October 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,443 Member
    Options
    @143tobe Congrats on finishing your HM and smashing your PR! Sounds like a tough course with all those hills. Glad you and your husband can run together (and you even saved his *kitten*)! Great job!!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    143tobe wrote: »

I beat my previous PR by almost 9 minutes (2:26:44)! My average pace went from an 11:10 minute mile to a 10:20 minute mile. In just two weeks! And on a course that was twice as hard. I'm sorry, I hope you all don't think I'm gloating but I am SO proud of myself.

Well done! And great work rescuing your husband! :)

Yes, indeed!!!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I'm following all the trail run talk. Austin Marathon is a trail run and from what I've been told, this will be a rude awakening. Up winding hills and over rocks, huh? At least I have nothing better to compare it to...
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    My new shoes came yesterday and I could NOT WAIT to take off in them! I promised myself and explained to the kids that after dinner, I would be gone for not more than thirty minutes, just to run. I didn't think I'd make it out the door. Stuff kept happening, life is demanding, things kept getting in the way, but I DID IT and IT. WAS. GLORIOUS. Gorgeous Fall evening - Perfect! The only thing I'd do (and will do) differently is add some reflective clothing and maybe some lighting and maybe a running belt. Other than that, it was so great! And while my pace wasn't amazing, it wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be!

I just bought Nox Gear Tracer 360. I have seen it on other runners and plan to use it as sunset is about to get a whole lot earlier (only a few weeks till we move the clocks again here). In the past, I have used belts, and arm flashy things, but this is so much easier to see in the dark.

5s8fyocmmd4c.png

Review when you've had a go. I keep looking at getting one. Fortunately I can now put it off for 6 months now but be keen to hear what you think.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    girlinahat wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Is the marathon distance in decline? Interesting read from the local paper ahead of Sunday's Twin Cities Marathon. Some of the comments are really idiotic.

http://www.startribune.com/twin-cities-marathon-has-a-defining-distance-of-road-racing-hit-the-wall/562099202/

Does this mean I might have a chance at placing in my AG if I just keep going?
    Marathons are hard. The commitment and training required really don't compare to preparing for a half. And yet, a half marathon is still a huge accomplishment! So I don't blame people for choosing shorter distances, and it's also my favorite race distance.

I dearly want to run an Ultra, but my recent marathon experience showed me that I need to go right back to basics, get some speed and consistency up, and focus on 10k races next year. I have a mental hurdle with that, as it almost doesn't seem worth getting out of bed for a 10k race. BUT marathon training takes so much time. I really want to be able to just run 20miles whenever I feel like it, but for me that's a day out of my weekend.

I'm trying to change my mindset that 10k is fine. I have a new challenger on the block - my sister, who took up running recently, who only finished chemo/radiotherapy back in June, has just done a 5k in under 30 minutes. And she's seven years older than me. this is war.

This time last year I thought I would build up and run a marathon. Then I looked at the training plan, and decided I don't feel the need to do a full. I no longer feel the need to to a half, though I would LIKE to one day. The length of time for training runs was just too much of a commitment for me in this phase of life - two young children.

I wonder if that's why so many over 35 take up marathon running, the kids are teenagers so they have the time to get out for 2+ hrs for a run. I had my kids in my 30s, so watch this space when I'm 45 haha

I may be the rarity. I have a 16 year old cross country runner, a 12 year old, and a 17 month old and I am 43! They're spaced out; I had one in my 20's, one in my 30's, and one in my 40's. I am busy as hell with all their activities and I usually run with my 17 month old but my reason for the marathon is, more than anything, just to lead by example. I only wanted to do a half; my husband convinced me I could run a full. My sister in law has three small kids, though, and runs marathons. Three small kids and no excuses not to run marathons. I think she likes them seeing mommy run marathons. She's mid 30's.

Well that's my excuse blown to smithereens bahaha. Well done, that's amazing! I'm always amazed by the parents who get out there with strollers and the like. I did one 10k pushing a stroller once. Was a pita.
  • kjkrentsa
    kjkrentsa Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    10/1 - recovery
    10/2 - 3.1
    10/3 - rest
    10/4 - 2.21

5.31 / 45 miles completed
    exercise.png

Forgot to use my inhaler before running - which really was a bad idea considering the cold air... Took 3/4 mile before I felt like me again then simply ran out of time and had to stop... Apparently the asthma didn't hold me back as much as I thought while running - I almost PR'd on the second mile! I must've been fueled by aggravation :-)

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    My new shoes came yesterday and I could NOT WAIT to take off in them! I promised myself and explained to the kids that after dinner, I would be gone for not more than thirty minutes, just to run. I didn't think I'd make it out the door. Stuff kept happening, life is demanding, things kept getting in the way, but I DID IT and IT. WAS. GLORIOUS. Gorgeous Fall evening - Perfect! The only thing I'd do (and will do) differently is add some reflective clothing and maybe some lighting and maybe a running belt. Other than that, it was so great! And while my pace wasn't amazing, it wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be!

I just bought Nox Gear Tracer 360. I have seen it on other runners and plan to use it as sunset is about to get a whole lot earlier (only a few weeks till we move the clocks again here). In the past, I have used belts, and arm flashy things, but this is so much easier to see in the dark.

5s8fyocmmd4c.png

Review when you've had a go. I keep looking at getting one. Fortunately I can now put it off for 6 months now but be keen to hear what you think.

I will. :) Watch for it posted to the FB group since I am not allowed to link to my reviews here. I did recently review the Trekz headphones but right now I am not sure if I remembered to post it to the FB group. :)

It probably be a while as I like to use things for a bit before commenting and right now it is just sitting on my desk.
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options

5s8fyocmmd4c.png

I have one, as well as the Light Hound for my dogs. My neighbor once commented he saw us coming from a long way. So many people have said something... even a lady driving by rolled down her window to ask where I got them. I run (and walk) my dogs around 5am and in the winter I absolutely love having them.
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options

5s8fyocmmd4c.png

I will. :) Watch for it posted to the FB group since I am not allowed to link to my reviews here. I did recently review the Trekz headphones but right now I am not sure if I remembered to post it to the FB group. :)

It probably be a while as I like to use things for a bit before commenting and right now it is just sitting on my desk.

Hey thanks for mentioning your other review. You posted it earlier and I mean to watch it, though I already have the headphones. I'm curious what you think of them.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Watch for it posted to the FB group since I am not allowed to link to my reviews here. I did recently review the Trekz headphones but right now I am not sure if I remembered to post it to the FB group.

I would like to read your reviews, and I am not on FB.

Could you copy and paste the from to an MFP blog entry...you can like those fully here to us. Somehoy, or another, i woild like to read them.

Thank you
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Watch for it posted to the FB group since I am not allowed to link to my reviews here. I did recently review the Trekz headphones but right now I am not sure if I remembered to post it to the FB group.

I would like to read your reviews, and I am not on FB.

Could you copy and paste the from to an MFP blog entry...you can like those fully here to us. Somehoy, or another, i woild like to read them.

Thank you

@chris_in_cal here's a video review of those I saw recently. I can't recall where I saw it posted though.

https://youtu.be/F0P94t6CRjc