WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Allie - Don’t sabotage your hard work!! The candy was free so throw it away now! I’m giving you the boot!

<3

Mary from Minnesota/Arizona
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,910 Member
    Options
    Lanette I’ve finished my allergy shots about 6 months ago. Worked for a while but allergies back, just not as bad. DH has been fighting hives breakout ever since I retired 3 years ago. Found it to be connected to his nerves after many manny doctors and different meds. His current doc put him on citolopran (genetic Celexa) plus this surgery have knocked out the hives for now. I hope for his sake that is the end of the hives.

Perhaps your rash is similar?

RV Rita
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Janet- Albert Einstein Son like my Mom was a Schozophrenic he was tormented by it! The school thought Albert Einstein decided had retardation. Could barely speak by age 9! (Autism Spectrum perhaps or perhaps everyone with Autism just normal group of folks who think the same way with each other but we can’t understand them just like Albert teachers didn’t understand him?) . He was expelled from school went straight to college. He excelled in certain areas only.
    https://www.notablebiographies.com/Du-Fi/Einstein-Albert.html

Amber Tx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,310 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Lanette - I wanted to get everything I wanted on to the new laptop and make sure it is all functioning before I start writing again. My first task is to put the stuff that I previously typed into an online memo pad into Word. I will have to type it all out again, but it badly needs editing, so I don't mind too much.
    I have kept all photos prior to 2015 on Dropbox. Don’t want to clog the space up. They are on the separate hard drive as well.
    I have put all the music albums onto Dropbox. They are also on the hard drive. Unfortunately I transferred them all to Dropbox without checking where they were going, so I had to make a separate Music folder and drop them in by hand. All done now, but I can't find a way to play them from my phone, or tablet. (I have a Bluetooth speaker ).
    I am, I guess, ready to start writing again, but I now have to decide whether to just type up an ordinary Word document and have to fix it later, or use the KDP paperback template from the start. (Kindle Direct Publishing) . I have the old Createspace one and assume it is the same. As I have said before, I am not techy, but I do like a book to look like a book and not a typed up essay! My DH's effort was very below par. (Don’t tell him I said that :o )
    I'm a lot OCD, but if a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

Now to dare to sort out my new tablet, which is my birthday present from DH. :sad:

Had my hair trimmed this afternoon. Just a bit off to look tidy for the cruise.

Too much computer today and no pm bonus exercise except walking round the corner to the hairdressers.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,393 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Lynda - Tecnu arrived but haven't had a chance to use it yet, Aveeno working so well. Will apply it this afternoon and give it a try. Also got the spray which I see is homeopathic. :)

Rita - I really want to stop the allergy shots. I think they helped but are so painful anymore, pain lasting for days and days. I think I'd rather have my nose run, lol. The hives/rash I'm experiencing right now is due to the adhesives in the drape (I swear they used duct tape and ripped it off!) and then a secondary blow over the rest of the tummy which was where they used the iodine.

Still taking care to thoroughly soap up the area when I'm in the shower in case there's residual still left there.

Who knows, perhaps that with the antiobiotics they put in the IV and/or the hydrocodone I was created a perfect trigger.

Just reading up on the internet more about the Pepcid or Tagamet combined with Benadryl or Zyrtec providing relief for hives and skin rashes. I can attest, this works.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Amber TX: We had a hideous raccoon problem a few years ago. They went under our house by tearing the vent screens apart and built themselves a den. We had insurance that paid for the repair, thank goodness. We spent most of a winter with no heat other than electric heaters in our bedroom and a natural gas fireplace. The abatement people went under the house and cleaned out raccoon poo, ruined insulation, and furnace duct pipes, then had to replace the ducts, plastic ground cloth and put in fresh insulation. We had heavy duty metal screens put on the outside of the foundation that have kept the racoons out from under the house since then. We’ve also stapled bags of mothballs at entry points below our deck. The moth balls are effective critter repellant. Loads of work, but effective. Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:

Kim: Congrats on finding your favorite ice cream flavor. Enjoy every bite! :smiley:

Rhonda: I had smoker parents, too. Going away to college allowed my lungs to kick out crud and repair themselves. Going home for summer break was a one time event for me. I switched colleges and never moved home again. My parent’s smoking shortened their lives and ruined quality of life. :sad:

Machka: I hope you are able to stay dry and warm throughout the storm. :heart:

Sue in WA: I hope the endoscopy shows that your ulcers are healing well. :star:

Barbie: Your comments to Sara are brilliant! I’ve been happy with letting MFP set my calorie goals, and my ability to earn extra calories by exercising. :smiley:

(((Lanette))): I’m delighted to hear that you’re still participating with the Master Gardeners. Taking the course almost 40 years ago was a wonderful experience for me. I learned so much and enjoyed it tremendously. I still use what I learned on a regular basis. My own garden includes purplepod bush beans and blueberries. I live in a townhouse and have limited planting beds next to my house. :heart: I’ve filled up my time with yoga classes, participating on a city committee and working on projects with the horse group that I belong to. :bigsmile: I’m happy that you’ve found a solution for your rash. :flowerforyou:

(((Allie))) So sorry to hear about Chester. :heart: :broken_heart: Great news for your DFIL’s improvement. :star:

Regarding weight loss goals—I let MFP set my calorie goals and I choose foods that agree with me to fill those goals. I eat things I’ve always loved and keep track of portion sizes so that I don’t eat too many calories. I have been lactose intolerant for decades but the market place has made lactose free milk available. Cheddar cheese works well for me, but cream cheese requires lactaid. Ordering in restaurants is not impossible, but it can be a challenge. DH has a bigger challenge in that area since he has been put on a fodmap diet by his doctors.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,642 Member
    Options
    AZTeri2016 wrote: »
    Good morning. Pip - I see that you ride to and from the gym. I wish I could do that and actually might start later when it's cooler out. The main road to it is not a safe ride, but there is an alternative route that takes a little longer, so we'll see. :)

I spoke with my trainer yesterday and we're switching Friday's training to Thursdays. That will be back-to-back training sessions, but I suspect he'll mix it up so I'm not working the same muscle groups. I'll give that a shot for a while and see how my ride goes on Saturday. I'm also going to plan pasta for dinner Friday night. If that helps me go further on Saturday, then I'll stick with it for a bit. I'd really like to add 5-8 more miles to our ride this weekend.

Still waiting on insurance approval for the next vein ablation. I wish they would hurry up, that leg is bothering me. I do wear my compression stocking when working out, but not riding - it's just too hot here for that! I'll put it on when I get home though. It is kind of odd that I'm feeling this because I didn't really have pain in the other veins, even though they were worse. Maybe I just wasn't aware of it? Or the pain was different? I know the swelling I used to have in my right ankle is gone now, so blood isn't pooling any more.

Isn't aging fun? Sigh. But it beats the alternative!

It’s just been habit for years now, I don’t think about it anymore
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Karen in VA - when I talked to the surgeon yesterday about something for the rash, I mentioned Zyrtec or Benadryl with the Pepcid. He shook his head and said just Benadryl.

Zyrtec plus Pepcid works miracles... AND his nurses said it was a great idea, lol.

I took a Benadryl this morning at 6 after spending an itchy night last night. Still not doing the trick so had my Pepcid a little bit ago.

Voila. Doing much better now.

He's good with a scalpel and pretty cute. But he doesn't know diddly about how to make my rash feel better :D .

Lanette
    SW WA State

Surgeons may not be taking into account that Pepcid is actually a histamine blocker (H2-blocker) and Zyrtec is a different type of histamine blocker (H1-blocker). There are 2 types of histamine receptors in the body and even though most of the H2 receptors are gastric, blocking both types of receptors does a better job than taking just Benadryl or Zyrtec alone. It's more of a medicine thing than a surgeon thing. Surgeons may think of Pepcid as "acid medicine" rather than "H2-blocker" and think it wouldn't be helpful. The combination actually is helpful for many people, as you can attest to. xoxo

Karen in Virginia
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,393 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Karen in VA - when I talked to the surgeon yesterday about something for the rash, I mentioned Zyrtec or Benadryl with the Pepcid. He shook his head and said just Benadryl.

Zyrtec plus Pepcid works miracles... AND his nurses said it was a great idea, lol.

I took a Benadryl this morning at 6 after spending an itchy night last night. Still not doing the trick so had my Pepcid a little bit ago.

Voila. Doing much better now.

He's good with a scalpel and pretty cute. But he doesn't know diddly about how to make my rash feel better :D .

Lanette
    SW WA State

Surgeons may not be taking into account that Pepcid is actually a histamine blocker (H2-blocker) and Zyrtec is a different type of histamine blocker (H1-blocker). There are 2 types of histamine receptors in the body and even though most of the H2 receptors are gastric, blocking both types of receptors does a better job than taking just Benadryl or Zyrtec alone. It's more of a medicine thing than a surgeon thing. Surgeons may think of Pepcid as "acid medicine" rather than "H2-blocker" and think it wouldn't be helpful. The combination actually is helpful for many people, as you can attest to. xoxo

Karen in Virginia

Karen - Preach! B)

This was very good information to find out. Thank you again and again! <3

Lynda
    - the Tecnu spray is very cooling and feels great. Will hit the shower in a bit and use the gel afterwards and see how it does. ;)

I'm now at the stage where the redness and irritation is fading, but some itchiness remains. Angry nerve endings I suppose. BUT it's getting better.

The gods heard me say I wanted to stain the deck rails today....it has become quite overcast in the past couple hours and humid and looks like rain! :s It will keep!

Lanette B)

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    B)<3:)
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday dear ladies.
    Another HOT one here today. I am so looking forward to Fall weather and temps. I just hope we have some Fall. We went from winter cold, right to summer hot. Lots of rain.

Lisa--Happy dance for you over your grant. You have got what it takes.

RVRita--Glad that DH's surgery is done and now you can relax.

Allie--I am really sorry about Chester. They are an important part of the family and hard to say Good Bye. Great new about DFIL, I bet a lot of it is because you take the time to make sure he eats and gets what he needs.

Take care ladies, Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,079 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Amber I think you would enjoy the movie about Temple Grandin. She was autistic and went on to redesign where cattle go to meet their demise. It is a fascinating story. She had wonderful support from aunt and mother before they knew about autism. Her ways of finding ways to make her way of thinking work for her life is inspiring. That makes sense about Einstein. I feel for him and his family in trying to help their son.

There is research that is looking into gut bacteria, and the effect it has on autism.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Chester not doing well I have a feeling the time is coming where he will be going over the rainbow bridge.. it is just so tough losing a furbaby .. you love them so much and have been part of your family for so long, we never have enough time with them do we?

I'm sorry, poor Chester. My specialty with dog rescue is bringing the neglected and abused ones home with me. I become their forever home.

My promise to them is to listen when they tell me it's their time. Their signals are pretty straight forward. It breaks my heart every time.

My pack sends Chester wet licks and a puppy pile to comfort him. ❤
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Margaret and Amber

Dr. Temple Grandin spoke at the Richmond Forum April 27. My friend Ann has season tickets (a scarce commodity). She said it was one of the best Forums she's ever been to. I would really like to hear Dr. Grandin speak. She is one of my heroes.

Here is a link to her talk:
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Question ladies. I have been doing weight machines, and my 30 minutes on the treadmill 4 times a week for months now. Is it normal to still have sore muscles? I am fine Monday and Tuesday, but Wednesday and Thursday I am sore. Then recuperate Friday Saturday and Sunday. My husband has slowly increased his weight amount, but I am still getting that burning feeling on my amounts. I know guys and gals are different. I had mentioned it to my husband today, and he was surprised I am still feeling sore after all this time.
    💖Rebecca
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Rebecca You may have started with too much weight which takes longer for your muscles to recover from. If you keep advancing in weights, your muscles will just continue to be sore. Give your strength training a rest for a bit.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,273 Member
    Options
    Allie: Keeping you and Chester in my thoughts. May his path be smooth and gentle. 💕💖💕