WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

New ladies - a bit of info on me, I had surgery last Monday for an incisional hernia by my belly button. From one of the holes they punched in me 7 years ago to take out my gallbladder. Anxious to get back to doing some workouts, have been sidelined for over a week now and even before then. :(

Karen in VA - I'm not grumpy anymore, or shall I say I'm back to normal grumpy, lol. I took a zyrtec and Pepcid this morning, just hopped out of the shower and nothing seems to be itchy yet (except incision and it's more tickly). Have Aveeno ready just in case.

Heather
    - ice pack, woman!

MFP was grumpy this morning and wouldn't let me log in until just now.

I'm getting ready to head out the door to see the surgeon, pick up the medical records from my surgery last week (I like to read about the gory details, lol) then off to get allergy shots, a little grocery shopping, fast food for DH then I'll likely be pooped.

Hope the surgeon has time to tell me how to NOT get another hernia. Like Heather, my BMI is running around 23.9. Maybe he wants me to bring it down a bit to get some fat out of my tummy/reduce pressure.

New gals - there are so many of you, welcome! Hugs to all of you, I haven't had a chance to do more than skim. You've come to the right place. <3

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lanette: Keeping my fingers crossed that you don't wind up with another incisional hernia. OUCH!!! Being rid of a painful gallbladder is wonderful, as I know from personal experience. Having surgical site issues is another matter. I hope your doctor is able to provide effective help. :heart:

Katla
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,060 Member
    Options
    (((Sara)))
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    DonnaL1959 wrote: »
    One thing I am worried about is how quickly 1200 calories are used up! I have only 350 left and it's mid-afternoon. I know that 1200 is right for my height, weight and activity level. I need to make some changes to stick to this number though.

Try filling out the food diary a few days in advance. That way, you'll never run out of calories. I'm on 1310 calories per day. I'm going to shoot you a friend request so you can check out my diary, if you'd like to get some ideas. 😉

What did you choose for pounds lost per week?

ETA: friend requests don't seem to be working right now, will try later.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,940 Member
    Options
    :)Sara, I have never set weight loss goals because I have no control over my weight, but I have made plans/resolutions to do things like drink more water, walk more, change how I eat, etc. I have a step counter and I love the feeling of "getting credit" for the walking that I do.

:) My life is usually so simple and laid back but today I had to get up extra early to walk the dogs for two hours, eat breakfast, get dressed and help Jake take the dog to the groomer, then go to the dentist. Now I am home to do the things I normally do (ride the exercise bike and watch some favorite TV shows).
    Rho97070 wrote: »
    I'll typically post in the evening, but this morning's scale showed I dropped 1.3lbs so had to do a shout out! Yippee!

:)Congratulations

<3Heather, sorry about your injury.

<3 Barbie from NW WA
  • Katla49
    Options
    DonnaL: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. Best advice: Let MFP select your allowed calories based on your current weight and health. As you lose weight MFP will reduce your allowed calories. It is slow and steady progress and it works. Stop by here often to give support to others and get support, yourself. :flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    AZTeri2016 wrote: »
    Lanette Glad the rash is better. Are you less grumpy? ;)

_____

Today was the 1st day of school. Grandson seems relaxed about it, to my surprise. He did his Reading benchmarks today; Math benchmarks are tomorrow. Then we'll get into a groove and settle in for the duration...got my fingers crossed for this to be a good year.

For those of you who are new-ish, I am Learning Coach for my 13-year-old grandson, who is in a public online school program. He was finally diagnosed with autism this summer, after years of missed diagnoses and much hurt & misery. Last year was his first year of online school; it was better for him. The goal this year is to bolster his confidence, line up resources, get IEP in place, etc., and have him back in brick & mortar school for 9th grade next fall. He needs the socialization and practice of getting along, tolerating frustrations, etc. I wish we could do the academics separately and just use school as a social training ground. I hate for school to interfere with his academic progress. That sounds a little weird, LOL!!! I would like for him to be able to go to school for about 3 or 4 half days a week and continue his academic work online. It'll never happen.

Karen in Virginia

I would suggest exploring the options and seeing if there are any hybrid schools in your area. My daughter worked at one for a couple of years. The children are only in school 2 days a week, the rest of the time they are home. It's classical education so the school days included math, Latin, Logic classes. Parents and teachers work closely together on curriculum and social interactions.

Arizona Teri Your suggestion prompted me to do some exploring online and I discovered that, though there are no schools nearby with the classical education you describe, our county schools do offer students the option to take 2 classes at home each semester! If there is a reason to warrant it, more can be approved. I am betting we can make this work. You have no idea how relieved I am. Thank you sooooooo much!!!

I am also excited to realize that my granddaughter, now 10, will be able to take her PE/Health online when she gets to high school because she is on a swim team! Not waste her time doing PE in school when she's already a year-round athlete.

________

Grandson got his Math benchmark testing done this morning. Benchmark testing is stressful because the level of difficulty increases as the test progresses until the student starts missing a lot of questions. The tests are designed to stratify students so they end up in the correct academic level. Learning coaches cannot help at all. He finished, then wanted to watch a video and build cars online instead of doing more work. I told him that I didn't want to spend my time with him trying to corral him back into doing school work. I told him what time it was and when I needed to leave and advised him that whatever we didn't get accomplished I would just leave with a note for his mom to work on when she got home from work. He bargained for 10 more minutes of goof-off time and then got the rest of his work done without a meltdown or further distractions. I was amazed at how well that worked. 2 options. Gotta remember that.
    ________

Barbara Did you see this?
    Heather Ouch! You might end up with black eyes in a few days due to the blood under the skin following gravity. Then people really will think he hit you. :#B)

Rhonda Congratulations!

Lisa That is beyond exciting. Wowza! Big money at stake, keeping my fingers crossed.

Yvonne I adore Macadamia nuts. My favorite kind of nut. And I am SUPER impressed with your catio.

Katla Yes! Grandson is online at home again for this year (8th grade).

Karen in Virginia
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Rita Glad you husband's surgery is behind you. Take a breather. (((hugs)))
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,201 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Heather: Ouch! I hope you iced it. I find that helps when I have an argument with an immovable object! (Usually a cupboard door I have not closed!)
    Karen: Good call on the bargaining with DGS. options give them choices, so they feel in control.
    Rita: Good news about your DH coming through surgery.

I was locked out of the site this afternoon. So glad it was only temporary.
    Groceries bought and stowed, hair coiffured. Dance class tomorrow morning, Shakespeare Study Group after lunch.

Enjoy the rest of your day. It’s bedtime here.

☘️ Terri
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Rita I'm so happy to hear your husband is doing well. 💜
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Rita, so pleased it was good results...

Lisa
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Waiting for DGD. She is at hs swim team practice. She does online home school and participates in swim team and water polo to fulfill PE requirements. She is a hs freshman this year.

Rita - Glad DH is doing well.

Heather - I agree with ice suggestions.

I have endoscopy tomorrow morning so need to do ish eating before 7 pm. Checking to see if ulcers are healing.

Welcome to all those who are new.

Everyone take care Sue in WA
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Barbara that other link is broken. hopefully this one will work: