Fit For Future Families

Replies

• Shan80
    Shan80 Posts: 47
    thanks so much.

As far as goals for this week...hmm

This week's goal - to walk 2 miles every day regardless of the weather!
    Drink 2 liters of water everyday
    NO SODA!!

I hope to lose at least 5lbs by weigh in - which works out well because I weigh in on Monday's!!
  • Hopeful4757
    Hopeful4757 Posts: 138
    Welcome! I think we've all been on again, off again, etc. It's good we're all back though and trying.

LHuffman24 - just out of curiosity, which HRM did you get? I'm looking to get a better model. I have one that gives heart rate, but does not read out how many calories I'm burning and would be curious. When I'm at the gym, the calories shown burnt are WAY lower than the ones on MFP and I do enter my weight etc. at the gym. I always just go with the lowest number.
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Welcome! I think we've all been on again, off again, etc. It's good we're all back though and trying.

LHuffman24 - just out of curiosity, which HRM did you get? I'm looking to get a better model. I have one that gives heart rate, but does not read out how many calories I'm burning and would be curious. When I'm at the gym, the calories shown burnt are WAY lower than the ones on MFP and I do enter my weight etc. at the gym. I always just go with the lowest number.

I have a Reebox HRM and love it! it is one of the cheaper models and I got it on sale.
  • LHuffman24
    LHuffman24 Posts: 175 Member

I got a Polar FT7, it was just over $100 at that big sporting goods store that starts with a D (MFP edits the name! :laugh: ). It's great. Shows HR, calories burned, time, and when you've finished your workout, it breaks down the time you spent burning fat versus working your heart. Pretty sweet! I wore it to Water Walking (in the lazy river at our waterpark) last night and burned 400 calories in an hour of walking. I didn't go under water or anything there, but the manual says you can wear it while swimming too.

I originally bought a Garmin 110 which has built in GPS in the watch. It tells you exactly how far you've run and shows your calories. However, it doesn't show calories when you run on a treadmill or do a class at the gym. I do run outside, but the bulk of my workouts are done inside, so I took it back. Luckily the store I bought it from gave me the refund.
  • Hopeful4757
    Thanks. I think I'll be investing in the Polar FT7. That's about what I figured it would cost and I think that's got to be the newest model. I also am surprised the other one only worked outside. I wonder what the difference would be from running outside or running on a treadmill? I like that you said you could swim with it too. I always forget to put in and log if I swim for fun, but wonder how many calories it would be.
  • tahmed
    tahmed Posts: 409 Member
    Congrats to everyone who worked so hard to loose weight this week. I am so proud of all of you!

I am off to the Dr. Dealing with a yeast infection, urinary tract infection and AF all at the same time!
  • kcurtis05
    kcurtis05 Posts: 524 Member
    Hello everyone! I am a part of the other Pregnancy group and was feeling a little unmotivated with everyone getting preggo. Thanks for starting this group!!!

I have met one of my goals, but I keep bouncing between a few pounds. I am getting into a rut and need to find a way to get out. I was away from MFP for about a month because of a dance summer intensive I was running. We were given meals and it was extremely hard to keep track. Now it's time to get back in the habits again of logging my food and exercising more.

I would love to TTC ASAP. My DH and I are ready and willing, but my body thinks otherwise. I was on the Depo shot for nearly 3 years and ( 5 years earlier) and have not see AF at all. I ended my last depo in April and still nothing. I have heard nothing but bad things about the depo, but when I started using it I didn't know what my plans really were. Is there anyone out there that has used it? I know it will take some time, but we are ready now and It is frustrating just waiting for my system to work. :grumble: Hopefully things will change, but for now I guess it's time to just enjoy the time we have to ourselves. I've made a Dr appointment, but it's not till Sept. :angry: Waiting, waiting, waiting......:yawn: more time to reach my goals!

Sorry for the little tmi and vent. I'm happy to be with others still trying to reach their goals!
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,599 Member
    kcurtis - thanks for joining us! I know what you mean about feelig unmotivated in the pregnancy group - it jusr wasnt doing the trick for me. But here I thought we could all team up to reach our goals, and we'll still have the wonderful ladies in the other group when we need to switch over (the ones that haven't popped anyway)

So far I am doing okay today - MIL insisted on treating me to gelato after the dress fitting, so I got the 1 scoop of vanilla, and enjoyed every bite. Plus, I got FI an ice-cream cake that I can't eat (has gluten) to help with that weakness. Now it's making a healthy dinner of haddock and sweet potato, and upping my water for the day. Back to the gym tomorrow :)

Tahmed - keep me posted - I'm around all weekend.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,064 Member
    Thanks. I think I'll be investing in the Polar FT7. That's about what I figured it would cost and I think that's got to be the newest model. I also am surprised the other one only worked outside. I wonder what the difference would be from running outside or running on a treadmill? I like that you said you could swim with it too. I always forget to put in and log if I swim for fun, but wonder how many calories it would be.

Probably didn't work because of the GPS...with a treadmill you are standing still in the eyes of the position of your body on the planet.

I'm going to have to look for this one as my plans include a lot of water aerobics...need one that works in the water....I'm convinced that the calories that the tool is giving me are way too high....
  • LHuffman24

Probably didn't work because of the GPS...with a treadmill you are standing still in the eyes of the position of your body on the planet.

I'm going to have to look for this one as my plans include a lot of water aerobics...need one that works in the water....I'm convinced that the calories that the tool is giving me are way too high....

Yes, that is definitely why it didn't work inside. The Garmin would keep track of heart rate for the whole workout, but not count up the calories.

MFP and the machines at my gym are way off on my calorie burn. I ran 20 minutes on the treadmill the other day. The TM said I burn 280 calories. The Polar said 178! Over 100 calories off in only 20 minutes...

I never fully submerged myself yesterday in the pool, but there was a lot of splashing on both the watch and the chest strap/transmitter. From what I could tell, everything worked just fine. I guess I'll find out when I go to the gym in about an hour and use it again!
  • LHuffman24
    Hello everyone! I am a part of the other Pregnancy group and was feeling a little unmotivated with everyone getting preggo. Thanks for starting this group!!!

I have met one of my goals, but I keep bouncing between a few pounds. I am getting into a rut and need to find a way to get out. I was away from MFP for about a month because of a dance summer intensive I was running. We were given meals and it was extremely hard to keep track. Now it's time to get back in the habits again of logging my food and exercising more.

I would love to TTC ASAP. My DH and I are ready and willing, but my body thinks otherwise. I was on the Depo shot for nearly 3 years and ( 5 years earlier) and have not see AF at all. I ended my last depo in April and still nothing. I have heard nothing but bad things about the depo, but when I started using it I didn't know what my plans really were. Is there anyone out there that has used it? I know it will take some time, but we are ready now and It is frustrating just waiting for my system to work. :grumble: Hopefully things will change, but for now I guess it's time to just enjoy the time we have to ourselves. I've made a Dr appointment, but it's not till Sept. :angry: Waiting, waiting, waiting......:yawn: more time to reach my goals!

Sorry for the little tmi and vent. I'm happy to be with others still trying to reach their goals!

Welcome! Your profile pic is beautiful. I love wedding photos!

My sister was on Depo for a while back in high school. She was always a stick figure type and once she started that stuff, she gained about 20 pounds! I couldn't believe it. I'm not sure if it affected her cycles after she stopped taking it, but just from her weight gain, I knew that I would never ever use it for myself. My GYN wanted me to try it out last year, and I told her no. I hope your body straightens itself out soon!! :flowerforyou:
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member

Yes, that is definitely why it didn't work inside. The Garmin would keep track of heart rate for the whole workout, but not count up the calories.

MFP and the machines at my gym are way off on my calorie burn. I ran 20 minutes on the treadmill the other day. The TM said I burn 280 calories. The Polar said 178! Over 100 calories off in only 20 minutes...

I never fully submerged myself yesterday in the pool, but there was a lot of splashing on both the watch and the chest strap/transmitter. From what I could tell, everything worked just fine. I guess I'll find out when I go to the gym in about an hour and use it again!

I find most people think MFP over estimates and after I got my HRM I found MFP underestimated what I did. Same with the treadmill or elliptical. I burn about 100 cals every 10 min when I work out and the treadmill says about 60. Very interesting stuff. I love my HRM, I'm lost if I exercise without it now.
  • kiffypooh
    Amanda – I hope the dr makes you all better before BD time. That does not sound like a pleasant kind of time. :flowerforyou:

kcurtis05 – Welcome! I love your picture too!

Jalara – Good choice picking out a cake you can’t have. I love it when that works out.

So I had my new OB yesterday and feel much more positive and like we now have a plan. He seems very optimistic that our next pregnancy will stick and I feel less worried about the whole thing. He also explained MC to me in a way that made me feel better and made me feel that I didn’t cause them (although I knew I didn’t, there’s that piece of you that thinks you did). I really liked everyone in the office and as I told him, “I hope to see you in a month or so.” I have been SO unmotivated this week, out of hand unmotivated. I think I gained like 4 lbs since Friday. I’m pretty sure I’m going to skip weigh in on Friday and start working my butt off now. I’m about to enter the 2WW and I think, on some level, I’m overeating in an attempt to make sure a possible pregnancy sticks. Does that sound silly or what? The more I think about it though the more I think that’s what I’m doing. Knowing is half the battle right? I know I can’t do this every month, that would not be good. I want to see 175 almost as much as I want to see a BFP. Anyhow, enough rambling. I hope everyone is having a great day!
  • Hopeful4757
    kcurtis05 - love the picture too!

tahmed - hope you are feeling better

jalara - great step with the cake - i probably would have justified and got something I liked - great willpower :-)

kiffypooh - I'm so happy your dr. apt. went well and you are feeling better. Having a great doc makes everything a little easier and better. I really like mine and hope to cont. liking her after I go see her next week. :-)
  • kiffypooh

kiffypooh - I'm so happy your dr. apt. went well and you are feeling better. Having a great doc makes everything a little easier and better. I really like mine and hope to cont. liking her after I go see her next week. :-)

My last dr was a little too mellow and relaxed for me so this is a nice change. Also my first male dr EVER in my life, which I'm sure is a huge difference.

I hope your appointment goes well.
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,760 Member
    I've been really bad with working out this week, AF is making it hard to do anything. :grumble: On the up side, I picked up my bridesmaid dress that I ordered a few months ago.....and it's HUGE on me!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: My fitting is not until September 27, so I'm hoping it will be even bigger by then.

The bride took me to applebee's afterward, I had no idea we were going so i had no time to plan my dinner. I resisted that nachos and ended up with the Cajun lime tilapia, when I logged it into MFP it's only 310 calories - I still have 400 left for the day! Of course my sodium is off the charts but I'm under in everything else.

jarla - so much more will power then me. DHs birthday was last Saturday, I got him an ice cream cake and ate most of it. There's a part of me that's really pissed that he just ate the last piece that I've been thinking about all day. :laugh:
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,599 Member
    Thanks for the thumbs up everyone!

kiffypoof - I"m really glad things went well - having a doc you're comfortable with makes such a difference. Mine is a woman, from Russia (or near there), straight forward and AWESOME. I love her.

Ron - I can't imagine how awesome you must be feeling right now - what a high that dress must have given you! I can't wait to experience that feeling - Good for you!!!! Also, well done on averting a calorie catastrophe!

Tahmed - hope tomorrow is a better day for you!

Well, tonight I am so proud of myself. My dress fitting went well, engagement photos went well (talk about last minute!), and dinner went really well. I ended up (accidentally) making a full meal for just over 300 calories!!!! I had 4 oz of haddoock, mashed sweet potatoes with honey, and shelled edamame with salt. It was so yummy and I really as full - really full. What a great feeling :tongue: So I indulged in a 90 calorie fudge bar at the end of the night, and ended the day 1 calorie under!

Ahhhh - life feels good today!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Congrats to everyone who worked so hard to loose weight this week. I am so proud of all of you!

I am off to the Dr. Dealing with a yeast infection, urinary tract infection and AF all at the same time!

Oh, no! Any of those by itself is hard, all three at once is horrible! I hope you are feeling better soon!
  • melodyg

So I had my new OB yesterday and feel much more positive and like we now have a plan. He seems very optimistic that our next pregnancy will stick and I feel less worried about the whole thing. He also explained MC to me in a way that made me feel better and made me feel that I didn’t cause them (although I knew I didn’t, there’s that piece of you that thinks you did). <snip>. I want to see 175 almost as much as I want to see a BFP. Anyhow, enough rambling. I hope everyone is having a great day!

I'm glad you have a plan, that makes the uncontrollable part of ttc easier for me. :) I understand too about feeling responsible for m/c... even when you know in your head you didn't cause it, it is still tough to not blame yourself. I think that is normal.

I SO relate to wanting to both wanting to lose weight AND see a BFP... spent last month being a little too hopeful on the day af was due (and came)... but realized then just how much I want to see that BFP. Since I didn't get it, I'm glad for a few more weeks to try to drop a few more pounds.
  • melodyg
    Sorry for all of the posts... I havent figured out how to quote multiple posts yet.

Anyway... my update for the week is that I lost .6 pounds (at an odd weigh-in so I am hoping for more next week!)... and I'm sticking around for at least 4 more weeks. :)

Goals for the week:
    Drink water (at least 64 oz/day)
    Walk outside 3x/week
    Do at least 30 minutes of exercise at least 2 other days
    Take meds (which I've slacked on a bit... which doesn't help with weight loss OR being able to exercise)
This discussion has been closed.