Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,732 Member
    Options
    Ppppp
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Vicki, I too am concerned about waiting 5 years for another colonoscopy if you're already pre cancerous. I'm assuming this means polyps, I would definitely want them looked at in less than 5 years! Sincerely hope you can get close enough to your friend's place to be of help.
    Beth, good on your son for realizing he needs to up his game where his eating is concerned. We can only do so much, they have to actually want to do the rest!
    KetoneKaren, thanks so much for the Costco info (cash card), wonder if it's the same here in Canada, will have to do some investigating...
    Kim, you have done an amazing job keeping body and soul together! Good for you for doing what you needed to in order to keep yourself afloat!
    Barbie, great news about Jake!
    Katla, unfortunate that you have to wait so long for results etc, keeping my fingers crossed for you!
    Tracey, good attitude about the job interview being postponed, I'd just be getting more nervous!
    Machka, thank heavens you turned down the clown job! Yikes!

I found myself unemployed at the age of 55, too poor to quit working, but too young for any gov't funding. I ended up going back to school, took a business admin course, then ran into a woman that I had done an exercise class with, I knew where she worked and she had mentioned previously that I should apply there. Well, I didn't at that time, but when I ran into her again I asked if they needed anybody. She said yes! So I got down there with my resume and whatnot, the schooling didn't really do much for me, but the organization that I did it thru did help me out with polishing up my resume, and of course the schooling did look good there. Sometimes, you do need to know someone, unfortunate in this day and age, but if the employer is getting a referral from someone that they trust, it can work out best for everybody. It actually was in my favor that I didn't apply when she first suggested it, the guy that was the manager was kind of a jerk, by the time I did apply he was gone and she was the manager. Win, win!
    I'm kind of enjoying the longer days in the evening, I definitely am more motivated to do stuff around the house when it's still light out! There's still lots and lots to do, but, baby steps! lol
    Oy! At work, started writing this post about 3 hours ago, been busy! Almost quitting time now, so have to say goodbye for now!
    Hope everyone has a great day/evening/night!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,732 Member
    Options
    stats for the day;

spin bike=- 60min, 152mhr, 124ahr, 79ar, 108aw, 16.8mi= 487c
    arn/chin up assist machine- 8.29min 116hr, 139mhr, 5sts of 10eah, 2sts of 70#, 3of 55#, squats in btwn ea set= 83c
    floor exercises- 7.57min, 146mhr, 2sts of 15ea, 4 diff ever, 1sts of slow/fax box step up, 10ea= 57c

total cal 627
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Heather- Bea is looking so grown up. The grands grow up too fast. She is very particular with the wrapping paper.
    Dana- love the hair cut. We have red buds blooming and all sorts of fruit trees.
    Well I actually didn’t play golf yesterday. Dressed in my cuddle duds, long sleeve Shirt, sweater and wind breaker. My DH was just leaving the course when I got there and He said it was cart path only and wind was blowing 30 mph. I have a hard time playing in good weather so I went home.
    Spent two hours picking up pecan branches this afternoon. We had very high winds and some people lost roofs or had trees on their roof. Lots of trees down or snapped in two.
    Going to stay at my back in Dr. Teal’s.
    SueBDew in TX
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,433 Member
    Options
    Beth - first, CONGRATS on your successful 19:5 eating! Very proud of you!! Some day when you have time, could you please repost your resources for this plan? OK, for kales.... I would probably fix them like I do the green kale - cut into ribbons and massage with olive oil for a salad, OR put a little olive oil into a large skillet, cut the kales into ribbons again, then toss them with a little water, cover and let them wilt. Salt and add a dab of butter if preferred.

Allie
    - your new employer reminds me so much of the dentist that took over when my old one was forced to retire because of a bad back/surgery. I loved the old dentist... he would recommend replacing my ancient crowns even tho they weren't causing a problem, mainly because I was still working and had great insurance. He gave painless shots and kept me laughing the whole time he'd work on me. So, at the time, I thought why go through the hassle of getting new crowns. Then the guy who bought his practice was gung-ho on replacing things and finding cavities that I didn't think were there. I moved on to a new dentist who is very conservative when it comes to doing unneeded procedures. I think you are right, the old customers won't like your new dentist's attitude.

Tracey
    - hope the interview goes well. So sorry to hear about the shortage of jobs in your area. Things are going gangbusters around here, economy is the best it's been in a decade or more and unemployment in our county is lowest it's been ever. Part of it might be the tax cut, part of it might be the reworked tariffs? Industrial jobs and warehouse jobs, which pay a living wage, are on the rise. Maybe it's a coast thing? Not sure. The folks I know are very optimistic about the future now - definite change for the better.

Oh, regarding the parents who paid bribes to get their kids into college.... when I read the article, I was surprised at how some were allowed to cheat on the SAT's. I remember when I sat for them, everything was by the book, closely monitored. And now this. I wondered too at the kids who were allowed entry because of "bribes" - how did they do in their academics? Did the prof's let them slide through because of a bribe or the fact they were the kid of someone famous? Sheesh.

Carol made a great comment that a college education isn't a guarantee of success, especially to an entrepreneur. I wonder if Bill Gates ever finished his degree?

Busy weekend! Potting up little tomatoes into 4" pots yesterday and today, helped DH put new "skin" on the greenhouse - the large clear tarp I bought was about 6" too short. So we'll go with plan B and recover it with several layers of construction plastic. That will be tomorrow. It's 63 out right now and we'll likely see 75 on Tuesday but it won't last long.

Last Thursday I went in for a "medical massage" on my shoulder. The therapist really worked it over and said I wouldn't like her the next day. Talk about bruises...I've been icing it and found some THC/CBD gel at the Cannabis store that helps. BUT I definitely have better range of motion, and that was my goal.

I read an article recently that talked about how in the olden days, people didn't use analgesics like aspirin, Tylenol, ibuprofen. I remember when I was a kid, my grandparents and even parents would have to be hurting pretty bad to take ONE aspirin. I think the fact that they were farmers and busy all the time, they kept in better shape so their bodies were well-toned and not prone to injury, plus "don't baby it" was their motto, lol. :p My grandmother had crippling arthritis in her hands, but claimed they didn't hurt.

OK, been skimming so sorry I've missed a lot!

Lanette
    Sunny & warm SW WA State
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies!
    Well, we are moving.😔 Lee called our management company to schedule signing for another year, and they told him the owner of our rental is coming back to the states. So we have to be out by June 1st. OH, fun city! Making lists of rentals and taking tours. Had one this morning, it was the messiest house! Trashy! Came back to our rental and it looked so clean and spotless. Even when I am moving I wouldn't let my house look like theirs was.

💗Rebecca
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Beth https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/176957/baked-kale-chips/

The only thing I would do differently is put the kale and the oil in a plastic bag and massage the oil into the kale so it's evenly distributed, then put the kale on the parchment paper lined pan and salt before baking.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Fri took the water aerobics class. The plan for Sat. is to do Denise Austin’s Power Zone DVD

Yvonne – I didn’t realize that Albert Einstein was born today! Thanks for letting me know

Tracey – what a wonderful thing for your daughter’s instructor to say. I can understand why she wouldn’t want your daughter there while she was saying it, but at the same I can understand why your daughter was shocked when asked to leave. How wonderful for you, tho!

Barbara – I’m glad the gnome made you smile. Then I guess it did its job!

Karen in BC – get better fast

Dana – I’m sorry you have to wear that heart monitor for more time. I remember when Vince had to wear one, it IS a pain. But three weeks will be over before you know it. Great haircut

Made a tuna casserole to take to our new neighbors. Will also give them the rest of the oatmeal chocolate cookies I made for Denise since Vince won’t eat them.

Newcomers: Carol emailed me saying that the last few times she asking me if I was going to continue with membership I haven’t given her an answer. She trying to finalize everything, so am I? If I don’t, it’s OK. In other words, “we really don’t want you”. Well, I’ve been very hurt so to me she can squirm a bit. That really isn’t like me at all. Should she confront me in person, I’m thinking I’ll just say “yes” and then at the board meeting say how I’ve truly enjoyed it for the past years I’ve done it, but I haven’t enjoyed it these past few months so I think they need to look for someone else to do membership. But in the meantime, I will not let leave the new president high and dry. I will continue to add people to the website as I’ve always done and continue to maintain the mail list as I always have done. Wouldn’t surprise me if they had Greg doing it. Well, the things I do, he’s not going to do. Not my problem……

Rita – have you ever tried giving him (the cat/dog) peanut butter?

Margaret – yea for no water. I know what a hassle that can be

Got Vince to start wrapping Denise’s presents. Honestly, sometimes that man! We still have two more to do, but we’ve run out of wrapping paper. I’ll need to get at least one more roll tomorrow. Also, I’ve decided to get another case of the Goldfish that I’ll put in Denise’s favor bag. I only need three more, but we can use the rest for the pool party.

Yvonne – yes, beware the ides of March. Personally, I prefer pi day myself

I agree that “temping” is a great way to go when looking for a job. I know that’s how Vince’s company got a lot of their employees.

Sat here: did Denise Austin’s Power Zone DVD. Not bad. The plan for tomorrow will do some Wii balance games. Since I take the Actonel on Sundays, doing this will keep me upright.

Barbie – WooHoo for Jake (and you)

Had to buy one more roll of wrapping paper for Denise and bought the Goldfish. Now making sugar cookies for Vince. The Swedish Fish came from Amazon, so really the favor bags are finished. I just need to put the cookies in the diaper/napkins but I really shouldn't do that until we're ready to leave.

Beth – this is the first time I’ve ever heard of red or black kale. To me, kale is kale. I didn’t know there were different varieties of it

Rebecca – you poor dear. Moving is such a hassle. But you are strong, you’ll do fine.

Went to the Hickory Community Theater. The show was pretty good, at least I thought so.

Michele in NC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    :)
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Allie you're right not to wait a month to put together the patio furniture. Best to open it and inventory it right away, in case any missing parts or damage in transit.
    NYKaren, yes it is Spring here on the coast, mild temps and flowers blooming everywhere. Hang in there!
    Lisa gratifying for the chiefs to have such confidence in you, farsighted of you to bring them such proposals. Brava!
    pip ah, thanks!
    Barbie thanks for letting us know Jake's good news!
    Katla "parachute" yoga?
    Connie ((hugs))
    Carol you and your BnL added to the list.
    Kim ditto what Tracey said. Your words for the past 2 years must have included resourceful, energetic and determined.
    Vicki ditto what Carol and Evelyn said about waiting 5 years
    Heather twirly skirts and AF beer hooray!
    Beth I haven't tried it yet, but have heard that to make kale salad (with blue cheese, walnuts and cranberries ;>) you remove the ribs and massage the leaves to soften them. You can only add so much kale to soup, or eat so much sauteed Kale and garlic... ;) Your adventures with the new food boxes are setting the best possible example for your son! Kale brownies? :sick: yuck!
    Lanette my parents were city-not-farm folk but had the same attitudes about pain management. Depression era folk didn't have much $$ for meds, nor were there so many available. As for me, I don't much like tylenol or aleve, aspirin is my go-to, in extreme cases an Advil.
    Suebdew picking up pecan branches doesn't sound like nearly as much fun as golf, too bad about the wind.
    Rebecca moving again? :sad:
    Michele safe travels.
    Machka (((hugs)))

Still struggling to meet March SWSY, meditation, knee exercise and procrastination plan B goals.
    Listening to FM Odyssey on local radio station, heard program "mourning the time change." Aha! That's it! Blame it on the time change. Means I'll just naturally do better within a matter of weeks. Whew!

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    walk one more step 16/31, 60 g protein 15/31, rx/vits 15/31, meditate 10/31, knee exercises 10/31, SWSY 1/8, play with Tumble 11/31, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 11/31.
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD!
    03/16 LT: SWSY-N MT: Dog group-Y S: Finish Woodland Management notebook-N
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Good Morning

Barbie brilliant news about Jake, you must be very relieved.

M in Oz so sorry to hear your hubby's seizure, but thank goodness you were with him and able to give him first aid. My husband had catoplexy which caused him to collapse whenever he got too emotional about anything, and although he could still hear everything going on around him, he was "paralysed" and couldn't move his body until he came around which could take anything from a few seconds to nearly 5 minutes. I lived in fear of him hurting himself when I was at work.

Heather your grandkids are so cute.

Rebecca good luck with finding a place to live.

Well I'd better start my exercises, I've noticed the amount I'm eating the last few days I need to exercise more! Also need to make better choices and stop buying high calorie snacks!!

Have a good Sunday

Love to all

Viv UK
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Machka (((Hug)))
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,370 Member
    Options
    What a fright you had Machka, but your training must really have helped. Big (((HUGS))). <3

NYKAREN - so glad you all made an effort for the party. The venue sounds great!

This morning DH did a PB on the elliptical and I was spurred on by that to see if I could better my PB of last week. I beat it by 59 seconds!!! :drinker: Resistance level 15, 100 calories in 12.21 seconds.

Had a hard job getting to sleep last night. I was stupidly annoyed by DDIL's mother suggesting I should be more flexible with my exercise regime. It probably annoyed me because it has a bit of truth in it, but, for me, if I don't stick to a routine, then all my good intentions crumble. It gets done what needs to be done. I think of it like a job - exercise, write, eat lunch, bonus exercise. If I let it slide then nothing gets done and I get fat and depressed. Plus I really enjoy it. :DB):D
    It does mean I have to turn down things I might enjoy, but I do make exceptions for really important things and if I had a job I couldn't just take time off. My health and my writing are my first priority.

Lots of love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,821 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~ Top O' the Mornin to ya...
    im 1/2 Irish and taking some of the elderly ladies here down to our local Irish restaurant for corned beef and cabbage..me I will see if they have something different. today is my sweet DGD 11th Birthday.I cant believe it xoxoxox I am taking her a week from thursday to get her hair cut.. that is my present but would like to get her something today but dont know what.. she is an only child and gets basically anything she needs or wants..maybe a little birthday cake and some flowers?
    spring is coming I can hear the birds singing outside.. just love it...
    I did take the patio set out of the box and it looks like its all there,but gee wish there were directions with it lol
    Ill figure it out im pretty mechanically inclined.Trudy and I will put it together we are a pretty good team...
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Machka - Oh no! I’m glad you knew what to do! I’m so sorry to hear seizures have appeared. I hope this does not set his recovery back.

Okie in the TX Hill Country