WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Machka The only time I have had a potato plant was when a composting potato sprouted because I didn't keep things hot & stirred up...so those little flowers, do they produce a fruit of some kind? Can you eat a potato fruit?

Karen in Virginia

Oh NO Karen! Don't ever eat potato fruits! They're poisonous! Same family as deadly nightshade. Somebody wrote a whole detective story where potato fruit was the murder weapon. Dorothy Sayers or Agatha Christie, I forget.

/Penny, on my phone and a bit formatting-challenged
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,983 Member
    Options
    :) I just slept for over two hours and got up with enough energy to do some household chores. I'll take it easy today but I feel much better.

:) My father grew potatoes in his yard and had to compete with the gophers when they were ready to harvest.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Penny OK, then! No potato fruits for me!

Heather I enjoyed the BBC podcast so much. Made me teary. Then I read Kelly's story, and I blubbered. And I haven't even had a glass of anything yet, much less given my daughter-in-law a hug since her father died. Oh, this is going to be a wet Christmas.

Barbie Glad you feel better!

Pip Glad Kirby is pooping!

Karen in Virginia
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    I just sat down and wanted to catch up with you all ...

Kelly ... you have me in tears ... I believe wholeheartedly in signs from God, as you well know ... Happy Birthday to your son!

Getting ready to start my Christmas Eve dinner, which we'll have early, and then to an early church service. Home by 8:30 or so for one gift and some time sitting together.

It has been snowing all day here, so we have a white Christmas!

Wishing all of you a Merry Christmas! Thankful for each and every one of you!
    Beth near Buffalo
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Big hugs to you Kelly! I didn't mean to break the spell of your wonderful poignant story. <3:'(<3:) Just I'm on my phone and a bit handicapped.
    /Penny again ;)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka: Thank you for the Christmas greeting—and the reality that you are having a lovely summer day. :wink:

Pip: Crossing my fingers that Kirby is able to tolerate semi-solid and solid food. :star::heart: Congratulations on your Christmas gift from heaven. If Kirby pooped, he is getting better. YAY!!! :bigsmile:

Janet OKC: I agree that this is a special group of ladies. What a great stroke of good luck it was to find this goup. :bigsmile:

Viv: I’m glad to hear that your Dad is home. That is an excellent Christmas present all by itself. :star:

Machka: Gardening is healing, and your DH is wise to spend his time in the garden. Happy Christmas Day! :flowerforyou:

(((Kelly))) What a wonderful blessing you received. Thank you for sharing your Christmas story. :heart:

Meg from Omaha: Your post is a lovely gift. Thank you for checking in. Congratulations on losing 17.1 lbs. WTG!!! :star:

Allie: We have Music Box Christmas, too—somewhere. I’ll look for it today. :star:

Rori: :heart: :heat: :heart:

Barbie: I’m gald you’re feeling better. :star:

I dropped a package off at the post office this morning and ran some errands. DD will be getting a Christmas tree topper. It is a Teddy Bear Angel, that I made for her in the mid 1970’s. I also made one for myself, and one for DS. He’s asked me to keep his for now. It won’t fit his wife’s decorating style. I don’t mind a bit. It will be ready when he is ready.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

graphics-christmas-trees-980702.gif

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,716 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

ride hm 2 gym- 8min, 12amph, 133mhr, 1.5mi= 76c
    helix machine- 145mhr, 1.4mi= 167c
    ride dome 2 hm- 5.40min, 15.7amph, 126mhr, 1.4mi= 56c
    ride Puyallup 2 sumner sta- 14.36min, 12.5amph, 142mhr, 3mi= 152c
    run sta 2 wrk- 5.01min, 9.54lmin mi, 149mhr, .5mi= 63c
    run wrk 2 sta- 4.41min, 10.06min mi, .148mhr, 4mi= 63c
    ride sum sta station 2 hm- 1hr, 13min, 51sec, 10.3amph 146mhr, 12.6mi= 632c

total cal 1209

I thought we were going 2b off at 3, I was wrong, that's on New Years eve. today we got off at noon. no train, so I rode home. and we have no idea what caused that with Kirby.
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas Eve!!

Okie
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,094 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Kelly thanks for sharing your story. I just shared some stories with a dear friend. She and I shared stories they do not have a rational explanation. I believe you are right that your mom saw your son before he was born and to be born on Christmas Eve what a wonderful present. Magical.

I believe!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,807 Member
    Options
    Evening Ladies
    I am home and in bed,what a wonderful afternoon..I know my dad and mom were smiling down on there family today..my DD and I did the cooking and got dinner together and everything was just spectacular..Taliah loved the gifts I got her especially the box set of the chronicles of Narnia..she was so excited...there cats name is Aslan after the lion in the books..I told you the story of my mom reading my brother and I the whole series on winter nights in front of the fireplace and I have a feeling tradition will carry on..let me see if I can post a picture..
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,716 Member
    Options
    Christmas Eve’s ornament

rpd131bv321n.jpeg

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,392 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Held my plank for 3 minutes then took the extremepump class. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Total Cardio Burn DVD

Wouldn’t Olivia and Joaquin make such a cute couple? I agree, Kelly, from here on out, it is a mortal sin to hide pictures of grands

Barbie – I am so so sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. Prayers for you to heal quickly, I know that this must be really getting to you. I know it would get to me if (when) I couldn’t do what I usually do.

Pip – fingers crossed. I’m sure Kirby is going to be fine since he’s in such great shape Update: yea for him pooping!!!!!

Desert – welcome! What a beautiful kitty

M – I’m thinking that for New Year’s Eve when I’ve asked Ken and Lynette here (which I think they’ll come to) of making a pavlova. Never made one before

KJ – when I first read your story and got to the part about how your mother asked whose baby that was….well, that sent shivers up my spine.

Merry Christmas everyone! Looks like just Vince and I will be going to midnight Mass tonight

Heather – I’m so sorry about your friend

Having a mini-pity-party here and indulging in 1/2 a chocolate chip cookie.

Got a call from Sam's club. They have the shingrix vaccine in! I never in my life thought they would get enough for us. I was told there were about 100 people on the waiting list ahead of us. Guess we'll go sometime this week and get it.

Michele in NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,182 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    (((Kelly))) What a wonderful blessing you received. Thank you for sharing your Christmas story. :heart:

Yes ... Katla said it beautifully. :):heart: (((Kelly)))

Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: Thank you for the Christmas greeting—and the reality that you are having a lovely summer day. :wink:

Machka: Gardening is healing, and your DH is wise to spend his time in the garden. Happy Christmas Day! :flowerforyou:

lhscapil wrote: »
    Machka - how many boxes of hair color do you need to use? It looks wonderful - amazing to think you have temps equivalent to the mid - 80's here. That Christmas Eve Pavlova looks scrumptious! So happy your DH is out there gardening again - I've heard that gardeners keep their brains active and ward off dementia. Not sure why - maybe the exercise, planning, soil preparation, planting, weeding, harvesting? Plus being out in the sun?

They got my husband into the Rehab garden when he was still in hospital because he expressed an interest in it, and so when he came home, I made sure he got right into gardening here. We're now eating the onions he planted soon after he came home.

Our yard/garden isn't huge but it is complicated with many different areas. It takes a bit of work to keep on top of it, and in recent years it had kind of gotten away from us. Now it looks the best it has in a long time! He even discovered an old irrigation system that is timed. It hadn't been used in who knows how long, but he's got it working again so that it comes on for 20 min in the morning.

It gets him moving, gets him out in the fresh air, gives him something to do that needed to be done ... so there's purpose, and he is using his brain to plan what he's going to do with each of the areas.

Apparently a lot of people with brain injuries suffer quite severely from depression and end up just sitting in front of the TV not doing anything. His psychologists have said he shows no sign of depression, and I wonder if the gardening may have helped in that regard. He's quite enthusiastic about it. :)

It takes 2 boxes of dye. I divide my hair in two, and do the dark under-layer first, then when that's done, I do the lighter upper layer. Sometimes I do blonde streaks too, but this time I decided to leave it as is for now. I might add them later.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Merry Christmas!!

It's a cooler day here in Tassie. That's pretty typical ... a hot day, then several cooler days, then another hot day.

I've had a very relaxing morning and am still in my Christmas PJs. My work's social club gives gift cards to everyone who does not attend the Christmas Dinner ... we've got a choice: attend the Christmas Dinner or get a gift card. I've attended the dinner a couple times but decided it wasn't really worth it, so I get the gift cards now. With my gift card, I bought new super-comfy summer PJs. I had my eye on them for a little while and then thought ... why not!!

My husband and I exchanged cards ... and had a little cry, hugs and kisses. Earlier this year, we didn't know what this Christmas would bring.

We bought pressies earlier ... a new bicycle helmet for me and a 2-pack DVD set for him. They're sitting near the tree with a bow on top of them.

Machka in Oz

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,983 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies, new to the group so Merry Christmas to all! Little bit about me...55 year old (well 55 in April coming) in Ontario, Canada. Looking to get more fit and hopeful to drop about 20 lbs in the process.

:)Welcome, I hope you will come back and join our conversation. You can get lots of encouragement from the great women on this thread.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,182 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    M – I’m thinking that for New Year’s Eve when I’ve asked Ken and Lynette here (which I think they’ll come to) of making a pavlova. Never made one before

Michele in NC

I've never made one from scratch ... I use a pav egg (mix).

zd1pwr8p3pw2.png

M in Oz