WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2019

Options

Replies

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Kay NY ~ Your daughter is lovely!

Amber ~ Were you in a polygamy situation?

Carol in GA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) I have lived in many different parts of the US so I'm able to hear and locate a lot of different accents. Lately I have been watching TV shows produced in Britain and Australia and am becoming more able to discern different regional accents. It is a fascinating adventure;

<3 Barbie

I've been here in Australia so long (10 years!) that I don't hear the Australian accent anymore. It just sounds "normal" to me ... unless it is a really strong broad or cultivated accent.

"They separated Australian Accents into broad, general, and cultivated varieties."
    http://dialectblog.com/2011/07/10/types-of-australian-accents/

To me, there's actually a 4th ... something. I'm not sure I'd call it an accent exactly. When I mention it, people seem to know what I'm talking about and everyone says it's common in South Australia, although I've not noticed it there. I've noticed it in Victoria and occasionally in Tasmania.

The person has a broad accent but talks in such heavy slang, uses so many abbreviations, speaks so quickly, and jumbles it all together that I can't understand a word they're saying. (There's a region in Canada that does something similar.) I was at a campground once, and a couple were chatting to me about the cycling tour I was on ... he was asking me questions and his wife was translating!! But I know he was speaking "English"!

What's funny is when my husband, who has something between a general and cultivated accent suddenly drops into a broad accent when he's talking to tradies. It catches me off-guard!!

And funny to me is that although my accent sort of fits with something between a general and cultivated accent (it's not an Australian accent, but by the nature of my work and education etc. the terms I use put me in there somewhere) ... the tiny bit of Australian accent I can mimic is a few words in the broad accent. Especially the word "nine"! :p

M in Oz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Tracey I have been having trouble with my left wrist. I wear a support bandage at night and have started doing wrist stretches I found on line. I have been doing them about three days now and starting to feel a difference. I have to be careful when I do a twist motion with it. I am trying to do more stretching period for all my joints.

Wasps in the ground are territorial so yes you need to be careful around them. We had a nest once and I got stung 4 times. Each time I stopped what I was doing to make sure I would not have an allergic reaction. If we get wasp nests up in our eves I leave them alone. Wasps help pollinate and do kill off other pests like grubs. If they do get to close to the entrance to our home then I get rid of them. They got into our light post two years ago, and sadly they had to go.

There is also a wasp called a mud dauber which is not so aggressive and not likely to cause any problems unless provoked. As long as that nest is not right by an entrance I leave them alone. We did get a type of wasp that was making a home in our walls. I learned you do not plug your holes until after you get rid of them because they will make new holes to get out.

Bugs don't bother me much because of all the gardening I do. My mom was very matter of fact too. I think it was from her experience of growing up in India. I always ask myself the pros and cons of trying to do away with the bug. Many of the bug killers are neurotoxicins. Do I really want to be spreading that into the environment and to me? Sometimes the answer again is sadly yes if the insects create a safety concern.

If you do decide to spray them do it late dusk when they have returned to the nest. If you do it during the day you will not get them all. You will end up repeating the treatment. So if I do it I want to use the least amount of insecticide I can. I also try to do it when they are just setting up a nest. Again because then I need use only minimal insecticide.

Margaret
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Kelly I can only imagine how much the other daycare providers must love you and your generous spirit. That space ship is going to make a lot of kids happy.

Concerning slowing/stalling of weight loss, I agree with everything Mary said. I would add that the less a person weighs, the fewer calories are required to maintain their weight. If you are already at a fairly low-calorie intake, there are a few things to consider: exercise/lifestyle (yours is very active, I would say), accurate weighing/measuring/logging of everything consumed so as not to "fudge" here & there which can stall weight loss, adequate sleep/reduction of stress to lower cortisol levels, and undiagnosed metabolic issues like insulin resistance & hypothyroidism. And one more thing, although I doubt from your posts this applies to you very often: pre-packaged foods have to contain at least the amount of food stated on the box. That means, for example, a Stouffer's single-serving Chicken Alfredo has at least 570 calories in it. It might have more. Just not less. <3

Karen in Virginia
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lanette: Sending good thoughts for your upcoming surgery. :heart:

Heather: “Feel the fear . . .” I don’t fear the travel by air on my own. I’ve done it before, a few years ago when DGS#2 was born. I am not at all comfortable about leaving DH at home on his own. His sister offered a possibility that sounds good on paper but not so sure it is viable. She suggested we take the RV to her house and I could fly out from Boise, ID. The problem is her cooking. He has loads of restrictions and she doesn’t realize how bad things can be if he gets the wrong foods. He could cook for himself in the RV if he would be willing to do it. He says he’d rather stay home. :ohwell:

Machka: The only Canadians I know are in BC and most of them sound like people from Oregon. I met a woman from Alberta who sounded a bit like you & knew some boys from New Zealand who came to Oregon to visit their grandma when I was in grade school. They’re the closest match to your accent that I’ve heard. :star:

Yesterday I got my hair cut by our regular woman. I’m not thrilled. Next time I get shaggy I’m going to try someone else. Travel plans are still up in the air, as I mentioned. I’m feeling a bit like a tug of war toy with the “should I do this or should I do that” question to resolve. It isn't easy for me.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Katla Do you have Helping Hands in NW Oregon? They might be able to offer a solution or direct you to another appropriate resource. I remember from a seminar I attended that they are fairly flexible. It would at least be worth a phone call to inquire about their services if there is one near you. xo

Karen in Virginia
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I still remember the Judge asking if I give Daughter to him what will you do?
    I simply said the truth “I will have to go back” “I won’t leave her”.

All the Judges had my life in their hands luckily they realized it .
    Abuser has STDs so we had to be tested for a decade.

Amber Tx
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Heather ..."feel the fear and do it anyway" ... perfect attitude!

Karen NY ... your daughter is beautiful!

Lanette... my vegetable boxes are on a schedule. Once a week or every other week. But you can suspend or cancel at anytime. They're only billed one box at a time. The Lift/power recliner we bought for my husband was a "Nesbit." Since the delivery goobers failed to give me any literature on the recliner. I'm not certain who the actual manufacturer is. My husband still likes it.
    Kelly ... I'm with Mary and KarenVA, intermittent low calorie delays will not destroy your metabolism. I know there's a lot of conflicting information out there, but I don't buy into the starvation mode thing. Even if you were to eat at an unhealthy deficit long term, you would eventually lose weight. (i.e., prison camps, anorexics, etc.) Not that I'm suggesting you do that.

So you ladies have inspired me to copy my important wallet items, get going on an updated will and organize important papers in the house ... thanks! Thanks too for the flower identification!

Beth near Buffalo

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Katla ~ I am sure that this is a difficult decision for you! Hugs!

Carol
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    <3
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Katla <3
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    Working on hoarding food got it half full no freak out yet so good sign! Don’t think I can let it go lower lol Hubby keeps asking if I want him to buy more. Lol darn mans ready to restock it all I’m trying to stop the food hoarding not make it bigger! Lol he even asked if I need another pantry he would build it too! Thinking when it’s low enough putting the cleaning supply hoard in its place. Lol or toilet paper 🧻. Or turn the area into a fun kids project spot to let paint dry or store supplies like the construction paper to pens 🖊.
    vtwklpkhnxtd.jpeg

Daughter after we escaped pool one she still didn’t understand we were free but you see the look she gives versus the other kids on guard tense animalistic in ways. Our attempt at a 1st haircut 💇 ourselves CPS advice lol her poor bangs were butchered but made it easier to hide! Her high school Senior photo lol on a pirate decade later after freedom! She had started the Navy processing to follow her dreams. Hubby a big guy so they stayed away after him he could eat them for breakfast spit nails! My tough man with a gentle soul. He sees her as his own which is wonderful she got to witness a Goodman knows now that if grandpa good y my family plus step dad then not everyone a monster. Helped her over her fear of marriage especially Hubby saying if a boy hits you tell me I’ll run him off! Your moving back in with us y your brother!
    el0cir3saln6.jpeg
    g1na7dyqm5k6.jpeg
    f2xxbbnxdol6.jpeg
    d33tuavlz1gz.jpeg

Beth Buffalo- Brand : Bellanest found it in the fine print on the site. Never heard of it but apparently they make beds too.

Carolina Cart 🛒 being unveiled can hold adult weight! For older family member who can’t walk good or use electric carts. Also for larger kids like JR or disabled kids to adults who can’t walk without assistance.
    macdz7qkn4ma.jpeg

Amber Tx
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Amber Tx Nicely organized pantry! Caroline's cart is ingenious.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    Karen- My friend said Houston Texas has them a lot of stores are getting them too! Hope we will soon Best product ever!
    Lol yeah I organize everything I can’t remember where so put stuff so made it simple yet still loosing stuff! Can’t find my weighing scale.Told Hubby he got excited thought I was going to allow him to hit bed bath beyond by himself! He’d come out with more than that We’d end up with stuff will never use on top of the 1 item! Can see him now a bunch of tumbler cups with football teams to AS seen on tv 📺 junk! Probably new set of pans with no place to put them again! It’s an excuse for him to shop! Lol he looked sad when I said no.

Uncle bought JR a giant basketball 🏀 hoop hubby all excited trying to figure out how he’s going to strap it down. He’s bringing it in his truck right? He asked. Told him you know my family probably got it strapped to the roof balancing on his boat with windows down lots of top y grandma holding on to it on one side him on the other. Can’t go by my family’s truck size. Beverly Hillbilly music 🎶 on cause My Uncle finds it funny 😆.
    Amber Tx
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Amber ... you have certainly gone through a lot. Love the large pantry! I don’t actually have a pantry. Just an area between studs in the wall that was prettied up! I’ll take a pic after I straighten it up! I do have some shelves in the basement that store canned goods and extras that don’t have room in the kitchen but we get the occasional field mouse down there. Everything has to be stored in plastic containers.

Beth
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I have a very small pantry. I wish it were bigger, but it works.
    h0xieox8jfq4.jpeg

Okie in the TX Hill Country