pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    161q7uec9aqd.jpeg
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Karen - is there an emoji for licking lips? :D:p

Lanette - about two years ago I promised you a photo of the National Heritage Elm Tree that is in the Pavilion gardens. I will post it from my phone in a few minutes. :) We walked through the Pavilion gardens on the way to the non-existent hat. :|
    For those of you who don't know, Brighton and Hove is one of the last places in the UK that has surviving elms, because the Dutch Elm Disease did not reach here. Probably it was protected by the hills of the South Downs. This tree is a beautiful example, though there are trees all over the city.
    I remember the trees in my in-laws garden in Hampshire having to be cut down by government order in the 70s . So sad. There are no elms left in most of the UK.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,936 Member
    Options
    Gotta go to a board meeting for the park. I’ll finish catching up later.

RV Rita pg. 74 done!
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,405 Member
    Options
    Heather - simply gorgeous tree. Thank you for posting this photo! Like you, I remember elms in my parents and grandparents wooded areas when I was a kid. Long gone now....

Would be neat if there are some left in the world with natural immunity to this disease that could be cloned. I'm sure botantists are looking for them.

Lanette
    Cool SW WA State
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    ✔️1. weigh in
    ✔️2. log all
    x 4. five minutes meditation
    x5. Take care of at least 3 shorter (1 pagish) writing or administrative task/bill, (union work doesn't count)
    ✔️✔️✔️✔️6. At least 15 min cleaning
    ✔️7. At least 5 min day filing
    ✔️8. average 1100 calories net

• Overall Feeling : ok
    • Log all: yes
    • Exercise : 30 min elliptical plus a little walking and cleaning
    • 1100 calories net average : I think so today
    •3 Short term writing/admin per week:
    •cleaning : yes!
    •filing: yes

Grateful :
    1. AC in gym
    2.colleagues and union people
    3.light foods
    5.shades to keep heat out
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    decent day. I took care of some important things. it's great to not have major deadline for a few days. phew. it's very hot here. 87° at 8pm. High was supposed to have been 91. Tomorrow 94, Wed 99, Thurs 97, Fri 94, then 86, 81.

now it's about 86 inside

It gets cooler late at night just before morning, goes down to about 70. I closed the window and shades all day, and will open up when it gets cooler outside than inside, maybe at about 10pm.

AC is unusual in homes in most of France. I lived in the south in an old stone house and you just shut the shutters all day, and the open up at night til some time in the morning and then shut again all day.

I have a few old flimsy summer dresses that I hardly wear-too flimsy for work. they are almost all WAY too tight. that is a real reality check. I don't know when I've last had that experience. reality check
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Heather It's only right. That poor shopwoman was bedazzled, but must make it right for your husband.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Heather and Lanette My childhood home in Nebraska had a yard full of beautiful stately elms which provided the most lovely shade in the summertime. By the 1980's they were all gone. Canadian and US scientists have successfully cloned trees resistant to Dutch Elm disease from trees that survived the epidemic. There are 3 or 4 commercially available cultivars. One of them is an American Elm cultivar named 'Valley Forge'. I don't remember the others, but they all have patriotic names.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,405 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA - thank you for that info!!! I don't know if they do well out here in the Pacific NW but I will check. Of course I'd be 90 by the time they are stately, lol.
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    <3
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    :heart: