WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Mary so sorry to hear about your mum and brother in law, sending condolences to you.

Heather sorry to hear about your dear friend, sending condolences to you too. The pictures of you on the beach are lovely. This is one of my dreams, to "retire" to the sea side, I'd love to be able to walk our dog on the beach at any time but especially at Christmas. May be one day (before I get too old to enjoy it)

Our grandson visited us on Sunday and stayed over until Christmas Eve afternoon, so we opened our presents on Christmas Eve morning. We had a lovely Christmas Dinner together and had a good day before he had to go back home. We didn't think we were going to see him yesterday (Christmas Day) but he did pop over for a few hours in the later afternoon.

Mum and dad had a quiet day, I went over in the morning and stayed a few hours, but dad was asleep for most of the time. He did get up in the afternoon for a few hours though which is good. I'll be going around again soon to take his morning paper and see if mum needs help with anything. The only problem she has is with his medication, dad doesn't like taking tablets and he has quite a lot to take, he does seem to take them better when I give him them, he moans a lot but I jolly him along and he takes them. He tends to get a bit stroppy with my mum and then she gets upset.

I've been overdosing on all the Christmas movies I love them, I watched 'It's a wonderful life' again and wanted to watch 'Mary Poppins' but it clashed with walking the dog! ;) but I've watched so many of them, we have a Christmas 24 channel and a True Christmas channel that I have been flitting between :)

Best get on, Happy Boxing Day!

Viv UK <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,341 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    Brighton has a tradition of Christmas Day swimming and it used to be on the news every year. But I was not expecting it to be up our quiet end of the prom at Hove. B):D I so enjoyed it, partly because I wasn't expecting it, and, if the weather is good, hope to join in the fun next year. I kept wondering who was cooking the Christmas lunch!!!! If we host Christmas next year I will have to plan it carefully. Difficult with young children in the mix! Of course, it may be pouring with rain and blowing a gale. Yesterday the weather was unseasonably lovely.

My Portsmouth friend is coming to visit for lunch on Friday. I think I might book a very well thought of vegan restaurant in town. She can park here and we can catch the bus in. We both have free passes. I would cater, but she likes to eat out.

I am resolved to get back to the second volume of my memoir, which I haven't touched since we moved. I'm really missing it.

Going to run after lunch.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

Pip - love the Airstream ornament. :D

• AtlantaJJ
    AtlantaJJ Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi ! Happy Boxing Day.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,149 Member
    Options
    Boxing Day ... 12 minutes on a rowing machine + weights and walking.
  • KarenUK56
    KarenUK56 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    wizzywig wrote: »
    Mary so sorry to hear about your mum and brother in law, sending condolences to you.

Heather sorry to hear about your dear friend, sending condolences to you too. The pictures of you on the beach are lovely. This is one of my dreams, to "retire" to the sea side, I'd love to be able to walk our dog on the beach at any time but especially at Christmas. May be one day (before I get too old to enjoy it)

Our grandson visited us on Sunday and stayed over until Christmas Eve afternoon, so we opened our presents on Christmas Eve morning. We had a lovely Christmas Dinner together and had a good day before he had to go back home. We didn't think we were going to see him yesterday (Christmas Day) but he did pop over for a few hours in the later afternoon.

Mum and dad had a quiet day, I went over in the morning and stayed a few hours, but dad was asleep for most of the time. He did get up in the afternoon for a few hours though which is good. I'll be going around again soon to take his morning paper and see if mum needs help with anything. The only problem she has is with his medication, dad doesn't like taking tablets and he has quite a lot to take, he does seem to take them better when I give him them, he moans a lot but I jolly him along and he takes them. He tends to get a bit stroppy with my mum and then she gets upset.

I've been overdosing on all the Christmas movies I love them, I watched 'It's a wonderful life' again and wanted to watch 'Mary Poppins' but it clashed with walking the dog! ;) but I've watched so many of them, we have a Christmas 24 channel and a True Christmas channel that I have been flitting between :)

Best get on, Happy Boxing Day!

Viv UK <3

'It's a Wonderful Life' is my absolute favourite film of all time, I just love Jimmy Stewart.

Happy Boxing Day!

Karen UK
    Xx
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    <3
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    Morning, we had a quiet visit with DH’s mother on Christmas. She seemed a little less worried since talking with DH about financial issues. We are looking for a lawyer who specializes in elder law to put some safety nets in place-she already has a will.

Today Rachel and I will drive to Philadelphia. My dear sister in law’s mom is in hospice and near the end. I’m told she’s still alert and welcoming company so off we go. Her only grandchild is still abroad in school, I’m hoping a visit from Rachel won’t make her miss her own too much. I’m bringing photos of the girls when they were little and when Lillian brought them to their first nutcracker and spoiled them with chocolates!

Gonna squeeze in a bit of time at the gym before we go. Otherwise the day will be quite sedentary with a round trip of 6 hours in the car—packing smart snacks too.

NYKAREN

I hope your sister-in-law's mom takes comfort from seeing Rachel and the photos. I bet she will. So good of the two of you to make the round trip to Philadelphia.

Karen in Virginia

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,414 Member
    Options
    Happy Boxing Day!

Viv - I love seeing photos of your Leah. Oh, that gleam in her eye, and look at how she's with her toys in a heap, lol. Did she pile them up like that? Glad you were able to spend a few hours with your parents and get your dad to take his tablets. Sure reminds me of dealing with my own parents when they were older.

Barbie
    - glad you were able to nap and kudo's to Jake for fetching lunch! DH and I hope to escape catching the major crud. Sounds like you had a good, peaceful Christmas Day.

Pip - always love seeing your pups in their Christmas finery, they are good sports! How long does it take you to put all those ornaments on the tree - looks like you have a ritual of adding one or two each day? So neat having special, meaningful ornaments like that! And glad to hear things are "going well" for Kirby!!

Mary
    - add me to list of gals sending sympathy for your mom's passing and your BIL's accident. Was he the farmer your DH helps? My own dad barely escaped serious injury while working on cars and machinery just like that. Yes, I watched "The Christmas Chronicles" - very cute! Kurt Russell is aging well. <3 I'm going to have to tell George Clooney he's been replaced, lol.

Karen in NY - good luck finding an elder attorney for your MIL. Hopefully it will give you and your DH some peace of mind in dealing with her finances and strategy for her. My sis and I did the same when we discovered our dad was quickly spending down his cash. Sorry to hear about your SIL, I'll bet she'll enjoy seeing Rachel and hearing about her adventures in S Africa. Have a safe drive to Philly & back.

Machka - your Christmas day with your DH sounds just about perfect to me.

Barbara AHMOD - I had to smile at your description of your Joe brightening up this Christmas and being un-Grinch-like. So happy he did some Christmas shopping!! My DH was grouchy and always stresses over "what to get me" so I take care of it. He has had an upset stomach the past week, refuses to eat more fiber and I wish I could get more down him. He needs more protein as well! I'll make a batch of three bean salad today. Not too fond of all the sugar but healthy doses of fiber and protein right there. And will be making ME my "Progresso" lentil soup! We're having unstuffed cabbage roll casserole for supper. If that doesn't get his system moving, nothing will. B)

Anyhow, DH hogged the TV yesterday with the endless Joe Kenda marathon - I find them interesting sometimes, but an all-day ration of dead bodies lying in pools of blood was pushing it. So about mid-afternoon I told him that next year I was going to find a way to listen to Christmas music in the house. AND, here it was Christmas Day and all we've watched was gruesome stuff. Was there any chance we could watch "A Christmas Story"???? He switched the channel and we both enjoyed it, of course. He's this way every Christmas. The more I talk to gals my age, he's NOT unique, lol.

I got busy yesterday and cleaned out part of the pantry adjacent to the laundry room and will pick up a mop/broom holder to attach on the wall next time I'm in town to get organized. When we had our old washer, there was room to line things up between the washer & laundry sink. With the new washer placement, that has changed. Found out from the appliance delivery guy that our old washer not only had faulty electronics, the reason it was making such a racket was a bearing was going out.

Still catching up, so back later.

Lanette
    Chilly & Damp SW WA State

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Wednesday! Happy Boxing Day! Had a very quiet Christmas. The mongolian chicken and rice dinner was a success. I served the chicken and rice and broccoli in pineapple halves (my boys like it that way), then there was also egg drop soup and chilled pineapple. We all sat down and watched Elf (one of the kids top three movies). We all opened our stockings/gifts. AFter the present opening we watched the final episode of the Holiday Gingerbread showdown. WE had some good laughs as we compared the masterpieces on the program to our funky, little cottage that we made on Christmas Eve. Nicolette commented that she is already making mental plans for next year's gingerbread creation. I really hope she is here. She is a sweetheart and SO good for our introverted, pessimistic oldest son!
    Mary AZ- So SO sorry to hear about your mom and bil! Sending you much love and prayers and thoughts of strength and peace for you and your/their family. <3
    Heather- Christmas on the beach! It looked like a beautiful day! The sun was out! I think Michigan is like the your area in the fact that most of the winter we are grey and cloudy. Those sunny winter days are a treasure in themselves! Is your beach pebbly? It has only been recently that I have come to realize that not all beaches are sandy like mine. lol

Well, my ham is in the oven and potatoes, soup, and veg are on the stove. We will be making the trip to my inlaws around noon. The frozen ham ended up being a "blessing?" because there was a steady stream of visitors to see Tim's folks yesterday. We will probably be their only visitors today AND we are bringing them lunch and leftovers (no extra work for them). I am going to pack my gallons of paint, that I will be working with this week, in the car, and we will stop at the Home Depot on the way home and have them shaken for us. Tomorrow I really have to knuckle down and get busy. It makes me feel just a bit lazy and extravagant to still have another seven days before I have to work. I tend to get the mind set that I DESERVE to just do nothing for my vacation. But then I remember that my intention to start the new year off going full force with the daycare, will leave me with no time to work on the little projects that I want to get done.

Love and hugs to all! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Lanette I had to laugh at your description of your DH and the "non-Christmasy" shows. I have been binge watching old House episodes and am in the last season. It dawned on me in the last week that I wasn't feeling the Christmas spirit (which isn't normal for me) and I was fretting to my son about it. He said, "You should be watching your Christmas movies instead of House at night"! lol So...House has been on hiatus in my house for the past few days. I LOVE A Christmas Story and I will laugh hysterically at the same scenes/lines every year. Especially the soap scene. As a child, I was quite the soap connoiseur.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,684 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Thanks ladies <3 My Mom passed on December 6th the same day Heather's dear friend did. I'm sorry for your loss as well as others that have lost loved ones since I was here in October. My Mom was 90 years old. She was a lot of fun and was always laughing. She had dementia for the last three years and was ready to see the big man upstairs as she put it. She said she talked to her Mom and brothers and they were waiting for her. Kind of reminded me of my Mom when I read Kelly's story. Made me cry too. Her Celebration of life was Dec. 23rd. My DBIL died on my husband's birthday 10 days after my Mom. He was only 58 yo. He was working on his truck in the garage and the jack slipped. The EMT said he felt no pain because he died instantly. His memorial service was last Friday. I didn't get to go to either service but was told there was a lot of tears and laughter.

We will be heading up to MN in a few weeks to deal with that special assessment that some of you helped me edit the letter disputing it the end of September. If you remember they hit us with a $21,000.00 bill for the sewer. We think they are really concerned because they never followed the statute and because of that the whole city could and should be angry at how much they were charged. So do we protect only our interest or let everyone know they were over charged...I see a crowded city hall in their future. We'll visit family when we are there.

We watched Instant family on recliners at the theater. Love those chairs! Today after Christmas Supper at the club house we came home and watched Christmas movies. Anyone watch Christmas Chronicles? I Love the ending.

Time to go to bed! Have a restful night.

<3

Mary from Arizona

So sorry to hear, my heart is with you
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    :)Lanette, we have two televisions and headphones to go with each one so there can be two totally different programs going at the same time. Additionally we each have headphones for our phones so we can listen to things on them without disturbing each other. It's a great solution to the two of us often having divergent interests of what to watch or listen to.

:)Kelly, We just discovered a station on our cable system that has"House" and we've been watching that. I didn't watch when it was on prime time and have really enjoyed it. Yesterday they showed episodes from each season at Christmas including one where he rigs the Secret Santa so a lot of people get his name.

:| Still not totally well, but I walked the dogs for 30 minutes before breakfast and will take them out again in a few minutes, then go back to bed.

<3 Barbie
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,414 Member
    Options
    Bonnie - look at your little fur babies! You are a schnauzer lover too. We have a old schnoodle and a young mini schnauzer who we call "the puppy" but she'll be 2 on April 1st. Fitting. When we had a ficus tree many years ago, we'd put lights on it and call it good.

Barbie
    - I often watch "my shows" on the tablet, with earphones, while DH watches what he wants on the "big TV", lol. If I could have found "A Christmas Story" on Amazon Prime, Netflix, or Hulu, I would have left him to Joe Kenda, but it wasn't available. Glad you are feeling well enough to walk the dogs.

Kelly and Barbie - I think reruns of House would have been good! I remember last Christmas, we got caught up on all the "Fixer Upper" shows. And I kept commenting on nice upgrades we should do to our house, lol. So DH probably decided (perhaps subconsciously) to fill the day this year with tracking down violent murderers. :# At least we got to see Ralphie nearly shoot his eye out! :D

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • pipcd34
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Lanette I had to laugh at your description of your DH and the "non-Christmasy" shows. I have been binge watching old House episodes and am in the last season. It dawned on me in the last week that I wasn't feeling the Christmas spirit (which isn't normal for me) and I was fretting to my son about it. He said, "You should be watching your Christmas movies instead of House at night"! lol So...House has been on hiatus in my house for the past few days. I LOVE A Christmas Story and I will laugh hysterically at the same scenes/lines every year. Especially the soap scene. As a child, I was quite the soap connoiseur.

wish my mom did the soap thing. she did the belt and wire hanger thing. ahhh fond memories... NOT
  • pipcd34
    edited December 2018
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Happy Boxing Day!

Pip - always love seeing your pups in their Christmas finery, they are good sports! How long does it take you to put all those ornaments on the tree - looks like you have a ritual of adding one or two each day? So neat having special, meaningful ornaments like that! And glad to hear things are "going well" for Kirby!!

I got busy yesterday and cleaned out part of the pantry adjacent to the laundry room and will pick up a mop/broom holder to attach on the wall next time I'm in town to get organized. When we had our old washer, there was room to line things up between the washer & laundry sink. With the new washer placement, that has changed. Found out from the appliance delivery guy that our old washer not only had faulty electronics, the reason it was making such a racket was a bearing was going out.

Still catching up, so back later.

Lanette
    Chilly & Damp SW WA State

Doesn't take long to do the hanging ornament thing, never timed it. you got me thinking tho. we hang them all and put up the tree after turkey day. i just take pics of one each day, started that tradition a year or two ago. since ours are so different i thought that would be cool for peeps to c. kirby is doing good, you could say he's back to normal. we did find out it has nothing to do with diet or anything like that. the doc was stumped as to why it happened in the 1st place since he's never had any type of surgery in the stomach area. usually it happens due to scar tissue that has gotten in the way and needs to be removed which can cause the obstruction. so, no clue as to why.

oh got a call from the place at the boob smashing joint. they want me to come in for another smash on the left boob. got an appointment tomorrow. i've had a couple of lumps removed from that boob b4 so maybe it's another one. i'm not worried about it. i was joking with them when they called and i was yelling out to kirby, that if i'm lucky they will chop it off and i can get a boob job with medical paying for it! lolol. we'll c what happens.

i survived another Christmas, i dunno why but this one was particularly rough, i did (or tried) most of my crying away from kirby. he has rotating holidays off and i was really glad he was off yesterday. so much time has passed but i still miss him so so much
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    (((Pip)))