WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    We have three TVs and the one in the main living room is for shows that we BOTH want to watch. Anything that the other doesn't like has to be watched in another room. Same with music, radio, (we always ask) or anything that is audible on the tablet etc. I use headphones for that. Well done for speaking up Lanette. Maybe you need to have a frank discussion for the future.

Did my run. :D This morning I did a bit of writing. Not much, but at least I've started again. At the moment it feels like walking through treacle, but I hope to pick up as I get back into the habit.

I am happiest when I get my exercising, running and writing done. They are the anchors to my life.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies for all of your support! My DBIL was my sisters husband. Sad time for my niece and nephew with losing their Grandma and Dad right before Christmas. His side of the family was to have their first ever family reunion the Saturday before Christmas. Instead they had a funeral on Friday and a celebration of life that went on through Saturday. My niece and nephew and their kids were blessed with Christmas gifts from their dad/grandpa. Loss is not as hard when you have faith in ever lasting life.

I'm getting ready for my son and daughter-in-law to fly to Arizona this Friday. We will then drive to Las Vegas for the weekend Saturday. We're not big gamblers but they have a lot going on with fireworks and such. We are going to stay in the old Fremont Avenue area. Now called the Fremont experience! Old town Las Vegas. We're going to bring some antiques and try to get into the Pawn Stars pawnshop. Those of you from the US may have watched this show on the history channel. My son has pictures of him with the Dad from being there before. We have an old army officers Japanese sword from World War II that we are going to bring. Not worth anything but it might get us in the door :)

Happy Boxing Day!!

<3

Mary from Arizona
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Mary ~ So glad to hear from you. What a sad time for your family, but, y'all's faith will see you through. Bringing antiques to the Pawn Stars pawnshop sounds exciting. I am sure we have some that they would be interested in. Have fun with your son and dnl this weekend.

Spent the last hour with Amazon trying to get my grand kids Christmas ping pong/air hockey table replaced. It was broken when it arrived. Amazon will be sending a replacement next week. The thing is so big that it takes two men to handle it. Thank goodness my son is off on Thursdays and will be there when it arrives. Now hoping the replacement will be OK.

We spent Christmas Day with my son's family and all had a pleasant day. He cooked a prime rib roast for the first time and it was a bit dry but very flavorful. It was the first time he had used his smoker and the temperature didn't get hot enough so he had to finish it in the oven.

Thanks for all who have shared their pets and Christmas photos!

Carol in GA

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,341 Member
    Options
    Some of you have expressed interest in my son"s Airsoft Action videos on Utube. The latest one was totally done for me and I get a credit. It is a Christmas special on French ration packs.
    Hope some of you can watch it :D
    My son is Tom.
    Love Heather UK XXXXXX
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,801 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Vicki in GI NE: Prayers for your friend who had a stroke. I hope things will go well for her. :star:

Pip: I love the Airstream Christmas Ornament and showed it to DH. He was impressed, too. :smiley:

Okie: I envy your 16 mile walk with your DH. WTG!!! :star: We’d have needed elaborate rain gear to go walking, and DH would have been on his mobility scooter. He hasn’t been feeling good enough for that lately. Short winter days aren’t the greatest for either of us. Adding the rain-- :noway:

Barbie: What Christmas movie did you watch? I watched Veterinary TV shows, The Incredible Dr. Pol and Dr. Oakley, Yukon Vet. There are also some Zoo shows I like to watch on Animal Planet. DH reads & I wear headphones. He doesn’t like TV. :noway:

Mary from AZ: I’m sorry to hear that your mom passed. It sounds as though she was ready to join the “big man upstairs.” I’m also sorry for the loss of your DBIL 10 days later. That is two big losses for your family very close together, and at the holiday season. .:heart:

Viv: Enjoy the Christmas Channel. Leah is adorable with her stuffed dog toys. :star:

Barbie: I’m glad that you’re well enough to take the dogs out walking, and wise enough not to over-do. Best wishes for a healthy New Year. :bigsmile:

Pip & BonnieHosk85: A few years ago we had what amounts to a Self-pity Party because we were at home alone for Christmas AND we were having work done under our house to abate raccoon damages. The house wasn’t even insulated underneath or heated. The raccoons tore down all of the insulation & furnace ducts under the house. We set up Mom & Dad’s 1960’s aluminum Christmas Tree with a color wheel and put Mom’s blue and gold glass balls on it. Our gas fireplace downstairs and electric fake woodstove upstairs were our only sources of heat for months. We don’t want to repeat a winter like that. We now have very heavy-duty critter proof vent covers. :star: Sometimes a self-pity party is unavoidable and has to be endured and then left behind. I need to remind myself of that this year with our kids so far away and celebrating Christmas with the other grandparents. :heart: :broken_heart::heart:

Heather: Your son is clearly gifted with creativity. I am pretty sure I know where his gift came from. Congratulations! :star:

We’re having a quiet day at home. DH isn’t feeling the best so we’re resting. I will keep the Christmas decorations up until after New Year’s Day. We are having a very mild winter so far, and aren’t too worried about freezing temperatures in our RV. If things change, we’ll empty the water tanks and add a second electric heater inside.

Happy Boxing Day to those who celebrate.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,814 Member
    Options
    <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,793 Member
    Options
    Katla-I would love to watch those animal shows but can't because Alfie goes into hyper bark mode if any of that comes on the t.v. any animal or cartoon he is off like a shot to the end of the bed barking like a maniac....
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Kind of caught up so though I would respond to a few.
    KJ - I also cried when I read your Christmas story. What a miracle baby for your family.
    Mary- so sorry for the loss of your Mom and DBIL. It is always hard whether you are expecting it or not. Take care of you. We lived in Las Vegas and loved the Fremont area. Have a good time.
    We had a great time with my son and his family. Just got home before the bad weather hit. Going to quit for now and rest my eyes.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,516 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Beth meals, yah, that's why we've put off our big beef dinner to Thursday. Too many heavy meals in a row. Glurg.
    pip Trust you and Kirby behaved despite the reclining seats in the theater ;):love: the airstream ornament but best are the pooch pics :heart: :love: :heart:
    Okie
    16 miles? WOW!
    Viv love Leah's mischevious look. Tumble traps her dollies with her paws too.
    Lanette cleaned out pantry... an unexpected benefit of the "all-day ration of dead bodies lying in pools of blood" ;) I'd want for boomboxes and Christmas music CDs at yard sales/thrift stores... that and headphones!!!
    pip sweet guitar tree memory. ((hugs))
    Heather "when I get my exercising, running and writing done" wise words of guidance and inspiration.
    Katla aluminum tree ah what memories, Mama's had a blue spotlight on blue and silver ornaments. Returning from walking the dog, the tree in the fog framed window looked like a glimpse of fairyland.

Welcome AtlantaJJ.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    walk one more step 17/25, 60 g protein 18/25, rx/vits 20/25, meditate 20/25, knee exercises 20/25, SWSY UP 0/8, SWSY LOW 0/8, core 0/8, play with Tumble 10/25, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 15/25.
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Happy Boxing Day!

Today we got in 17 miles. Unfortunately, all 17 were done with me having a half dollar size blister on my foot (as well as small blisters on 3 toes). Hub developed a small blister on his foot while walking on the cobblestones. Both of us are wearing shoes we’ve walked in previously. I just have weird feet :'( Hopefully my feet are good for at least 10 miles tomorrow.

Okie
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,684 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Beth meals, yah, that's why we've put off our big beef dinner to Thursday. Too many heavy meals in a row. Glurg.
    pip Trust you and Kirby behaved despite the reclining seats in the theater ;):love: the airstream ornament but best are the pooch pics :heart: :love: :heart:
    Okie
    16 miles? WOW!
    Viv love Leah's mischevious look. Tumble traps her dollies with her paws too.
    Lanette cleaned out pantry... an unexpected benefit of the "all-day ration of dead bodies lying in pools of blood" ;) I'd want for boomboxes and Christmas music CDs at yard sales/thrift stores... that and headphones!!!
    pip sweet guitar tree memory. ((hugs))
    Heather "when I get my exercising, running and writing done" wise words of guidance and inspiration.
    Katla aluminum tree ah what memories, Mama's had a blue spotlight on blue and silver ornaments. Returning from walking the dog, the tree in the fog framed window looked like a glimpse of fairyland.

Welcome AtlantaJJ.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    walk one more step 17/25, 60 g protein 18/25, rx/vits 20/25, meditate 20/25, knee exercises 20/25, SWSY UP 0/8, SWSY LOW 0/8, core 0/8, play with Tumble 10/25, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 15/25.

had i known about those seats, i would have brought a blanket
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Katla- I have always wanted an aluminum Christmas tree! I thought they were beautiful with the lights reflecting off of the silver so sparkly and shiny! I was just talking to my daughter and mother-in-law in Minnesota and both are preparing for winter storms. This week here in Arizona it's only going to be in the mid to high 50s. Good thing I brought some warm clothes!

SueBDew - thanks! I remember staying at the Golden Nugget about 40 years ago. Glad you got home before the storm hit! It's good time to have a cup of hot chocolate and Watch a movie!

Okie- I must have missed why you are walking so far each day. My husband and I have been hiking 5 1/2 miles 5 times a week I can't imagine walking 17 in one day! Let alone with a blister!!

Barbara- I am also glad that the large dinners are over for a while. Even though I try to limit the food I eat it's still a lot more than what I am used to.

<3 Mary from Arizona
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Mary - First off, so sorry for your double loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hub and I are spending a few days in NYC and we tend to walk everywhere instead of ubering or using the subway. With my bad knees, it is easier for me to walk than go up and down the stairs so we avoid the subway. We were on a bit of a goose chase today looking for a leather store that had a leather jacket hub wanted to get me for Christmas. I knew the sleeves would be too short, but he just new it would work, so we found the store and it fit, except.....the sleeves were too short. Shocker, not. If it isn’t tall sized, the sleeves (or pants) are too short.

Okie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    Hi Group, I'm looking for a 50 and up group of ladies for support. The year 2018 was tough year for me. I've had 3 ablations this year. My vitamin D was at a 4 very very low which My body was in such pain. Hopefully and with great hope to be regaining my health and losing weight.
    I forgot ask is this a closed group? No biggie if it is. Just point me the direction, of an available group.

:) Welcome, You have come to the right place for encouragement and support. Tell us more about yourself. Plan to come back every day and join the conversation. Many of us have lost weight even with health challenges.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    <3Mary, I am so sorry about your losses. Thanks for the picture of Shep. What a beautiful dog.