WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    I am finishing my tea... woke up late as I didn't sleep well last night, have laundry in the dryer..
    DFIL has upper respiratory infection and at 91 very precarious ... they have him on meds and oxygen... and he stayed in bed, but was able to get some food into him, we have found a way to get his meds in him quicker and easier with blended fruit, so that is a God Send...
    yesterday he told me if it wasn't for me he would be dead... and I started crying... oh I don't know what I will do when this poor man goes... I just love him so...
    I am off from work today so I am staying close and will go down and feed him lunch and dinner if he is up to it...
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies. This morning we will go hiking 5.5 miles from a low elevation of 1440 feet up to 1760 up and down...we take Shep with and can let him loose when no one is around. We like to hike 5 days a week. This week it isn't going to get much warmer than the low 60's if even that high.

Have a great day everyone.

<3

Mary from Arizona
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    Did my memoir writing, which was about a difficult subject, so I felt a bit flat and miserable afterwards. DH asked me if I was alright. I have definitely been feeling low post Christmas, remembering Shirley, missing the family and my old friends and stirring up "stuff" in my memoir.
    This afternoon I decided to cheer myself up by getting a bus into town to investigate the Waitrose that is on the bus route. (It's an upmarket supermarket ). I wanted to buy some more of my AF wines which they have on offer.
    A successful trip was had and I felt much better. :D
    When I got off the bus near home I saw the hairdresser was open, so I had my hair trimmed for the first time in Hove. Looking good. She was happy to do a cheap 'wet cut' . Now it looks decent for my lunch out with my Portsmouth friend tomorrow. She has decided to come by train after all, so I will get the bus to Brighton station. We are going to a well known vegetarian restaurant called Terre a Terre. The menu looks amazing - I won't know how to choose! ! !

2018's word was EMBRACE. So I have embraced my feelings. 2019's word will be FORWARD. So I will look to the future and the exciting life we will create here.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    B)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    Down with DFIL still in bed on Oxygen but getting fluids into him and his lungs are clear so that's good no pneumonia. Will get his lunch in him and then will go home and take a nap I'm feeling very tired .
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Mary: This is the cauliflower pizza crust I've been using. I can find it at my local health food/Sprouts Market for about $5.88 a box, which has two 8" crusts.
    https://amazon.com/CAULIPOWER-Cauliflower-Crusts-Gluten-Non-GMO/dp/B07BMGJF2Q/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1545935540&sr=8-3&keywords=caulipower%2Bpizza%2Bcrust&th=1

Margaret: LOVE the doves and angel tableau.

Well, decided against going to Maui this winter. Awoke to the realization that we live less than two hours from a winter wonderland that people all over the world clamor to visit, so we are going to take a few nights next week to visit Frisco, Colorado. The main attractions for us are to see the second annual Dillon Ice Castles, the Frisco adventure park with a super long tube run, and the Nordic center where I hope to take in a lesson on cross-country skiing. (Depends on how much the trigger thumb is acting up.) DH is not able to do anything on skis because his feet point out so dramatically that the back tips would cross each other. But, I think I have him sold on tubing! https://townoffrisco.com/play/frisco-adventure-park-winter/general-info/

Feeling excited and looking forward to nice mountain weather!

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    We’ve only managed 9 miles so far today. I think my foot has a few more miles left in it for today.

Photo of my foot. ⚠️ WARNING ⚠️. Graphic photo. Don’t look unless you like gross things.
    xzi2u84ksyv6.jpeg

Okie (not) in the TX Hill Country
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Allie: Can you get headphones to watch your animal shows and mute the TV so that Alfie doesn’t lose his mind and bark? Just an idea. On the other hand, you might not enjoy the programs that I like. Four of them are veterinary shows and four are zoo shows. Zoos have programs from New York, Cincinnati, Great Britain, and Australia. Veterinarians include Dr. Pohl, Dr. Oakley Yukon Vet, Dr. Kay Exotic Animals, and Dr. Buckeye Bottoms, Hawaii. I’ve always liked animals except those with scales and no legs. Snakes give me the weebie-geebies, even on TV. :ohwell:

Okie: Socks make a huge difference for me what I’m out hiking. They have to fit well, and not scrunch down into the heel of my hiking books. I like wool socks for winter weather and cotton for warmer weather. :star:

Rebecca: I’m impressed that you have Christmas stored away already. It will stay up at my house until after New Year’s Eve. New Years Day we put it all away. I keep the lights up longer because they help me fight the wintertime blues. :bigsmile:

Mary: Sorry about your losses.:broken_heart::heart: I suspect you might be able to find an aluminum tree at an estate sale somewhere. AZ seems like a likely place to hunt. The internet is another possibility. Good luck. :star: Shep is gorgeous and huge! :smiley:

Micheller1210: Welcome to a great group! Post often and get to know us. :star:

Barbie: It was sweet of Jake to watch Christmas movies on Lifetime with you. :star::heart:

Gzteach: Welcome to a great group. We have a mix of Americans, Canadians, Brits and Ausies just now. A friend from NZ was with us for a while but we haven’t seen her post lately. Bookmark us by clicking on the blank star at the top of the page. It will turn yellow. After that you can find us easily by clicking on the star. :flowerforyou:

Rori: We had the chance to ride a zipline in Mexico several years ago. I had a great ride down the line. It might have lasted a minute, but likely a little less. Go for it! :bigsmile:

Heather: We usually leave our Christmas decorations up until New Years Day. I crave light in the winter and they help. Our living trees need to go outside, though. That is why they decorations aren’t up even longer. :star: I’ve never chosen a word for the year, but “embrace” and “forward” are both very positive. :bigsmile:

Heather and Machka: What is Boxing Day? :huh:

(((KJ))) You are an exceptional DIL. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: I love your neighbor's Christmas Train in lights. :bigsmile:

Michele: We get Doctor Pohl on Nat Geo Wild. I really love the shows, along with the other animal shows on the same channel and/or on Animal Planet. Since I record all these shows I have no idea what time they’re actually broadcast. :smiley:

Margaret: Your snow looks very festive. :heart:

Cariwaldick: ”I'm happy. Last year I may have been in some kind of depressed fog, but now it's lifting. I'm smiling more, stressing less, and enjoying life. I even walk better, taking full strides where I used to take baby steps to avoid pain. I can do the stairs with only minimal pain, and even my posture has improved. Getting my weight and health under control is changing my life. I'm looking forward to 2019, and every year after.” Great News!

I’m baking gluten free sourdough “bread” today. So far, so good. They are looking okay and smelling wonderful, but I suspect they will be very crumbley—WRONG! They are amazingly gooey. The flavor is good but the texture needs worK, LOTS of work.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Shoot, lost my post. Welcome the the newbies. It is always fun to make new friends.
    I have been pondering my word for 2019 as it will be a Hugh milestone for me in July. Hopefully you young women won’t kick me off for being too old.
    Rori mentioned insight as her meditation title and it made me think about what I want to accomplish, why I want those goals and am I willing to commit to the daily mindfulness to get there. Humm,mm,
    Putting gifts away and unpacking today. My DD and her family will be here Monday so I need to plan some meals.
    Better go pick up my mail.
    SueBDew in TX
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,798 Member
    Options
    Allie - hope your FIL kicks this infection to the curb very quickly.

Heather - I am so enjoying your posts and how you are enjoying your new home and town.

Kelly - dementia is such a terrible disease.

I will be taking my Christmas decorations down probably on January 2nd. I want to get my craft room cleaned up and in a usable state so that I can enjoy the room again. Right now all of my Christmas totes are in there waiting to be filled again before putting them out into the shed.

I received a Cricut for Christmas and am very excited to start using it!

I have a doctors appointment on Monday morning, I have been having chest pains for the last few weeks and they seem to be getting more frequent. It is like something is pushing on the inside trying to get out through the bones. I don’t really know how else to explain it. I haven’t been doing any exercise so it’s not related to overuse.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    @exermom My best friend's mom made the tree skirt for me years ago and even though we didn't do the ornaments, I really wanted the skirt out. At least putting everything up this year will be much easier! LOL! Not having a tree and using the corn plant made for some laughs so it was all good.

My oldest son and his wife and pup just left to head back to Chattanooga. They're only 2 hours away so I'll see them in January. Still cried just a little as they pulled off. My DDIL sent me this photo as they stopped for gas on the way out. My son pumped gas for an elderly lady and had her get back in her warm car since it was cold and rainy out. Love that boy!!

1c6otkplktpr.jpg
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    How do you ladies do the "spoiler" on photos so they're not so large?
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    Options
    Mary ... Shep grew into his ears!

Bonnie ... the spoiler is under the thing that looks like a backwards p ... called format if your cursor hovers over it. It's one of the choices along with quote and code.

Getting ready to take our aging black lab (almost 14) to the vet. The shedding I mentioned previously is getting worse and he's developing bald patches. Suspect he's losing weight along with hair as well. The only thing that's changed in 3 months has been medication the vet gave for arthritis. I discontinued that last week, but don't feel good about him today. Sigh. Don't think we'll be getting good news here.

Beth near Buffalo
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Beth hope you get some answers from the vet and it is better meds and good news. <3

Had a lovely day of errands and a quick visit with my bff and her 6’7” son—-my neck hurt just looking up to have a conversation with him, what a great young man he is turning out to be.

Heather love how your retro clock matches your kitchen aid

NYKAREN
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - I'm envying your minimalist rooms. I would love to get my decorations down, but DH likes them for now. I think over in the UK we put them up a bit later than you do, but they generally stay up until Twelfth Night, or at least until after New Year.
    I would live to live in a white cube, with a few carefully curated items, like a modern art museum. I find it so restful. Unfortunately, my lifestyle and DH's doesn't lend itself to the minimalist look. If I lived alone I might give it a try. I would need big white wall cupboards though!!!

Welcome new people! :D We all started somewhere. I was obese, with awful, painful knees and hips, high blood pressure, and depressed at the way I looked. I took no exercise to speak of.
    Over 18 months I gradually changed all that. It wasn't fast, but it worked, and I have kept it off, lost a bit more and am now running 5k several times a week as well as other home exercises. It can be done, as I am now 69. :o (Can't believe it)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

Don't envy😋, there have been many times when we have stated to one another, "oh do we have this item, or that book", only to remember I sold it at a garage sale! I think over the years I have had at least 20+ garage sales! Before each son's birthdays, (secretly just earning some extra cash for the upcoming birthday), and before Christmas times. My items aren't antique, but they speak to me. My husband is the real neat freak! If I leave a sock on the floor, he used to just point and I would jump and eek, oopsy! Now I just look at him and state, yep that is my sock! I might just leave it there! When I look at my home, I don't see any clear color scheme, just variances of woods, and bits of color. When I decorate I take the knick knacks away, and put out the Christmas, then husband doesn't get too crazy from the clutter.

How is your new house feeling? Did you make a new home ornament, with the date? It sounds like you're both enjoying the change. Adjust, adapt and grow. Rinse and repeat.👍😁💟
    💗Rebecca
    Whidbey island
    Washington
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    s9ix3bp3hx94.jpg
    1zjly2lzvqcz.jpg

First pic is the toy scooter I got for husband, (with the help of Dana.💗), that is like his old scooter he had in California. He loved it, and put one of his GIJoes on it.
    💗Rebecca