 15 miles or slightly longer in them.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    pfprimo wrote: »
    Wed 6/3

MORNING
    17.9 miles on mountain bike trails. Vigorous with many inclines.

NOON
    1 hour yard work

AFTERNOON
    35 Chin ups, 102 Push ups (both in sets to failure )

Never underestimate the exercise / fitness value of yard work. I live in central Florida and we're now in full-blown summer heat & humidity, and now into our rainy season, meaning that my grass and hedges require near-constant attention - it's a workout, for sure. I probably burn as many calories during an hour or two of yard work as I do a ~6 mile run.

Exactly, yard work is a great workout! I'm in Nebraska, and we are already in the 90s...the humidity here is ridicules too.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited June 2020
    Djproulx wrote: »

Note to Self: Ditch your stoopid bike and get a Bowflex!!! :)

Ironically, I like the machine. Have to figure out how to work it in more. I just will never understand why companies have to put outrageous calorie burn numbers in. This thing had a counter that was going like a stop watch so fast. I know Olympic rowers can burn 40 or even 50 calories a minute (but I'm no Olympic rower!). And it was saying I'm burning 100 calories around every minute. Just silliness.

@drmwc - Matt, very important on the shoes. I ran for like six or seven years. I'd get fitted at a shoe store at least one time to understand how your running gate works. Make note of it. Then, after that, you can buy shoes online that match your running style or how much support you like. You will eventually figure out which brands you like. Once I figured out I was a neutral runner, I was able to get shoes online that were older models for much cheaper. My wife overpronates severely and has bad arches, so I had to get her shoes for that -- great for support and overpronating. Once I understood that, I've had great luck reading reviews on shoes and buying them online for her as well. The last pair I got her online was better than what we got in shoe stores early on.
  • Kodekai1988
    Kodekai1988 Posts: 49 Member
    Ran 10k this morning. - it’s a little bit cooler in the UK now which is amazing. Plus less runners and cyclists when it’s cloudy which is also great.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    6 sets of hamstring exercises, 3 sets of calves, half hour yoga. Will take a walk before getting in a car for 4 hours
  • MikePfirrman
    Easy hour row today again. Started at 5 AM and it was 78.7 degrees. When I ended at 6 AM, it was exactly the same temp, so at least it didn't get hotter, which was good.

I broke the row up into two 30 minute rows with 2 minutes between to allow the HR to come down. Worked well. Max HR was 137. Pace suffers a bit when this hot but that's not a huge concern for me right now. It was 2:30 on the first half hour and 2:31 or 2:32 on the second to keep it right at 137 (70% of max HR capped).
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    iuj28xxx994p.png
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    edited June 2020
    Thur 6/4

MORNING
    17.7 miles on mountain bike trails. Vigorous with many inclines.

AFTERNOON
    40 Chin ups, 110 Push ups (both in sets to failure with minimal rest between sets)
  • hawkeye45_
    hawkeye45_ Posts: 812 Member
    Kettlebell Swings
    15 pounds (because that's all I could find right now)
    10 reps EMOM for 10 minutes
  • MikePfirrman
    hawkeye45_ wrote: »
    Kettlebell Swings
    15 pounds (because that's all I could find right now)
    10 reps EMOM for 10 minutes

I do a lot of them (or did before I hurt my back last year -- not doing KB swings!). I think it's great to start with lighter KBs and work on form first anyway. Took my over a year to understand it's a hip drive, not a squat and arm lift, if that makes sense. 15 lbs is a lot more forgiving then 30, 40, 50 or more lbs.
  • grmreapper
    grmreapper Posts: 29 Member
    Ran 9.2 miles
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    edited June 2020
    Rest day today, so I exercised my casting arm by throwing dry flies to trout. Beautiful night to be on the river.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Did a 30-minute upper-body workout in the evening and tried to avoid doing cardio so only walked about 5k steps on my lunch break. I'm feeling antsy and my energy's on 10 like...

s0r9lcf9djro.gif
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 966 Member
    edited June 2020
    I did an hour of yoga before breakfast.

I did hangboarding and lifting in the evening:

Warm up:
    Some sprints on the erg, band stuff, burpees, pull ups and easy hangs. My pace on the rower was 1.54 over 2 minutes, which is kind of slow for a sprint.
    Max length hangs:
    These were disappointing. I was out of form. 20 seconds on a 20mm edge was the best I got.
    Upper body lifts:
    Military press, 35 kgs, 3 sets of 6
    Bench press, 50 kgs, 3 sets of 6
    Bent over row, 60 kgs, 3 sets of 6.

The evening workout was just over 2 hours.

I should get a giant jug for my climbing wall today, so my plan is to practice double dynos. I'm terrible at them, so it is definitely hitting a weakness of mine. (They are moves where you briefly have 0 points of contact with the wall .)
  • MikePfirrman
    edited June 2020
    Same workout as last Friday. And just like last week, I forgot to turn on the HRM before the first 2K interval.

4 X 2K/3:30 rest. Improvement by nearly a full second off of last week's average (.9 second improvement). I posted this week and at the end last week's same row. Anything near a second is a nice chunk to take off, so that's progress in the right direction. Last hump on the HRM graph is actually a 2K Cooldown. The first interval was done before I turned on the app.

HR got a bit higher this week than last week as well on these. Pain tolerance is also important on these. The other thing to look at on these is consistency. Last week was fly and die. This week, much more consistent with an idea of what average to start at (you should start at around the average of the prior round). Had to sprint on the last one at the end to hold under 2:10 average for that last rep, so certainly left it all out there, as the HR indicates. Oh, starting and ending temperature was 78 degrees, so it was certainly a warm 5 AM. Same temp when finished, so at least it didn't get hotter!

@ Matt - the sprint is all relative. You and I are comparing our numbers to others in our rowing group (Sub7). Keep in mind, many of them, especially those over 40 and the 50 heavies, are the tops in the world. Have to keep it in perspective. My goal is to do this workout all sub 8 minutes, ideally all sub 7:50 again (I've done that before). Some of the top guys in our group can do this same workout all sub 7 X 4 sets, which is just silly strong.

190jmud4usw0.jpg
    ccjb0v6qd81u.png
    qa8oaj7hkeg9.png
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Walked 3 miles in intense heat w my mom but we felt dizzy and faint. Sitting down for a bit to recover.