WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2019

Options

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Lanette, alas, no, I am the most cursory of garden dilettantes. My favorite gardening activity is cruising the seed catalogs. The devotion, consistency required to weed, water and maintain a garden is just really too much like work! That having been said, I did really enjoy eating lettuce all summer from a little frame on the shady side of our house, some snow peas from random spots around, and baby carrots all winter from a little raised bed on the sunny side. The beets came up but never bulbed, didn't pick the radishes fast enough and the arugula I started, didn't, but the seeds I spilled last fall came up last month. This year I'm adding mustard, brussels sprouts and persian cucumbers along with tomatoes and the qinoa... maybe some haricots, a casaba, and uh oh, you see how it goes. Spring hits and I get carried away...

Kim sound advice to Margaret. Well done.

Was grumpy most of the day as the rain came back [sigh]. Hoping tomorrow is dry, really want to put out the lettuce, snow pea and mustard seedlings.

Falling asleep....zzzzzz

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    walk one more step 8/30, 60 g protein 11/30, rx/vits 10/30, meditate 4/30, knee exercises 4/30, SWSY 0/30, play with Tumble 8/30, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 7/30.
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD!
    04/11 LT: put together mini-greenhouse & repot cukes-Y MT: make bean soup-Y ST: Call forester about Totoro tree-Y
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,435 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Up to page 26.

All packed ready to leave for my Pamper weekend with the girls from crochet group. Some retail therapy is on the cards, too. 😂

☘️ Terri
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    barbara. I am an aspirational gardener. I do wish to spend more time at it but my busiest work season comes right at planting time and I’ve lost my mojo. I sure love the catalogues though. And will keep to containers most likely herbs and tomatoes.

Busy weekend ahead for us.

NYKAREN
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,736 Member
    Options
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Options
    On gardens - I have a brown thumb. And lots of deer. And I'm petrified of snakes. So, no garden for me. I don't even weed the flower beds around the house. I found a coral snake on two different occasions in the front yard. That was enough for me to be done. I have a guy come clean out the beds once a year or so. We have nut grass in the front yard beds (not sure of the official name, around here they just call it nut grass) so it gets bit bad. My solution is to have hubs weedeat it below the level of the rock edge and you can't see it from the street ;) .

Speaking of weed eating, I need to mow. I don't think it is going to happen today....supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow morning, so maybe Sunday or Monday. I may see if a neighbors son wants to earn a bit of money by coming to weed eat for me so hubs doesn't have to do it as soon as he gets home again. I don't weed eat. Nothing that doesn't start with a switch or a key for me.

We are having a crawfish boil/fish fry tomorrow afternoon at a neighbors house. I am going to help get ready for it late this afternoon. I have made a batch of cranberry wine vodka lime slushies for us to day drink while we prepare. We'll have fun and get the prep work done while we do it. I think we are going to set everything up in their garage and if the rain moves out we will move it outside tomorrow. I dropped off the fries and hushpuppies yesterday and will take the paper goods down with me this evening so I can stroll in tomorrow with my water and look like I'm not contributing at all. That will start some tongues a wagging. Did you see her, she came in and didn't even bring anything. I love to start gossip over silly stuff.

Have a great day ladies-

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,781 Member
    Options
    Okie ... shame on you! :D
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all,

Slept like a baby last night... nearly 7 hours, most unusual for me. Used the A/C just as a fan, as the temperature dropped near freezing here, snuggled under two blankets, heavenly!

Margaret - still thinking of you and your son. I hope he's home, safe and doing well by now. I know this will echo for him, and for you for months, and hope you can both make your peace with it by pushing law enforcement to make changes for those who struggle like he does.

My own struggles are minor, yesterday was pain all day in the knee, possibly due to the weather changes, I don't know, but frustrating. Plus a minor, nagging, fairly embarrassing health issue that just will not heal, and it nags at me.

So, today is our half-day at work, and as soon as I'm done, I'm on the riding mower getting the couple acres around the house beaten into submission. We never got a lengthy, hard freeze, so the ticks are already bad here. The deer bring them in, and lengthy grass makes them a menace. After Mary's struggles with Lyme disease, I'm wary of them. Here, they carry Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, which is no joke, either...

But, for now, it's work-time.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • okiewoman510
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Okie ... shame on you! :D

o:)
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Rrrrrr
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Thith2003: 19/5 is 19 hours of fasting and 5 hours to eat your allowed calories. :star:

Lala in Denver: What is NEAT? :huh: Last year we bought a gently used older RV. While we were out enjoying state parks we spotted a yellow school bus that had been converted to an RV. I remember noticing a chimney for a small wood stove, but didn’t get to see other details. It sounds like an interesting project & I hope you have a good time remodeling and then using your bus. Pictures of the project would be fun to see. :bigsmile:

Allie: I’m glad you made it through your colonoscopy and don’t need to do that again for 5 years. :flowerforyou:

Margaret: What you wrote is excellent. I am appalled at the poor judgement of the police officers who mistreated your son. Why were they there in the first place? If they were there because they’d been asked to help with transport, why would they behave so aggressively? I hope they learn a lesson and never treat another person the way they treated your son. :noway:

RV Rita: I hope your DH’s colonoscopy biopsy results are good. :heart:

Rebecca: You look lovely. :star:

Janetr: Your granddaughter is gorgeous, like her grandmother. :flowerforyou:

Carol in GA: Good luck helping your BnL. :flowerforyou:

Okie: My dad and mom used to have crawfish boils. They were great fun. I enjoyed catching the crawfish, too. They used pickling spice as their boil spices. Yum. :star:

Lisa: You are wise to be wary of ticks. Safety first! :heart:

The river is deeper today than yesterday. Water is reaching the lower level of rock retaining wall. I know they need to put as much water through as they can, but I sure hope they are careful not to cause flooding. The Bonneville Power Administration is in charge of this for our area of the Columbia River.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,372 Member
    Options
    Dear Margaret - sending love as you proceed with this. Yes, do get legal advice. <3

A new kettle has just arrived and I'm waiting to unpack it. My one I bought just before we moved still works ok, but you have to empty all the water out every time you use it, or it tastes funny, plus the outside drives me crazy with limescale marks. I have to keep wiping it down. The new one is black outside, steel inside. I'm hoping it will be better. ;)

Yesterday a new top arrived that I had bought while I was having a sleepless morning in York. I think it will be really useful. It's a sapphire blue, (one of my jewel colours), in a faux wrap style, with chiffon sleeves with silver spots. I can see me wearing it for a lot of smart/casual occasions, especially with jeans.
    However, I do need to find some new pants. The ones I wear most of the time are about eight years old. Still good, but the black is beginning to fade. I HATE buying pants. HATE it. :sad:

Coping a bit better with comfort eating today. On track so far.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,099 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I called a lawyer who is helping us set up a disability trust for our son. I explained to him what happened and he is going to refer to someone who has more expertise. He will advise me where to go from here. It may be best to not even write the Police Chief but straight to a Civil Law Suit. I will trust his advice. Again I will ask for legal fees and accountability to see they get the training the need to handle such cases in the future. Money unless it is for additional help for our son is not my intent. Justice is not on the table either. It is what is right.

Writing here is helping me get my thoughts together so I am ready to proceed, so I can not thank you enough for your input and love you are sending me.

I did sleep better last night. Listening to 428 hertz meditation so helpful. One of close friends said when you go through trauma to engage your 5 senses in healthy ways.

Sight: flowers
    Hearing : meditation music
    Feel: Soft object to squeeze and hold
    Smell: lavender and clary sage
    Taste: good diet based on organics little to no sugar, watch cafenine, no alcohol

Exercise: walking cleaning

Good sleep: I did get 8 hours

:heart: Margaret

I do plan to go to Art in Bloom tomorrow to see the flower arrangements inspired by works of art
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,815 Member
    Options
    Barbara - I am with you on the gardening, to me it’s just another thing to tend. I have too much in my life I tend already I don’t need more. In spite of my feelings my husband brings home tonnes of leftover plants each year and then bi**hes when I don’t tend them like he thinks They require. I think if he wants them he can tend them, but we have the same argument each year.

Okie - I love your attitude. It’s funny how a week from now you’ll hear how little you contributed, but it will all be blown out of proportion and by the end of it you’ll have actually ended up causing trouble.

Lisa - hope your minor health issue clears soon for you. I had a friend with Lyme disease it is terrible.

Margaret - my heart hurts for what you and your son have gone through. I hope that you standing up and fighting this brings some much needed changes to at least your local police force.

I spent yesterday with my youngest, we met with the photographer and decided a plan of action for getting the photos from our family shoot. I was very concerned that if we didn’t act fast they would be gone. She is not concerned if we don’t order anything until after the wedding. After the photographer left we spend about 4 hours going through a list of what needs to be done yet before the wedding. I now have a lot of projects!

Today I am cleaning and rearranging my craft room. It is crowded, and just not a soothing place to be in there. I have some ideas I just need to get them all done. It should be a high calorie burn day.

Have a great day everyone.
    Tracey In Edmonton
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options

We are having a crawfish boil/fish fry tomorrow afternoon at a neighbors house. I am going to help get ready for it late this afternoon. I have made a batch of cranberry wine vodka lime slushies for us to day drink while we prepare. We'll have fun and get the prep work done while we do it. I think we are going to set everything up in their garage and if the rain moves out we will move it outside tomorrow. I dropped off the fries and hushpuppies yesterday and will take the paper goods down with me this evening so I can stroll in tomorrow with my water and look like I'm not contributing at all. That will start some tongues a wagging. Did you see her, she came in and didn't even bring anything. I love to start gossip over silly stuff.

Have a great day ladies-

>:):D:D:D

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Margaret

Writing is helping you organize your thoughts. You have identified some real areas of concern. I believe the police are on shaky ground. I would not write to the police chief because you don't want to give the police a chance to make up a story, which, unfortunately, they sometimes do when they are in the wrong. I am so glad you consulted with an attorney. I know you aren't in this for money, but I, for one, hope your mentally ill son is well-compensated for being brutalized by police. I feel so bad for your son and for you.

Karen in Virginia

• grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    lisa196922 wrote: »
    Ginger in Texas, your accountability post is impressive. I wanted to ask about the significance of tracking the fiber?
    I also thought it was nice that you have a group text with your siblings. I do that with my mom and oldest daughter we also have a lot fun with it. 😊

Lisa in Ohio

Lisa - After my last colonoscopy - my gastroenterologist recommended I get more Fiber. He recommended 30g. But, i find that hard to do. I aim for 25g. Fiber can also help slow the absorption of glucose from carbohydrates and keep my blood glucose level lower. And, it can help with weight loss. I found it very interesting to read about how fiber is processed and used by my body.

—Ginger-in-Texas
  • pipcd34
    Options
    8r9xa45hrd1q.jpeg
  • okiewoman510
    Options
    Grass is cut. Now it’s not hanging over my head the rest of the weekend.

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Margaret: You have an excellent plan for dealing with the police who mistreated your son and mishandled the situation. I hope they never do anything like that again to anyone needing help and understanding. :heart:

Pip: I love the photo. Is that your brother? :star:

Yoga today was delightful. Some of the snowbirds who winter in AZ were back and the room was full of people.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon