• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    <3 NYKAREN
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    @TerriRichard thanks for the encouragements. it's very small loss but better than gain, right? I aim to eat just a little but have not been good with portion control of late. Before and after photos are great.

@exermom velveeta cheese doesn't sound great, agreed. coleslaw is often ok, potato chips is ok tasting, though not super-healthy to say the least. I would have thought it was money donations to make food and not food donations. food donations makes it harder to have fresh food. I hope the party is lots of fun and not too much. agreed that there's lots to do with lots of people. I used to occasionally have a big party (in small apartment) with 30 people or so, but last time, about 4-5 years ago other than the first and last hour or so, I spent the whole time greeting and saying good-bye to people and things like that. last time (about 2 years ago) I had about 18 people but told people to get their own drinks from the fridge let others open the doors and made a point to feel more free to speak at length with people I felt like speaking to. I enjoyed it much more. I mostly agree about inviting all in a given group (unless there is some major reason not to). wasn't that why sleeping beauty got cursed in one version of sleeping beauty ? : the old fairy had been there so long that everyone thought she was dead, and forgot to invite her, and thus curses sleeping beauty. we've all experienced or known of experience of some kind of exclusion and it's just no fun and can make for bad blood. yours sounds like a good plan. 4 houses sounds like a pleasant number. I used to swim tons in pools and would always get the dark suits and rinse them out well after each swim. when I swam an hour a week the best of them would last 2 months tops. sorry maki is a word for sushi rolls. I really don't know about doing fantastic, but if I make it through ok, it's already that. I couldn't make baked goods at present. I just don't have good portion control this past year or two. it's super-annoying. Lol for the crab.

@kevrit nice suit!

@Machka9 What kind of position do you see your husband in in the future, ideally? If they don't find appropriate work will insurance have to pay for salary lost for the rest of his life? that can be a lot but insurance companies are not the poorest. My thesis director required a certain number of pages, not final draft. I said wouldn't it be better to have 70 good pages than 100 pages and she agreed, but then next day she wrote that I need to send 100 pages. I guess she spoke to the director of the department who I have a hard time describing with lady-like words. he's a &%!°@! The official line is that everyone is supposed to produce 100 pages per year. We weren't informed in advance and this line is simply not respected or enforced by nearly any thesis director I know of. mine is really not great. she's a fearful stickler for rules but is lacking contemporary knowledge in the field, professionalism in some areas, etc. I tried to change but it's really hard to, as others are afraid of offending their colleagues, so I just try to finish as best I can. for your wellness chart I think im' ok on intellectual and possibly spiritual and possibly physical and somewhat social, but not great on environmental, (de-cluttering) and financial (can't make ends meet) and somewhat emotional (am not on top of tasks). the hardest one to manage is financial. it's tricky. I could've dropped the Phd and picked up a side gig (which I sometimes do) but at this point it doesn't seem wise. I'm likely to be really living with little resources when retired, unless there's a switch around. at 55 that makes me feel stressed.

@auntiebk where is your peaceful private campground? the van project sounds fun for him. thanks for the encouragements. I hope I make it through. it's become hard these past years. I really need to not have a major emergency this coming year to get through.

I think I wrote to all who wrote to me. sorry if I missed any. it's not intentional. hi to all.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I lazed today, and now it's mid afternoon. so hot. 89°
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: Welcome home!!! :star:

Michelle: “I, too, am sorry that Newcomers isn’t bringing me the satisfaction it once did. But it might be a blessing in disguise. Now I can volunteer in something else that’ll give me satisfaction. The only thing constant is change.” This is absolutely true. :flowerforyou:

Rita: I’ve had lactose intolerance for decades. I can usually eat cheese without difficulty, particularly firm cheese such as cheddar. If I want a gooier cheese, I take a lactaid tablet first. :star:

Kim: Great idea about the bracelet for Rori’s DH. :flowerforyou:

(((Rori)))

M in OZ: I love the photos of you and DH in the countryside. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I’m glad that you were able to frame your art work and hang it. WTG!!! :bigsmile:

We have a mostly cloudy sky, but the temperatures are moderate and it is dry. I hope to put some fun into the day. I need to power wash the boat but I'd like to have a warmer day for that.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    My SIL not happy with the settlement from my dads estate..
    we have the family cottage on the shoreline of New Hampshire.. and it is old and in some disrepair but Sean and Jean have taken the handle on it.. I wanted to go up there for the weds-sunday of 4th of July..I have no problem helping with my fair share of expenses , but as family I dont think I should have to sign a rental contract and put down a security deposit and pay 250.00 a day..
    my poor father is probably rolling in his grave...anyway..I had that planned for 5 days off from work ,I love it there but cant afford 1300.00 plus a security deposit to go there..

Allie ~ That's just plain mean! :s
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Allie, sounds like you’re catching more flies with (sweetheart and) honey than vinegar, lol!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,532 Member
    Options
    /
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    LISA love Terry Pratchett and especially Good Omens have read book and actually listening to a dramatisation on Audible

Cooking advice needed just had great success with a joint of beef in slow cooker with red wine and beef stock lovely gravy DH loves his gravy. Have a joint of pork and not sure what to put in I usually do it without liquid but would like to try something different. Thought of apple cider but not sure if the gravy would work

Kate UK <3
  • Katla49
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Katla49
    Options
    B)
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Heather, lovely table! ps, either your son is very tall or you are very short! lol
    I have some lactose intolerance, I prefer to call it more of a sensitivity than actual intolerance. I can eat yogurt or hard cheese with no issues. I do use a lactaid treated milk (not that I drink a lot of milk, just for my cereal) and I limit ice cream. I try to limit ice cream anyway, too many calories, but once in awhile I have to indulge! I don't buy it too often these days, so it's easier to limit the intake!
    Allie, I have to agree with Peachey, your SIL is being just plain mean! Shame on her!
    All caught up!
    Hope everyone has a great day!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,532 Member
    Options
    [[[[
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Heather ~ I can see a clear resemblance between you and your son. Nice party for a 40th. :)
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,067 Member
    Options
    ☘️