JUST FOR TODAY -- One Day at a Time .... Daily commitment thread for 2019

Replies

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Checking in from Wednesday
    1. No AM run. Therapy exercises. Feed cats. Tea! Log 1 item. Update JFT by 7:00. Warm car.
    2. Before school: Update class websites. Find & print stretching exercises. Print Day 3 worksheet for class 1-2. Print new copies of complex sentence worksheet.
    3. Class 1-2: Complex sentence worksheet 2. Research project.
    4. Planning: A - Revise essay. B - Grade homework and projects. C - Enter grades. PARENT CALLS. D - Check essay.
    5. Class 4: Complex sentence practice (flip sentences). Sound technique notes. Frayers. Homework - Complex sentences practice.
    6. Review assessments. What is the purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Park run - aim for 3.5 miles, <50 min. Lang8 post. Read 6 pages of Capital. Read 10 pages of Ivanhoe.
    8. Gratitude journal. SUBMIT ESSAY. Fold and put laundry away.
    9. Therapy exercises. Prep Thu lunch. Chop celery. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00; alarm set for 5:50. Update Goodreads Friday. MAKE SURE MUSIC IS CHARGED.

JFT Thursday
    1. No AM run. Therapy exercises. Feed cats. Meds. Tea! Log 1 item. Update JFT by 7:00.
    2. Before school: Update class websites. Put first directions on board. Print Relative Pronouns worksheet. Find & print stretching exercises.
    3. Class 1-2: Relative Pronouns. Research project. Homework - Research Challenge. Relative Pronoun.
    4. Planning: A - Duo. FINISH PROJECTS. B - FINISH ESSAY. C - ENTER GRADES. D - PARENT CALLS.
    5. Class 4: Relative pronouns. Poetry. METER CHECK. Shaun Tan's Arrival?
    6. Review assessments. What is my purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Head immediately to gym; run 2.5 miles. BodyPump 5:30. Fold laundry. Update grocery list. SUBMIT ESSAY. EXAM.
    8. Update Goodreads Friday. Blog post. Read 6 pages Capital and 10 Ivanhoe. Lang8 post?
    9. Therapy exercises. Prep Fri lunch. Chop celery. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00; alarm set for 5:50. Update Goodreads Friday. Check AM weather to plan run. Head to LW Friday IMMEDIATELY after school to fill out paperwork. Take cord for phone to school. Take headphones.

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    End of 2018: 189.2
    January 2019: 186.0
    February 2019: 187.0
    Today: 188.6

Ongoing plans/ideas behind the cut
    1. Purchases: Go to Mac store and see if they can retrieve the files off the iMac. Look for an "ugly Christmas sweater" and a long-haired doll at thrift stores. Practice French braiding. Go to used bookstore and look for Design for How People Learn (Julie Dirksen), On Writing (Stephen King), Dying for a Paycheck (Robin Hardman), The Prince (tr. Tim Parks, Russell Price, or Robert Adams), The Secret Adversary (Christie).
    2. E2: What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Create vocabulary lists for each unit that come from the texts used: Animal Farm, Julius Caesar, Wes Moore, I Am Malala. Find a way to incorporate changing words from one part of speech to another. Students need to know how to review multiple sources and synthesize information in order to draw a conclusion. Need practice with the difference between transitions and overlapping (at end of paragraph - "another issue is Y" vs "there are other issues besides X"). Quit using "in conclusion" and "I believe" and other writing-about-my-writing phrases. Confusion between direct/indirect objects and prepositional phrases. Use the UDHR and the Declaration of Independence to study paraphrasing; use that to front-load Machiavelli and how to deal with challenging texts. Confusion between everyday / every day and similar constructions.
    3. E1: Need practice with quoting & paraphrasing sources, identifying claims that would need support, use of last names for reference, and capitalization practice (common/proper nouns, titles). Difficulty using possessive nouns in their own writing. Honors: practice subject/object pronouns (my friend and I / my friend and me).
    4. Curriculum Development: Writing mini-unit. Review scholarly research on 5PE. (I think I can have this as an intro to the research unit so that they also get exposure to how quotes are integrated and cited.) Parallel structure; use of emotional language, specific detail. Use "Write About a Pebble" lesson from Atwell. How long should each unit take? Do research on characteristics: curiosity, persistence, resilience, creativity, responsibility, optimism, courage, integrity, authenticity, leadership, self-awareness, humility, compassion - others? Include grammarly check on essays!
    5. Professional Development: Write blog post weekly. Comment on 3 posts each week -Tu Th Sun? Check with PSC. Talk with Z about articles and/or conference proposals.
    6. Medical: Dentist? Apr 22 McC. Need sub. Call to set up checkups with Dass (October). GET MAGAZINES FOR COLLAGES FROM DOCTORS.
    7. Theater: Audition for Christie March. Audition for Mamma Mia ??? Need sub for May 2, opening day.
    8. House: Mineral oil on tile spots. Check with D about ceiling.

WFTY: Climbing. I feel like I'm falling head over heels down the mountain. I did get a fair amount done on the essay, but I haven't taken this week's test and it's now Thursday and the essay isn't done either and there is a big old stack of projects to grade...

I really really REALLY want to be able to actually take a break rather than spending my unpaid "time off" doing my freaking job. :(

I just don't know if I can do it. Not without dropping exercise and/or eating just whatever's at hand instead of taking the time to plan and prepare and all that. And that's without even measuring and logging, just guessing.

It seems like everyone else can do this, and I can't. :(
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Good morning all! Yesterday marked 5 weeks since starting strong curves and being consistent with my eating, so I took some progress photos. The changes are slight but this showed me it's actually working, and this group has been so helpful with that, so thank you all!

ovdpkvosa03m.jpg

@bookmeister86 I'm sorry to hear your week is so tough, it's very frustrating to work so hard and not feel appreciated. As for a pick me up snack, maybe you could bring a piece of fruit or something? That has some sweetness and can put a little fuel in the tank to hold you over until dinner.

@Snowflake1968 that is great news! Good luck!!

Yesterday 3/20:

1. Stay within calorie goal 😞 went about 100 over
    2. Go for a walk at lunch 😁
    3. Finish work at 5:15😁
    4. Workout after work😁
    5. Clear off guest bed😞

JFT 3/21:

1. Stay within calorie goal
    2. Go for a walk at lunch
    3. Finish work at 5:15
    4. Clean guest bathroom
    5. Clear off guest bed
  • Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,184 Member
    3/20/19 Wed
    *Weigh: 156 lbs
    *Minimum 4 8 oz glasses of water 🙂 Had 6
    *Stay in Green 🙂
    *Find way to work in exercise consistently 🙂 Tried some exercise this morning since I was awake early enough due to migraine that woke me very early. After med, cooling down the house, stripping, moving to the den couch where it was cooler & finding a position that it wasn't hurting so bad in--napped a while, then woke back up feeling good. So, did push-ups, triceps dips & back exercises which includes sit-ups & planks. It felt good doing it early in the morning. So, it may be my answer.
    *Be in bed by midnight 😞

JFT 3/21/19 thurs.
    *weight:
    *4 glasses of water
    *stay in green
    *plan meals tomorrow thru Tuesday
    * find way to work in exercise
    * Be in bed midnigh

• maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    hxjhq9k0qnnb.jpg
  • maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    Good Morning Everyone! Having some technical difficulties so I can't comment on your posts with my
    usual likes and hugs. UHG! Anyway. Proud of everyone's progress... Keep up the good work!
    Our future looks better...😀👏👏👌
    I have a busy day out and driving doing different things. I love you all... My eating may be in the whatever
    I can get mode ttofay and I will work it off. Motivation for today... YOU'RE WORTH IT!!!
    I'M out. Love ya.🙌😀
  • Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,184 Member
    edited March 2019
    toaljasa wrote: »
    Elbee1 wrote: »
    am buckling down & doing it this time. I'm not sure if diet & exercise can reverse my high cholesterol & high blood sugar, but I'm sure hoping so. Why, oh why, did I wait so long to really get serious when I knew how likely it would be to affect my health like this?! Regardless, I can't go back in time & undo the self-inflicted harm that I did, but I am trying to improve things, now. Just hope it's not too little, too late for me.

Yesterday, I did have some evil thoughts creep into my head on the way home from work whereby I pass at least 4 ice cream places, every known fast food restaurant, several Starbucks, my favorite restaurants, and the delicious smells walking from the building to my car... it's the first time that I had difficulty holding back since the blood results a couple weeks ago. I told myself, well if I get on medication then can stop & eat it. Lots of people do that--my parents, 2 of my brothers, etc. But, Yay Me! I held it together & somehow managed to overcome those bad thoughts.

Wow! Great job in buckling down. Picture or even write down your vision. How do you see yourself a year from now if you strive for good health? What is your attitude? How do you look? What are you wearing? What is your anxiety level? Are you feeling more empowered?

Something I heard the other day and am working to implement: When you feel the pull of the ice cream, etc. say to yourself, out loud: I want lower cholesterol MORE THAN I want ice cream; I want lower blood sugar MORE THAN I want ice cream; I want to be med free MORE THAN I want ice cream.

The battle is in our mind and it is real.

I am very proud of you and am using you to inspire me to make good choices today.

Peace and joy!

Yes, I'd say at least 90% in my mind.
    Yes, that's pretty much what I've been telling myself when I pass a place...nope, not an option. I'd rather not be on med. and, that's it. No big deal or craving except that 1 day. At least so far. 👍

Me, inspire anyone? I haven't inspired anyone since college days!

I'll answer your questions later.

Thanks for your support.
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    JFT Wednesday
    1. Log all food :)
    2. Waters! :)
    3. 10 squats/bathroom trip >:)
    4. Eat packed lunch >:) skipped lunch
    5. Work until 4 :)
    6. Be postive and kind :)
    7. Aldi trip :)
    8. Update this list later :)
    9. Pick out clothes for tomorrow >:)
    10. Bed by 930 :)

JFT Thurs am
    1. Up by 555 :)
    2. Smoothie w/kiwi :)
    3. Fish oil >:)

JFT Thurs
    1. Log all food
    2. Waters!
    3. Eat packed
    4. Be positive and kind
    5. Eat packed lunch
    6. Cook dinner at home - grilled chicken w/ salad
    7. Update this list later
  • tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,520 Member
    Yesterday I got everything logged! I was going to walk on my treadmill after I cleaned up the dinner dishes but got called back to work at 7:30. Didn't get home till after 10pm, so, unfortunately that didn't happen. I did get in 6 glasses of water. After putting some sweetener and my essential oil in it, I didn't have a heartburn problem. I also drank it more slowly and used tap temperature instead of ice cold water.

JFT 3/21/19

Walk on treadmill for 1/2 hour
    Drink all my water
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,917 Member
    Bookmeister86 - has bet getting outside and seeing the sky night help even for 10 or 15 minutes. Sorry you had a crappy day/week. I hope you can get some rest when you finally get to bed tonight. You did well though, not eating more crisps.

Bex953172 - so you have to have all of your own appliances too? Sounds like a nice area to walk, and extra calories burned are a good thing!

Faebert - CONGRATULATIONS on the run!

Littleblackskirt - I don’t regret asking. You have a positive attitude with being in chronic pain. My Dad had surgery in 1980 and it was a major ordeal. My daughter had two slipped discs and another one starting in 2012 when she was 21. She had been unable to do anything for two years and physio actually made it worse. She was case study number 5 in North America for an experimental surgery where they replaced her discs with prosthetics. She was up and walking the next day. She had 15 doctors and I forget how many engineers in the operating room with her. She had to be checked more regularly for 2 years following the surgery, but has had no issues since.

Clicketykeys - I really have no great advice to help you, but maybe for the rest of this week it would be best to ease up on the diet and exercise a bit so that you can get the break you so desperately need next week. I don’t think it’s giving up, it’s prioritizing.

Aubyshortcake - you look great! What is strong curves?

Elbee1 - as for not inspiring anyone, I was pretty inspired this morning when you had a migraine, didn’t sleep well and then exercised!
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,149 Member
    Bookmeister86 - has bet getting outside and seeing the sky night help even for 10 or 15 minutes. Sorry you had a crappy day/week. I hope you can get some rest when you finally get to bed tonight. You did well though, not eating more crisps.

Bex953172 - so you have to have all of your own appliances too? Sounds like a nice area to walk, and extra calories burned are a good thing!

Faebert - CONGRATULATIONS on the run!

Littleblackskirt - I don’t regret asking. You have a positive attitude with being in chronic pain. My Dad had surgery in 1980 and it was a major ordeal. My daughter had two slipped discs and another one starting in 2012 when she was 21. She had been unable to do anything for two years and physio actually made it worse. She was case study number 5 in North America for an experimental surgery where they replaced her discs with prosthetics. She was up and walking the next day. She had 15 doctors and I forget how many engineers in the operating room with her. She had to be checked more regularly for 2 years following the surgery, but has had no issues since.

Clicketykeys - I really have no great advice to help you, but maybe for the rest of this week it would be best to ease up on the diet and exercise a bit so that you can get the break you so desperately need next week. I don’t think it’s giving up, it’s prioritizing.

Aubyshortcake - you look great! What is strong curves?

Elbee1 - as for not inspiring anyone, I was pretty inspired this morning when you had a migraine, didn’t sleep well and then exercised!

Lol yeah all our own appliances too! Fortunately we had all these from the old house which we firstly managed to borrow from people at first until we replaced with our own and we brought all that here, except the cooker, we had to get a cooker, but my dad bought us that to help.

@aubyshortcake you can definitely see a difference!! You look amazing!
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    tuddy315 wrote: »
    Yesterday I got everything logged! I was going to walk on my treadmill after I cleaned up the dinner dishes but got called back to work at 7:30. Didn't get home till after 10pm, so, unfortunately that didn't happen. I did get in 6 glasses of water. After putting some sweetener and my essential oil in it, I didn't have a heartburn problem. I also drank it more slowly and used tap temperature instead of ice cold water.

JFT 3/21/19

Walk on treadmill for 1/2 hour
    Drink all my water

Good for you! That's fantastic! Good that you are coming back for more.

Peace and joy
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,598 Member
    Recap W 3/20 ~ first day of spring!
    1) Rest day / move hourly / stairs breaks / 5 somethings = Fitbit 8,365 steps / 250+ steps 12/14 (happy hour) & 26 floors :smile:
    2) Meals and snacks prelogged / net cals w/i 100 of zero / 14c water = Fail! Did not stick w/ my prelogged dinner b/c I forgot this pub has monthly specials (not posted on their website) and I switched my order to a choice not normally on the menu, traditional Irish fisherman's stew. Tasted terrific, but the cals?!? Then finally got home at 8 p.m. overtired, in a snacky mood, and zero will power, so I snacked, which included Girl Scout thin mint cookies (my fav). Net calories -1,138 (just putting it out there for myself to see >:) ), sodium -2,370 >:) , sugar -34, fiber & protein good (this happens when I overeat) & 12c water
    3) After work happy hour with former colleagues/friends at Irish pub / have preselected & logged my dinner choice / stick with choice / enjoy 1 adult beverage in company of friends = See #2. At least I stuck w/ 1 beer then drank pint of water, would've been more water but only 1 server was running herself ragged, poor girl. :p
    4) Race home to care for pets = No time, enjoyed myself at pub for longer than intended. :#
    5) Lent service 7:00 :smile: / prep lunch and clothes for Th workplace hike at lunchtime = Leftover soup already in individual container & decided what to wear to work that would suffice no changing. :|
    6) UNPLUG 9:00 :smiley: / floss :s / retainers :s / set/verify early alarm, bed and TV off 10:20 :) (x-train before work R a.m.)

JFT R 3/21 ~ For the first time since DST clock change, I got up early before work & worked out! Yay me! Know it will get easier as sunrise becomes earlier.
    1) X-trained [weights / circuit] before work :smiley:
    2) Move hourly / stairs breaks / 5 somethings
    3) Weekly workplace mindful "snowshoe" hike has changed locations & will be a walk on paved trails due to melted snow / leave on time
    4) Leftovers day & prelogged meals & snacks / net calories zero / 14c water
    5) Pre-event tasks for next week's seminar / email organizer w/ details & arrange date/time to transfer materials & projector
    6) After work: call mom & dad / choir 6:30 / some to-do's?
    7) UNPLUG 9:00 / FLOSS / RETAINERS / set/verify alarm, bed & tv off 10:20 (walk dog after work F)
  • toaljasa
    @aubyshortcake Well, I can certainly see a difference! Good for you. Thanks for sharing---it goes to show that effort and a little time will result in change.
  • littleblackskirt
    littleblackskirt Posts: 1,041 Member

Wow @Snowflake1968 , that is major surgery! And she was so young to have such problems, so glad it turned out well for her.

Bex953172 wrote: »

Dont think about doing them, just get up and do them!

The losing weight is a slow on-going process, so just make sure thats going in the right direction, no matter how slow!

Thanks Bex, I read this and I got up and did some :)

@clicketykeys, it's not a case of others can do it and you can't. You have a LOT to do and can only do so much in a day. Until I semi retired last year I often worked long days and I'm sorry to say often the first thing to give was healthy eating. I would come home exhausted and either eat takeaway or just toast and go to bed. Not that I'm suggesting you do that! Just please don't think others are managing better than you. I hope you can get a relaxing week off.

@bookmeister86 , hope you get a good night's sleep tonight.

• pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,444 Member
    There were over 100 posts that I've missed, so like many other things, I'm starting fresh from here on out. I hope you all are well and the posts I missed were filled with mirth and happiness.

I've pretty much been eating, drinking and shopping to try to bring my life into line for the past week. We all know that doesn't work, and yes I just feel awful about negating my progress. I thought about coming back and acting like nothing happened because I'm ashamed of myself for behaving so foolishly over something I should be able to shake off by now. Oh well, tomorrow is another day, right? For tomorrow I will try to do better. I will set my goals like I was successfully doing for the past few weeks and try to settle back into a healthy rhythm.

On an up note, my retail therapy landed me a new vehicle and I am no longer sporting the minivan. I love the Acadia. It's decked out and pretty sweet, but I do kind of miss all of the storage the minivan had.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,149 Member
    nlmackey98 wrote: »
    There were over 100 posts that I've missed, so like many other things, I'm starting fresh from here on out. I hope you all are well and the posts I missed were filled with mirth and happiness.

I've pretty much been eating, drinking and shopping to try to bring my life into line for the past week. We all know that doesn't work, and yes I just feel awful about negating my progress. I thought about coming back and acting like nothing happened because I'm ashamed of myself for behaving so foolishly over something I should be able to shake off by now. Oh well, tomorrow is another day, right? For tomorrow I will try to do better. I will set my goals like I was successfully doing for the past few weeks and try to settle back into a healthy rhythm.

On an up note, my retail therapy landed me a new vehicle and I am no longer sporting the minivan. I love the Acadia. It's decked out and pretty sweet, but I do kind of miss all of the storage the minivan had.

You dont have to pretend nothing has happened, in fact its better to accept itz been an awful time for you and forgive yourself! Its okay to have a bad time, its okay to have a "dark day" in the year (i know i do)
    Sometimes, reallly really bad things happen, and youre right, we should be able to just shake it off, but when somethings had that much of an impact it can be hard to.
    But feeling ashamed that you couldnt handle it? Dont ever feel like that. You wouldnt say that to your best friend, so dont speak to yourself like that!

Youre right, tomorrow is a new day, tomorrow you could make even one small change and even if you only complete one goal, its still one dtep in ghe right direction!

Hugs to you, its good to see you back (see! A positive already!)
  • toaljasa
    t9q4p0viwmsd.png

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    *hugs*

Thanks everyone. Sadly, break isn't until week AFTER next. The one bright spot is that this is my last week of coursework for the class I'm currently in... so I'll get a break from THAT which will hopefully... HOPEFULLY ... let me get finished up with grading before my break from teaching.

I'm just getting less and less willing to accept the whole idea of spending hours and hours and HOUUURS on the weekend grading papers. Is it because I'm getting old? I thought people got more conservative when they got older but I'm over here going DOWN WITH CAPITALISM! and grumbling about the necessity of employment XD

Gotta go work on my Stupid Essay © some more. Probably I'll be back later to gripe again ;)