Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,328 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    Options
    Sunday -- Went cycling again. Was a bit chilly out there ... 12C to start and down to 8C by the end of the ride. That's three days of cycling in a row in the middle of winter!!

Distance: 27.02km
    Elevation: 171m
    Moving Time: 1:28:01
    Elapsed Time: 1:31:12
    Speed: Avg: 18.4km/h | Max: 29.9km/h

A very interesting article I came across about a year ago in the early days of my husband's recovery from the accident that resulted in his severe brain injury ...

https://www.brainline.org/blog/getting-back-bike/what-brain-derived-neurotrophic-factor-and-why-you-should-care

A quote from the article:

"Certain types of physical exercise have been shown to markedly (threefold) increase BDNF synthesis in the human brain, a phenomenon which is partly responsible for exercise-induced neurogenesis and improvements in cognitive function.

A three hundred percent increase in a protein known to help the brain recover is something to look at quite seriously. Neurogenesis is a simple concept. It is the growth of new brain cells.

Think about this for a moment: engaging in regular physical activity produces a chemical that is proven to stimulate new brain cell growth. This vital chemical keeps brain circuits running smoothly and is increased threefold by regular exercise. I call this nothing short of remarkable.

The good news is that you don’t need to be a daily cyclist to get this benefit. Shared by the doctor who presented at our group, thirty minutes of exercise, three times a week, will release BDNF’s and speed the neuro healing process."

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Had a small pity party today. Don’t have them often. Was having a very productive day, getting stuff done. Went to basement to clean litterboxes, discovered one of the cats had urinated in corner of bathroom (away from the box). Started cleaning up, mopping floor, decided to wash boxes out completely in case there was some smell bothering one of them. Came upstairs to use the shower (since it was raining out, wasn’t going to drag out hose). Tried to turn off main shower head and use hand held, got it messed up, loosened up the whole thing. Got really frustrated, before I knew it was yelling at husband because he should be here to help me with this stuff. Mad at my kids for leaving me with their cats. Stomped around for a bit feeling sorry for myself. Decided that wasn’t getting me anywhere, went back to bathroom and fixed the shower head (like I did when my husband was alive) got everything clean. At least I hadn’t cleaned the shower yet today. Just strange how the stuff comes back out of nowhere.

On a more positive note, I calmed down, got basement cleaned up and litter boxes set back up, shut the bathroom door so they can’t use that room again. Bathroom is sparkling clean. Worked on some meal prep. While weighing some grapes to put in snack bags, I really started feeling more peaceful—it reminded me I am in control of me and am moving forward. May sound strange, but that worked as well as meditation.

Got everything cleaned up. Had a good dinner. Got enough exercise to have a no sugar added Klondike bar for snack. Ending day on a good note.

Thanks for listening to my whine. It’s the dumb stuff that gets us sometimes.

Ginny in Ohio

{{{HUG}}}
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    ✔️1. weigh in 59.1
    ✔️2. log all so far
    -3. 30 min exercise
    -4. five minutes meditation
    ✔️5. Take care of at least 3 shorter (1 pagish) writing or administrative task/bill, (union work doesn't count)
    ✔️6. At least 15 min cleaning
    -7. At least 5 min day filing
    -8. average 1100 calories net

• Overall Feeling : mixed
    • Log all : so far
    • Exercise :
    • 1100 calories net average : went over by 300 yesterday.
    •3 Short term writing/admin per week: at least 2
    •cleaning :
    •filing

Grateful :
    1.comfy bed
    2. shower
    3. great corrector
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    Options
    Sharon - What a lovely couple :D<3 They look well suited. Your DGD looks a lot like you.

Weather still miserable. :(

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Sharon - your DGD and new hubby look blissfully happy--many good wishes for their future.

My happy place is here, where I am right now, at home, where I'm most at peace. I'm lucky to live here.

I tried antidepressants once, and had been on them for less than a week when I had the mini-epiphany that what I was doing was medicating myself to try to stay in my marriage (my previous one). Kind of a wake-up call, honestly. So I left him a few months later. It's my only experience with them, but I know that my son and my daughter have both been on them at one point or another. Their birth mother is bipolar, and they both have elements of that. For my kids, they level things out.

We took yesterday completely off, did absolutely nothing (well, I binged on the last season of Longmire while my husband read). It was good for both of us... but there are things we need to get done today now before the rain comes in this afternoon. :)

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    All the happy place pictures of water making me jealous! I do like the water, just don't have a spot around here I go to much. However, as I get older, I am discovering I can make any place my happy place (I just have to give myself permission to be happy).

Good night's sleep improved attitude. Changing up routine a bit. Got back on my exercise bike for the first time in several months (boy am I out of shape for that-evidently bike and walking use muscles differently!). Got 20 minutes in-not much but a start. Since getting 10,000 or more steps is not much of a struggle most days, I feel the need to start doing other exercises (my body seems to be asking for it, if that makes sense). Need to figure out what, but stretches, dumbbells, bike and resistance bands are all easy to add, so will work on that this week.

Sharon-granddaughter is beautiful! They are a great looking couple.

Off to church on yet another rainy, stormy day.

Ginny in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    All the happy place pictures of water making me jealous! I do like the water, just don't have a spot around here I go to much.
    Ginny in Ohio

I have always loved the water. I don't remember ever not loving it. But oddly, I grew up in the land-locked prairies, often some distance away from any decent bodies of water ... and I never learned to swim well. I can manage to flounder my way down a 25 metre pool (gaining the attention of several concerned lifeguards in the process), but that's about it.

Still, water of some sort features highly in my memories. Mountain waterfalls and streams in the Rockies. The little man-made waterfall I found when I lived in Regina. Sylvan Lake near Red Deer. And of course the lakes in Manitoba.

I find it soothing. :)

M in Oz

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Machka- lol Love the Peanut's cartoon! My husband insists that carrot cake counts as a veggie!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    Oo