WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2019

Options

Replies

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Seattle Sharon - Bought the Foam Tiles at SamsClub/Costco comes in black ,gray wood,bright colors,maybe more. I vacuum them y sweep baby crumb spills with a broom. Mop with bleach y mop cleaner as needed. Scrub it with a wash cloth to spot check if it’s just a tiny stain.
    Good for gym equipment,bath areas to avoid falls (I stand the ones closest to the tub up after to dry) ,y baby proofing.
    $21-25 per 8 pack their huge.

My Moms mom had her late in life too.Grandma/her Dad was born in the 1800’s her sisters started marrying off when Mom turned 4yrs old. My grandma didn’t use hospitals don’t think she trusted them maybe it was misinformed reasons. She gave birth alone in her bedroom no help. Her Daughters were at school/work so no help.Her husband stood outside her doors. She gave birth went about her day even went to help on the field. A country doctor visited a few days later but by then damage was done. Grandma had been in labor with my mom in her birth canal no oxygen too long her water had busted days before. Mom had what we suspect was lack of oxygen or water on the brain even. Mom cried y cried until my grandma had a nervous break down didn’t know what to do. My grandpa (died when mom was 14) came in found the baby wasn’t being fed y grandma in a ball in the corner staring refusing to pick her up ever again.Her sisters took care of her she sat alone in a crib until they came home from work or school. Damage was done no hospital care my grandma older brother the family doesn’t know about to this day but I do (grandma confided) had been placed in a mental hospital with shock treatments for schizophrenia she was afraid being special it would happen to her baby girl (my mom). She kept doctors from looking at mom would say if she’s just playing dumb. Grandma did file for adult guardianship of mom when mom became pregnant from a man taking advantage she had my blk/wht twin brothers secretly taken away I never have been able to find them (Indiana law those years all records are closed to siblings without my moms consent no names just moms child like describtion of the day (weather hottest day of that year she said she was sweaty so hot).My Dad met my mom had compassion being a farm boy with doctrines in psychology. He married her took over guardianship. He took her to doctors auditory Schizophrenia/ retardation were their diagnosis without any previous records they can only guess by Grandma description of the birth. Great grandma had grandma late in life then another birth in her 70’s. My Dad taught mom to drive to cook. Had a speech therapist help her/me by then I was born late in life so her speech/lisp improved. Dad took the time his family too. As I grew I became her caregiver too even tho she had to help me get things from up high lol. She was the happiest bubbly person no one could make her feel bad. She would make a sad face but giggle as she tried so hard to pretend she was. She wanted ice cream not supper lol. She could get mean when anyone hurt me oooh teacher hit me with a ruler I never seen her get mad barely ever (only the usual outburst) .She scared that man he never touched me again! Still remember she yipped we no hurt children! Wooo she took after him! When as an adult boss was deciding who too let go y keep down sizing I was a wreck but tried to hide it.She called him up lol she waited till Dad wasn’t looking told him not to fire me she was worried. He was a good boss his brother had Down syndrome he told her everything would be okay she wasn’t to worry.I got a raise y more positions the next day. Then found up she was calling my jobs all of them no one said a word she’d chat away daily lol. Asking questions about why God made cheese stinky to asking what ya doin? They were on the phone for hour or more no one said a word. My daughter being born was a miracle she also helped out with grandma so she went on to head a Disability buddy program for School ROTC. High schooler would pair up with a mentally disabled high schooler do things like talk about singers to help them color so they could feel normal. Many grew from that. Now she’s in the Navy. She’s a serious little thing.I got my moms personality so we’re bubbly giggles as we speak in a loud blow horn tone. Good thing you can’t hear me lol.I have less hearing in one ear so my tones hard to control. My mother favorite coloring book was sponge bob. Boss gifted me some for her chemo.

Woke up to see my hubby used my rose bushes as a Hose post! Knocked blooms to petals clean off! Not going to say a word I figure not worth the time. He cut the yard so he can have a cheat day.

2lb gain so walking early this morn.News is on but it’s nothin worth listening to. Discovered baby pulling strings out of my decorative pillows. Oh well sure they’ll fall apart anyways with time. Still getting ready for July my Daughter will be home so got her mail ready .I. Clean her room weekly so it’s good. Trying to figure out a meal plan.She’s no help I ask her she says I want food.Okay which kinds? Not McDonald’s she answers. Thats all I get out of her. Swear she’s such a tomboy. Men give the same answer so I’m out numbered lol.

Got my Dads fatherday gift but forgot almost rebought it. Need help with my memory.I placed my purse on it as a reminder but it’s in a closet away from baby too. Out of sight out of mind Sure is true.

Amber SA Texas
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,048 Member
    Options
    Machka and Mary rather than take magnesium orally I have a small canister I fill with Epsom salts and some drops of essential oil. I like clary sage. I use a small handful and rub into my legs. Let sit for a few minutes. Doing this helps me avoid leg cramps at night. I do have to be careful to not let the water sit in the tub otherwise I get mineral build up.

It reminds me that adding Epsom salt to water for my geraniums and strawberry plants.

:heart: Margaret
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,849 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Machka- I never thought of using magnesium for leg cramps. I do sometimes run for the refrigerator and get the pickle juice in the middle of the night!! Does the magnesium ward off leg cramps completely?

Mary from Minnesota/ Arizona

The whole set of electrolytes can help get rid of leg cramps, but magnesium can apparently help muscles relax and I rarely get leg cramps.

I used to take double doses of calcium and a slightly higher amount of magnesium to ward off period cramps. That did seem to work. When I remembered to do that a couple days before my periods and during my periods, I would have only mild cramps. When I forgot, I'd have major cramps.

I do, however, get cramps in my feet on days I don't hydrate enough. That cramping seems unrelated to electrolyte consumption.

M in Oz

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    @machka9 masters in IT, ok. my degree is also related to work I'm doing, not a new direction. you have a lot going on. I'm not happy with what I send either. in my memory I was more happy with my work submitted in the past. I wonder if my memory is a bit off. I think I'm less concentrated now and my work is less focused.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,849 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I had a doctor recommended leg stretches before bed to help my restless leg syndrome it worked for me. Electrolytes are good for all cramps my gastronologist recommendation is always Powerade over gateraide says it’s more mild on stomach conditions. Of course he also said a simple old fashion version works good too water,sugar,salt if I remember right bet a recipe online. Listen to me rambling on about mom I guess her birthday passing around my kids birthdays bringing up some memories.Always cheers me up to think of her. Her eyes were joyful. Windows to the soul.
    Amber Texas
    Forgot to sign again

Electrolytes are:

sodium.
    potassium.
    calcium.
    bicarbonate.
    magnesium.
    chloride.
    phosphate.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/153188.php

You can get them in pill form, in sugary sports drinks, or in food. I prefer pill form and food most times.

Two of the best food sources of electrolytes are salted almonds and dried apricots (although you'd need something salty with the dried apricots to get the full set). When I'm cycling long distances, I'll also go to potato chips and beef jerky + orange juice. Those things also have quite a high quantity of electrolytes + calories as well.

Pickle juice, as Mary mentioned, would have a lot of sodium and some potassium, and water for hydration.

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,535 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Machka- I never thought of using magnesium for leg cramps. I do sometimes run for the refrigerator and get the pickle juice in the middle of the night!! Does the magnesium ward off leg cramps completely?

Mary from Minnesota/ Arizona

The whole set of electrolytes can help get rid of leg cramps, but magnesium can apparently help muscles relax and I rarely get leg cramps.

I used to take double doses of calcium and a slightly higher amount of magnesium to ward off period cramps. That did seem to work. When I remembered to do that a couple days before my periods and during my periods, I would have only mild cramps. When I forgot, I'd have major cramps.

I do, however, get cramps in my feet on days I don't hydrate enough. That cramping seems unrelated to electrolyte consumption.

M in Oz

mag pills doesn't take it away entirely, but it help. i do hydrate every day. along with the pickle juice, that helps.
    another thing that has helped me alot is a bar of soap inbetween my mattress and bed sheet. it's by my calves. don't ask why or how but it works.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    Pip the soaps probably a placebo effect that’s good if it works keep doing it! I have a few thing I do also that work but shouldn’t for different things. My fav doctor says if it works don’t question it.

M oz/ I did not know theirs pill form that’s wonderful.Dont have pickles since my Daughter moved out. No fruit on my trees yet (2 yr old hates meat/fruit so we keep a small amount banana mainly).
    I crave salt but doctor said after how horrendous my blood pressure was in pregnancy to stay away from salts as much as possible.
    Hubby thinks sea salt is better than iodized salt I say they all come from the same place so doubt theirs much of a difference just a marketing ploy .
    Amber Tx
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,070 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Oh canning recipe my Daughter loves home
    Made:
    Pioneer Salt Pickles

1.pickling salt
    2. Garlic clove
    3. Freash Mint plant (rosemary a substitute)
    4. Cucumbers cut as you like

Boil water small pot pour boiling hot water into jars.Get your pot big one put the jars in after making sure it’s air right no trapped air.
    Pour hot water over it all let it sit . Take jars out dry them place in a darkest place possible for 1-2weeks then eat up. Men love them y some kids.
    Amber Tx