WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2019

Options

Replies

• teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Margaret, I also am thinking and praying for you and your son. It makes me sad to know the situation was handled so ineptly. Take good care of yourself. Hugs.

Betsy in NW Washington
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,102 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Lanette the problem was there was a warrant for his arrest because the misunderstood what he was saying when he was ill. The powers that be took it as a threat. So yes legally the police were doing there jobs as outlined. What I want to advocate for is take him to the hospital first because he has a life threatening condition and then arrest him once he is well if you still need to. As I said because of my intervention the charges got dropped and they are going to try to get him moved today.Otherwise they would have kept him for several days and possibly released him back to the streets without sending him to the hospital. Because of them his recovery will be set back at least a week. It will also make his long term recovery harder. It was not a 911 call his social workers had called for back up. They expected the police to help get him to the hospital. Police have been known to help transport mental ill patients. They were upset too. Not as much as me because the did not witness what I did. They were outside as this happened.

They do this for someone who is stabbed, shot, or having a heart attack. Awareness of mental illness needs to come a long way. Again I know the officer was trying to be reassuring when he said my son would seek help when he was ready. He was seeking help. He had help. What he has is a major life threatening condition and needed to go to the hospital !

I have sent out what I wrote here to select friends and my minister. It is easier to send the story then to constantly repeat it because that is traumatising too. I also have a call into NAMI. Trying to be proactive I find helpful too. It helps me understand why the students of school shootings became so vocal. They felt they had to do something to see a change, so someone else would never have to go through what they went through.

:heart: Margaret
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,818 Member
    Options
    Margaret - Hugs to you and your son. I agree with everyone else, mental health awareness is not what it needs to be.

Allie- Hugs for you, it must be so hard to see your DFIL this way.

I think there was more, but I can’t remember now.

I am going to my daughters today to meet with the photographer that took our family pictures and see what kind of package I can get. Then my daughter and I are going through the lists of things still required for the wedding.

Yesterday I went for my election training and I feel confident it will be an interesting day. I applied for another job and will be looking here shortly to see if there is anything else I can find to apply for.

Have a great day
    Tracey In Edmonton
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rita: Congrats on meeting your March goals!!! :flowerforyou:

Snowflake: The only advice DH was given by the GI doctor was to stick to the fodmap diet. :star:

(((Allie))) Colonoscopy prep is miserable but needed. I hope the doctor finds that your colon is healthy. :flowerforyou:

Lala: Welcome. :smiley:

(((Margaret))) I would file a complaint against the police. They clearly need better training. So sorry for the trauma for your son and for you. :broken_heart:

I have a doctor’s appointment this morning at 8, just over half an hour. It is close and I’m not worried about travel time.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Margaret

Oh No! What happened to your son...and you...is heart-wrenching.

I wish you had a recording of the entire episode. Your poor son. I have mentally ill people in my own family who have needed involuntary hospitalization, and this scenario is unacceptable. The police officer did not actually have to arrest your son and take him to jail. An officer trained in mental illness would have been present while your son was awakened, observed his behavior, and made the decision to take your son to the hospital. Then, if your son was of sound enough mind to understand, he would have been served with the warrant for his arrest in the hospital, pending treatment. Your son would have had time to retain an attorney to handle it from there.

I am SO sorry you have gone through this. The police officer who made the decision to arrest your sleeping son without assessing his mental stability was dead wrong.

Karen in VIrginia
  • tlth2003
    tlth2003 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The 19/5 intermittent time restricted eating plan is a helpful tool for me.

What is 19/5?
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options

Hi Gals,

Lisa – The mimosa is native in hot humid conditions, and doesn’t love cold, there is a cold hardy variety sold by EH Wilson. It should do ok once it is fully established, but you may always want to protect the trunk just before the snow hits… So what you want to do now is one of two things, decide that you want a Mimosa bush – in which case you will let all the new shoots grow and it will be a big shruby thing (this might be great as you could keep it to 6 feet and cover the whole thing each winter) OR let the straightest sturdy-ist shoot grow up as the new trunk and shape it as it grows.

Kim from N. California
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies.

Barbie - yeah I've actually moved to Colorado 4 times. Life keeps taking me away and I just keep coming back. I used to love in Washington state; it's probably my next favorite state. 🙂

Lisa - thanks. I haven't found weight loss to be slower but I work really hard to keep up my NEAT. I'm always trying to carry the heavy things, walk a lot, and just be very active in general.

Lala in Denver
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Today will be fun. We just had another blizzard last night, although it didn't seem very blizzardy at my house, just frigid and snowy.

I'm recovering from a migraine I acquired yesterday. It's usually an at least 3 day process but so far today isn't really debilitating.

I should go on a hike, go audit some gas stations (my job), and go work on the bus build. But honestly the roads are icy and I kinda just feel like staying home.

Hope you all are warm and having a lovely day!

Lala in Denver
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,743 Member
    Options
    Llll
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,830 Member
    Options
    Well ladies I'm home.
    1 small benign polyp and diverticulosis which I already knew about...
    Because of dads colon cancer I will be every 5 yrs..
    DFIL didn't eat this morning..and they will try beef stew this afternoon..he will still drink fluids which is good..
    Tom supposed to be going to Florida next weds he might cancel the trip for right now.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,102 Member
    Options
    Katla I had a long talk with a good friend she agrees I should write a letter of complaint to Chief of Police. I did not hear his Miranda Rights given. Unfortunately I did not have my own recording. They were wearing body cams. I am going to give myself two days to get my own thinking process. They also pushed me out of the room too.

I know I will have to be careful how I word the letter. His medical condition should have been evaluated first. That is what we were there for. I have 60 days and need to send it by certified letter.

Thank all of your for your wonderful support.

Perhaps I can start with given his medical condition and was asleep in his bed why wasn't a doctor called to see if he was in a state where he could understand his rights. We had paperwork to do this very thing. Social workers were not allowed to be present. He was in the throes of mental illness and I kept saying he is ill and needs to go to the hospital. The police office did not have permission to enter his home. He threatened me with obstruction of justice and bashing down the door when I said he is ill and needs to be taken to the hospital.

I think what I wrote is a good place to start.

:heart: Margaret

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Oh, Margaret. I am so sorry you experienced this, and I am so thankful that you are telling the story. We need to talk about these incidents involving mental illness, no matter how painful to tell or to hear. For so long, we have let mental illness hide in the shadows, and we can't address the issues as a community, until we know what the issues are.

I will be praying for you and your son. Thank you for taking him in and providing him a home.

Much love,
    Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,976 Member
    Options
    Sitting at Doctor office waiting for DH to be called. He had as colonoscopy 2 weeks ago where They found where removed 3 polyps. These had to go for biopsy and today is to go over the results. Hate the waiting.

RV Rita
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    tlth2003 wrote: »
    The 19/5 intermittent time restricted eating plan is a helpful tool for me.

What is 19/5?

19/5 means that you "fast" for 19 hours and eat all of your allotted calories in a 5 hour window. People have different combinations of 24, but the principle is still the same -- take in all of the calories you are going to for the day in a small window of time.

Felicia, not an intermittent faster, but has read up on it quite a bit
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Margaret, the idea of a letter to the chief of police is great, you might want to have it read over by someone "in the know" social worker? lawyer? to be sure you both write it in a way that will not get his defenses up (we never hear when our defenses are up) and that you do not give up any legal rights you might need to draw on later. This is not an issue that is done, and while we are all sending good thoughts that your son and the police do not have to have issues again, you just never know. I hate the idea of "lawyering up" all the time, it has become part of the world we live in and we need to be cognizant of that. Also although the officers were wearing body cams that is not a guarantee that they were on.

Sending hugs,
    Kim
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Allie: I’m glad the colonoscopy is over with. :star:

(((Margaret))): I’m still angry with the way your son was treated by the police and the mishandling done to him by them. :grumble: I am glad to hear that you’re working through the problem with the support of people who know how things should be done. :heart:

Rita: I hope your DH’s colonoscopy news is all good. :flowerforyou:

We’re having a quiet day at home watching the Columbia River. The water is deep and will likely be deep for weeks. So far the Bonneville Power authority is doing a great job of releasing water a fast as they can without causing damage to property down river from the dam. I expect the river will be running deep for a long time.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon