WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2019

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Good morning. Had a BAD day yesterday. Best friend/neighbor was diagnosed with a malignant tumor on her brain and my 74 year old sister who has been in rehab since breaking her ankle badly has pneumonia, blood clots in both legs and yesterday went into septic shock and put in ICU. I cried a lot, prayed a lot but stayed on track and will continue to take care of myself <3

Love you my friends,
    Janetr OKC

Janetr (((Hugs))) I'm so sorry to hear this news. Sending love.

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Going to go to the gym and try to do the elliptical for a few minutes. I have tried twice now and could only do it for a minute before my heart rate got up to 130. Can't understand what I am doing wrong. Have been able to walk on the treadmill and use the stationary bike for 10 minutes each.

Carol in GA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,125 Member
    Options
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    Going to go to the gym and try to do the elliptical for a few minutes. I have tried twice now and could only do it for a minute before my heart rate got up to 130. Can't understand what I am doing wrong. Have been able to walk on the treadmill and use the stationary bike for 10 minutes each.

Carol in GA

Are you medically restricted to stay under 130?

M in Oz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    (((Janetr)))
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Thank you my friends.

Carol, I don't do the elliptical at all, since having both knees replaced in 2015 it just hurts too badly. I do the treadmill and exercise bike, for 40 minutes no problem. Don't think you have to do a certain machine, as long as you are moving and getting in cardio you're doing great!!!

Janetr OKC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    thanks again for all the welcomes. :)
    Is everyone one here on weight loss or are some on maintenance? Just curious.

Renée in the Netherlands

been on maintenance for years now
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Carol - I haven’t been able to do the elliptical due to arms injuries as a child (got beat up for not being fully white - Dad switched schools after I was injured 🤕 multiple times leading to arm slings/casts a lot told my grandpa why Dad said nope 👎 goodbye all white school districts forever ).
    I find anything that works my arms hurts so I stick to walking,treadmill,y excersise bikes.
    If I do elliptical I don’t do it more than 2minites then I’m out of commission. Walking 1hour in circles in the house at the moment. Even a minute on a machine more than most are doing anymore. Folks even ride in cars to get the mail even tho their 20! It’s Not just the elderly older man down the road anymore.
    Amber Tx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    Janetr - Such a stressful time for you. (((HUGS))) <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    JanetR - thinking of you, your friends and family. I'm sorry it was a bad news day... proud of you for continuing to take care of you.

Carol - Your hand/arm movements are what drive your heart rate up on the elliptical. If they're like most of these machines, they will also have a stability bar you can hold near the readout so that you can avoid using your hands on the moving bars, and still keep your balance. I love ellipticals, but often have to stop using my hands to keep my heart rate from shooting up above 200. You still can get a great workout, and then just use your hands on the moving bars 10 or 20 seconds out of each minute to keep your heart rate closer to your target heart rate.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    1948Peachy wrote: »

Carol in GA

do you use a heart rate monitor? if you had one, you would want to find out what your resting heart rate is, then from there you could figure out what your max heart rate is and what your target heart rate is. it's a calculation that is also figuring in your age, unless your doc is telling you that you don't want to go over 130bpm you should do what your doc says.

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    New laws in US starting in September 1st making package 📦 theft a felony. Porch pirate law (Texas or your state) in google see if it passed in yours.
    Navy Daughter sends her stuff home when shipping out so this is an issue for us our neighborhood gets hit a lot y mix up on delivery 📦 neighbors always getting each other’s. She’s sending stuff home soon so I can’t leave the house until I receive every parcel! Misdemeanor theft at the moment so got to stand y wait by the doors when mail trucks drive by.In September 1st at least something can be done about it by law enforcement 4-10k fine up to 10yrs jail time felony record for Texas. A few other states passed theirs today too.
    Elliptical where I worked didn’t have a stabilizer bar but glad to hear their putting those on! I could use it with those. Bet it was in the box my coworker assembling didn’t add them on them. I would have loved a middle bar to hold onto.
    Amber Tx
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice ladies. The trainer who put me through h@#$ the first time I went said not to get it up above 130. I did a heart rate calculator and according to my age it should be between 81 and 126. I did stay on the elliptical for 5 minutes today and on the treadmill for 5 minutes. Lisa ~ thanks for the advice on using the arm movements intermittently...I will try that.

Carol in GA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kim: You handled a tough situation with grace. WTG! :star:

Rori: I hope the VA health benefits for DH come through promptly. That will be an excellent asset for his healthcare. The GPS watch is a great idea. I didn’t know about them. :flowerforyou:

Dana in AR: The zucchini squash sounds wonderful! I’ll be looking for them in the store. YUM!!!

M in Oz: Our bedroom faces the rising sun. We have blackout shades, but there are cracks between them that can be blinding in the early morning. I have an eye mask looped over my bedpost in case of need. :star:

ORJulie: Welcome to a great group! Post often and get to know us. :flowerforyou:

Tracey in Edmonton: Congrats on the new job! :bigsmile:

KJ: Great news for your son’s new job with better pay! :star:

Rene in the Netherlands: I’ve been on maintenance for quite a while but the weight crept up a bit, so I’m working on getting it back down. I have an overuse knee injury. When my knee hurts I know it is time to get some weight off. Right now is one of those times. :ohwell:

Pip: I love your dog photos. They always lift my spirits. :smiley:

(((Janet OKC)))

Carol: Our gym also has elliptical trainers and I was able to set one up is such a way that it didn’t overload my capacity. It isn’t my favorite device and I only use it once in a long while. I like the stationary bike better, and yoga class best of all. :star:

Haircut appointment this morning! YAY!!! It feels like I’ve been waiting forever. I’m going to jump in the shower and wash my mop so that it is squeaky clean.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    Soccer ⚽️ indoors with JR before nap time

Tried broccoli 🥦 baked 425* for 40min good but not crisp enough thinking my stove I need to leave it a full hour.

Hubby y me decided Switching to Special K cereal less calories for a full cup.Might try others but this is less than ours by 20-40calories depending which flavor we buy.

Thinking of trying G Hughes sugar free BarBQue sauces 10calories see if we like the flavor or not. If he can find it at our store or not...I can order a 2pack online from Walmart

We’re going to look into chips alternatives popchips say their 28chips 120cal but how do they taste? Are they super tiny or large chips? Found Cheetos are 21chips at 160 calories which beats out our potato chips.
    Our tortilla chips are large so 7 chips looks like 14 their huge but still want to look into blue chips see if one beats it or not.
    Amber Tx

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    My tandoori chicken kebabs were heavenly! :D
    Going to be a HOT weekend. I'm not a heat lover, but I hope to survive with a sea breeze or two.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Good morning. Had a BAD day yesterday. Best friend/neighbor was diagnosed with a malignant tumor on her brain and my 74 year old sister who has been in rehab since breaking her ankle badly has pneumonia, blood clots in both legs and yesterday went into septic shock and put in ICU. I cried a lot, prayed a lot but stayed on track and will continue to take care of myself <3

Love you my friends,
    Janetr OKC

I'm so sorry, Janet. Praying for strength for you.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon