WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2019

Options

Replies

• ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore-thanks for planks clarification. The simplest things can have multiple instructions on line! I can do 30 seconds at a time and build up reps. Good luck with Child Care variance. Are you licensed through the state in Michigan? That’s how it works in Ohio.

Machka-it does get a bit cool there! Thanks for providing such complete information. I wore orthotics many years ago. I remember easing into wearing them-a couple of hours at a time before going full time.

Barbara-thanks for the cathartic comment. I think you are right. Grief completely goes in stages and takes many forms. You can’t have been with someone as long as we were together and not having the revisit of the anger and grief. I am glad I am able to redefine my life and still appreciate what was.

BananasandOranges-congrats on sending off first 100 pages.

Dana-Dolly is cute!

Got issue with IRS straightened out today. Had to pay some this year (discovered payroll had never changed federal withholding from married to single even though I turned in paperwork). Went ahead and paid through method IRS prefers with credit card. Some of those payments at the time I paid were credited to 2017 taxes, not 2018. They sent me a refund check, I sent it back with documentation showing I had paid before deadline, they send me letter saying it will be credited correctly but may take up to 60 days. I think, ok. Last week I get letter from IRS that I am delinquent on taxes and they must be paid by June 24, and I am being assessed interest and late fee! Had to talk two ladies in two departments but it is all good now-should have confirmation letter in a couple of weeks. I will say the ladies I dealt with were very professional and very thorough in their explanations. Of course, I doubt a human was involved with any of the process up until today. Unfortunately, I know way too much about glitches in automated government systems. Every so often, they just hiccup.

Have some nice thunderstorms moving in right now-going to go see if one of the cats has come into the garage yet or is out running the streets.

Ginny in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    @Machka9 it says mfp "calculates automatically based on your daily goal, you just pick what day to start the 7 days from."settings, weekly nutrition settings on the app."

but I don't see weekly nutrition settings under settings!

In the app on your phone, click on the menu bars (the three horizontal bars in the upper left corner).
    Select Nutrition.
    When it loads, it might say "Day View" with "Today" right below the "Day View". But you'll see a little dropdown arrow. Press "Day View".
    Select "Week" from the dropdown menu.
    Scroll up and you'll see Net Calories Under Weekly Goal, Net Average, and Goal.

So as long as you remain at or just below your Weekly Goal, you should be good! :) That means that one day you could go over, but another day you might be under. Takes the pressure off individual days.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Machka-it does get a bit cool there! Thanks for providing such complete information. I wore orthotics many years ago. I remember easing into wearing them-a couple of hours at a time before going full time.

Ginny in Ohio

Those temps are at sea level or quite close. As you go up the mountain, it gets colder. This afternoon it is supposed to rain down here, and I think it might be getting ready to start that ... on the mountain, it's snowing.

So they've given us this forecast for today (Tuesday):

Lower Derwent for Tuesday - Cloudy. Very high chance of showers, most likely late this afternoon and evening, with possible hail. Snow falling above 600 metres late. Winds N 25 to 35 km/h tending N/NW 30 to 45 km/h in the middle of the day then turning W/SW in the late afternoon. Daytime maximum temperatures between 8 and 13.

It is apparently 13C out there right now (12:30 pm) with a "feels like" temperature of 6C because of the wind. It will likely start dropping shortly.

And "Snow falling above 600 metres" is fairly low ... but we live at about 50 metres, so we should just get the rain and possible hail.

Machka in the southern-most part of Oz :)

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Did one segment of the 10MS Carb Burner DVD then took the extremepump class. The plan for tomorrow is to do Kathy Smith’s Fat Burning Workout DVD

After exercise, counted the collection money at the church, senior bowling, then ceramics then mahjongg.

Bananas – Sometimes it takes a while for our bodies to catch up. I mostly use the Wii to kind-of keep me on track or otherwise I’m afraid I’d be like you, too, gaining too much. I like seeing this. However, my official weight is only once/week. I just use the Wii to keep me in line. I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but if you consistently eat too little, your body will hold onto the fat thinking it’ll need it for leaner times (which today don’t come, they did in our ancestor’s time). So every few days go a bit over (not every day). Confuse your body. To account for my going over I don’t add in my exercise calories

Kate UK – I’m sorry about your husband, but you have a good way of looking at it.

M – one of my problems with eating only what I like is that I like things like ice cream, sometimes donuts cookies cakes etc. I like when I get to the point where I don’t want them.

Put a load of laundry in. Vince was telling me how he does it. I do it my way.

Pip – you are doing the right thing by spoiling Bullwinkle

Has anyone had trouble with wasps? We have some behind one of our retaining walls and I can’t seem to find something to somehow get rid of them short of calling in an exterminator, who is probably going to charge an arm and a leg since it’s behind the wall.

I don’t use artificial sweetener. Give me a little of the real stuff or give me nothing. I feel I don’t want to put something made in a laboratory into my body

Amber – your food looks good. Is that a steamer or dehydrator?

Katla – quarterly fees even if they aren’t used???? Never heard of such a thing. Glad they don’t have that around here. What is the advantage? Is it a lower cost? Do you have to pay a quarterly fee for each animal or for the household? In other words, if someone has 3 pets, do they pay the same quarterly fee that someone with only one pet pays?

Vince went to the MD about his back and also his allergies. The MD suggested pilates and yoga….lol Not like I haven’t suggested he exercise. But what do I know?? I am a bit surprised the MD didn’t suggest deep water exercise since there’s no impact. But whatever. The only thing is that I don’t know of any decent yoga or pilates classes around here. Then again, a noon time yoga class would probably work for him.

Vince was saying that I don’t want to go on Medicare Advantage when I’m eligible for Medicare since on Advantage you are locked into MD’s who are in network. Does anyone know if any of the other parts/supplements cover Silver Sneakers?

About the Newcomer “new” website – for some reason my antivirus keeps kicking me out.
    The note says that it has something to do with the security certificate being issued for a different website. I don’t know if Greg knows how to set that up, he probably does. Why he didn’t think to do this when he set up this website is beyond me. But I would rather trust my antivirus than him. He didn’t even import the right directory! Thank goodness I kept all of the applications. Really, what I should have done was suggested that we hire someone who could do it (import the old (complete directory) That might very well be a note the antivirus uses all the time

Barbie – happy birthday Sasha

Salt – last year (or was it the year before, I forget) a friend was down in FL. Her hubby and Vince went to the Daytona 500 and another friend of ours came over to the condo and we played mahjongg. Afterwards, they wanted to go to this Cuban/Mexican place. When we got home, I could barely walk my ankles were SO swollen. They must use a lot of salt

Michele in NC
  • cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Seems like continual rain and storms across Indiana, Kentucky and Ohio. My daughter danced tonight so I took the opportunity between rain to walk three miles in Waterfront Park. Crazy hot and humid. Glad I took a water bottle. I think I’m moving the walks back to the gym!

Indiana has been hit hard with rain and small tornadoes. There were a couple near Bloomington yesterday. My daughter looked at a dance camp at the University in March, but changed her mind. I would have been crazy with worry if she had been there. Glad she decided she didn’t want to go.

My mom had a great day at therapy today. Getting her cane made all the difference in the world.

Connie in KY
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @trucker743 I agree for sodium. I'm not sure what else to look at in terms of nutrients.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @ginnytez thank you! congratulations on sorting out the IRS
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @Machka9 thanks! I usually use the laptop for mfp but I'll look at the app for that! weird that one can only do it on the phone but not on desk/laptop.

@exermom I don't really stick to a strict calorie amount-it varies. but I could stop counting exercise. I'm with you about natural sweeteners.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    ✔️1. weigh in 59.7 up trend
    ✔️2. log all yest
    x3. 30 min exercise yest
    x4. five minutes meditation
    ✔️5. Take care of at least 3 shorter (1 pagish) writing or administrative task/bill, (union work doesn't count) yest
    ✔️6. At least 15 min cleaning yest
    x47. At least 5 min day filing yest
    ✔️8. average 1100 calories net yest

• Overall Feeling : mixed, sleepy
    • Log all : I think so
    • Exercise : walk around
    • 1100 calories net average : under yesterday
    •3 Short term writing/admin per week: 1
    •cleaning : 15 min
    •filing: no

Grateful :
    1.ok sleep
    2. comfy bed
  • Machka9
    edited June 2019
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    M – one of my problems with eating only what I like is that I like things like ice cream, sometimes donuts cookies cakes etc. I like when I get to the point where I don’t want them.
    Michele in NC

There's a difference between eating only foods I like and eating whatever I like. :)

So for example, I like almost all veggies, but I'm not fond of meat. So I choose options that include more veggies and when we go out for dinner, I'll usually choose the vegetarian options. I won't waste calories on things like steak (big yuck!), roast pork (another big yuck), lamb (no way!), most roast beef, pork chops, rubbery chicken ...

I strongly dislike anything with mushrooms ... so they don't even appear in my vicinity.

I like whole grain breads, brown rice so I choose them over the white options.

And of course I like ice cream, cakes, etc. but they aren't meals so they only matter if they are going to fit within my calories toward the end of the day. There too, I will be choosy. I used to eat whatever chocolate-like thing I could get my hands on ... now I eat good chocolate. I don't like all cakes equally, so I'll only eat the ones I really like. Anything vanilla, for example, has no taste so I won't bother if I don't want to spend the calories. But good chocolate cake and carrot cake are another story.

If I'm going "spend calories", I want it to be worth it. :)

Machka in Oz
  • martacamsan
    martacamsan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Along with crying all the time, I started having night sweats and not sleeping and the extreme pain in my hands.

Wait, is pain in hands a symptom of menopause???? I've started having this at night and never had it before, and sometimes it interferes with sleeping...
  • martacamsan
    martacamsan Posts: 17 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Workoutaholic50 so sorry to hear about your daughter's Pap smear. That must be super stressful, for her and for you. Hope everything turns out ok!

Oasis_fan, congrats on the weight loss week! That's amazing!
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    While Joe was on his way back from town this morning, his brother called. Joe waited 'til he got home to call back. Think he was afraid it was bad news about his 89 yr old father who recently broke his hip. I made the mistake of trying to ask Joe a question while he was dialing back. Too many inputs make him snappish. I backed off, and for once determined not to take it personally. After he chatted with his brother (who only called to vent about their sister), and a few minutes on the computer, Joe came to me and said something on the order of "I don't care about those people, I only care about us. Are you happy?" Yes! I replied. "Do you need anything?" Nope! The rest of the morning was most amicable with both of us showing off our projects and chatting companionably. Yes!

Miss Kelly your group home will be a blessing to the community and the most excellent training ground for future child development experts. Oh and hooray for weekends and evenings off!
    Lanette hornets scare me, you are one brave gal!
    Welcome back beadowl, congrats on the great weigh-in at Dr.'s.
    Amber JR is so lucky to have a mom who seeks healthy alternatives like almond milk. Back in the day, Mama insisted I drink a glass of cow's milk at every meal. Hated it. Made me puke or poop. Poor Mama and Papa were horrified at the wasted food (depression era parents) and frustrated at me, thought I did it on purpose. No one knew from lactose intolerance back then.
    Heather really adminre your dedication to exercise, writing and running. Brava!
    Katla quarterly vet payments whether appointments or not? Insurance or extortion?
    Karen in VA "concierge medicine" so those with abundant resources get even faster care while those without wait even longer? A trend that angers and saddens me.
    Sharon I can just picture you with your walking staff, standing tall, looking shamanic. Hope your shoulder likes the idea as much as I do!
    Barbie happy birthday Sasha! 9 siblings? Wow! Our poodles never had more than 4.
    Dana you make zucchini sound appetizing, a feat I wouldn't have believed possible.
    Ginny in OH so glad the IRS issue was resolved in your favor. Still haven't head from them, fingers X'd.
    Michele I agree with Vince, to avoid Medicare Advantage plan, despite it's attractive economics. Call your state's SHIIP office to get information on the Medigap (Medicare supplemental insurance) plans offered in your state. https://www.nc.gov/services/seniors-health-insurance-information-program-shiip
    Will you be eligible this year? MOST important is to make an appointment with Social Security at least 2 months before you hit 65. Trust me, there are deadlines that can bite.
    Rebecca :love: the family pic, especially all the four footed family members.

I'm in the market for a new calcium supplement, preferably with magnesium but not Vit D. Any recommendations?

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    Meditate 8/30, knee exercises 9/30, 60 g protein 15/30, vits+rx 14/30, play with Tumble 6/30, AF 15/30, steps: 5480
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD! Word for June might be equilibrium.