WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,755 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS - I am in Ct too, yes he was our free dog, most expensive free dog we have had , he had 3 bladder stone operations,,, at $2.000 a pop.. my ex wasn't the best husband ,but as a pet parent and uncle to mine he is the tops..I dont think Tom is ready to let go just yet, he is taking him down for fluids under the skin tomorrow , and he also is on tramadol and antibiotics, I spent about an hour with him this morning, and he does much better in the afternoon and evenings then mornings... I told Tom I don't want to see him suffer and he knows that we are living on borrowed time...
    back to work today, only worked 5 hrs and people cancelling in hygiene and he wants to see a full schedule..
    one of the ladies where my DFIL is had a great idea, but it would cost money to do.. they really need someone with a handicapped accessible van to take patients at nursing homes to appointments,, if I could get one or even afford one I could really make a good amount of money doing that.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Has anyone heard from Michele? I've been watching weather channel news and worry for N Carolina where she lives. Dorian seems to be headed that way. My son and DDIL are in Virginia and so is Karen. I hope all of our friends and family members remain safe. :heart:
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Didn't check in yesterday, spent too much time catching up today, but gosh you gals mean so very much to me!

Karen in VA, your golden memory cabin sounds a little too rustic for this fourth generation city gal. We have electricity and so hot running water (thanks to the spring fed cistern and electric pump), central heat, woodstove and lately added propane for cooking. We even have cable for internet and TV. My cell phone works great, Joe's old flip phone works for calls but not for voicemail (something about 3rd party contract didn't include old system voicemail. To get it to work he'd have to go 1 mile down to the end of our lane or 1/2 mile out to the pavement and 1 mile up the road to the ridge. Hah, like he'd do that! A/C is the natural kind, morning fog and afternoon wind, works so well there are only a few uncomfortable days due the Chetco Effect. You're right. We think it's heaven. So glad you have those memories, so wish your GS could have such an experience :} Brava for your "two option" success! Love :heart: :love: the video of the bear scared away from garbage can by motion activated Halloween skeleton. Have added it to my "want to buy" list for when they next come to the stores (soon I think). But alas not found in Amazon and ack! Lost an hour down that rabbit hole :(
    Machka Thanks! when the fog burns off I'll try to get a pic of our ocean "peek" for you. Likewise your cabin too rough for me. Truly admire your resourcefulness as well as your fireplace baking gifts.
    AZTeri how I would have loved to study Latin in HS. Signed up when a freshman but since only 8 of us wanted Latin I those in charge figured there wouldn't be enough who stayed with it for the 4 years so we got stuck with French or Spanish. I chose the less practical one, alas! Down a pound and planning a 60 mi ride? Awesome!
    Julie congrats on the admin/paperwork progress. Fingers X'd for the new advisor and a better admin fit.
    Annie I too had a burger last night, but kept CI barely under CO by foregoing the fries. Sometimes a girl just has to have a bite of beef ;}
    Amber sending your daughter safe (and sensible!) thoughts.
    Rhonda Yippee for you indeed!
    Welcome Sara628588. You have discovered the antidote to job loss grief, walking eager dog for miles. Well done!
    Welcome DonnaL, your goals are right on target. As for fear of failing, our Heather says "Feel the fear then just do it." Or in the words of one of the gals in the movie Pom "Look that fear right in the face and tell it to go to #%((!"
    Yvonne ((hugs)) and yes, I love macadamia nuts, so don't have them in the pantry ;)
    Rita what a bad news/good news situation about your DH. Whew! Folding laundry has often been calming to me too. ;)
    Sue in WA fingers Xd for good endoscopy news.
    Kim "black licorice ice cream" I love ya' honey, but eeeeuuuuwwwww!
    Allie ((hugs)) for dealing with Chester's coming time. Not a great fan of the circle of life just now. :'( Sounds like you've found a need you could fill. Do you want help drafting a business plan to take to your credit union for a loan for the handicapped accessible van, bonding, training, certification, insurance and any other needed expenses? You GO gal!
    Barbie ditto what Karen in VA said. Thank YOU.
    Lisa likewise Yippee for your grant making it through admin. Finger's Xd for peer review, know however it works out you'll take what you learn onto bigger and better successes. And thank YOU for what you said, from one who's been out of control food-wise and inactivity-wise for weeks.
    Lanette, our deck's second coat has been stymied by its slow drying due our natural air conditioning (aka fog) sticking around way too long. We're doing other puttering: Joe replaced the bad top rails, I picked away at the laundry mountain. We hiked down to the cistern and measured the water levels and now will more strictly limit water use, no more 3 loads of laundry in a day! Glad you're aware of the detriment isolation is, and have renewed your interest in the Master Gardener's group you like!
    Michele, I'll see your mushroom ice cream and raise you the garlic ice cream they had at the Gilroy Garlic Festival. Urk.
    Janetr LOVE the Einstein quote and cartoon! Thank you!
    Heather "every day is a bonus" True that, need to keep that gratitude attitude foremost. Va Va voom! Even before starting your new healthy ways. OWW! can you copy from online memo pad to your Word document? Can you copy text from Word to KDP?
    Katla OMG for the racoon damage. Glad our under house chipmunks and squirrels got scared away by Joe's radio and light treatment. Thanks for the mothball reminder . . . will add it to my "to do" list.

OK so now its time to get up off my butt, put that load of laundry in the drier, dig up some potatoes, take Tumble for a stroll and put off that glass of red wine I'm thirsting for, for as very long as possible ;)

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD! Word for September: grit
    Steps-6262 vits-3 log-4 CICO-3 Tumble-3 mfp-3 AF-3
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    It's September? ... How did that happen? I've been off the thread here for about a week ... smh ... so much to read!! So I'm not going to respond to everything I read through 20+ pages. Just "Welcome" to the new ladies, hugs to those who have had challenges, high fives to those of you with accomplishments.

I've also decided we need a "laughing/funny" button. LyndaBSS ... love your wit! Lisa ... the egg halloween costume ... :D

August was just a bust for me. My weight stayed the same and that's not a great thing when I still have so much to lose. On the other hand ... my weight stayed the same! Yay! It didn't increase and really it could have with the food choices I made.

September ... well, let's just say I need to do something or get off the pot.

KarenNY ... you asked if my son was in his last year. Yes, he's a senior at Lipscomb. There have been some registrar/requirement questions so he has been working to ensure that he does, indeed, graduate in May. He most definitely needs to graduate because my husband is ready to retire!

Barbie, KarenVA, Lisa ... "I cannot control what I weigh"... perfect.

Love the stories, love the photos ... love all of you ladies!

Beth near Buffalo

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    <3:)<3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,755 Member
    Options
    Barbara Oregon coastie- you think that is something doable? I think it would really fill a niche...if you have any ideas please ket me know..
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    GrandMallie

Where in CT? I'm near Waterbury. ☺
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Pip – even if it rains, you’ll still be there. I know you

Lanette – glad you found a solution to your itching

After the Green Room went and started weedwacking (I cut the grass yesterday). As I was doing one part, Vince called to me and I got distracted. The weedwacker got my leg. The good part is that Vince started weedwacking so I just went behind him with the broom. Found these black clumps on the sidewalk, think it’s deer poop. So I used the ice chopper and swept it into the grass.

Oh, got a call from one gal on the board of Newcomers. Get this – she thinks I’d be real good in this one position, would I like a board position? Ahhhh…no I put her off saying “I have to think about it”. Next time I’ll say “I did hospitality for many years. It somewhat tied me down. I like not being tied down. Perhaps in a few years”

Karen – do you know we moved our generator here from PA thinking that it would get icy and we’d need it. We haven’t had to use it once. Of course, if we got rid of it then we’d need it. There have been times when we could have used the snowblower, but we just shoveled.

Katla – one time we had a snake by the garage. Did I tell you all about how I HATE with a capital H snakes. We tried putting mothballs near it, didn’t faze him one tiny bit

Rebecca – you’re having DOMS – Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. Nothing to be concerned about, we all get it

Katla – I’m here and doing fine. Thanks so much for your concern. We’re at the foothills of the mountains so we aren’t impacted at all by Dorian. As a matter of fact, some evacuees are here in Hickory! Haven’t been on for a while because we went to see Denise and PJ over the weekend. Just STARTING to get caught up

Jess just told us that in addition to having to neuter a cat she will have to spay a dog. Talk about hands-on

Here's Bashful[

img]https://us.v-cdn.net/5021879/uploads/editor/du/drgk9oht3s4f.jpg[/img]

Michele in NC
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,234 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    ☘️ Pooped and off to bed. I need to get up early tomorrow to do some prep for my Parchment Craft Group meeting after lunch.

DH has to go off tomorrow to have his skin graft checked out. He is prone to Basal Cell Carcenoma and the last one he had removed required a skin graft. Also he just got his annual bloods results back and discovered that all the aches and pains he thought were connected to his torn meniscus in his knee were caused by a deterioration in his under active thyroid. GP upped his thyroxine and he's skipping about like a spring lamb again (well, relatively speaking 😂)

We had a great time at our dance class this morning, and he still had the energy to clear up our gale blown garden after lunch. It's good to see him back on form. I had to rescue some gladioli and dahlias which had been blown over. They make a pretty display in our front hall.

DYD came for dinner tonight. We are hoping to get out for a trip on the boat on Saturday if the weather improves. The new engine makes such a difference.

Enjoy whatever remains of your Friday.

Michele: 😍 Bashful! Good to know that you are sheltered from Dorian.

☘️ Terri
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Oh, how sweet!
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    JR running around yelling I make Mess!!! Happily he’s so happy I don’t think I should stop him lol 😂.He even yelling stinky,gross,messy,y mess his favorite words lately!
    sc6pnq5csx48.jpeg
    Daughter-Navy- They told them to evacuate for Dorian storm but left them on their own.No busses no help nothing. Luckily a guy few girls grabbed her hopped in a car driving 2hours away to a hotel or house (think one has a house that way) their going to ride it out there.
    Dads church member is being released same base tonight from the hospital! The base has evacuated his brother luckily stationed same place has a car but is stuck waiting for him to be discharged pray they make it out safely!

Odessa like El Paso we got lucky no one hurt we know or family.Unless we heard wrong their all okay.Grandma y Uncle heading this way 14-24th. Better that way they need a break from the town at the moment.

Katla- the raccoon have eaten our door mat. We paid out of pocket for our roof damage y room.Biggest one has a genetic defect city is 4ft tall giant bipedal due to back issues muscular blinding monster! Tore the tiles y a hole in the roof next thing we knew the ceiling was leaking pulled all of Daughter stuff out of the room then boom behind me ! Ceiling collapsed was so exspensive. Luckily what fell wouldn’t have hurt no one falling was no wood just the popcorn ceiling to wet nasty spray attic insulation ! Hubby in a few years will be redoing it all after seeing it lol.Good news is I tossed ray bars up there killed all the mice 🐁 then we finished moving in! Yes no moth balls the guys advice scared me! Especially with a baby running about!

Rebecca- Some Women workout skip a day then workout so theirs a rest day in between.We get injured easier due to hormones or lack their of also. Periods ,ovulation,menopause hormone levels lead to injuries.

Karen- I have always thought DR.Temple was a genius a powerful wave of strength. Her story reminds me of all the patients y training it took so Mom could drive to cook with her special heart (form of retardation y schizophrenia). Mom could do stuff others couldn’t she kept a journal no one could read or understand it yet she’d turn to 5 different pages tadaaa theirs your aunts telephone number (was a number on different pages but page with a number in the middle or beginning may be someone else’s lol) .She knew everyone birthday that way was great Sunday School teacher for little ones they loved her.Wish Dr Temple could tackle others like chicken/turkey killing methods in slaughter houses .Think she could fix their issues too.

Amber Tx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,622 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Pip – even if it rains, you’ll still be there. I know you

Lanette – glad you found a solution to your itching

After the Green Room went and started weedwacking (I cut the grass yesterday). As I was doing one part, Vince called to me and I got distracted. The weedwacker got my leg. The good part is that Vince started weedwacking so I just went behind him with the broom. Found these black clumps on the sidewalk, think it’s deer poop. So I used the ice chopper and swept it into the grass.

Oh, got a call from one gal on the board of Newcomers. Get this – she thinks I’d be real good in this one position, would I like a board position? Ahhhh…no I put her off saying “I have to think about it”. Next time I’ll say “I did hospitality for many years. It somewhat tied me down. I like not being tied down. Perhaps in a few years”

Karen – do you know we moved our generator here from PA thinking that it would get icy and we’d need it. We haven’t had to use it once. Of course, if we got rid of it then we’d need it. There have been times when we could have used the snowblower, but we just shoveled.

Katla – one time we had a snake by the garage. Did I tell you all about how I HATE with a capital H snakes. We tried putting mothballs near it, didn’t faze him one tiny bit

Rebecca – you’re having DOMS – Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. Nothing to be concerned about, we all get it

Katla – I’m here and doing fine. Thanks so much for your concern. We’re at the foothills of the mountains so we aren’t impacted at all by Dorian. As a matter of fact, some evacuees are here in Hickory! Haven’t been on for a while because we went to see Denise and PJ over the weekend. Just STARTING to get caught up

Jess just told us that in addition to having to neuter a cat she will have to spay a dog. Talk about hands-on

Here's Bashful[

img]https://us.v-cdn.net/5021879/uploads/editor/du/drgk9oht3s4f.jpg[/img]

Michele in NC

True
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Margaret and Amber

Dr. Temple Grandin spoke at the Richmond Forum April 27. My friend Ann has season tickets (a scarce commodity). She said it was one of the best Forums she's ever been to. I would really like to hear Dr. Grandin speak. She is one of my heroes.

Here is a link to her talk:

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this interview. Wish it could be shown to all educators at the beginning of the school year.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,785 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS - I am in Ct too, yes he was our free dog, most expensive free dog we have had , he had 3 bladder stone operations,,, at $2.000 a pop.. my ex wasn't the best husband ,but as a pet parent and uncle to mine he is the tops..I dont think Tom is ready to let go just yet, he is taking him down for fluids under the skin tomorrow , and he also is on tramadol and antibiotics, I spent about an hour with him this morning, and he does much better in the afternoon and evenings then mornings... I told Tom I don't want to see him suffer and he knows that we are living on borrowed time...
    back to work today, only worked 5 hrs and people cancelling in hygiene and he wants to see a full schedule..
    one of the ladies where my DFIL is had a great idea, but it would cost money to do.. they really need someone with a handicapped accessible van to take patients at nursing homes to appointments,, if I could get one or even afford one I could really make a good amount of money doing that.

Allie, that is an incredible idea! We had a new resident brought to our home the other day. The family couldn’t afford the ambulance charge and hired her privately to do it.