WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,807 Member
    Options
    Good Morning and Merry Christmas to those who celebrate... I had Taliah my DGD open the presents I got her last night and she loved them all I already told you about the book series, but got her a bunch of sketch pads,colored pencils ,colored pens ,markers and paint... she has exceptional talent in drawing and writing stories.. so I encourage her with her art, also bought her 2 pair of riding breeches for her horseback riding lessons.. all in all a great time..
    today low key.... I will check on my DFIL he was not well at all yesterday there is a nasty cold going around the nursing home and because of his asthma the Dr put him on prednisone... here is hoping that gives him some relief, at 91 it gets very precarious when they catch something... and then will go down to my friend Bev's house with Alfie and enjoy a little time with her and her family...
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,094 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas to those who celebrate dear friends!

I just learned that staring at computer screens and cell phone screens for too long might contribute to macular degeneration. I switched my computer to night setting and then to its lowest light. On my computer is a wifi icon. I have Google Chrome. When I hit that icon the choice to turn it to night time setting comes up and I can adjust how much light the computer gives. I rarely use a cell phone so that is not a problem for me.

It makes sense to me that staring at a screen could be a problem because it is like constantly staring into a light bulb. By changing the light setting the only thing I notice is I need an external light to help me read the computer.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,182 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas to those who celebrate dear friends!

I just learned that staring at computer screens and cell phone screens for too long might contribute to macular degeneration. I switched my computer to night setting and then to its lowest light. On my computer is a wifi icon. I have Google Chrome. When I hit that icon the choice to turn it to night time setting comes up and I can adjust how much light the computer gives. I rarely use a cell phone so that is not a problem for me.

It makes sense to me that staring at a screen could be a problem because it is like constantly staring into a light bulb. By changing the light setting the only thing I notice is I need an external light to help me read the computer.

That's one of the reasons I do things like run, walk and cycle. I have to stare at my computer at work and for uni, so I look forward to my time away from the computer.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,182 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Christmas Day

My husband and I had a lovely Christmas Day.
    • Relaxing.
    • Getting a few things done.
    • Walking up a local hill to find and climb an intriguing set of stairs. When we got there, I jogged up and down them a couple times.
    • Cycling 24 km up the Cycleway and back.
    • Cooking Christmas Dinner together. Yes, me too!
    • We had turkey breast, roast potatoes, and veggies. Then pecan pie for dessert.
    • Watching the movie Scrooge, while drinking chocolate mint tea, surrounded by Christmas lights.

Machka in Oz
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas Ladies!!!

Okie (not) in the TX Hill Country
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    sending <3 out to all celebrating or not celebrating. NYKAREN
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    ym5z13hjjqyz.jpg
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Kelly what a wonderful story to share..

Merry Christmas everyone.

Betsy in NW Washington
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Good morning and Merry Christmas to all! Thank you all for the kind words in regards to my story. It is funny how holidays and our perception of things changes from year to year or decade to decade.
    I/we had a wonderful day yesterday. We took Colin to a local mexican restaurant for his birthday. I had a mushroom quesadilla and a shrimp quesadilla and also a beer. I managed to stay away from the chips and salsa (that is a feat of inhuman strength for me). The only way I was able to resist the chips and salsa was the fact that I knew I would be having egg nog later in the evening. AND I HAD EGG NOG! Boy, did I have egg nog. lol Our oldest son, Darren, showed up with his girlfriend, Nicolette, and they brought an undecorated gingerbread house. So...we began a new tradition (we have already decided to do this every year) of decorating a gingerbread house and having egg nog, wine, or whatever while we talk about life and memories. It was a fun night. Lot's of laughing. We shared many "naughty children" stories with Nicolette, so that she would know what she was getting into. Then, the kids shared my BIGGEST bad mommy moment, when I took them for a hike and we stepped on a bees nest and I yelled "BEES! RUN!" and took off and left my kids in the dirt. lol (yeah, I was THAT mom).
    Heather- Thank you for sharing your Christmas music! So sorry to hear about Shirley's passing. She was your childhood friend, with whom you just reconnected with her/her husband, yes?
    Allie- So happy to hear that you enjoyed your Christmas with your DGD! I LOVED those Narnia books as a child. Shoot, I have revisited them often as an adult. A great children's story should also be enjoyable to an adult, IMO.
    Janet- Beautiful ornament!
    PIp-S**t happens! Even at Christmas! AND it can be a good thing! lol Here's to a comfortable Christmas!

Well, I started this post when I woke up at 8. I have been interrupted by Tim needing help with things and then a viber chat from Lauren and Joaquin <3 . They are having a very quiet Christmas day. They spent yesterday at the zoo and going for walks to see lights in the neighborhood. Lauren's husband had to work yesterday. He will have to work today at 6pm. So this morning they are just chilling out and opening the last two of Joaquin's gifts. It seems Joaquin discovered that the shiny, pretty packages under the tree all had something fun in them and has been tearing into them whenever he gets a chance! lol

I had a ham dinner planned for today. Forgot to pull the ham out of the freezer...looks like I will be making mongolian chicken and rice! I don't think any one will mind. It is just going to be the five of us (Tim, Darren, Nicolette, Colin and I). I had a butternut squash soup planned for the ham dinner, but I think I will make an egg drop soup instead. All good. The egg nog is gone, so we will have wine tonight. I only bought two bottles, so I know I won't be over indulging in that! Then, it is back to NA days/nights. The painting of baseboards begins tomorrow.

Love to you all! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Our marathon traveln’ Christmas has been changed due to flu in Philadelphia. So instead I made a quick cheesecake to bring to Brooklyn for Christmas/MIL’s birthday and play dominos into the night. Blessed!!

NYKAREN
  • grandmallie
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Kelly~ I bought myself the series too :)
    went down to see DFIL this morning and he was better not great but better, fed him his breakfast as he didnt eat anything yesterday he scarfed down his whole breakfast and I got him to drink 2 glasses of orange juice... like I said everyone down there fighting nasty colds and everyone is hacking and coughing... got his meds in him fairly easy..
    going to my friends house later
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Mary~ so good to hear from you,but so very sad to hear about mom and DBIL~ my sincerest condolences ~love you honey xoxox
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,094 Member
    Options
    Mary prayers!

We are going to try to go as a family to an oriental restaurant so no one has to cook! Great Christmas present!

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,716 Member
    Options
    hope you had a great Christmas if u r in the other side of the world or have a great Christmas today. gonna go see aqua man. haven't gone to a movie in years.
  • grandmallie
    Options
    I want to see Mary Poppins
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas to all 💝

Kate UK