WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2018

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,674 Member
    3:30 PM here In Connecticut been busy and now resting for a few minutes... ,will make myself a cup of tea and then on to cleaning out the fridge and vacuuming all the carpets...
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member
    :)
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Today is International Mountain Day!

Sharing in honor of my mountain home, which I miss especially this time of year: "In 1998, the United Nations General Assembly declared 2002 as the International Year of Mountains, and in a resolution in December 2002, they designated December 11 as International Mountain Day. It was first held the following year. They created the day to raise awareness about the importance of mountains, saying the United Nations 'encourages the international community to organize on this day events at all levels to highlight the importance of sustainable mountain development.'"

Meg - Oh, I can't even imagine what it's like to have a loved one incarcerated! The holidays are stressful enough without that - glad you are taking care of yourself by giving yourself an extra week off.

Lanette - I made Madhur Jaffrey's green lentils with garlic and onion last night. I can never find green lentils here so I order them online. The recipe works with regular lentils too, but I like the green ones for this.

Felicia - Oh, dear. It's too bad your faculty member is lashing out on social media. That sort of thing can snowball in a hurry, and it never seems to end well for anybody involved. I have a professor friend who is currently being run through the ringer over a misunderstanding that went viral after students posted video to social media. There is background information that all those people hopping on the bandwagon don't know, and she's getting hate mail accusing her of being something she is not.

Becca - Oh, my gosh, I LOVE that cat! He looks like he would rule the house for sure. I wouldn't want to cross him!

Karen - Everybody loves the neighbor who clears their driveways!

Michele - I'm stressing about the holiday a bit too. Between his cold and my work, Philip and I have accomplished exactly nothing as far as cleaning up the living room and kitchen so we can have his parents over for Christmas dinner. I suspect it's going to get down to the wire and we'll end up just tossing stuff into my office and closing the door! This afternoon when I clock out of work, I WILL get up in the attic to dig out the stockings.

Heather - Glad you are best friends with your husband again! Guess we all have a bad day every now and then. It's good to be able to get past it. The little beach huts are so cheery... wish we did that on the Texas coast but they'd get blown away regularly.

Katla - About the cat poisoner coming back as a cat, all I can say is "from your mouth to Bast's ears!"

The greyhound people just emailed me to ask when I can foster again. Our last foster was with us for nearly six months, and he was special needs so he took a lot of extra time. I'm going to tell them I can do short-term relief fosters over the holidays (i.e., filling in for another foster who is going on vacation) but we need to wait until February to take a regular foster again. We're taking the travel trailer to the beach in January, and once we get back I have to stay at Dad's river house for a few days while we have foundation work done. Both of those would be more complicated with a foster dog in tow.

I've been reading up on intermittent fasting and considering implementing something simple like restricting eating to certain hours. I don't want to catch myself using that as an excuse to stuff my face with anything and everything during "feeding time" though. Other than that, I can't think of any significant reason not to try it, as it would really just mean compressing my day a little. The toughest part would be getting dinner in before the nightly fast since we are night owls at our house.

I got busy and never did get in a workout yesterday, but at least I kept the calories under control. Maybe this evening I'll hop on the Nordic Track machine and pretend I'm in the mountains again.

Be kind to yourselves!

-Yvonne in TX
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,493 Member
    Trrfvgggv
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited December 2018
    Hi ladies

I haven't had a chance to log in and read since I left Norway at the beginning of the month. My 90-year-old father had his hip replaced a week ago. He spent one night at the hospital and they sent him home to the health center at the retirement community where he and my mother live. He was up and walking within 1½ days and this afternoon he moved home to their apartment in the "independent living" part of the community. Ah, the wonders of modern medicine!

I'll be staying here with them until the end of the week.
    /Penny, currently not anywhere near the t07190.gif
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,317 Member
    Yvonne - french green lentils are my favorite! I order bags of them from Vitacost. I looked up the recipe for Madhur Jaffrey's Green lentils with garlic and onion. Can't wait to make it. It's much like the "Progresso" Lentil Soup I make except no cumin and sub chopped tomatoes for some of the water. I love them because they don't turn to mush like the brown and pink lentils, especially in some of these specialized recipes.

Regarding intermittent fasting, I think Mary (and maybe Rye) would have their "feed" times from noon or 2 pm until 8 or something similar. Getting used to saying "NO!" to hunger pangs was the hardest part when I first started out. I drink lots of coffee or other non-caloric (tea, water) beverages. A bit of milk (no sugar) in coffee seems to be OK.

Heather
    - I saw those beach huts or similar in the "Broadchurch" series. I'm not sure where that was filmed - I want to rewatch it. David Tennant is an unusual actor in that series = I'm not sure I like him but can't stop watching him, lol. Glad you are well on your way making your new place your home!

Janetr and SuebDew - sending good thoughts for your eye situations! Grateful modern medicine is helping delay some problems, I know several gals my age already on drops for glaucoma.

Barbie
    - our house is also now off limits to overnight guests due to the lack of beds. The best visitors we ever had was DH's cousin and wife from the east coast several years ago when the guest room was available. They were marathon runners like Pip & Kirby, came out to run in a Portland OR marathon then wanted to do some sight seeing. They used our place as "home base" and did their own thing. I wasn't expected to prepare any meals - I did the first night, and the rest of the time they were on their own for breakfast and lunch. We'd meet up for dinner at a restaurant. Sorry to see them go! Otherwise, we've had "distant" relatives and friends (whom we haven't seen in decades) wanting to come out to see the Pacific Northwest. We reply it would be great to visit with them for a few hours, we aren't set up for overnight guests and here's a list of motels. Funny, we don't hear back!

Penny - glad to hear your dad's hip replacement went so well! You come from tough stock!

Katla - we've had several killing frosts and temps in the mid 20's last week. Yep, sometimes it's better for me to just give in when DH thinks it's time to do things at my house. Keeps him happy and gives him something to plan. As long as it's not too spendy I let him know I'm 100% behind it.

I'm partially caught up, lol. Welcome new ladies!

Lanette
    Rainy and blustery SW WA State
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,558 Member
    NYKAREN It's probably time for me to mention again what I do about Christmas goodies at work. I pretend they've been pawed over by someone whose hands are contaminated with Salmonella & E. coli. LOL!!! It works like a charm every time.

Oh, you mean like by my 12 year old boy??? (Gross.)

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,674 Member
    Bought myself a cozy nightgown and robe today...now I'm all tucked in..
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    NYKaren: I’d forgotten all about Dionne Warwick’s “Walk on By.” It is perfect for this situation and season. :smiley:

Penny: I’m delighted to hear that your dad is doing so well after hip replacement surgery. :heart:

Lanette: We live right next to the Columbia River, and it is warmer here than up in the hills behind us. Our elevation is only 25 feet above sea level. I really don’t think there has been a hard frost anywhere in our vicinity, including lower nearby hills. :noway:

We heard from our son and he had no trouble taking the sourdough starter on his flight back to Virginia. Yay!!! . We’ve had this sourdough starter since before he was born, more than 40 years ago. A friend gave it to me, and she got it from an elderly neighbor whose family actually brought it to Oregon on a covered wagon sometime around 1902.

I have a meeting to attend this evening and have already studied my packet and driven past the site that will be discussed. It feels to me like I’m well prepared. I hope that turns out to be true. :embarassed:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,493 Member
    6pack for Kirby

xvujyinni5sj.jpeg
  • prisoner2food
    prisoner2food Posts: 81 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Over Christmas, I'd like to find a beautiful, comfortable, remote place to stay. No people. No dogs. No traffic. No internet.

Even just for a couple days. Somewhere completely peaceful and quiet with a hint of luxury. :)

Machka in Oz

Sounds like a dream vacation to me!

Karen in soggy, flooded BC

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,326 Member
    Did Patrick Godeau’s Hard Work Conditioning DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Cardio Strength Peak Fit Challenge DVD.

Katie – I’ve given up the Hospitality for Newcomers. I’m actually counting down the number of times I need to attend meetings. The reason I’m staying with membership is because I do like Adra (sometimes she can be a bit of a control freak, but I think this can be worked around, it has in the past) and I know that Adra doesn’t know a whole lot and I do feel that since I’ve been doing this for a few years, I have background knowledge that could and most likely would be helpful. If I can get her to agree with the website and get it where it makes sense, I plan to bow out of membership. But someone taking over when it’s such a mess right now would only mess things up more. I remember when Vince’s bowels were impacted. It IS painful.

Cari – we lived in the Poconos so I know to always keep some bread in the freezer, some dried milk in the pantry, and if I go a few days without an egg, oh well. But I swear people down here never heard of their freezer for bread. We did bring our generator down here with us, but fortunately we’ve never had to use it. Honestly, we were thinking that since there’s more ice rather than snow down here, more power lines will be down. But most of the power lines are buried (that’s good). Garbage wasn’t picked up. I don’t understand, most streets are cleared. Admitted the driveways probably aren’t but the roads are. Oh well…. We won’t get our newspaper until later, I’m sure. You had a Loki! That’s the name of one of our cats!!!!

Lisa – you sound so very happy with the new job. I’m very very happy for you

Beth – we’ve cut back on how much we’re giving this year, too. I suspect Denise is going to be disappointed because she’s so very materialistic.

Now Denise tells us that she took the dog to one place to be boarded, they evaluated him and he failed because they said he was aggressive to some of their workers. Denise keeps telling us how wonderful the dog is! Another place said that she needed the kennel cough shot two weeks prior to him coming (that’s understandable). She tried a place down here but she said they don’t take dogs on a Sunday (well, this IS the biblebelt). Vince sent her a list and the numbers of places that board a dog near her. Now will she call them? She said that Pete would stay home with the dog and she’d come. Right….Denise doesn’t want to drive. She’s on the phone with Vince right now. I know that I can’t talk to her on the phone right now because I’d get too emotional. I REALLY wish they’d have to relocate. More so that they’d have their own lives and have to work things out.

Jess wants me to send her lots of pics of Shadow. She’s stressed about her exams and seeing pics of her cat calms her. I can understand this.

Well, now Denise supposedly found a place and is going to take the dog there Thursday. Vince told her “I hope you’re not putting all your eggs in one basket”. Why does she give us such a hard time every year? I love Christmas Eve, but I’ll give it up this year because Jess has been here every year, and I can understand Colby wanting to see his family. I understand that Pete is working. So I’m willing to have Christmas early. Yes, it is going to hurt not to have anyone else here for Christmas Eve, but I’ll manage knowing that they were here the week before. But now all because of a stupid d*** dog. When she first moved there, she should have found a place for him knowing that I’d like her to come down at least for Christmas. Now watch…when the baby is born there will be every excuse in the book for her not to come down here. I’m not even going to see her for 48 hours! I stressed ate and had about ½ a piece of apple pie

Welcome everyone new!

Did Christmas shopping. Went to the bank and got money to give Jess, some for myself and Vince, then to CVS but I think I’ll wind up taking the candy back, then WalMart to do food shopping for the holiday, bought gas, then Aldi for more shopping for the holiday, then Target to get a gift card for Colby, then Ollies to get soap (their prices aren’t that fantastic), then home. After having something to eat, went to the Verizon store because my phone was acting up, they re-enabled some apps that I’d accidentally disabled. Then Ruby Tuesday for gift cards for Ken and Lynette. Then we went to another WalMart since they had a light bulb that Vince wanted.

Well, I stress ate that apple pie and now my stomach hurts.

Pip – Love that ornament

Michele in NC
  • Almagreatness
    Almagreatness Posts: 35 Member
    Add me on I'm New me. Just got started and am 57, trying to stay young in attitude and physical👌we can do this together! I believe in miracle. I want to loose 25lbs in 90 days this Winter challenge. Am a grandma and work from home! So got to get out and work out! I walk, water aerobics and home aerobics.
    What are you guys doing to for weight management?! Thanks for the community!

Blessings,
    New Me💃
  • Almagreatness
    Love the Advent chart Pip! I'm going to have a go at that and also send it to my DDIL. :D

Did some more boxes today and found a whole lot of coats. I took two nice ones I never wear to the charity shop before I weakened. :laugh: I also found the packaged towelling slippers for guests. :D We filled another box and a half with books for charity. Slowly, slowly.
    This morning I did my roots, so I'm a natural blonde again. B)
    Went out this afternoon to the charity shop and also the small supermarket. Found my favourite AF beer. Hooray! :drinker: I used to have to order it in bulk, but now I can buy it bit by bit. I really love it. I also love the name - Nanny State. :bigsmile:
    I am stocking up on the homemade falafels from round the corner - vegan and gluten free. :D A good standby for lunches with hummus. They freeze well.
    I also love a particular make of cottage cheese that they sell in the health food shop. So much more flavour than the usual. I'm addicted. My go to snack is half an avocado and some cottage cheese with some peri peri sauce. :o:o

Welcome new people! :flowerforyou: Stick with us and you will be hugely helped. I lost 57 lbs on this thread. I have kept it off and recently lost another couple. My secret is lots of activity. Trying to exist on 1200 calories is miserable. I eat 1800 calories a day and enjoy every bite. Take every opportunity to be active.

Much love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx

I love avocado and hummus too👌
  • Almagreatness
    I was awake for two hours in the night, partly because of company coming and partly because I don't like being out of sorts with DH . I migrated up to the top floor and read for a while and slept in the bed I'd made up for my son. Sssshhh, don't tell him. :D
    Came back with a cup of tea in the morning and DH hadn't slept either! He then apologised for being grumpy and irritable yesterday. <3<3<3<3<3 He blamed it on feeling sad about people who he had to cross off his Christmas card list because they had died , but he admitted he had started the day in a bad mood. I think he gets tense about people "invading his space" when we have visitors, especially men. He is largely unconscious of this, but didn't disagree when I suggested it. He also doesn't like his routines messed up.
    Anyway, we are best friends again. :D<3:D<3

Okie - I listened to you and decided to do my run first thing today. It was a BEAUTIFUL morning, with frost on the cars. Calm sea, blue sky, lots of joggers. B) I had to wear my sunglasses the light was so bright. Then I came back and did 30 mins rowing machine and my yoga type exercises to stretch. Then I did my weights. I'm calculating over 700 calories, but I will only log my usual 600.

More tidying and box emptying today. DH will help me move furniture and is taking my cards to the post office. <3 He will, then buy some more delicious chocolate ice cream. We were going out for pizza on Friday night with our guests, but when I rang them, I found they only take bookings for 6 or more people. I'm not going to risk not getting a table on a Friday night. Sooooooooooooo, I'm going to do a meze type meal, which is easier as we have a veggie guest. I have masses of food, but need to get a meaty item to add.

My son is arriving tomorrow at Hove train station. I'm cooking chicken, lentil and spinach curry for him that evening. We're going to pick up the kids from school on Thursday and I will get fish and chips for the adults that evening. All should be fine.

Love from Heather, feeling a lot less stressed in Hove. UK XXXXXXXX

PS - Janetr - So sorry to hear of your eye troubles. You are being very stalwart. Hugs. <3

Hello am New Me, and I love chicken curry too my husband's favorite. I've been good eating less rice.
    All the best to your goals.
    Glad can be a part of this 50's group! Fun!
  • Almagreatness
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Good morning ladies!

I got on the scale this morning and it was not good. I am sampling way too many Christmas treats so back at it today.

I love Christmas and have gotten carried away in years past. This year, however, I'm trying to keep things simple. Just the important decorations are out. I'll send cards but my list has been pared down. I'm baking (see above), but they're mostly my sons' favorites and they would be disappointed if I didn't.. My husband and I have definitely cut back on how much we're gifting this year.

Younger son is finishing up his finals and flies home Thursday morning for a winter break. He's changing direction again with his career journey ... still in contemporary music but backing away from performance and focusing on writing/production. I think he's selling himself short. I'll say my piece when an opportune time arises and then leave it at that. (Remind me that I said that.) It's his life and his changing directions would be seen as being prudent by many. I'm more of a "shoot for the stars and settle for the moon if you must" kind of person. My son, I think, is backing down from the challenge out of fear. He's a junior (finishing up his 5th semester) so it could change again and again. His dad and I have made significant financial decisions so that he can attend his pricey school and our only requirement from him is that he graduate with a degree. He's holding up his end so far. I'll hold up mine. And leave the rest to God. (Remind me I said that too.)

Gotta run ... planning a large annual Christmas breakfast for our church volunteers on Friday morning and have shopping and decorating to do!

Have a great day!
    Beth near Buffalo

Don't feel bad. This week not happy , I developed a bad blister from walking without socks! I couldn't find any , and keep putting it off lol, I thought I just got something on my shoe, and come to find out I started a blister. I'll be alright. But now I can't walk to exercise at the gym or go on water aerobics!

Glad I found some company here to share. I learn my lesson. Take walking more professionally:)😂

Blessings everyone!