Internet Woo

Options

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Going with "oil pulling" to reverse cavities/regrow teeth (I kid you not)...by hippy logic coconut oil can stimulate bone growth (><). #Coconut oil > Stem Cells according to hippies

Hey!! I'm an (aging) hippie . . . we are Just. Not. That. Stupid.

That came after us. Totally taking the generational blame for "love the one you're with", getting in tune with the cosmic ubersoul, and a bunch of other Really Dumb Stuff. But oil pulling was after us drug-hugging free-lovers, so someone later needs to take the blame.

Peace! :flowerforyou:

;)

Sorry, that's Millennial hippies

Aren't those called hipsters?

Doubt I can say what I call them......

Doesn't stop you when you're chasing them off your lawn.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I thought oil pulling was the responsibility of cynical capitalists of indeterminate age who targeted hipsters and the worried well.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Going with "oil pulling" to reverse cavities/regrow teeth (I kid you not)...by hippy logic coconut oil can stimulate bone growth (><). #Coconut oil > Stem Cells according to hippies

Hey!! I'm an (aging) hippie . . . we are Just. Not. That. Stupid.

That came after us. Totally taking the generational blame for "love the one you're with", getting in tune with the cosmic ubersoul, and a bunch of other Really Dumb Stuff. But oil pulling was after us drug-hugging free-lovers, so someone later needs to take the blame.

Peace! :flowerforyou:

;)

Sorry, that's Millennial hippies

Aren't those called hipsters?

Sure, hipster-doofus Millennial internet trolling conspiracy-theorist hippies who could really use a real job and stop living in their parents' homes
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Wow. This is totally realistic 1fj77gxsales.jpg
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Options
    Food combining, as in the 80s/90s stuff about how you must always begin your meal with fruit?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Food combining, as in the 80s/90s stuff about how you must always begin your meal with fruit?

Different rules in different cases. There's a thread somewhere in the forums now about needing to know how many minutes/hours it takes each individual food to digest, because that OP wants to eat an individual food, have that digest & leave the stomach, eat another individual food, etc.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Options

Different rules in different cases. There's a thread somewhere in the forums now about needing to know how many minutes/hours it takes each individual food to digest, because that OP wants to eat an individual food, have that digest & leave the stomach, eat another individual food, etc.
    Gah! That's worse than what I was thinking of.
    If there's someone making money out of promulgating that as a diet plan, they're bad, bad people.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Food combining (or perhaps, separating) seems to be trending in woo-ville again: The idea that avoiding eating certain foods together, or eating one food at a time, or always eating certain foods only together, somehow adds magic.

Because natural selection on opportunistic omnivores would lead us there?!?

SMH.

There is a diet like this developed by a famous Jiu Jitsu family, the Gracie Diet. The rules to the diet are seemingly endless! Food is grouped into categories A-F. Within each category there are rules about which other foods you can or cannot eat them with.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    When I was around 11 I read the Beverly Hills Diet book (my mom had checked it out from the library for herself, but to her credit never did it), and at that age the arguments seemed very reasonable (nonsensical as they were). The rules (from wiki):

"The Beverly Hills Diet is predicated on the enzymatic actions of foods in the digestive process, and controlled weight by controlling when foods were eaten and in what combinations. The plan begins with the consumption of a series of specified fruits in a designated order for the initial ten days of the program. On Days 11 to 18, the dieter can add bread, two tablespoons of butter and three cobs of corn. Sources of complete protein, such as steak or lobster, cannot be consumed until Day 19 of the plan.

The diet argues that carbohydrates and proteins should never be combined or eaten on the same day."
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I remember a diet from about 20 years ago [which I never entertained] that had 'red' days and 'green' days, with specific food groups to be eaten on the specific days......I can't remember what the diet was called, or whether it was a Slimming World plan....Can anyone remember it?
  • HeliumIsNoble
    edited February 2019
    Options
    It's amazing how the actual weight-loss mechanisms behind these diets are so clear in retrospect.

I was very attracted to Fit For Life, because it promised me an end to my frequent stomach-aches and the only real change I thought I had to make was to only ever eat fruit an hour before dinner, never after. In practice, what this meant was I stopped eating fruit.

The stomach aches were, in retrospect, clearly anxiety-induced, and got better as I grew older, because these things naturally do.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    suziecue25 wrote: »
    I remember a diet from about 20 years ago [which I never entertained] that had 'red' days and 'green' days, with specific food groups to be eaten on the specific days......I can't remember what the diet was called, or whether it was a Slimming World plan....Can anyone remember it?

That's old slimming world
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    suziecue25 wrote: »

That's old slimming world

Ah yes, thanks :)

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I got this in my competition swag bag yesterday. What the woo?!?

usljrnlintgo.jpeg

What the heck even IS that? :#