WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2019

Replies

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Good morning. Got some sleep so feel better today. Spending all my time with Riley as he gets settled in to his new home. My flower bds are filled with weeds but for some reason I don’t feel compelled to pull them.
    Have a great day. Anyone heard from MEG?
    SueBDew in TX
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Michele, I go to the Y and some people get their membership free through their medicare supplement. Medicare doesn’t pay for it but the supplement might. Ours doesn’t because it is Tricare for Life.
    Suebdew in TC
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    ✔️1. weigh in 59.1
    I think so 2. log all
    ✔️30 min exercise
    ✔️ 4. five minutes meditation
    ✔️ 5.Spend at least 2h on long term writing project
    x 6.produce at least 2-finished pages per day average long term
    ✔️ 7. Take care of at least 3 shorter (1 pagish) writing or administrative task/bill, (union work doesn't count) per week
    x 8. At least 15 min cleaning
    maybe 10.average 1100 calories net

• Overall Feeling :stressed
    • Log all: I think so
    • Exercise: simple walking
    • 1100 calories net average:maybe
    • Long term writing 2h : yes
    • produce at least 2 finished pages per day average long term writing project (from June 1 to June 10,): no
    •3 Short term writing/admin per week: yes on Monday

Grateful :
    1. lending library
    2. computer and phone are working
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    RV Rita I use milk sparingly if I want cereal to cupcakes I use almond milk.My stomach condition plus getting injured 2 yrs 3 months ago didn’t help it any.I also use on cereal when I want a treat vanilla soy milk on my cereal. Hubby can’t have milk any more either so coconut water/milks plus almond milk 🥛 works for us. I can’t use the Lactaid Some ingredients in it sends me to the restroom 🚽.
    Amber Tx
    Found a Perimenopause tracker app better than the regular period one from glow I hope 🤞. Glow kept telling me I’m pregnant lol nope just hop-ing a few months without one then bam it will have vengeance or it will mock me with spotting days 2 heavy. Just tells me full menopause will be here hopefully in a year or two.

Got my pantry organized finally to see what my weaknesses are y get it clean 🧼. Out of black cherry 🍒 juice for gout but plenty
    of canned sour cherries (pie kind). Trying new furniture polish,but noticed a white mark after where hubby put his cleaning wipe down so probably not a good idea to use it on the dinner table.

Dishes 🧹 cleaned,walking y chasing ball with JR y dancing with JR he’s changing up the workout 🏋️‍♀️, catching up on 30min Of Netflix movie that has me sucked in, heard from my Daughter she passed her Navy test their changing her address again this time to a different state,laundry ,y wanted to clean something important today but can’t remember what maybe after babies nap time I’ll remember.
    Amber Tx
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Rita ~ Beautiful Photo!

Went to the gym for the first time. You get a free visit with a fitness trainer and I really regret scheduling it. He tried to sell me on hiring him to work with me. I just wanted someone to show me how to use the machines. I will make myself go back on Monday, but, I feel like today's visit left me wanting not to go back. Now, I don't know how to set any of the machines and feel lost. Suggestions from any of you would be appreciated.

Carol in GA
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    edited June 2019
    Hi Carol your in luck in my 30’s I worked at a gym with bowling 🎳 alley y restaurant. #1 the young jerks I worked with did the same so if you tell a manager you were not properly showed the machines most hand you over to older 30+ 40+50+ etc worker who willl tell you more. YouTube how to is also your friend! Look at the name on the machine type it in theirs videos.If at any time something hurts move to another machine or the pool.Feel free to mess with buttons ask someone near you if their being rude ask another. Always a kind older man/young woman who will show you. Feel comfortable if you ever feel on edge remind yourself you belong. Cause we do! Gym membership that are yearly contracts are more likely to be bought by older generations which is their bread y butters.The young are guest on Daddy’s or buying month to month.
    1.The treadmills are more high tech now but good theirs a tv y headphone jacks on some to listen to music without bothering each other. Settings allow up y down so you can jog like your on a sidewalk or raise it like your going up a hill. Another is for speeds slow to way too high (way 2 high is to show off to the cute girl next to you only the guys use it lol ) .It has built in heart monitor to mile recorder y calories burned counter. Some places the tv is hooked up to onscreen personnel trainers,but most are not.
    2. Cycles/ski machines /steppers - depends on the location your at some still use old fashion bikes that are just pedals...but some have arm workout bars attached so your gliding like your ski 🎿 ing.Some have tv y head jacks bring your own headphones 🎧 the ones they sell are over priced cheaply made. Some record miles! Calories burned. Your miles is most important on any machine for calculating into your apps the excersice Times. Theirs volume buttons that’s for tv y headphones/channel change buttons it’s a remote control.
    3. Wet y dry Sauna/hot tub -they are pre-set can add water in wet sauna only half a ladle needed once for a few hours. If dizziness shower off move to the pool hydrate with fluids immediately.
    4. Other machines are usually weighted more for muscle building weight lifting these have a pin you move to make the weight more or less.Once you choose a low weight or higher weight place pin then you can get in y move it...too low of weight it will be extremely easy to use so be careful this lets it zip like a hay bail that someone let go of the rope to the pully system. Too high it won’t budge.It’s recommended to start in the middle lightly pull can’t move? Move it another pin or two until yiurcat thecdesired weight. Too easy now go up one.
    Amber Tx
    Regular weights go for small hand weights. Move slowly up one down other repeat.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Most machines have instructions posted on them (if not never be afraid to ask) . Cardio areas the best to start off with .Most machines adjust like a normal car seat. Look for levers near bottom of seats normally.
    https://youtu.be/3irVy7zN47w

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    Please ALWAYS wear tennis shoes with grips this is for your safety!!! Watch wearing too loose of clothing it can get caught like a bicycle spoke catching your skirt. Some gyms ask your information because Medicare/Insurance companies/ or etc pay for the classes to equipment at a discounted rate so even if you don’t pay that doesn’t always mean it was free might be a free insurance perk to you. So don’t let some youngster guilt you cause they want to be lazy go back to chatting with 18yr old girls. Just cause a video shows running you don’t have to I use to put it on 1-3inckine with a speed that was matched to my normal walking speed kept it there.

https://youtu.be/VC4LMjwbtf4

https://youtu.be/7SyFt6p23pM

https://youtu.be/APweZUlIYDk

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    Lol here’s a picture when I used to be 30yrs old. Oh to have that body again that I used to think was flawed lol 😆.Now I’ll trade young me for it! This pic was when I worked at the gym. Wipes 🧻 stations are to wipe your sweat off your machine before/after use so the hygiene well trust me wipe it. They get cleaned daily but sometimes you miss a spot or the extremely sweaty person just got off didn’t wipe.AARP used to cover silver sneakers not sure if they still pay for it or not they were on the fence about it in 2018...Yes means you payed! This includes classes with Women/ 1-2 men in the pool/ chair ball excersice/a few others

https://youtu.be/BkgJAyyXgeQ if you are at a Planet fitness type place but Noise Cancelling HeadPhones 🎧 or eat buds the nice orange construction or gun range kinds! The music is too loud y annoying.

https://youtu.be/MBM5XN-PE7s

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Amber ~ Thanks for the video! :)
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Lockers- a few gyms charge for this most are free. After looking at what kinds Bring your own lock! Get everything out before leaving their not responsible for lost or stolen nonsense. Bring your own towels just do it’s less gross. Leave main valuables at home! Lock rest in car in a spot no one can see walking by. Water fountain by law has to be provided! Bring a water bottle if rules won’t let you bring your own then means they sell water. Sports bra a must to prevent chaffing. Deodorant for after shower recommended you may still sweat after. Bring clean socks!!!! You will have wet socks some bring another pair of shoes to change into after.Athelete foot spray recommended for shower use just like a public pool when you get home. In the Help Desk look for the grumpy kids! Grrrrr begins a desk or they will look overly bored ...near there is posted scheduling updated on activities (Can ask which are for your membership). Also should be a brochures about each type of membership. Feel free to snap a pervs even if their not flirting with you but the sweet girl in front of you. They need the training will move out of fear of the old men coming to run them off. Some have racquetball courts etc. Remember you payed! Companies from insurance to AARP even Medicaid/Medicare you payed into it spouses too for decades. Never let some punk act like your there for free. They use the jobs for a summer then poof you’ll get a new person later usually better or same.

https://youtu.be/tKJmlop8GBw

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    https://youtu.be/5pmjHyDlwhc

Members in these programs do see improvements in health - Use it or Lose it theory at work. Hot tubs please remember it’s recommended 15-45minutes then cool down in a pool drink fluids. 100-104* unless a jerk messed with the temperature gauge if so tell staff to lower it! Dizziness, nausea, hot feeling like a hot flash get out so you do not loose consciousness or worse. You should feel comfortable at all times.If you do not get out cool down in showers if pool not available.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    edited June 2019
    Well pantry organized but cleaners are not oh well for another day.
    Amber Tx
    JRs nap time 😴 he’s done with potty time 🚽

Oh yeah some gyms have phones on the wall or emergency buttons! These turn off a sauna/ hot tubs 🧖‍♀️ Incase you see another member unwell on one. Phone calls front desk! Can also have someone or yourself get a staff member.Rare but saw a young man once get stretchered out from doing illegal substances then working out stopped his heart in the sauna.You think it would have been an older person but nope always was a kid.

Oh yes I don’t recommend a personnel trainer until you get your body used to regular cardio/classes. Usually only the men get a trainer wanting their muscles back. Women usually don’t only knew 1-2 that did.
    Personal dietician at gym worth the money massage too but do it only if needed y as needed basis.If you start Dieticians you don’t have to continue they pressure you like a dentist to come again lol.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,084 Member
    Oooo