WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2019

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,195 Member
    edited June 2019
    I got an online voucher for a food delivery company, so decided to use it. Seemed a no brainer. 15% off.
    Oh, the problems getting through the process! I'd used them years before with an old address, old card etc. In the end I had to phone them and the very nice man sorted me out! Grrrrrrrrrr! Wasted an hour for £8.28 saving.
    Anyway, it's coming tomorrow. He gave me three months free delivery to compensate me.

Then I wandered round the corner to the butcher. I don't go there often enough as the small supermarket is so near. Bought veal escalopes for tonight, goat meat for the freezer and two big chicken legs for curry tomorrow.
    On Tuesdays we have to have something light, a bit earlier than usual to enable it to settle before the dancing! Broccoli with mine.

Weather looking grey. We are expecting thunderstorms overnight.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    12:40 ... midnight.

7C outside with a "feels like" temp of 2C
    It has been raining all evening (13 mm) and it's windy.

There's a 3 metre swell further out, on the other side of the islands, and a 1 metre swell as it comes into the bay. It's coming in from the south, and when I was in the back of the house I could hear the waves crashing on the beach and surrounding cliffs.

So with that, I'm putting on my fleece pjs, filling my hot water bottle, and going to bed!

Machka in the cold southern land.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Lanette: I sent a message to Sue & she responded. She has been posting on the list but hasn’t been here for a time. She said that her husband has passed. :broken_heart::heart:

Michele & Barbara: I heard back from the vet’s office and the quarterly fee idea seems to have been dropped. I was likely not the only one who objected. :grumble: On another topic, I use stevia in my coffee. It is a plant product, and not an artificial sweetener. When baking, something I do rarely, I use sugar. Aspartame is permanently off of my list of healthy items. :star:

Connie: Where do you live in KY? My DIL’s family lives in Lexington. We visited there several years ago. It is a nice place. :flowerforyou:

Martacamsan: I think pain in the hands is a symptom of arthritis &/or water retention. I have occasional hand pain if I eat too much salt & give myself a temporary case of water retention. You might want to check with your doctor if it is persistent or chronic. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: Your mom sounds like a strong woman and a terrific parent. :heart:

Machka: I vote for your beautiful reddish-brown hair color. Stunning! :star:

runlaugheatpie: You can join this group any time. Jumping in in the middle of the month is okay. :flowerforyou:

Lanette: DH had orthotics made years ago that are still in use and work very well inside of his shoes. The ones he had made seem to be some sort of resin. If you are interested I may be able to get some additional details. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: Your chicken soup sounds wonderful. YUM!

Heather: I’ve always enjoyed thunderstorms, especially when I am safe inside and not outdoors in them. I hope your predicted storms don’t cause any damage. :star:

DH has his first physical therapy appointment this morning. I hope it goes well.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,820 Member
    The Luke in my life left!

RV Rita busy at BLSP in Roswell NM
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited June 2019
    Carol Sc- My Airfryer is a Faberware used it to make JR cheese sandwich a minute ago . Mines tall but same size as a big coffe can to give you a size reference point. Mines like an egg timer with heat settings. Basket inside can pop out to transfer to a big plate.
    3.2Quarts holds. On sale $59.99 Walmart right. 4.4star rating http://www.walmart.com/ip/Farberware-3-2-Quart-Oil-Less-Multi-Functional-Fryer-Black/47042727
    Can stick your small baking dish in it to make mini cakes y casseroles 🍲

Made a new lunch recipe
    1 serving Julienne carrots 🥕 y 1 yellow Squash (veggie slicer or noodle maker) in skillet with a tab of margarine y a little water high heat. Tossed it onto diced long ways 1 cucumber 🥒 slices. 2tsp Parmesan & cheese 1/3cup then added 90 calories 1 cup serving Prego meat sauce. Was great 👍 297 calories total then added 4oz tea with lemon 🍋 a few more calories for my drink with tap water.

Air Fryer inside sizes:
    1.5qt = to 1 serving size (1 cheese sandwich) 🥪 can cook small portions fish tilapia to pork chops y steak 🥩 small portions
    3qt = to 3 serving sizes (3 cheese sandwich) 🥪 🥪 🥪 can cook large steak 🥩 to large chicken portions y duck split into 2 portions
    5qt= to 5-6serving sizes (6 cheese sandwiches) Can cook larger hunks of meat 🍖 big brisket to duck 🦆
  • beadowl
    beadowl Posts: 22 Member
    edited June 2019
    Morning ladies
    Machka: I love your hair colour. It’s gorgeous. Been thinking about colouring my hair (it’s streaky grey). I get a lot of compliments, but feel very old when I see my reflection. Shoes - check out VIONICS they correct the alignment, are stylish and very, very comfortable. These are the only shoes I buy now, very bad arthritis and burned out knee joints (bone on bone both knees) should have lost the weight long time ago.
    Barb: Thanks for the positive feedback. It’s good to be back, I think the tracking really helps.
    Pip:Your 🚢 pics were fab. My wanderlust has been stimulated.
    Lisa:It’s amazing how strong our Mom’s were. My Mom worked as an Alzheimer’s RN in a nursing home until she was 76! She only stopped when she got Alz. Now that I am exposed to the nursing home daily I can’t believe she: worked 12 hour shifts in an extremely stressful environment, raised us, kept house, gardens, commuting; you name it she did it. Those war babies were made of very strong stuff.
    Keto, IF, OMAD gang:IF (intermittent fasting) really kicked my keto into first gear and is certainly part of the neuro benefits I’m experiencing. On YouTube there is a great set of videos of conferences by Jumpstart.md. These presentations by drs from all over the world explain a lot of the brain chemistry.

Photo help: need help posting a pic of the cutest dog in the world. I read the instructions in help, but seems very convulted. Would someone be kind enough to post an easy instruction for adding a photo to a post before I lose my mind🤪
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    beadowl wrote: »

Photo help: need help posting a pic of the cutest dog in the world. I read the instructions in help, but seems very convoluted. Would someone be kind enough to post an easy instruction for adding a photo to a post before I lose my mind🤪
    :) At the top of the reply box there is an icon that looks like a landscape scene. Click on the down arrow next to it. Click on the box that says "Choose files. Then find the photo in your files. Click on the photo you want. Then click on open. A long code will appear in the reply box that will be your picture when you post the reply.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    ✔️1. weigh in 59.7 up trend
    x2. log all
    ✔️3. 30 min exercise yest
    ✔️4. five minutes meditation
    x5. Take care of at least 3 shorter (1 pagish) writing or administrative task/bill, (union work doesn't count) yest
    ✔️6. At least 15 min cleaning yest
    x47. At least 5 min day filing yest
    x8. average 1100 calories net yest

• Overall Feeling : ok
    • Log all : no
    • Exercise : 20 min elliptical and walking to gym and back
    • 1100 calories net average :
    •3 Short term writing/admin per week: 1
    •cleaning : 60 min
    •filing: no

Grateful :
    1. union thing working on for 3 years seems to be coming through
    2. summery weather
    3. interesting colleague
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,820 Member
    Working on a new FB page for the park Friends group. Busy trying to keep with everyone and everything! Still working on bowel problem. Thought I had it with Lactaid but no such luck. Getting a referral to a gastrointestinal doctor. Waiting on that. Otherwise doing well on diet and activity level. Added yoga and stretching to my routine which fixes my bursitis and back sorry. Surprised at my flexibility now that I last so much weight. Gotta go work on the pages.

RV Rita
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    edited June 2019
    Thanks ladies, yes they're quite young but its interesting to see my young son being so fatherly, and responsible. Not only does he take the early morning feeding times, but is up with Athena, starting his day. They bought that carrier, and this morning he put it on and had Athena in that, while taking the two dogs out. They are living in an apartment, so the dogs have wire crates that they sleep in for the night. They both seem happy with that arrangement, being raised since puppies to have those. They have a doggie door on their sliding door. It goes out to a wire freestanding fence that is an oval. Aurora the big dog could just knock that over, but is timid so she never has.
    Sometimes I look at these two and wonder if they can do the work thing, the baby thing, and the whole marriage thing. She is the sweetest wife ever, but the two of them never hug much and are so dang quiet when holding or feeding Athena. I am a chatterbox, talking, singing and just telling Athena this or that. She intently watches me! Also my DIL is not a cook. She bakes, but it falls on my son to cook. So he will come from work and then have to figure out dinner. That makes me nuts. Especially if he is taking medication for anxiety. I have talked to him a lot since I have been here, trying to convey that babies can acclimate to your life. This morning I told him, his walkies with the dogs and her will be her highlight of her morning, just her daddy and her doggies.
    💖Rebecca
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited June 2019
    Thanks ladies, yes they're quite young but its interesting to see my young son being so fatherly, and responsible. Not only does he take the early morning feeding times, but is up with Athena, starting his day. They bought that carrier, and this morning he put it on and had Athena in that, while taking the two dogs out. They are living in an apartment, so the dogs have wire crates that they sleep in for the night. They both seem happy with that arrangement, being raised since puppies to have those. They have a doggie door on their sliding door. It goes out to a wire freestanding fence that is an oval. Aurora the big dog could just knock that over, but is timid so she never has.
    Sometimes I look at these two and wonder if they can do the work thing, the baby thing, and the whole marriage thing. She is the sweetest wife ever, but the two of them never hug much and are so dang quiet when holding or feeding Athena. I am a chatterbox, talking, singing and just telling Athena this or that. She intently watches me! Also my DIL is not a cook. She bakes, but it falls on my son to cook. So he will come from work and then have to figure out dinner. That makes me nuts. Especially if he is taking medication for anxiety. I have talked to him a lot since I have been here, trying to convey that babies can acclimate to your life. This morning I told him, his walkies with the dogs and her will be her highlight of her morning, just her daddy and her doggies.
    💖Rebecca

Rebecca,

Mom's worry & I know that I do. I've learned to let my adult kids live their own lives. Keeping my mouth shut is one of my biggest challenges. My kids are quite a bit older than yours, and they're doing okay. Your DS and DDIL will need to work out their own future. I hope they are able to succeed at every level. :heart:

Katla
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Katla wrote "Lanette: I sent a message to Sue & she responded. She has been posting on the list but hasn’t been here for a time. She said that her husband has passed. "

Thank you Katla for letting us know. I was worried that this may be the case. Such a hard time for her and her family. My heart and prayers go out to them,

Janetr OKC
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Rebecca- She’ll learn to cook give it time as baby grows she’ll naturally want to make a few recipes. Harder when a MIL in the room I was soooooo scared to cook for mine still am lol get told I’m cooking things wrong ,but I’m not it’s my grandma’s recipes not hers. I have even worked as a cook for restaurants yet get told I’m doing it wrong. Hubby usually cooks or gets take out until she leaves. My Mom was nervous 😬 to cook for her mother (judgmental) y her MIL (irrational fear lol grandmas chill doesn’t do anything but sit back playing cards ♣️). If she can bake she can cook give her time to get used to cooking 🍳 around you y others. It’s just normal nerves. Sure their both equally stressed body healing to never ending baby changes lol.
    Amber Tx
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    edited June 2019
    Drkatiebug, you mention having a trainer, but it sounds like a group thing. Are there groups at your gym for beginners? If so, is it one of the gyms that have franchises in a lot of areas? I’d like to check it out.

NYKaren! Your backyard happy place sounds happy indeed!

Heather UK, i can get extremely irritable if I’m trying to follow a complex train of thought, whether it be a tax problem or a bus schedule and someone interrupts me. I think it’s because I’m afraid I’ll have to start over from the beginning of the process again. If the interrupting conversation is of much length, I will. If I’m close - or think I’m close - to a resolution of the problem, I’ve even heard myself snap “Not now!” quite sharply. The more intense the concentration needed, the sharper I can get, I’m afraid. My adult daughters don’t suffer this gracefully. I try to remember to say “Give me a moment, please!”, but I’ve been known to fail at that.

Warning! Fairly intense post re abuse!
    Lisa in AR, Even in light of what I just said above, I hope I’ve been that mother to my daughters. That’s one of the few advantages to having to endure the fear and horror that is too often the abusive relationship. And it often begins so gradually, and the abuser starts out so kind, so courtly! Going through the later stages, which in my case involved being threatened with a carving fork while very pregnant, one becomes possessed with a clear and determined plan to survive and to thrive. I went through hell after my children were taken until I could demonstrate that I had not been complicit in their abuse. Then we all went through it again in family counseling, which we revisited as often as needed, well into their adult years. It left the girls not always having the relationship I could wish with each other, but I have a close and loving bond with each of them in very individual ways. And I am the one they consult if there is a problem with school authorities, civil authorities or their own kids. We survived, and parts of that can be a very good thing now and then.

KJ (Kelly), I wanna be one of your kids! I still delight in the fun science you can do at home. I MUST look up eggshell geodes!

RunLaughEatPie, join us now! Just give us a name you’d prefer to be called and your area so we can tell similar names apart!

RV Rita, sorry to hear your SO left. It’s a difficult adjustment. I hope you’ll be able to continue your park work. It might even be a good distraction right now. Hugs!

Amber! ]Thanks for the photos clarifying what air fryers do!

Katla, im sure you’ll let Sue know we’ll be glad when she feels able to come back. I’m very sad for her loss.

Sharon Near Seattle
  • cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    @Katla49 I’m in Louisville - home of humidity and pollen, baseball bats and Churchill Downs. I’ve walked a lot recently on Waterfront Park - a beautiful city park with multiple trails and a pedestrian bridge to Indiana. It’s rainy this evening, so I’m not going to get to walk. The cloud ceiling is so low that you can’t see the UPS jets flying in. I knew last week’s beautiful cool weather wouldn’t last. Guess I’m going to the gym tonight.

Connie in stormy KY
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,686 Member
    Well home and in bed.. another day of caous.. no luck yet finding work...but going to keep on plugging...
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Sharon - we never landed in the social system, we lived in very rural East Texas, and nobody called "the law," on the neighbors unless there was gunfire. It just wasn't done then (the 60s). Come to find out after I left high school that all but one of my close high school friends had been abused by their fathers or a male family member, and none of us knew then... not for about another ten years, in fact.

But... I decided in 1982 (long story) that I could be who I was going to be because of how I was raised or in spite of it, but once I left home at 17, it was my choice to make. It took me another 30 years to truly make good on that promise to myself, and my father's death before I could bring myself to take off my protective cocoon of weight. Been working on it ever since. :)

So incredibly sorry to hear about Sue's husband. I figured from a couple things she said that it was a fair possibility. Tough lady, though, and Sue, if you're reading this, we're thinking about you. I know it's been a long, tough, year.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR