WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2019

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,068 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    auntiebk prayers

(((Kim))) unfortunately it does appear to get insurance through a company there is a minimum number of hours you have to work in most cases. I think they do this because insurance is expensive for these companies, too.This is true for the subbing company I now work for. They offer insurance only after a certain number of hours and you still have to pay something for it. I do not work that minimum nor do I plan to.

They do offer a 401K but I am not part of it because I have one from when I worked full time. The 401K are run by different financial organizations so I do not get add to my original one. The problem is the fees. Until you have a massive amount of money in your 401K the fees are much higher.

I have another year to have to pay for private insurance it is 600 a month just for me. It was my DH company that he worked for helped pay for this up until last year. The money ran out.

The 600 does not include dental or vision and is a high deductible. I went with a HSA to help with taxes and pay the routine medical and dental expenses. This helped bring my actual cost down to about 400 a month.
    I figure the amount I work basically pays for this insurance.

That is perhaps a way to look at this is the extra money you are making taking this part time job pays for your insurance.

If you like and this job I myself would tread lightly because I think the place you are working for does not want to deal much with this. Another possibility is work for them and look for something else that would better suit your needs.

Unfortunately when you are in the 60-65 you have the highest rates.

Some states offer help with insurance too if you are within a certain income bracket. This might be something you could look into.

The cost of health care itself is sky high.

Another thing you could do Kim is if you have a high deductible you could pay in full when you use health care. I know when I had my physical therapy I paid 90 a visit and not the 150 it would have been had it gone through insurance. I was risking I would not have major medical bills because then it would have counted towards my deductible.

There are so many options and way too complicated. I try to stay educated in this to save what money we can and still be protected. :angry: I do find it frustrating, too.

:heart: Margaret
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Machka Perhaps you could travel by sea?

Karen in Virginia
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,891 Member
    Options
    trucker743 wrote: »
    Heather UK,

RV Rita, I thought your SO had left because you posted "My Luke is gone!" I have no idea what that might refer to then. Stay cool as best you can! I can't take that kind of heat at all. Anything over 85° and I go aquatic, pronto!

2v35otuj009m.jpeg
    Sharon Near Seattle

LOL. I don’t know who ‘Luke is either!’ Must have been the spell check?

Pic of yesterday’s high of the year.
  • kevrit
    Options
    Barbara~ sending healing prayers....
    Jay still hanging in there but keep the prayers coming..
    I broke down and had a bagel with cream cheese.. I haven't had one and was really craving it.. tons of carbs, but that will be it for awhile..
    working 9:30 5 today...

Don’t beat yourself up! I had carrot cake at Golden Corral on Sunday and it was heavenly! A treat like it’s supposed to be! Made me happy and I stopped there. Even more happy!
    It’s ok to go high carb once in a while as a treat. Good for the soul.

‘Nurse Ratchet’ my DH is the same! When he had kidney stones he was also dehydrated. Refusing to believe he needed as much and more water than me. He was in so much pain, he eventually asked me to take him to ER. He never admitted that I was right about water. Even after docs told him I was!

RV Rita

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,988 Member
    Options
    Machka Perhaps you could travel by sea?

Karen in Virginia

Waves ... seasick ... vestibular disorder ...

And we don't have that much time! We can only be out of Tasmania for a few days at a time. We're stuck here now.

However we have taken the opportunity to see more of Tassie. :)

M in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: I love Bullwinkle’s blanket. You have a thoughtful friend. :star:

Sharon: My parents took me to the World’s Fair in Seattle, and we went to the Space Needle. The view was spectacular. We rode the monorail then, too. Good memories. :bigsmile:

M in OZ: Today’s caregiver’s tip is spot on. You won’t get a day off, but in my experience, there are some good days. :flowerforyou:

(((Connie in KY))): I hope the sun comes out and you have a nice day. :star:

(((Kim))): I hope you are able to get a satisfactory improvement in your employment situation. You deserve to get what was promised at the outset. :grumble: Lisa has some great advice & so does Karen in VA. :heart:

runlaugheatpie: Welcome to a great group. :smiley:

Barbara: Sending prayers and good wishes for Joe and for you. :heart: Possible pneumonia? I hope the antibiotic turns out to be helpful. I understand that there are two pneumonias, viral and bacterial. Viral has to run its course, but bacterial can respond to antibiotics. I’ve been helped by peppermint tea in the past. It doesn’t cure the pneumonia, but it does relieve some of the congestion & helps me to feel a bit better. :flowerforyou:

Machka in OZ: I have never taken a flight of the length it would take to get from Tasmania to Canada. I hope you’re able to travel in the future. Would Canadian health care be available to you? Could your DH eventually apply for Canadian citizenship?

We have an overcast day so far. It feels cozy to be at home. Tonight there will be a concert in the park. I have no idea what band will be playing. I tried to look it up & they’re posting information on facebook, but the site there is totally unhelpful. :grumble:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Machka I meant: as an alternative to flying if you decided to move back to Canada. I have a vestibular disorder also. Big cruise ships are much less likely to trigger my problem...and there are always Transderm Scop patches and other medicines like meclizine that help if I do get queasy. I actually get more "seasick" on most airplanes than on large cruise ships.

But I see from subsequent answers that it's all moot. He can't leave Tasmania, so there's no point.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,275 Member
    Options
    Yes, Machka, I also meant moving back to Canada, where there must be warm support for you. You would have no trouble getting a job, I'm sure. You may not realise it, but I'm struck by how alone you seem. Is your husband's old company not paying comp for the accident? I would have thought there would be a huge insurance payout. Health care in Canada would be an issue clearly, but as an immigrant and married he would eventually be entitled to it.
    Battling on alone with an uncertain future doesn't seem very attractive.

Sending love and hugs. <3
    Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    o:)>:)o:)>:)
  • kevrit
    Options
    B)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,597 Member
    Options
    jum9oiatbnef.jpeg
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    tracking weekly doesn't make it easier to eat less ! lol!

still it is not easy! I was dragging today. I've had a lot of pressure and deadlines and ouf! I took a nap and was groggy in the afternoon and then went to this Japanese chain store Muji and bought some cotton undies and coloured pens and and was looking for some filing things, but they were short on what I was looking for.

I had a massive paper mess and spent a couple of hours re-sorting into piles
    -school stuff - thesis stuff - admin stuff to deal with- a few very other categories

the landlady was to be coming by Saturday and there's still a bit of a mess. I thought I would get these organising shelves for paperwork to put into broad categories (and broad subcategories)

fortunately the landlady is probably coming on Wednesday instead so that's good as I'm not ready.

I have 3 hanging file drawers and probably need about 3 more, but putting into specific categories is very long.
    putting into broad categories and in shelves is much quicker and more within my means (of time) in 2-3 days and will look ok if someone comes by, with just 1-2 more hours of sorting.

I've had this really tense lawyer thing and then the 100 pages to produce and union stuff. I still have to continue but some of the major mid-term deadlines are over.

I had this rather tense meeting yesterday too.
    we are missing one of the directors and the person who would be under her is doing her job but is to up to the task. she has meetings but doesn't want anyone to talk. she says to write her our thoughts and that no new ideas or questions can be discussed in the meeting if not written to her beforehand. that's not appropriate to the situation.
    we've had good 2h meetings in the past where we were able to both cover the nuts and bolts and share ideas collegially. this woman is not very open-minded. apparently she (quite young and new) speaks in a quite authoritarian way to very kind senior professors. that is just nuts.

I feel like kicking back a bit for a few days.

maybe till next Monday, take it slower.

I enjoyed just going for a walk and shopping. I haven't shopped in ages in a leisurely way. even if all I got was a few pairs of undies and some coloured pens and frozen foods. it's nice not to feel rushed.

I looked for shoes too but found none that I like.

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I went way over again today and I don't even feel like I've eaten that much
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I think the power went out this morning before I could post. I meant to ask about Sue k___, but I just backtracked and saw Katla's response to Lanette's question if anyone had heard from her. So sorry to hear of the passing of Sue's husband! WE miss you Sue and are sending love, hugs, strength and peace your way! <3 KJ
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,572 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »

I can’t tell if this is that none of the benefits are available or if it is just part of them. I do need to verify that when we talk tomorrow. Right now I want to stomp my feet and call the boss a dirty name. Not what I will do…. But I need to go to bed.

Many of you have more experience than I do in these things, while right now my brain is angry, I'd love any insight especially before 7am pdt

Kim from N. California

I'm not an HR person, but I have been involved in quite a few hires. The ACA requires employers (of a particular size, I believe) to offer healthcare to employees who work 30 or more hours per week. The key word is requires. Employers are free to do whatever they want below 30 hours per week, I believe. Most, however, and I include my company in this group, do not offer benefits to employees who work under 30 hours per week. It goes into our calculus when deciding if a position is full-time, part-time, and how much part-time (30 hours or 28, for example).

Sucks. I'm very sorry they mislead you. That is inexcusable, especially if it was intentional to get you to take the job.

ETA: Sorry -- I missed your 7:00 a.m. deadline. :-(

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Re health care:

Many jobs have private healthcare included, especially government jobs. This gives people preferential treatment. Life never changes! Those with money can get the best care. Those without must wait.

NHS varies around the country. We are fairly lucky in N Ireland, as our Health Boards are quite well run.

☘️ Terri N Ireland

This makes me so sad. I keep hoping our US system could be fixed if we went to a kind of "medicare for all," but your scenario illustrates how it really has to be all or nothing. If some are still able to buy up to better coverage, it doesn't work. :-(

Felicia, not meaning to be political, just observing a fact
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,215 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Felicia: Our system does work for the most part, just a little slower in some cases than it should do.

It’s a fact of life that the more affluent in society are always going to be able to buy better health care.

☘️ Terri