☘️ Terri
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,869 Member
    Options
    Machka said:
    BTW - Do I sound Canadian ... or Irish?
    You definitely sound Canadian. 😂

☘️ Terri

I ask because over here, when people guess where my accent is from, Canadian is the top guess but Irish is a very close second. A lot of people have guessed I'm Irish ... to the point were one or two haven't even asked me but have started talking about moving from one island to another, and which do I like better, etc. !!

USA is a distant third guess and in the last year or so, another state in Australia is a fourth guess.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Regarding the weather ...

The storm continue to rage until early this morning. We've had 42 mm of rain here but the highest rainfall not far from here was 146 mm so the catchments are full and there has been flooding. And we've had a whole lot of wind!

But things have calmed down a lot today. :)

M in Oz
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Machka - I am interested in your accent. Where in Canada are you from? There are some very distinctive vowels there. We have a famous reporter on the BBC, who is from Brunswick, and she has a very unusual Acadian accent. Quite different.
    I'm sure Canada has as many different regional accents as Britain. Apart from French of course. ( It still makes me laugh when people talk about a British accent.)

KJ - I am also curious. How did you get hold of so many egg cartons and where on earth do you store stuff? :o What an amazing creation! Someone should be putting you forward for "Childminder of the Year" !!!!!

Wouldn't mind a dinner out tonight. Might run it past DH. Rather go today than over the bank holiday. :#

Kate - Good luck with your travel plans. That Ryanair boss is an absolute b.....d. I refuse to fly with them, but you might not have much choice.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka - I am interested in your accent. Where in Canada are you from? There are some very distinctive vowels there. We have a famous reporter on the BBC, who is from Brunswick, and she has a very unusual Acadian accent. Quite different.
    I'm sure Canada has as many different regional accents as Britain. Apart from French of course. ( It still makes me laugh when people talk about a British accent.)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

I'm from western Canada ... BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. My accent is probably a combination of Alberta and Manitoba especially. I lived in Alberta for something like 23 years in total and Manitoba for 13 years.

Alberta and Manitoba have slightly different accents and ways of talking.

For example, a lot of people think that Canadians say "eh" at the end of every sentence but that's not true of all Canadians. I've never particularly noticed in western Canada, but did notice it in those who I met from eastern Canada. In Manitoba, people say "yet" at the end of sentences.

"Have you had the potatoes yet?"
    "Did you call your mother yet?"
    "The sky is blue yet!"

After a few years there, I noticed that I was putting "yet" at the end of sentences in emails to my mother and in other writing. I'd write ... then go back through and delete all the "yets"!

Manitobans also tend to ... dull down their vowels. I noticed it first when they said the name of one of the towns: Melita.

Coming from Alberta, and after having learned quite a bit of French in school, I would pronounce Melita as Mel-eeta. But nope, it's pronounced a really dull Mel-eh-ta.

But then, in Alberta, I noticed my Great Grandmother and now my Mother pronounce "day" as "dee". Sun-dee, Mon-dee ... etc. I don't think I do that ... hope not!

And somewhere, I picked up the habit of pronouncing my mid-word "t"s. Butter ... not budder. Often ... not offen. Saturday like Saturn ... not Sadderday or Sadderdee or Sadurn.

Here in Australia, although I probably don't have the accent (although a few think I do), I have picked up some of the terms and feel more comfortable throwing them into sentences.

And at university, I find myself changing my pitch just slightly ... slightly higher ... among all the Asian students to, more or less, match that of the girls.

Language is an interesting thing!!

Machka in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Machka~ wonderful piece and you sound just like I thought you would..
    you and your hubby are champions in my book.. and I know how hard this has been for both of you.but with a positive attitude ,great things can happen..
    working 10-3 today nobody in the office today so i will field phone calls and get my work done with no people bothering me..
    I must say my place is a mess so when i finish walking the dogs and feed my DFIL will try and get through at least some of the paperwork.. i didnt file all the attorney paperwork and tomorrow morning we are finally closing out my dads estate.. a very long 19 months..
  • Machka9
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    I have a question for you ladies:- I have days when I am either too busy to eat or I am eating a lot of veggies and I just don't meet my calorie requirements (according to mfp). Does this make weight loss harder? Sometimes I feel like I am eating a "treat" just to get my calorie count up. Does this happen to you? What do you do?

Sending out good thoughts and vibes to all who need/want them! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

What is your calorie requirement according to MFP?

It's OK to eat less now and then. If you eat really low for a long period of time, that's a problem, but if you do it once a week or something, it's all right. :) If anything it will make you lose weight quicker ... if that's what you want.

If, however, you're aiming to maintain ... go ahead and have that "treat". :) I often eat toast with nutella and honey as a late night snack. :p

Machka in Oz

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies, and I do mean morning. Up at 2:30, couldn't sleep anymore.

KarenNY
    - how did Rachel's spa day turn out?

Beth - what brand of recliner did DH get? I've been looking at getting one with the "boost", hadn't been to the furniture stores to try any out yet. Our old saggy recliner is actually great for sleeping, needs lots of pillows but once snuggled in, all is well.

Michele - yellow jackets. Yikes! If we find the nest, we spray real early in the morning before many of them are up yet. Tell Vince to be careful!!

Machka - the little bit of Canada I heard in your accent was a word like "about" you pronounced (with the merest hint) "aboot". I don't think it was that word, but similar. Otherwise I thought your accent was pretty much Pacific Northwest!

Kate - glad your DEXA scan turned out well. I'm on the same regiment as you for osteopenia with exercise, calcium, and Vitamin D. I think I'm due for another DEXA - it's been 2 years. Hope the pilots get things settled and you can get your trip to Spain in good order.

Barbie and all of you updating wills - it's been ten years and we need to update ours. The attorney that did ours is a family friend so hopefully it will be easy. Our main update is naming new second-in-line executor in case something happens to BFF. Her son is willing to step in. I was reviewing mine - interesting how our thoughts change throughout the years regarding who will get what IF there's anything left, lol. I would love to spend on enjoyable times with loved ones down to the last penny and not have to hand it all over to the medical establishment :# .

Tracey
    - What's up with your hand and wrist? Carpal tunnel? Yes, Rodger and my DH would make good roommates, lol. Meal planning I'm doing is just for me it turns out. :/ My DH is now on a chicken strip/steak fries kick. Easy to prepare - dump everything on the cookie sheet, bake for 15 minutes. So will make sure to have several bags of those in the freezer. He said that's what he'd eat, with some trips to Burger King or McDonald's. He does well with cold cereal. He's fretting about me and doesn't have much of an appetite. :( But he still weighs more than me, B):D

Heather
    - thanks, I know it won't be pleasant for a few days but I'll be OK. DH is concerned I won't be able to get into his car after the surgery -it's a low older Toyota - BFF has offered to pick me up and bring me home, she has a tall SUV with a step up that might be better. So neat that your son and family are able to do the house swap and really experience living in other countries. I'd be in a frazzle as well getting our place ready.

Kelly
    - wow, won't be long now until Lauren's baby#2 arrives. So cute how Joaquin is preparing for new baby, bet it takes you back to when your kids were little. I loved that spaceship, how awesome! You were very resourceful getting all those egg cartons - glad the spaceship will have another home at some point. Love hearing about your butterflies hatching, by the way. We don't see monarchs out here (yet) but there's one with similar markings that shows up some years - I don't think it migrates though.

When my cleaner came on Tuesday, she looked a little beat. Said she'd spent all the prior day starting to clean the house of her 2 bachelor uncles. They are in their 80's, hoarders. Her aunt paid her $500 for a day.... Collette said there of course were piles all over, the kitchen was a hazmat zone with years of grease she had to scrape, wearing a mask and heavy gloves. Looking around my house, there's a little clutter from everyday living but its no where that bad even though there are days I think so. One of the great things about having Collette come is the house gets picked up.

I'm getting a spreadsheet ready with pertinent financial information - bank/IRA accounts, phone numbers, logins and passwords. Will stick it in a safe place and let DH and BFF know its whereabouts.

Will be running around this morning tying up loose ends. Pop in at the hospital and talk to billing and make sure everything is up to snuff, and try to get an estimate about how long this thing will take on Monday w/recovery providing I feel OK. Drop off apples at my old workplace. Allergy shots, getting some REAL ginger ale at the health food store, another big bag of dog treats. Many stops.

Ok ladies, better get back to my list.

Make it a super day! <3

Lanette
    Chilly (47f degrees!) SW WA State

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    I have a question for you ladies:- I have days when I am either too busy to eat or I am eating a lot of veggies and I just don't meet my calorie requirements (according to mfp). Does this make weight loss harder? Sometimes I feel like I am eating a "treat" just to get my calorie count up. Does this happen to you? What do you do?

Sending out good thoughts and vibes to all who need/want them! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

If you eat under calories a couple days of the week it would be similar to 5:2 fasting where women eat 600 or less calories 2 days of the week. It really helps weight loss. Another diet strategy is calorie cycling where you eat over some days and less others but average your allotted calories for the week.
  • Machka9
    Options
    WELL! Maybe there is a reason for me being up this early! One of my butterflies just emerged from his chrysalis! Always an amazing thing to watch! It is still dark out so I will let him go in an hour or two when it is a little lighter.

Nice!

Machka- I loved the video and agree with the others, you definitely sound Canadian. But it was wonderful to hear your voice. Now when I read your post, I will hear your voice as I do so! <3 I do a lot of "brain" reading and research as well. It started for me as interest in children's brain development, but when my sister was diagnosed/passed from her brain tumor I branched out into the adult brain.

Sorry about your sister! But the brain is a fascinating thing

About the egg cartons- When I first saw a photo of the egg carton space ship that a school built in their media center, I put the word out to my daycare parents to start saving them for me. I had about 50 by the end of a month's time (this was in July). So, knowing that space week was just a couple weeks away; two weeks ago I posted my need for egg cartons on our community facebook page. I got about 400 egg cartons in about two days!

Well done!!

I remember putting out the call for egg cartons for a project when I worked in childcare many years ago. You go from practically none to be overloaded with the things!!

M in Oz
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Lanette ~ Thanks for mentioning the will update! I recently mentioned to my DH that perhaps we need to update our wills as ours were done over 40 yrs ago. He said not to bother because everything would go to our only child (son now 44). But, you made me wonder when you mentioned updating the executor. I have no idea who ours is or would be. Need to check it out.

Elena ~ Welcome! Come here to chat with a bunch of friendly and caring women.

Kelly ~ I tend to eat very little for breakfast and lunch most of the time just so I can enjoy a larger evening meal. If I eat a large lunch I then try to limit what I eat in the evening. Even that huge hamburger/fries meal I had yesterday did not show up on the scale today.

Carol in GA who is yearning for Fall!
  • LuciBThinner
    LuciBThinner Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Machka You did a terrific job on the video! So articulate and well spoken. I couldn't tell for sure what your accent was. It's beautiful though...I think a combination of dialects. I had a brain injury 11 years ago which ended up being diagnosed as early onset dementia. Fortunately, they were wrong as it is improving with time. I was only 51 at the time, and my family had a history of dementia/Alzheimer's.

Kelly I am amazed at your talent in turning egg cartons into a very recognizable space ship. I always used large boxes or something...the kids had to really use their imagination!

Amber You are right on the staggering numbers of abuse cases and how that doesn't even include the ones who never tell. I am still involved in getting help from the women's shelter in our area. They are wonderful about providing counseling and other help along with shelter and placement.

Healing rash under breasts I used "jock itch" cream to heal and now use antiperspirant to keep the area under there dry. I was all set to market inserts for bras, but someone came out with the idea of disposable pads before me.

Michele We have had terrible trouble with yellow jackets this year. We have the bait out with apple juice, and we also pour gasoline on their nests and burn them!

Luci in WNC

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options

==============

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,917 Member
    Options
    :) I have lived in many different parts of the US so I'm able to hear and locate a lot of different accents. Lately I have been watching TV shows produced in Britain and Australia and am becoming more able to discern different regional accents. It is a fascinating adventure;

:)Kelly, Your projects are awesome. I admire everything you do.

:) About birthdays and anniversaries---I like no celebrations and no gifts but I am not always successful in making that clear to others.

<3 Barbie
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Daughter age 4days old to 5yrs old could you tell she’s abused? This is how she always looked. Rich father y his rich family would you know? It’s a myth the rich don’t have this problem that it’s only the poor. (My parents were poor I was dirty kid who wouldn’t wear shoes but I was loved well taken care of until Dad brain started to shut down from his on the job accident. Plus I was homeschooled when taken by the abuser so no teacher to notice me gone...Sisters-in-law announced to school she was getting married hoping someone would help but nothing they figured of she’s not the good girl we thought she was. Sad that was their interpretation as I spoke to those people years later the abuse was now public knowledge court room packed we were the talk of the town!
    d383hs7s3qga.jpeg
    b1nb3zwtl70c.jpeg
    0kkhbfooi0bv.jpeg
    1o3nbk02f0lm.jpeg
    lyryf9qr6xhr.jpeg
    k51o0ipkzhtb.jpeg

Debby VA - My Daughter was 7yr old when we escaped started court process. I thought I had protected her well,but yes stuff comes out.Abusers hide child abuse threaten little ones to not tell Mom. Common place. Sounds like a start even tho another of his kids goes to that school sure that Mom is in the same boat the school may already know the issues with him. I’ll pray she’s brave enough to try.

Machka- After Dads brain injury we learned a lot too including that Dad has to do a lot of sudoku to other brain teasers daily to keep his brain going use what’s left start new connections. Now he’s way better than before but was a long road.

KJ- Lol my family doesn’t cut girls nails only boys. Girly girl thing lol. I looked like a wild child my hair won’t stay down no matter what you did. Nurse for me y Daughter scrubbed us cause they saw dark patches (virtilgo mixed race that was our skin not dirt OUCH!) . My Daughter has a scar where they rubbed a patch of her natural skin off behind her ear! Signs of abuse are more NO eye contact even from Mom. When you say speak with the father Mom gets nervous 😬 (Of course escapees have same fear blurt out I’m divorced or escaped him) . Child seems overly adult like or fits of rage or touches another child inappropriately. My Daughter could spot kids in abuse situations she saved a kindergarten boy who got in trouble for touching kids private’s she ran out the class grabbed the school cop said some adults touching him bad. Was his Uncle. She also spotted another the man was arrested had hurt both his Daughters the Mom divorced right away luckily judge gave him maximum sentence times multiple counts . He made sure their 18+ when the pos is out! Another sign is storing food in the back pack asking for one for Mom or siblings means no food their afraid of not eating. My Daughter never broke that habit she still stores food so do I.
    Loud pop noises cause shaking severely for longer than other kids. You meet Dad he acts crazy in front of folks giving you all the creeps! My abuser left impression of old crazy man then they looked at me a child with a baby. Yeah red flags 🚩 but no one did anything. Another is parent asking for education the other saying no or she’s a girl she doesn’t need computer classes! Sadness about them. I see it in old photos versus now I was so sad looking now I glow happily. Daughter was well groomed so you couldn’t have found a speck of dust on her back then she was cleaner than the other kids. When we escaped found out they had chose a old 55+ old husband for 7yr old Daughter so the custody fight was to the death for me! I wasn’t about to let that be her fate too! Now she’s Navy happy y free.

I don’t always meet my calories but I ate a lot feel stuffed. 2pieces of 70cal fish,green beans,carrots,salad,fruit y water still under I don’t worry about it I know I ate.

JR has discovered how to call on Apple Watches ⌚️ Noooooooooooooo!
    Another thing on top of climbing! I can’t catch a break.He got stuck in the high chair wish the booster seat we ordered would hurry up! 1lb he’s over the weight limit of this one! Too hyper to eat standing still!

Found gout tart cherry pills for gout not sure if they work but going to have hubby try them.I can hope. He’s slowly switching to Decaf.

Amber Tx