WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    thanks Michelle I think you've convinced me to buy a loom kit, I saw some really beautiful purple yarn, extra bulky, to make Rachel a hat for Chistmas.

NYKAREN
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Karen in BC: It is pretty wet here, but no actual flooding. Where is it flooding in BC? I found some articles about flooding at the Fraser River. Is Vancouver Island also experiencing flooding? I hope for the best for everyone in BC. :flowerforyou:

New Me: Welcome!

Kathy in KY: DH was diagnosed with gluten intolerance a few months ago and we have had a step learning curve. The good news is that there are a lot of options, and many things we’ve enjoyed forever have gluten free alternatives. Noodles are one of those gluten free alternatives. They are readily available in our local grocery stores and come in all the pasta shapes we enjoyed regular wheat flour noodles. Bob’s Red Mill has many wonderful gluten free flours available, and they can be substituted for regular flour just fine. There are gluten free breads on the shelf in the grocery stores here, too. I don’t prefer them, so I buy regular bread for me, and gluten free bread for DH. Eating out is easiest at Chinese restaurants in our area, but gluten free Chinese noodles are not available in the restaurants here. We’ve been in one so far that has rice noodles available. They were great! :star:

Heather: I hope you have a grand time with your son. :heart:

NYKaren: I’ve knitted hats in the past and crocheted a couple of them recently, but I have no experience with a round loom. Barbie is also a knitter. Perhaps she has experience to share. :star:

Margaret: Congratulations on your son’s new home closing! It is time for a new chapter in his life and I hope he loves it. :star:

Carol in GA: I love it that your little dog walks with you in the house. A good dog is such a blessing. Mine is sleeping behind my chair right now. :heart:

It turned out that I was well prepared for the city Planning Commission meeting last night, and I felt good about how things went. Yay!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

christmas-tree-gifts.gif

• prisoner2food
    prisoner2food Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Well I've been awake since 2 am and will try and go back to sleep..my mind is racing on all I have to do today before work.

This is the story of my life. I am a terrible sleeper when I have have lots to do!
    Staying on track is paying off for me as I have lost 13 pounds since I started in early Nov. I just need a plan for all the Christmas goodies to avoid!
    Keeping on

Karen in BC
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    Have been reading and catching up but find it very hard to comment on my phone.

I love having houseguests and am very unhappy with out current home not having a spare room. I will be doing some rearranging in the spring to make room for guests coming from NB for my daughter’s wedding. My husband doesn’t sleep well and gets up very early in the morning so having people in the living room won’t work well, unless it’s his Mother who also prowls at night.

Having an issue with the Service Canada website trying to apply for my EI. Hopefully it resolves today.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    Add me on I'm New me. Just got started and am 57, trying to stay young in attitude and physical👌we can do this together! I believe in miracle. I want to loose 25lbs in 90 days this Winter challenge. Am a grandma and work from home! So got to get out and work out! I walk, water aerobics and home aerobics.
    What are you guys doing to for weight management?! Thanks for the community!

Blessings,
    New Me💃

:) You'll find lots of good ideas for eating and exercise. I keep my food very simple and very repetitive so I don't have to think about food all the time. I seek every opportunity to be active. My primary exercise activities are walking with my dogs or my friends, line dance classes, and riding my exercise bike while watching TV.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,691 Member
    Options
    Gloria's dog needs to be rehomed immediately..I can't remember where she lived bit if anyone is interested .. contact her daughter...
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    She lived in Tacoma, Washington. :'(
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Well got the shock of a lifetime when I got to work..seems our boss is selling a few of the dental practices and moving to Houston...and we are one of the offices...we are promised that everyone jobs are safe...will be praying hard....

Dang, Allie, nothing like a little uncertainty to start off the new year!

Thinking about you, kiddo.

Love,
    Lisa
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    52tw3vvu7ee2.jpg

💗Rebecca
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    The day with my son went well. I am very, very tired. He seemed delighted with his room and bathroom on the top floor. He had a long bath before dinner. :D
    It's nice that he needs "alone" time. Gives us a chance to recharge too. We are going to exercise tomorrow morning as usual and he is going to cook himself eggs and bacon for breakfast.
    The book charity man is coming at 10 to take five boxes of books away that are clogging up the hall. :D
    We are all going over to his brother's in the afternoon, picking up Max and Edie from school on the way.

Much love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • daphnekoonce
    daphnekoonce Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Working 3/12 hour shifts at night is a challenge for me and weight loss goals. I eat before I go to sleep in the morning, never get enough sleep, many excuses not to exercise this I have gained back 10 pounds over a year.
    Goals this month, log daily, increase protein. Minimize eating before I go to bed. Sleep aid to get a deeper sleep so I have more energy. Log miles daily and increase daily.
  • prisoner2food
    prisoner2food Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Well got the shock of a lifetime when I got to work..seems our boss is selling a few of the dental practices and moving to Houston...and we are one of the offices...we are promised that everyone jobs are safe...will be praying hard....

Wow. Not the best time of year for a shock like that! Hope it all works out.
    I live in the lower mainland of BC where there is another very wet storm moving in today with rainfall warnings. That will be a nice change. Not.
    My win for the day was going to grandparents day at the kids school and not eating all the goodies as well as spending 2 hrs in Walmart and not buying chocolate on the way out. I ate some cherry tomatoes when I got home as a treat.
    Making my newest grandsons a quilt each for christmas. Got the fabric all prepped and now cannot find my pattern. Grrrr. A brain injury 8 yrs ago left me with very poor short term memory and stuff like this happens all the time.
    I have a pair of diamond earrings hidden in a safe place in my room.... somewhere.... my kids tease me that I can hide my own Easter eggs...

Karen in BC
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Today is National Ding-A-Ling Day!

"Ding-a-Lings on this day call the people they haven’t heard from in a while. It may be an old classmate, co-worker or neighbor from years ago. Or perhaps a call will go out to the child who used to mow the grass during the summer. How about that couple who carpooled for soccer. What was their name? There are all sorts of people in our lives who manage to slip out of our lives who would love to hear the ding-a-ling of a call from you or me. Why don’t you join the Ding-a-ling club and call someone this year?"

Penny - Wow, up and walking so soon at 90 years old?! That's amazing!

Kathy - Yay for being done with shopping! I kind of enjoy the gift wrapping.

Evelyn - I wasn't familiar with Boney M but I love Christmas albums so I'm having fun listening to audio clips on Amazon!

Heather - It's amazing what having a pet to take care of can do. I'm happy for your son and his greyhounds.

Allie - Yikes, that's not the kind of surprise anybody wants so close to Christmas! Glad to hear your jobs are safe.

We made a big pot of African peanut soup for dinner last night and there's loads left over, so I think I'll leave Philip to heat some up when he gets hungry. The best thing about soup is that it will usually feed you for several days! I've been wanting green chile stew lately so I'll pick up the ingredients for that next time at the grocery story. As long as the weather stays cool I'm happy to have soup every night of the week.

Time for me to be a ding-a-long and call somebody.

Happy Wednesday!

-Yvonne in TX
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,691 Member
    Options
    Well this has been a hell of a year and this just compounds the situation..wow when it rains it pours...Have to put faith in the good Lord..
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Allie: I hope that your boss is able to keep his word. It seems likely that a new dentist will need staff. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. :heart: Gloria lived in Lacey, WA, near where my son and DDIL used to live. I recognized the location of her accident when I saw the pictures in the news. I hope someone will be able to take the dog. I never knew where the daughter lived. :heart:

Heather: Your son’s teen-aged photo shows a bright mind and a good-looking young man. His grown-up photo is very nice, too. :flowerforyou:

Pip: I love your dog photos! Keep ‘em coming. :smiley:

I went shopping for a Christmas Tree topper, such as a star or angel. I found nothing that would suit my little trees. The artificial trees are all equipped with toppers that I acquired long ago. The smaller live tree needed something festive. What I finally found was a pencil with Santa’s head on the top end. I’ve tucked it in, and it looks okay.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon