WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2019

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did 2 segments of the Proform Get Strong, Sexy and Skinny DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Leslie Sansone’s Walk at Home DVD. Maybe sometime next week I’ll do the other two segments.

Right now I have a meatloaf in the oven for Vince. I’ll probably have the turkey meatloaves from Skinnytaste (he doesn’t care for them). Then I’m thinking that I’ll make the cookies to put in the napkin/diapers.

Heather – Vince has said “I’ll get you a housekeeper only if you really needed it because I know you. You’d clean before she got here so she doesn’t see the house a mess and you’d clean after she left because she didn’t do it your way.” And he’s right. Congrats on your run. You have nothing to be disconcerted about. That front runner probably has been doing that for years and years.

Barbara – for the first time ever as I was using the Wii this morning, suddenly the TV screen went all green and white and I couldn’t turn it off. Vince finally unplugged it from the back and it worked. He’s wondering if this means that it’s on it’s last legs. Personally, I really don’t want to spend the money for a new Wii. But on the positive side….in order for him to get to the back of the control (is that what it’s called) he had to move some of my DVD’s. In putting them back I now have room for at least 2 more (like I need that). So that’s good news

Ordered the tea bags for Denise. They should be here around the 11th. At first I was thinking the Celestial Seasonings brand but then I remembered that something like 5 tea bags come in a packet. The reviews of Stash brand say that each tea bag comes individually packaged. There will be some more left over, but I’ll have them so it’s no big deal

Julia – welcome! Awesome weight loss. Be sure to bookmark this page. There is a star at the top of the page (not the one next to a bell). If you click on that star, it’ll turn yellow and then you have this place bookmarked!

Finished making the oatmeal chocolate cookies. I think they do look a bit like poop. Now I’m thinking of making sour cream chocolate chocolate cookies

Janetr – it is so sad when land gets developed. Happy Birthday to your grandson and Mia

Kim – happy birthday to your mom! Have a great dinner. Outback is good.

I’ll probably finish the diamond dotz that I’m making for Jess. Next I’ll probably work on the diaper cake for Denise then the diamond dotz for her and Pete.

M – I, too, wish they’d stay on DST year round. Finally we’ll be on the same time as Jess.

KJ – what you wrote sounds like a great start.

Vince is moving the clocks forward right now

Michele in NC
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I have been corresponding with some ladies in my LS support group, and they all suggest I use a lesser dose on my various spots on my body. And especially stop putting it on my face, because of a glaucoma risk. I know I wouldn't put it in my eye, but if I turn and get it on my pillow then accidentally get on my eye, so stopping that. The group is a great resource for me. Nothing is too TMI. Very comforting!

Nice day driving around Oak Harbor is son's van. He was looking for a certain soda! Then we got Chinese food at a high end grocery store, parked at a sunny spot overlooking the harbor. We reminisced about the past, and told stories.

I bought some whipped cream vodka while we were out and about. I do like a jigger or two! It should last a great while! Just over ice. Need to make ice! Our frig has a built in one, just need to activate it!

I love pretty pics as you can see! Facebook to me is 90% eye candy! Oh because I love Suki so much, they made me a top fan! One of many. I am a professional click liker!
    Here is Suki and her human!
    j2yjaslxmlfv.jpg
    💗Rebecca
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    KJ, I am in tears. this is beautiful. You are truly one of the most insightful, loving, caring persons I know. I think those of us who are mothers-in-law would be blessed and thrilled to have this said of us when we are gone.

Big hugs, girl. <3

Janetr OKC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Just going to copy it here. Feedback needed.

Because I work with very small children, my mind tends to hold onto words from children’s literature, more than other works. These words were said by the Skin Horse in The Velveteen Rabbit.

“Real isn't how you are made,”... “It's a thing that happens to you. When [someone] loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real.”...”
    “It doesn’t happen all at once,” ... “You become. It takes a long time. That’s why it doesn’t happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don’t matter at all, because once you are Real you can’t be ugly, except to people who don’t understand.”

When I first met Norine, and began to become a part of this family, my first impression was of June Cleaver or Donna Reed. Norine was very sweet, quiet, genteel and well mannered. As a matter of fact, if Michigan were located closer to the Mason-Dixon line, I would swear she was a real southern lady. She didn’t seem to have an opinion, or at least seemed content to let some one else’s opinion be the one voiced. I came from brash, loud, boisterous, and rambunctious. I liked Norine; but she and this quiet family made me feel like a bull in a china shop. That was my first impression.

It took me a few years to see another side to her. It took another brash and rambunctious woman to join the family and organize a bunch of “girl get togethers”. All of us daughters in law would grab Norine and go to see movies, have lunch, go to musicals, and just have fun. THAT was when I began to see her sense of humor and realize that I could talk about things with her and she wouldn’t be shocked by what I had to say. I remember a conversation that I had with Jeanne and she mentioned that when they were younger, Norine was the life of the party. Always laughing, joking, outgoing and ready for an adventure.

The words of the Skin Horse from the Velveteen Rabbit really hit home for me as I took time this weekend to think about mom and how life helps us become who we are supposed to be. We are so foolish to think that the way we were when we were in our youth is “the most true, or most real”. In our youth we are bright and vibrant, with new skin, shiny hair and sparkling eyes. We are ready for everything. Then life happens. We lose our sparkle and vibrancy, we begin to look tired as our skin and hair begin to fade (or thin) as we put everything we have into our families, jobs, homes. We are becoming worn. We are becoming more real. Our children grow older, grandchildren come, then great grand children. We are loved by another generation. Our shiny new outer exterior is now faded, patchy, worn and has a sheen of a life well lived and loved.

Nobody stays the same in life. We all cycle through different phases like an egg to a caterpillar to a butterfly. Watching and learning about mom and how she lived her life and became real, has shown me that no phase that we are in is the phase we are going to stay in. We change through life and love. We change to meet the needs of those who love us. WE become real. As God intended. If we have lived our lives and have loved and been loved by others we will go out of this life worn, faded, torn, and so real that the memory of us will stay with those who loved us most. Forever.

As I said, this is a rough draft. The factual life, faith part is being written and read by another family member. My reflection is meant to be a personal reflection and only a couple minutes in (reading) length. Thanks for your help! KJ

That's nice. :)

My only suggestion would be to read it out loud a couple times. That's when any slight changes you want to make will become evident.

:heart:
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Kelly You're better at this kind of thing than you think. That is very nice. People will find it sweet and comforting and genuine.
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Kelly I couldn't see the hair video... :/
  • Machka9
    Options
    Sunday (aka Machka's Canadian Birthday) -- I was surprisingly tired today after yesterday's adventure so today was a relaxing day.

Sleep ... a long walk ... dinner at one of my favourite restaurants ... dessert at my favourite ice cream place ... :)

All good. :)

On the down-side, I cracked another tooth. :( Fortunately I'm going to the dentist on Wednesday to continue the root canal on another tooth, so I'll have her take a look at the newly broken on too.

M in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Machka Happy Birthday!

Karen in Virginia
  • anncah
    anncah Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Still exploring found this morning, so interesting and inspiring, us over 50 people need to stick together. Thanks again.
  • fate1226
    fate1226 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    MariMcKeon I am right with being unstable on my feet ...I have had several back surgeries and left with a lot of nerve damage waist down. I have a suggestion maybe you can do indoor stepping ...maybe place a chair in front of you and have your hand on it ...Leslie Sansone videos are good...you can look her up on you tube. ...just a thought and suggestion for you :D
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    kelly I love what you’ve written-genuine and heart felt. I agree that saying it out loud a few times is helpful. It is a really wonderful that you are celebrating her, will be a comfort to all who loved her.

NYKAREN
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    KJ - I love what you wrote! I too agree to practice it out loud. It’s amazing what changes you’ll hear. (ETA) I mean that I usually find changes when I read things out loud, not that I think you need to fix things. Hugs!!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    I've been working on my husband's story again this evening. A little bit at a time. I actually found a few things I had forgotten about.

M in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Home from seeing my DFIL he is still the same. good to see him.Tom came down too so we tag teamed feeding him..its sleeting out so will stay in for the day... get some things done around here and do some cooking... not feeling like eating much so will have another cup of tea and then maybe have something at lunch...
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    Kelly ... Your reflection brought tears to my eyes as well. You can tweak it if you want (I always have a zillion rough drafts), but it is beautiful as it stands.