WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Allie: I agree with Barbie. Go with a positive attitude. :heart:

Barbie: It is good that you’re dancing again! Congratulations!!! :flowerforyou:

Mary: Have a great time with your DS and DDIL. It sounds like Shep is going to have a good time at his boarding facility. :bigsmile:

Michele: I made a Christmas Tree skirt years ago but haven’t used it in the past several Christmases. I have two living trees growing in pots, and a forest of little artificial trees. DDIL has a very high quality 10 foot tall artificial tree that she uses every year, and an electric train to go around the base. The tree requires high ceilings and a lot of ladder work. She has loads of lovely glass ornaments. I’m not a huge fan of the tree, but it is a tradition that she loves. Her train running around the base is glorious! :star:

Kylia in OH: You have been a very busy woman! It is good to see you posting again. :flowerforyou:

Kim: I am delighted to read your post. I’ve missed you. I hope the New Year brings good things to your life. :heart: It is too bad that your brother has forbidden his son from seeing you. This is a tough time for your family, and things will eventually be less stressful. :cry: :flowerforyou:

Viv: We aren’t planning any big celebrations. DH and I are typically homebodies, and our children are far away. :ohwell:

Pip: I agree with you. We’re all amazing. :bigsmile:

I am having coffee while DH sleeps in. It is 9 am and this is a late morning for him, so I’ll go up and check on him. I was all wound up last night and didn’t get to bed until late. I heard from DD and she did get her Teddy Bear Angel. Yay!!! I wonder whether she’ll put it atop her tree, or somewhere else. I made three of them in the 1970’s. DS doesn’t want his, so I now have two. I spent a bit of time on fixing up his angel and it will be ready for him if he ever wants it.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    <3
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    Bonnie – how did you manage not to gain weight over the holidays? I know I gained about 2 or 3lbs, but they are gone now. Yet, I know they’ll probably come back.

I had only one dessert per day (except 1 day) and logged everything I ate. Stayed under calories most days, I think. Any leftover dessert tonight is going in the trash in the morning. I don't buy sweets anymore and have done well through the month not allowing myself any sugar. Had a slice of cherry pie today and that's it for me. Back to no sugar!
  • BonnieHosk85
    Options
    @grandmallie, what a great friend and daughter-in-law you are!!
  • BonnieHosk85
    Options
    @barbiecat, Thanks! He's a Brittany and belongs to my son and daughter-in-law. They share though! :smiley:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,705 Member
    Options
    aww thanks Bonnie~
    I went to my friends and walked the dogs... ohhhh they are all are adorable... they left me 70.00 and a present and a homemade jar of peach jam and blueberry jam, Leah the mom to 3 of the pups made a beautiful scarf for me, just a stunner... then went down to feed DFIL and they had pasta with meat sauce... a favorite of his, so he sat with his eyes closed and I shoveled lol, he ate that all up had 2 glasses of ginger ale and one of his birthday presents that i got him was 4 4 packs of jello lemon meringue .. and he LOVES it.... so he had that for dessert,
    came home and took out the neighbors trash and ran her car for her...
    watching a bit of t.v. and then will hop in the shower and get ready for tonight...
  • BonnieHosk85
    Options
    Bonnie – painting of your dog is wonderful! Who rules the house when the schnauzers are there? >:) Congrats on not gaining weight during this time of the year. You are off to a great start!

@lhscapil, the girl Schnauzer was top dog! I was watching her while my friend was out of state. They were all so good. Toby, the biggest, was the most docile. It was comical to see the two Schnauzers telling him off. LOL!
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Bonnie – painting of your dog is wonderful! Who rules the house when the schnauzers are there? >:) Congrats on not gaining weight during this time of the year. You are off to a great start!

@lhscapil, the girl Schnauzer was top dog! I was watching her while my friend was out of state. They were all so good. Toby, the biggest, was the most docile. It was comical to see the two Schnauzers telling him off. LOL!

Bonnie - LOL! Yep, I could imagine the schnauzers running the show. :D

Lanette
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Lanette - thanks for asking!

On grad school
    - ran the budget out for the next couple years, and at $1,800 - $2,000 per six-week class, grad school will have to wait one more year, unfortunately. Or fortunately, not sure. :) I've got plenty of challenges coming up at work in the new job for the next year, so will reserve grad school until I feel I've conquered all my challenges, work-wise. I usually take a year to start looking around for the next challenge, so starting spring semester of 2020 should be about right for my own personal timing.

On knee surgery
    - They finally put the consult back into the VA system on the 19th of December to get the right knee looked at by a surgeon, so the best I can hope for is an assessment appointment in January. It's the usual (insert your favorite dirty word for a mixed-up mess) with the VA... but wouldn't be able to afford the co-pays and deductibles on my health insurance for at least another year, so I'm kinda stuck with it. The good part is a) it's free, and b) it will be done by a civilian surgeon, one with a good reputation.

Swift change of subject - Finally broke down and bought a chainsaw today - we've been looking at them for months, but other things took priority. But recent rains and wind brought down a number of trees, and we can use the wood... so, bought one today with the payment for my vacation that finally came through from my previous council. The boys (49-year-old husband and 25-year-old son, for those who don't know me) are outside playing with it now. They love anything that makes noise, I swear.

Allie - you've got tons of good advice... and just one other point, I'll bet Mary's going to go in all het up and indignant, so all you need to do is be calm, confident and prepared. You'll do great, I have faith.

Love y'all!
    Lisa in AR
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    Pppp
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lanette: I’m sorry that your shoulder is giving you pain, but absolutely impressed with your straight forward manner of doing what needs to be done. I hope things sort themselves out and the pain disappears soon. :star:

Allison: I like your attitude! Enjoy yourself tonight and prepare your work-related information tomorrow. I hope that everything works out so that you are happy and employed. :flowerforyou:

We’re planning an RV trip to Illinois for this coming spring. DD says that April is good. I hope to do a bit of sight-seeing on the way. I think I’ve already mentioned that I hope to see Mt. Rushmore. We have friends in Montana that I’d also like to see. I don’t want to go anywhere in a snowstorm. The logical strategy is to make general plans and modify them as needed if weather requires a change of plans. I am looking forward to a little adventure.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    Lanette - Yes, the croissants are extra special. It's rare to get that real 'sour' taste in a croissant these days, even if the texture is perfect. Even the artisan bakeries rise them too quickly. Our dough is in the fridge for the night. Tomorrow is layering day with the butter, then back into the fridge until Monday, when you do the final roll out - 44 ins long, and cutting and rolling them up, rising, baking etc. I get DH to do the marking out and cutting.
    It makes 15 croissants, each one 350 calories. We will have one each NYD for breakfast, then the rest will go in the freezer. The texture is a bit denser than perfect, but the flavour is divine. It's just a bit of fun, but it's one of those things where the effort is actually worth it. I love slightly 'off' flavours in general. Sourdough, fermented foods, oxidised sherry and wine. Double yum. :p

Just watched the film 'CHEF' for the second time. Fun!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    Lanette - see my reply above I was typing the same time as you. :D

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    Options
    Heather - have you ever made Brioche? Our local bakery sometimes makes loaves of it over the holidays and I forgot to check this year. Many, many years ago I made it in little fluted tin (wonder what happened to it?).

I had better metabolism back then, lol. But wouldn't mind a nice eggy buttery chunk right now B)

Lanette
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,053 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Relaxing having a pear and some cinnamon tea. Simple pleasure!

:heart:
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Made soup!
    w9m9z4fld081.jpeg
    5i65ki3ffyhb.jpeg

1/2 of a kielbasa sausage cut up, sauteed w/ garlic an drizzle of Amy's shiitake mushroom dressing. Add can green beans, diced tomatoes, baby potatoes about 6, and 4 cups of water. Then put in 2tsp of Better Than Bouillon beef paste. Simmer until the potatoes are done! Yummy!
  • SophieRosieMom
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Rebecca - your soup looks absolutely yummy and perfect for this weather. Wanted to mention how I love your minimalist look and that telephone desk is the best. <3 How nice of Dana to you linked up for your DH's scooter!

So neat that all of your possessions "tell a story". As I look around my house, despite working on decluttering, only a few things really tell a story. I could easily eliminate about 90% more of what see -I wonder if DH would notice. Oh, I'd keep him and the dogs, lol.

Margaret, I forgot to mention how much I appreciated your post on staring at electronics screens and the links to macular degeneration. You always come up with really great research in so many areas of health that you post in this group. Thank you! <3 Pear and tea sound great by the way B)

Lanette
    Super breezy and wet SW WA State