WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2019

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    JR - that's right. You have the air fryer. I forgot. I made bacon in mine and it came out quite good. Better than I expected.

Michele in NC
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Heather UK, your i360 is very reminiscent of our Space Needle here in Seattle. The top restaurant rotates 360° each hour, so your view changes constantly. The observation deck was just fitted with a section of glass flooring. I'm planning on testing myself one of these days!

Margaret, hugs for you today, and any time you want them! My lifeline is my phone. I have my calendar, which is colir-coded to the Nth degree, contacts with custom ringtones for family members do I can tell who's calling (my somewhat whiney daughter's tone is a harp glissando. She thinks I picked it because it's pretty! Don't tell her!)

RV Rita, I thought your SO had left because you posted "My Luke is gone!" I have no idea what that might refer to then. Stay cool as best you can! I can't take that kind of heat at all. Anything over 85° and I go aquatic, pronto!

Hi back, Ethelsmommy! I hope you come by often. Tell us what you prefer to be called, please, and your area so we can identify you at a glance!

Shannon in Ontario, your cat, Trilley, does NOT look pleased! How did the name Trolley come up?

Barbie from NW WA, isn't it nice when someone seeks out your company? Such a great feeling![/b]

Sharon Near Seattle

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Been very busy with my new puppy. Just like halving a baby but babies stay put. He is reLly sweet but is tiring us out. Hope we survive the house breKing. I think we are trained instead of him.
    So sorry to hear of Sue’s husband passing. Such a sad time for her family.
    Joined WW online and have least a little over 6 pounds in three weeks. May be from running around after the puppy.
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    oh, Pip!That blanket looks so cozy! Is the flare at the top to keep her cozy, or to keep her from chewing at herself? Yeah, those winds have been kicking up here in the Cascade foothills in the late afternoon here too! 17mph,

I've been drowsy all day. I dozed off for an hour, then awake for two. It doesn't help that both warm, sleepy purring cats have me pinned down by brute force. Perfect way to spend a cloudy chilly day.

I hope this "skip to the top of the page when I'm trying to copy my post to carry it to the next" thing is fixed soon. It's very annoying.

Me Again Near Seattle

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately true M that is why I take mini breaks throughout the day.

Sharon thank you!
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    7w47pide4vap.jpeg
    Michele NC - trying to learn how to steam my bacon then 🥓 pop it in the airfryer to finish so I can drain as much grease y fat out as possible then tadaaa crisp it. A Norwegian Submarine Chef 👨‍🍳 does it for his crew trying to recreate it in a more high tech smaller fashion. My electronic steamer 22min then air fryer but not sure how long since it will be cooked just needs crisped so tomorrow experiment time. Might be half the normal cook time or 1/3rd will see.

JR saw fire 🔥 for the 1st time today mosquito candle was lit he stared at it for over 3minutes in awe lol 😆 forgot how funny babies look when they see their first flame 🔥.
    Amber Tx
    Thankyou to who posted about adding pics in the post finally understand your directions! Was trial y error for awhile there lol.
  • b4leaving
    b4leaving Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Shannon, I am so sorry to hear about your family's medical woes. We have had our sessions with many doctor and dentist appointments and I remember how stressful it was and how it messed with all our other plans. I'll be thinking healing thoughts for you.
    <3 Barbie from NW WA

thank you Barbie!
    trucker743 wrote: »
    Shannon in Ontario, your cat, Trilley, does NOT look pleased! How did the name Trolley come up?

Sharon Near Seattle

hi Sharon - we adopted Trolley and his brother in February and named them Trolley and Cardigan (from Mr. Rogers!) - it was mainly because Cardigan looks like he is wearing a sweater. :) Trolley got the happy alternative name!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,178 Member
    Options
    Here in Australia, we don't get any health care with any job ... no "benefits". If we want some sort of insurance coverage, we pay a small fortune to get it ourselves. So ... for example ... we've shelled out something in the neighbourhood of $3000 in the last year for glasses and dental. And the really sad part of that is that we've got insurance that we pay for ourselves, and the insurance did cover some of it!

But @GodMomKim in your situation, if they're not going to give you the benefits they put in your letter, you might ask for a wage increase. Another 50 cents/hour, perhaps, to go toward health-related issues.

M in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,372 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Re health care: NHS is 'free' (we pay Narional Insurance all our working lives, which is supposed to fund it) but there are long waiting lists for appointments/operations. We are supposed to have free prescriptions, but many items are not 'approved' so have to be paid for over the counter, (and approved items often get taken off the list!) We are fortunate that we have no ongoing medical problems requiring unapproved medicines.

Care for the elderly is means tested. Anyone over a set limit of savings/assets has to pay for their own residential care. So thrifty, careful people who have saved all their lives are penalised, while feckless spendthrifts like my dad get everything paid for. But it does mean that everyone has a basic level of care, especially in emergencies.

Those who have money can pay for operations, or private health care, and avoid the waiting lists, but operains are often done in NHS hospitals, which can increase the waiting lists for those who can't pay. This can be a dilemma for people like myself. I would have had to wait over another 2 years to have my hip replaced, despite it impacting my mobility so much, if we hadn't had some savings to pay to have it done privately.

Many jobs have private healthcare included, especially government jobs. This gives people preferential treatment. Life never changes! Those with money can get the best care. Those without must wait.

NHS varies around the country. We are fairly lucky in N Ireland, as our Health Boards are quite well run.

Yesterday, I spent most of the morning hanging around waiting for DH to have a biopsy done on his prostate gland. It's been an ongoing problem for over a year, and a recent consultation and blood tests showed a deterioration which was a cause for concern. My cousin had the same problem in January and had his removed. It's likely that DH will have to have the same operation sooner or later. It's fairly common at his age, but one can't help worrying.

Amber tx: JR is adorable.

Hugs to those who need them.

☘️ Terri N Ireland
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Barbara, AHMOD - thinking about you both, awfully glad Joe's getting seen. Let us know...

Lisa