WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2019

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,029 Member
    Options
    Machka: I totally agree with you. Planning is an essential part of realising one's dreams. Making a written plan and following it, with regular reviews is my method of choice, and using a to do list keeps me on track. Later: Progressive lenses? I think we call them varifoacals here. I find them very useful. I also have my glasses coated with reactolite so that I don't have to keep changing to sunglasses.

☘️ Irish Terri

I think varifocal is one name for them.

I'll have two pair - one will be "normal" progressives that have the three levels: distance, medium, and reading. The other will be "desk" progressives (which I've got now) which will have three levels: computer screen, keyboard/paper, reading. But my new "desk" progressives will be adjusted to my current vision so I can actually see my computer screen. Right now everything I'm typing is slightly blurry.

The "normal" progressives will be transitional as well, so they'll go dark in bright light and clear inside.

I'm really looking forward to being able to see again!!

M in Oz

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    NYKAREN So glad you have a chance to unwind now. I think your students are very fortunate to have someone so conscientious & devoted to teach & critique.

Heather Your morning run sounds peaceful. What a great start to your day! Enjoy your time with your friends. You are making memories, a gift you can draw on for the rest of your life.

Karen NCRawGirl Welcome! Thank you for joining us. We are a very chatty bunch & welcome newbies. Be sure to bookmark this thread. Look for Barbie's link to a new thread at the end of each month. There are a bunch of Karens here, so please identify yourself with more than "Karen" to help keep us straight.

Karen in Virginia
  • oldfatso2
    oldfatso2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone!
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    <3
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,384 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday, ladies!

First, I see lots of newbies here - welcome!

Lisa - I am not surprised you did so well in getting your degree in communications. You are a very, very talented writer. When you are working on grants, does your brain do/compose other writing in the background? Glad to hear your son is doing well in school and his kitty has found a welcome home. And Egg has the house back all to herself. B)

Barbie and Ginger
    - what a great idea getting that 911 information accessible to first responders. Think I'll do a quick version today and stick it under a magnet on the fridge at least listing our meds, insurance, immunizations, doctors. Barbie, your flowers are lovely!

Rebecca - that close rental sounds perfect. Fingers crossed it all works out for you!

Michele
    , I thought of you this week and your parting of the ways with your Newcomer duties. I've decided to resign from the local advisory board for Area Agency on Aging. The monthly meetings used to have discussions/speakers regarding programs and projects for seniors that were super good. The group has a new chairperson and executive director and has veered way off our duties as reflected in the by-laws. Rather than complain and throw a monkey wrench into this gals newfound passion, lol, it's best that I step away so they can get someone new in the group that doesn't mind templates with "action plans, tasks, small groups...." and all of that organizational stuff I was glad to get away from when I retired. DH looked at the chairlady's last email and list of tasks for the group members and said it looked like she wanted everyone to have a part-time job. I was considering resigning anyhow as it didn't live up to my expectations, so this nailed it.

Heather - what kind of new vacuum are you getting? An upright or one with a canister/hose? I really need a new one. Glad you were able to have a good visit with your cancer friend. Sorry to hear you took a spill - and hope you and your DH were able to avoid the crud. Cute photo of Max by the way.

Love seeing everyone's photos by the way, your grand kids are growing up too quickly. And all are adorable. <3

I saw a discussion on food budgets this week so took a look at ours. We spend anywhere from $600 to $750 per month, and probably $100 of that is for coffee pods, and we go through 6 or 8 per day, which I buy in bulk and wait for sales then load up. I'm grateful we can afford it right now, and considering how much coffee we drink in our house, it's probably less than what a person spends getting one Starbucks coffee every day. Also included in that food total is my lunches out and take-out I grab every few weeks.

Also have been cutting way back on the internet lately... have found a couple new-to-me mystery writers. Harlan Coben and Patricia Cornwell. The local thrift shops have lots of their books, in hardback, for $.50 to $1 each. So I can buy, read, and return them to be resold. They are both prolific writers. Anyhow, reading is supposed to be better for our brains than social media so I'm doing my part, lol.

I also heard back from MFP about the javascript problem... they said they are working on it, it's not just me, they've had other complaints as well.

I'm back on the SWSY weight routine 2 to 3 times per week, and happily left shoulder is getting better and better each day.

That's it for now.

Lanette
    Rainy SW WA State
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,384 Member
    Options
    Katla - how did DH's colonoscopy go? Wasn't that this week? You might have posted and I missed it. Hope he's OK. <3

Lanette
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,029 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Review ... (Distances include cycling + walking + a bit of rowing)
    Mar-15 … 489.8 km (304.3 miles) = 38 hours 4 min
    Apr-15 … 491.94 km (305.6 miles) = 43 hours 6 min
    May-15 … 361.81 km (224.8 miles) = 35 hours 50 min
    Jun-15 … 569.53 km (353.9 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    Jul-15 … 230.7 km (143.35 miles) = 32 hours 45 min
    Aug-15 … 211.3 km (131.3 miles) = 28 hours 8 min
    Sep-15 … 306.7 km (190.6 miles) = 35 hour 2 min
    Oct-15 … 441.82 km (274.5 miles) = 47 hours 43 min
    Nov-15 … 660.21 km (410.23 miles) = 60 hours 41 min
    Dec-15 … 499.91 km (282.8 miles) = 54 hours 56 min
    Jan-16 … 864.79 km (537.35 miles) = 65 hours 36 min
    Feb-16 … 470.53 km (292.4 miles) = 40 hours 39 min
    Mar-16 … 917.73 km (570.2 miles) = 66 hours 13 min
    Apr-16 … 417.83 km (259.6 miles) = 40 hours 23 min
    May-16 … 267.09 km (165.9 miles) = 36 hours 10 min
    Jun-16 … 552.1 km (343 miles) = 54 hours 48 min
    Jul-16 … 709 km (440.5 miles) = 60 hours 41 minutes
    Aug-16 … 775.9 km (482.1 miles) = 54 hours 52 minutes
    Sep-16 … 371.3 km (230.7 miles) = 32 hours 20 min
    Oct-16 … 649 km (403.3 miles) = 49 hours 46 min
    Nov-16 … 403 km (250.4 miles) = 52 hours 16 min
    Dec-16 … 511.05 km (317.55 miles) = 52 hours 2 min
    Jan-17 … 741.9 km (461.0 miles) = 70 hours 3 min
    Feb-17 … 600.5 km (373.1 miles) = 57 hours 30 min
    Mar-17 … 1113.2 km (691.7 miles) = 78 hours 25 min
    Apr-17 … 1181.9 km (734.4 miles) = 76 hours 45 min
    May-17 … 426.6 km (265.1 miles) = 39 hours 21 min
    Jun-17 … 575.7 km (357.7 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    Jul-17 … 714 km (443.7 miles) = 52 hours 23 min
    Aug-17 … 475.8 km (295.6 miles) = 38 hours 41 min
    Sep-17 … 455.5 km (283 miles) = 41 hours 25 min
    Oct-17 … 647.1 km (402.1 miles) = 57 hours 19 min
    Nov-17 … 427.0 km (265.3 miles) = 50 hours 4 min
    Dec-17 … 553.5 km (343.9 miles) = 52 hours 12 min
    Jan-18 … 590.2 km (366.7 miles) = 57 hours 49 min
    Feb-18 … 826.9 km (513.8 miles) = 57 hours 35 min
    Mar-18 … 582.01 km (361.6 miles) = 50 hours 11 min
    Apr-18 … 176.23 km (109.5 miles) = 29 hours 47 min
    May -18 … 167.6 km (104.1 miles) = 29 hours 08 min
    June-18 … 349.9 km (217.4 miles) = 36 hours 58 minutes
    July-18 ... 324.2 km (201.5 miles) = 24 hours 26 minutes
    Aug-18 ... 210.1 km (130.6 miles) = 25 hours 59 minutes
    Sep-18 ... 261.7 km (162.6 miles) = 25 hours 11 minutes
    Oct-18 ... 230.8 km (143.4 miles) = 30 hours 15 minutes
    Nov-18 ... 216.8 km (134.7 miles) = 30 hours 3 minutes
    Dec-18 ... 285.2 km (177.2 miles) = 37 hours 49 minutes
    Jan-19 ... 241.6 km (150.1 miles) = 27 hours 2 minutes
    Feb-19 ... 175.5 km (109 miles) = 19 hours 8 minutes
    Mar-19 ... 170.3 km (105.8 miles) = 28 hours 21 minutes

Goal: More than March.

Monday, 1 April 2019 … 5.5 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 1.7 km rowing + 4 flights of stairs
    Tuesday, 2 April 2019 … 5.5 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 1.0 km rowing + 6 flights of stairs
    Wednesday, 3 April 2019 … 1.8 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 16 flights of stairs
    Thursday, 4 April 2019 … 2.8 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 3.2 km rowing + 14 flights of stairs
    Friday, 5 April 2019 … 1.8 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 17 flights of stairs
    Saturday, 6 April 2019 … 0.0 km walking + 16.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Sunday, 7 April 2019 … 3.9 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 3.6 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs + weights

2019 Monthly April
    Walking Distance (km): 21.3
    Walking Time (min): 271.5
    Cycling Distance (km): 16.0
    Cycling Time (min): 67.0
    Flights Stairs Climbed Number: 57.0
    Flights Stairs Climbed Time (min): 45.6
    Rowing Distance (km): 9.5
    Rowing Time (min): 58.4
    Other Distance: 0.0
    Other Time: 10.0 (weights)

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 46.8
    Total Distance (miles): 29.1
    Total Time (min): 452.5
    Total Time (hr): 7:32:30

Machka in Oz
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Lanette, like your choice of authors. My sister turned me on to Harlan Coben. What a treat.
    Barbi, love your flower bed, a beautiful burst of spring.
    Karen UK, I love planting in pots and moving color around,too.

Today going to a brunch at a friends house with a group of gals to celebrate the life of a friend who died this winter. Will be sad but wonderful to share stories.

Betsy in N W Washington
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,755 Member
    Options
    im back and as usual Tom and I tag teamed and got his breakfast in him as he sleep eats, keeps his eyes closed while we feed him, sort of reverting back to babyhood ..but Tom appreciates all I do for him..
    just finished breakfast, and will go try my had at putting the LED lights back the correct way.. and then change into different clothes ,because im in my junk clothes now.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,785 Member
    Options
    Barbie - thank you for the line dancing info. I’ve asked my daughter if she would like to go with me when I get back to work. It’s a fair distance from where I live but we could travel together.

Rebecca - I don’t blame you for backing out of the other rental. They should have had that in the specs already not springing it last minute. Hope you get the new one it sounds nice.

Heather - it sounds like a lovely trip. Happy you didn’t injure yourself when you fell.

Pat - sounds like a nice day! I noticed a lot of restaurants are starting to put calories on their menus. I think I heard the government here in Canada at least was trying to enforce it.

Allie - I had to smile at how you are using up your bird seed. I picture you saying, Ha I beat the system! 😂

Lanette - I had to comment on your coffee pod, my husband was using 4-5 coffee pods per day and he only liked the Tim Horton’s which were pricier. When I lost my job I spent the money on a reusable pod and regular coffee in a tin. It has saved us a lot of money. He said he actually likes the coffee better. Just a suggestion if you have a Keurig.
    I have a thrift store within walking distance that sells books at .50 per inch for paperbacks. It was .25 but they raised the price for the first time in 15 years recently. Hardcovers are 1.00. I do the same but them, read them and return them to donate. I did this week though get a library card.

I had the Grands come visit yesterday with their Mom which was nice. Lauryn, Michaela and I went shopping for some groceries and Michaela was able to pick out some big girl panties. She has been having potty boot camp this week and has gotten fairly successful, Lauryn though my that panties with some of her favourite characters on them would encourage her to pee on the potty. She has an accident and peed on Elsa she didnt seem that upset by it, but while at Costco she did ask to go potty. She came out and I was in the line to pay she was so excited and giving me high fives. A couple of other customers high fixed her too. She was so proud.

I ended up with a cold and fever last evening, I hope it doesn’t last long, I have a very busy week planned!

Tracey In Edmonton where the temperature is supposed to hit +13 today!
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Lanette - Thanks for the compliment, and no, there's no sub-level in this particular brain for continuing to work on anything subsconsciously while writing for work. Writing of any sort is fully absorbing for me, and grants, when done right, are always storytelling with a purpose. The detail level is such that it often gets to the point that ALL other parts of my brain shut down. I've looked up five hours later and realized I haven't eaten or drank anything or even gone potty for the whole five hours, when working on some of the more complex grants.

That said, when I'm functioning at my usual normal level, there's some form of writing going on in my head all the time that I'm not working. My recent bout of writer's block is much like constipation, in that all this stuff is going in, and nothing is coming out, and it makes me mentally ill. Not homicidal, I hasten to add, just that sick, horrible feeling you get when you're physically constipated for days, but it's my brain that's feeling yurky instead of my body.

I wrote three whole sentences this morning, which means that the blockage is beginning to break free (just to keep beating the metaphor to death), but I'm not fully functioning as a writer outside of work yet. Trying to be patient with myself... not my strong suit. Writing here helps.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in Arkansas
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,620 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    stat for the day yesterday:

spin bike, different kind single leg, standing, leg crossover, 1st time- 55min, 82aw, 64ar, 149mhr, 128ahr, 11.3mi= 497c

This is what I’m working on
    https://www.facebook.com/HappinessHeroes/videos/2298300180190533/
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Monarae could you be recomposing your body? shifting from fat to muscle? Sometimes measurements tell a truer story than the number on the scale.
    Janetr have you ever heard a "tuba Christmas" Back in Boise a group of mostly tubas but a few other horns played Christmas Carols in the Capitol Rotunda. Amazingly moving. Something to watch for early next December. Dang, gal, that grand daughter looks just like you! Gorgeous!
    Laura in LA looks like you've found your motivation mojo. Two walks and an exercise class? You go gal!
    Barbie would you share the every opportunity to be active podcast link? I'm intrigued by adding those little things that take almost no time... Thanks for sharing your 911 form project. Found http://www.vialoflife.com/ and will add that to my to do list, both for us and for our responders.
    ginny in OH extra walk and detour to make 5 miles, yardwork and awesome steps, Woo HOO!
    Beth I was channeling you yesterday while prepping artichokes for steaming. Freddie asks $3.50 each, but sold me 2 "frost kissed" ones for a dollar. Happy dance!
    Heather "how good (exercise) makes you feel..." So why don't I remember this? Felt great yesterday after meditating and doing knee exercises. Should have siezed the moment and done SWSY, but... Loved hearing about your pre-dawn York run.
    Kim "IF you stood up straight..." Ouch! Gotta remember to do that ;}
    pip What's a HELIX machine? Single leg standing leg crossover? Sounds challenging!
    Dana hooray for the 1.4!
    Macha congrats on the kg gone, :heart: that beach! How far is that from your home?
    Ginger, great burn! I'm hesitant to put SSN on any website, even CareZone... but need to make up a Medical History sheet like you recommend. What pained you Friday night?
    Viv what a scary event! Agree with KJ need to get it checked, vertigo is so debilitating.
    KJ hand washing dishes is meditative for me ;)
    Kate in UK Congrats on your first 5K ParkRun. 1st in your age group? Well done!
    NYKaren, ah thanks Google Docs training info. Thanks that helps me understand. Good teacher indeed!
    Lisa which group is the lucky recipient of your quilt? Like you I wasn't really ready for university after highschool, but wasn't wise enough to know it. Dropped out after 4 years. :P Ten years later went back at night while working full time. In 2 years completed a BS in Transportation and Physical Distribution/Logistics management, likewise graduating Summa Cum Laude. Still very proud that I went back and did it.
    Carol we don't have a microwave so I keep my tea in a thermos. Hoping your BnL can listen and accept your wise counsel.
    Tracey I hope you find a line dancing class. It's a fun way to burn calories, reduce stress, and meet some wonderful people. Hmm, perhaps your wedding invitation design could morph into Kim's recommended "outside hustle"? "Potty boot camp" LOL!
    allie happy for your lovely day.
    Betsy "walking...on the beach...and add a dog... is about as good as it gets" Amen, sister!
    Rebecca fingers, toes, eyes all crossed for the nearby home. You might even get the same deer visiting!
    Pat in OH, so jealous of both your sunny 70's and nearby TJs ;}
    Karen in UK, love the triangular flower bed and its contents.
    Lanette "rather than complain... best that I step away..." how wise. Also best to invest your time in what brings you joy, rather than an unwanted part-time job ;)
    Welcome Karen NCRawgirl!
    Welcome oldfatso2, please let us know what you'd like to be called and your general locale.

Stress reducers like KJ when angry, somthing vigorous (fast dancing, moving stuff around, SWSY); when anxious, something calming (meditating, combing Tumble); When overwhelmed, just one tiny thing off the list; When sad, singing. Last Saturday I was scared a couple of times on the hike, and really missed my BFF who had encouraged me to hike. Suddenly wanted to have a good cry. Haven't done it yet, but think it will help release some blocked stuff.

Yesterday the atmospheric river flowed in with too much rain and wind for dog group, spent most of day in kitchen preppping vegs, then curled up next to Joe and the fire (yay) and the bottle of red (boo). Warm sweet afternoon but 350 over on calories and 4000 low on steps.

Whoops, where did the time go? Time to brave the river and GO!

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    walk one more step 3/30, 60 g protein 3/30, rx/vits 3/30, meditate 2/30, knee exercises 2/30, SWSY 0/30, play with Tumble 3/30, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 2/30.
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD!
    04/06 LT: SWSY-N MT: comb Tumble-Y ST: artichoke and beet veg prep-Y
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,620 Member
    Options
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SpoTV236fnc
    Helix machine not that model but u get the idea